(Topic ID: 3702)

No guts, no glory.....

By doublezo1

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0034.jpg
    IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0016.jpg
    IMAG0013.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    bright.jpeg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0042.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider doublezo1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

I just picked up a whirlwind. It is pretty nice but it has a bunch of raised inserts so off with the mylar. I've been reading and reading about the horrors of doing this. I got tired of thinking about it and went for it tonight. I used the Goo gone method. It's wasn't to bad. I did lose some insert art but no biggie. I'll be able to fix it. The section I did was about a 2 hour deal. Only 3 more to go.

IMAG0037.jpgIMAG0037.jpg IMAG0038.jpgIMAG0038.jpg IMAG0042.jpgIMAG0042.jpg

#11 12 years ago

I will make sure to keep posting my progress. I was going to try the freeze spray but decided to go with the Goo gone. Maybe I will try freeze spray on some of the remaining mylar. Shock me, I didn't use a hair dryer. I'm not going to clear the playfeild, I'm going to re mylar it after I deal with the inserts. I did the same process on my earthshaker and I'm happy with the way it turned out. Can't wait to finish whirlwind, Its a great pin.

1 week later
    #19 12 years ago

First update. On the rest of the mylar removal I tried the freeze spray technique. It was way easier and ill use freeze spray from now on. The glue was still a pain but the Goo gone worked just fine. I did lose some artwork by the upper flipper. No big deal, I can fix it. All the art classes I've been in will finally help me out. I'm going to level the inserts next, then comes the led's. QUESTION, , can I turn the machine on without everything hooked up on the play field ? ie, ramp flashes, etc..

IMAG0002.jpgIMAG0002.jpg

#22 12 years ago

After 9 straight hours, I had to turn it on. All inserts leveled and led's installed. My fingers hurt.

IMAG0003.jpgIMAG0003.jpg

1 week later
    #28 12 years ago

Time for an update,,,, I finally had some free time and I got busy. I straightened all of the plastics that needed it. I just put them in the oven on a cookie sheet with wax paper at 325. When they were flat I took them out and put a heavy book on them till cool. Somebody wanted to know how I leveled the inserts, I just used a hair dryer and heated them up top and bottom then leveled them out. Then used super glue underneath to glue them in. I've done a lot of reading and have found all these ways of doing this stuff. My biggest accomplishment was re doing the art work that I lost. I just used paint pens from the art store. Luckily the colors are very close. I think its going to look fine with the mylar on top of it. I'm almost there.

IMAG0007.jpgIMAG0007.jpg IMAG0013.jpgIMAG0013.jpg

#32 12 years ago

Thanks guys. Cliffys, pricey but you gotta love em. I do.

IMAG0016.jpgIMAG0016.jpg IMAG0017.jpgIMAG0017.jpg

1 week later
    #36 12 years ago

Update.... My whirlwind is done. I have a couple of lights that I cannot get to work but ill figure them out. The way the machine plays now is so much better now that all the inserts are level. All the work was well worth it. Now if I could just get my hands on a funhouse,,,,,

IMAG0034.jpgIMAG0034.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider doublezo1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-guts-no-glory?tu=doublezo1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.