You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC08686.JPG
DSC08623.JPG
DSC08760.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Trying to troubleshoot an issue with my NGG. I'm not nearly as adept at this stuff as most of you, but I feel I'm stuck and never had something like this on a machine before.

It started the other day when the machine stopped midgame and gave a "G10 Error". Since the game had recently been moved, I wondered if there was something knocked lose (security chip). So I looked around and then noticed the machine wouldn't even give me the G10 Error. It would just give the loud beep at startup but nothing would run (DMD blank, no lights, etc).

At this point I pulled out all the connectors and put them back in making sure they were in securely. When I pulled the power one on the MPU (J210) and put it back in, the machine ran for a day or two. Only it died again midgame tonight. It seems like when I mess with that connection, I can get it to power up for a little bit only to have it die shortly after.

This is a little out of my comfort zone and I'm hoping I could get some guidance as to where to go from here. It doesn't look like there is battery corrosion on it, but I might not be looking for the right thing. Is there anything simple this could be that I'm missing? Or does anyone have any idea what could cause it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

And when booting up, the LEDs (I'm sorry I can't remember what they were labeled) in the bottom left of the MPU have the top and bottom one lit and the middle one doing nothing.

#3 11 years ago

Is the playfield nice? Ill trade you my working RFM for it right now even up? Problem solved.

DSC08760.JPGDSC08760.JPG DSC08623.JPGDSC08623.JPG DSC08686.JPGDSC08686.JPG

#4 11 years ago

You good with a DMMeter?

Start voltage checking AC,5v

#5 11 years ago

Does the machine give off any number of bongs when you boot up?

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

You good with a DMMeter?
Start voltage checking AC,5v

I'm really not. I probably should learn to be though.

Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Does the machine give off any number of bongs when you boot up?

It doesn't, it gives off the one initial beep and that's it.

#7 11 years ago

That RFM, You put all those leds in it, did you forget some new flipper bats? The one on the right looks to be a yellow lightening bolt flipper bat painted black or sharpied black.

#8 11 years ago

If your game is diagnosing it's self properly the G10 error is a security chip error, either faulty or incorrect. At page 1-43 your error messages start, followed by LED status.
Pages 3-31, & 3-32 give you proper voltages and which header plug and wire code to test.
Get a cheap digital multi meter that measures both A/C & D/C and start there.
I don't know the NGG game personally, but you should be able to eliminate many possibilities starting with these tests.
Hope this helps.....

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/4338/Williams_1997_No_Good_Gofers_Manual.pdf

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

The one on the right looks to be a yellow lightening bolt flipper bat painted black or sharpied black.

They just photographed odd, the left one broke by the 10th game, installed standard williams bats now. I take it no trade sturner?

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

If your game is diagnosing it's self properly the G10 error is a security chip error, either faulty or incorrect. At page 1-43 your error messages start, followed by LED status.
Pages 3-31, & 3-32 give you proper voltages and which header plug and wire code to test.
Get a cheap digital multi meter that measures both A/C & D/C and start there.
I don't know the NGG game personally, but you should be able to eliminate many possibilities starting with these tests.
Hope this helps.....

Well it gave the G10 error for a short time and then I never saw it again. Now that I can't get anything to go on, I'm wondering if that G10 error was just the CPU having issues. Not too familiar with the security chip, but I've never heard of it completely disabling everything and not allowing anything to power up. I figured I'd still be at least getting the G10 error on the DMD.

I did go through a bunch of info online on diagnosing things. LED201 and LED202 are on all the time and LED203 is not doing anything. I'm not seeing anything about that. See info if LED203 blinks 1,2, or 3 times, but nothing about it not doing anything. Or LED201 (blanking) not turning off after a couple seconds.

One other thing I did notice is that there is some corrosion on the bottom of the old battery holder. So at one time it likely leaked. Can't see any damage on the board itself but I might not be looking right.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I take it no trade sturner?

Sorry, I'm just not a fan of RFM. AFM on the other hand...

#12 11 years ago

This page shows proper operation of the LED's.

If it were me, I'd power down, pull the batteries, remove the MPU do a good inspection under good light. Do a good check on U5, and U4. If you don't find anything move on to your voltage checks listed on pages 3-31, and 3-32. If all those voltages are present and correct, than you should be able to turn your sights back to the MPU.
Sorry I can't be of more help, if there is enough chatter in this thread, someone will chime in that has NGG or knows more than I do, and offer more avenues...

#13 11 years ago

Thanks a lot for your help. I'm going to try those things you mentioned and still look around, but I have someone coming out to look at it this week. It's just a bit out of my comfort zone and hopefully I can learn something in the process.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,800 (OBO)
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-good-gofers-wont-boot-up-anymore-died-midgame and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.