(Topic ID: 42208)

No key for BackBox? Purchasing from someone - Little help?

By Beez

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by bumgahdna
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

huskyset.jpg
    22-9795.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Purchasing a DE 1994 pin from a guy but he doesn't have the key for the BackBox so we can put it down? Any easy ideas what to do??

#2 11 years ago

You can drill the lock out, i have had to do that several times. Only takes about a minute to do it.

#3 11 years ago

Just pick the lock. The CV I just got showed up with out keys. Had both open in about 30seconds.

#4 11 years ago

Either way works.

Picking the lock takes a little time and practice, but is a lot cleaner (no metal filings floating around) and you have a lock that you can eventually find the key for.

But if you don't have time to practice, a small 1/8th in to 1/4 in bit right down the center will hook the screw on the back of the lock and spin it right out. Problem is on some machines like Gottliebs with a locking bar behind the screw, your screwed because breaking the lock does not move the bar.

#5 11 years ago

Trickier to pick if its a double-bitted lock. Not impossible just more difficult - especially if you're talking about the lock in the head. I'm in the drill camp myself.

viperrwk

#6 11 years ago

I can't remember what a DE backbox lock looks like but on newer Stern's you can simply use a security bit to take out the screws and remove the lock without having to pick it or drill it.

#7 11 years ago

you can use a security torx bit to remove the lock plate and gain access,
    but most data east use a 3/8 Allen to lock the head upright.
    not usually bolted inside, then remove the lock plate once you get it home.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I can't remember what a DE backbox lock looks like but on newer Stern's you can simply use a security bit to take out the screws and remove the lock without having to pick it or drill it.

Yeah, That's what i was thinking...

#9 11 years ago

If you don't have the right bit to remove the security screws, you can use a small pair of vice grips to remove them. I have done this several times. It only takes a few minutes and there is no mess. I have made a huge mess trying to drill a backbox lock before, and still had trouble getting it out.

#10 11 years ago

Get ready for battery corrosion

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from GListOverflow:

Get ready for battery corrosion

Do you think it will take him that long to get into it or it's all ready corroded?

#12 11 years ago

On my Corvette I drilled down the nub in the center of the security bolt head so I could get a regular wrench in it.

#13 11 years ago

I use a pen clip and paperclip, gone in 60 seconds. Every pinhunter should learn how to pick a lock. Search utube for tutorials.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from z28dan:

you can use a security torx bit to remove the lock plate and gain access,
    but most data east use a 3/8 Allen to lock the head upright.
    not usually bolted inside, then remove the lock plate once you get it home.

Bingo

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

Do you think it will take him that long to get into it or it's all ready corroded?

More that if the previous owner doesn't even have the key then who knows how long it has been since the batteries were changed

#16 11 years ago

Do you have a pic of lock? Can you un screw the lock plate like on newer Sterns?

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

I use a pen clip and paperclip, gone in 60 seconds. Every pinhunter should learn how to pick a lock. Search utube for tutorials.

Everyone should learn how to pick a lock. You never know when it will come in handy. Pin locks are actually pretty easy to pick for the most part. Probably why most games on locations have those stupid cross lock bars that prevent you from getting more quarters when you run out. They are a lot harder to open but i guess that is why they invented bolt cutters lol

#18 11 years ago

Call a locksmith, support your local business man!

#19 11 years ago

Just did it on a DE ST25. All you need...I had a $20 PC repair kit with a set in it.

22-9795.jpg22-9795.jpg

#20 11 years ago

Torx - 2 secs and your in, I never leave home without them when Im going to look at a pin.

#21 11 years ago

I bought one of these at Home Depot for the same reason as it includes the security bits but have found it to be very useful for many jobs.
    Good deal at $20.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202397605?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=husky+55+piece+ratcheting+socket+and+bit+driver+set&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=202397605#.UTZ-NTfuqbY

huskyset.jpghuskyset.jpg

#22 11 years ago

I think pinball life or someone had an entire torx set for $5 or 7 bucks

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Beez:

Purchasing a DE 1994 pin from a guy but he doesn't have the key for the BackBox so we can put it down? Any easy ideas what to do??

Ummm, he is talking about "putting the back box down." Perhaps the "key" he is looking for is the hex key wrench required to release the back box, allowing it to fold down.

1 year later
    #25 9 years ago

I just wanted to add for any future readers that the security plate can realllly stick even with the screws out and may require some prying.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-key-for-backbox-purchasing-from-someone-what-do-i-do-little-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.