8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jarjarisgod
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMAG0034.jpg
    IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0016.jpg
    IMAG0013.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    bright.jpeg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0042.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I just picked up a whirlwind. It is pretty nice but it has a bunch of raised inserts so off with the mylar. I've been reading and reading about the horrors of doing this. I got tired of thinking about it and went for it tonight. I used the Goo gone method. It's wasn't to bad. I did lose some insert art but no biggie. I'll be able to fix it. The section I did was about a 2 hour deal. Only 3 more to go.

IMAG0037.jpg IMAG0038.jpg IMAG0042.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Not bad. I've thought about doing that with mine, but have just never gotten the courage. Restoration is NOT my forte. Good luck with the rest.

#3 8 years ago

The color looks great underneath. Good show!

#4 8 years ago

Nicely done!!! That takes a lot of courage and patience, well played!

#5 8 years ago

Looks good, make sure you post more pics when you have finished.

#6 8 years ago

Nice results. I've got the same thing ahead of me but I was going to start off trying the freeze spray method.

Are you going to clear it once you are done with the touch ups?

#7 8 years ago

doublezo1,

Great progress so far. Are you using a hairdryer along with the Goo-Gone? This is the method I use, and it works very well. I go very slowly lifting the mylar around the inserts with minimal artwork lifting. I haven't tried freeze spray yet, but I intend to try it next time I do a mylar removal.

#8 8 years ago

Freeze spray. Done in just a few minutes. Orange power from pinrestore.com for the glue. Spray on and use a plastic razor blade and comes right off. Ive done two like this with great results and little to no damage to inserts.

#9 8 years ago

I tried the freeze spray method on my TAF, and it was so painless and easy I'll never do anything but the freeze. And as Pintastic above said, I followed with Orange Power. I had no insert damage at all on the TAF with this method. The TAF playfield was Diamond Plate though, so I had that in my favor.

#10 8 years ago

Very nice. I have one PITA piece of mylar that I need to remove on my FT because it sometimes causes the ball to reroute and drain. Haven't worked up the courage to do it yet though.

#11 8 years ago

I will make sure to keep posting my progress. I was going to try the freeze spray but decided to go with the Goo gone. Maybe I will try freeze spray on some of the remaining mylar. Shock me, I didn't use a hair dryer. I'm not going to clear the playfeild, I'm going to re mylar it after I deal with the inserts. I did the same process on my earthshaker and I'm happy with the way it turned out. Can't wait to finish whirlwind, Its a great pin.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from doublezo1:

I'm going to re mylar it after I deal with the inserts. I did the same process on my earthshaker and I'm happy with the way it turned out.

How do you avoid getting fingerprints on the mylar when laying it down?

#13 8 years ago

I've used the freeze spray on 3 playfields and googone + patience on my Centaur. Took the better part of a day with the Centaur and I lifted a few minor flecks of paint. Took literally minutes with the freeze spray and only had one lift any paint (the paint had come loose under the mylar so it came up with it). I have never had and paint damage caused by the freeze spray method.

Clean up after is the same pain no matter which method I used.

G

#14 8 years ago

Freeze spray, all the way! No contest. I have done dozens of playfield with it.
    WW has sensitive insert artwork, was the only playfield that I did lift some up on...might have been my fault though.

The sell a full insert decal set, so don't worry too much.

Good luck!

#15 8 years ago

Freeze spray and denatured alcohol - blows away googone that takes for ever, 10 mins that would have been off and clean....next time

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

How do you avoid getting fingerprints on the mylar when laying it down?

Cheap latex gloves.

#17 8 years ago

Freeze spray is great. Just let the mylar come off by itself, hardly any pulling.

#18 8 years ago

Has anyone ever tried Co2? I used to play a lot of paintball. In a typical co2 bottle the bottom is composed of liquid co2, while the top couple inches of the bottle allowed some room for expansion so that ultimately gas would exit the valve.

However, if you flipped a standard bottle over, forcing the liquid to the valve, the rapid expansion of the liquid causes the gas to be extremely cold (pv =nrt and all). We called it "shooting show" because you could literally see the frozen condensation shooting out of your gun barrel.

Anyway, Co2 is very cheap and the bottles are refillable, which is why I ask. A 20oz tank would cost maybe $5 to fill at most.

1 week later
    #19 8 years ago

First update. On the rest of the mylar removal I tried the freeze spray technique. It was way easier and ill use freeze spray from now on. The glue was still a pain but the Goo gone worked just fine. I did lose some artwork by the upper flipper. No big deal, I can fix it. All the art classes I've been in will finally help me out. I'm going to level the inserts next, then comes the led's. QUESTION, , can I turn the machine on without everything hooked up on the play field ? ie, ramp flashes, etc..

IMAG0002.jpg

#20 8 years ago

pretty nice

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from doublezo1:

QUESTION, , can I turn the machine on without everything hooked up on the play field ? ie, ramp flashes, etc..

If nothing is shorted out, yes. But if you took it apart and things are hanging you have to be careful.

I would put it back together before turning it back on.

#22 8 years ago

After 9 straight hours, I had to turn it on. All inserts leveled and led's installed. My fingers hurt.

IMAG0003.jpg

#23 8 years ago

Sweet! Glad to see all the hard work pay off. Looks great. How did you decide to level out your inserts? I know I'll have to do that to some of mine and I'm just researching different methods.

Bet you can't wait to get it back together and finally play that sucker for real! Once again, awesome job.

#24 8 years ago

Nice! The storm is coming!

#25 8 years ago

Looking sweeeeeeeet

#26 8 years ago

Nice job looks very good

#27 8 years ago

That is a bright WhirlWind..!

bright.jpeg

Was that your camera? Or Cointaker supers?

Maybe some frosted ghostbusters instead- to mellow it out...

Edit: Nevermind...
    You did not have the plastics on!
    Carry on!!!

#28 8 years ago

Time for an update,,,, I finally had some free time and I got busy. I straightened all of the plastics that needed it. I just put them in the oven on a cookie sheet with wax paper at 325. When they were flat I took them out and put a heavy book on them till cool. Somebody wanted to know how I leveled the inserts, I just used a hair dryer and heated them up top and bottom then leveled them out. Then used super glue underneath to glue them in. I've done a lot of reading and have found all these ways of doing this stuff. My biggest accomplishment was re doing the art work that I lost. I just used paint pens from the art store. Luckily the colors are very close. I think its going to look fine with the mylar on top of it. I'm almost there.

IMAG0007.jpg IMAG0013.jpg

#29 8 years ago

thats some fine craftsmanship doublezo1

#30 8 years ago

Fine indeed.

#31 8 years ago

Looking real good, double!

#32 8 years ago

Thanks guys. Cliffys, pricey but you gotta love em. I do.

IMAG0016.jpg IMAG0017.jpg

#33 8 years ago

Wow, I've always wanted a whirlwind - it was one of my favorites. You have made some tremendous progress. I'm so jealous.

#34 8 years ago

The cliffys look good, the artwork repair looks awesome.

#35 8 years ago

Cliffy's protectors are the best thing that ever happened to pinball! What would we do without them?

#36 8 years ago

Update.... My whirlwind is done. I have a couple of lights that I cannot get to work but ill figure them out. The way the machine plays now is so much better now that all the inserts are level. All the work was well worth it. Now if I could just get my hands on a funhouse,,,,,

IMAG0034.jpg

#37 8 years ago

Looks fantastic! Must be really satisfying to see all that hard work come together.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    € 3.70
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 169.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 189.99
    $ 123.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    £ 58.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside