(Topic ID: 71171)

No idea what I'm doing so I got started. GTB Circus 1980 Repairs(?)

By biggestboss

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

YSUIZAO.jpg
POUSmqx-966.jpg
pfwQbPm-143.jpg
GDafHfkl-646.jpg
T0UZAMhuE1HyuIyWoy4p4OoXrzA-680.jpeg
5AKvWLJ.jpg
q154R8Y.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I recently dug this pinball machine out of the back of a storage room. It hadn't been touched for at least 15 years. It did boot up, but the triggers were non-working or delayed. There was no sound. The display was a garbled mess. Many of the bulbs weren't on. Rubbers broken and fallen off. But on the bright side both flippers worked and it did sort of start the game up.

I talked to a local pinball repairman and he basically said I'm probably looking at paying him more than the cost of the machine to fix it up. This is exactly what I wanted to hear because it means I get to start messing around with it guilt free.

5AKvWLJ.jpg5AKvWLJ.jpgq154R8Y.jpgq154R8Y.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Part 1:
The guy I talked to mentioned that very often the battery on the circuit board will leak and cause a bunch of corrosion. (That primitive old thing has a circuit board in it??). After failing with all of the ~30 assorted keys that were in the room I gave up and drilled out the lock. I didn't have any idea how to access either part of the machine so I actually had to ask a friend for help just opening it up. Eventually he was able to walk me through it.

This is what I found lurking inside:
GDafHfkl-646.jpgGDafHfkl-646.jpg
pfwQbPm-143.jpgpfwQbPm-143.jpg

I was very eager to get rid of the corrosion so I yanked off the battery leg with pliers:
T0UZAMhuE1HyuIyWoy4p4OoXrzA-680.jpegT0UZAMhuE1HyuIyWoy4p4OoXrzA-680.jpeg

#3 10 years ago

Did part of the trace come off on that board when you yanked the battery? It's hard to tell because the pics don't load well here on the computer at work... Looks like you have some corrosion to get rid of and some resistors to replace as well.

-Steve Ridge
Louisville, KY

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from VDrums2112:

Did part of the trace come off on that board when you yanked the battery? It's hard to tell because the pics don't load well here on the computer at work... Looks like you have some corrosion to get rid of and some resistors to replace as well.
-Steve Ridge
Louisville, KY

Part 2:

Yes. It was really dumb but I didn't even know what solder was at the time. I did some reading and ordered a soldering iron and the System 80 repair kit from great plains electronics [http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GTLB80-BA-KIT]. I washed the board in vinegar and alcohol using a toothbrush and cotton balls then sanded it down with 220 sandpaper.

I think I managed to get rid of the corrosion, but I'm confused when it comes to fixing up these traces and pads. At this point I don't think I even want to replace the battery and the pad it was on because it seems overwhelming. Will this actually affect gameplay? I don't really care about high scores.

The pictures below show where I'm currently at and I have a lot of questions.

I plan on soldering on replacing the vertical trace by soldering the lead from the new resistor onto the other end of the trace(Pitiful amateur hack maneuver??).
Do I then run jumper wires from each component to the ending pad?
Is 22 gauge OK?

I also noticed another pad that was either eaten through by corrosion or damaged by my amateur desoldering.
How can I tell if all three of those pads were originally connected?

POUSmqx-966.jpgPOUSmqx-966.jpgYSUIZAO.jpgYSUIZAO.jpg

#6 10 years ago

The edge connectors were also pretty badly corroded as well as you can see in the above picture. I used a pencil eraser, but it didn't do a very good job. Is it safe to sand those? The repair man I talked to said they were very fragile and very hard to fix, but I saw some sources online that recommended sanding. Anyone have any suggestions for cleaning those off?

I also ordered new pins and molex housing plus a crimper because I noticed some possible corrosion on the existing pins.

#7 10 years ago

I've never owned a Gottlieb so I wouldn't know if the lack of a battery effects game play or not, it shouldn't in theory. I know on my Space Invaders, I cut off the battery, never replaced it or installed a remote holder and the game boots fine... My Firepower on the other hand doesn't like to boot into attract mode (it'll boot into diagnostics) unless it has fresh batteries.

Hopefully others will chime in and help you out. Best of luck!

-Steve Ridge
Louisville, KY

1 week later
#8 10 years ago

Small update. Finished all the board soldering. Went ahead and sanded the male edge connectors which look very good now. Hopefully I didn't damage anything.

Now trying to crimp is making me lose my mind. I can't get the pins to firmly grip the wire. I've never felt so incompetent. I will try again tomorrow.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from biggestboss:

Now trying to crimp is making me lose my mind. I can't get the pins to firmly grip the wire. I've never felt so incompetent. I will try again tomorrow.

First, need to verify you are using the right size pins for the gauge of wire that you are repairing, proper tool, proper crimp guide in the tool if it handles more than one gauge. Don't beat yourself up over it. Always order extra pins for practice or mistakes. Take your time, it's a process. In fact it is true with all of this electronics. You don't become an expert overnight.

I'm really digging the artwork on this game, I'm not familiar with it Don't give up on it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-idea-what-im-doing-so-i-got-started-gtb-circus-1980-repairs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.