• Fish tales 48 votes
    25%
  • No good gofers 68 votes
    35%

(194 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150411_124616.jpg
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

Hi there,
I would like to get your help and opinion about these 3 pins.
First, i ´d like to know if they are pin keepers and if they are enough challenging to have a good replayability/longevity
I have played only some games on NGG and Creature, none on FT
I got immediatly good feeling on NGG with shots, flow, toys ( just a bit looking cheap). But golf theme is really not my taste ( afraid to feel too much infantile at last) even if it sounds funny and humourous. What about depth of ruleset?
The Creature is the pin that attracts me the most by its beauty and fifties theme. But i found the back of playfield a little cluttered, and it seems you outta hit the outhole to go ahead in the game. Is every shot counting? I have hit 6 or 7 Times in a raw the left ramp and...nothing, just the car running on the DMD. I also regret a real loop.
What about depth of ruleset?
Concerning Fish Tales, never played a game on it and i ´m not a Fisher!

I like fun, humour and big ambiance soundtrack, challenging enough to come back and play, deep rules but easy to understand, each shot must count, COMBOS. Médiéval madness is my grail.

Thanks

#2 9 years ago

None of them are very deep but all are fast and fun. You can't go wrong with those choices.

#3 9 years ago

FT all the way, from those choices and your description of what you like in a pin. Added bonus, it's likely going to be the cheapest (and easiest) to buy.

Good vid from Bucci:

#4 9 years ago

All things being equal I'd probably rank them this way:

1. Creature
2. NGG
3. Fishtales

#5 9 years ago

I vote for Fish Tales.

#6 9 years ago

CFTBL by a million miles. All 3 are fun games but CFTBL is hard as hell and that super jack pot is the most rewarding in pinball in my humble opinion.

The left ramp builds the jackpot, you have to collect it by hitting the center shot. It's timed so you only have a few seconds to make the shot.

#7 9 years ago

All 3 are excellent - based on you're post, I think you would be happiest with Creature.
Every shot counts for something, but it depends where you are within the game. The left ramp has different rewards based on what mode you're in, or if you are in multiball.

You might want to look up the rule sheets for all 3 to get a better idea.

Note: Creature and FT do not have a wizard mode (like MM), and NGG does, but it's not as full featured.
Both Creature and FT have a progressive multi-ball where you need to do X, Y then Z - as opposed to lots of jackpots available on all major shots.

FT Multiball -> shoot Captains Club (locks ball for x seconds) -> then shoot Jackpot -> repeat 3 times -> go for Super Jackpots at captive ball
Additionally -> lock additional balls in Captains Club for 2x, 3x Jackpots

Creature -> Find the Girl (1 of 3 shots), shoot scoop to rescue her -> shoot scoop for Jackpot -> get 50 pop bumper hits to light Super Jackpot -> collect Super Jackpot at the scoop
Additionally -> spell C-R-E-A-T-U-R-E with Whirlpool spins to Double or Triple everything during multiball

#8 9 years ago

Ngg, fish tales, never could get into creature

#9 9 years ago

Cftbl is leaps and bounds beyond the other two. Next comes gophers and finally fish tales.

Www.pinballrebel.com

#10 9 years ago

My buddy had all 3 of those in his lineup. I liked them all but the one I liked the most and played the most was NGG. Out of those 3 I had to have Gophers and got it. Very fun and never gets old!

1. NGG
2. CFTBL
3. FT

#11 9 years ago

I'd take NGG fairly easily out of those 3.

#12 9 years ago

Ok, NOT FT.

After that? Well, you've played both, hard for someone else to make the decision for you. I've owned both, but sold both after tiring of them.

I actually bought NGG twice . In my very small collection, it just didn't have staying power for me. I Really like the game, it suffered a bit from an incomplete ruleset (IMO). There WAS some talk here of someone writing new software for the game, but I haven't seen an update in months on that effort. A slightly more refined ruleset could make this game a top 15 or 20 game.

#13 9 years ago

If I was forced to rank em. : )

1. Creech
2. NGG
3. FT

All three are great pins. No complaints on any of em here.

#14 9 years ago

Great thread. I actually owned all three. Here's my take:

I had a love/hate relationship with Fish Tales. Sometimes during the middle of a game. Topper is awesome. Theme is awesome. But, hitting boat in middle does get old and it was the first of the three to go.

Next, No Good Gofers. Really cool game. Bashing the gophers was great and the hole in one shot is truly amazing. It was next to go.

Finally, Creature. Unbelievable game. I personally loved the theme and spelling FILM to get to multiball always seemed like a really cool way to make your way through a game. Only complaint from me would be the two ball multiball.

My personal rankings:

1. Creature
2. NGG
3. Fish Tales

#15 9 years ago

Creature really needs an anti-réflective glass! All that can improve the visibility of the playfield is highly recommended.
In fact i found some shots in the Creature and NGG that i have on the Stargate that is my number 2.
I will play again today in Lavaur on these pins to get a more refined opinion. Them i get back to you
Thanks guys

#16 9 years ago

1. Creature
2. No Good Gofers
3. Fish Tales

Creature is so simple, but so satisfying. Getting a super jackpot feels amazing.

#17 9 years ago

Had all 3 Creech lasted 1 year fun but needed a new game. Had Fish Tales lasted 1 years fast fun but had to go for a deeper game. NGG lasted 1 month Thought hitting the gophers would be fun, it was for a month, Call outs terrible but hole in one shot fun.

#18 9 years ago

My player profile; plain fun, no brainers, multiball fests. Love WH20, MB, RFM.

Had all 3, still got creech.
CFTBL; stil got it only because i'm a collector and it's a beautifull design. Hate the fact that you have to spel FILM after each bad/short MB, really frustrating.

NGG; I was really hyped about it after the Bowen and Bucci clips. Found one, sold it after a couple of games. Absolute not my game.

Then FT; plain fun, but absolute nothing for a small collection.

#19 9 years ago

Jezus!
Really?
FT is the bomb!
NGG is great!
CFTBL,,, not a great bang for buck game...

#20 9 years ago

Have to give FT a bit of love here. But, first, I wonder what kind of experience you are looking to add to your collection (?). If you have 5 or fewer machines, I feel like you need to consider how each new game might complement what's in your collection (or replicate it if you just want "more of the same"). From your original post, it seems like you wanted something with longevity for the owner. So, I can confirm that FT has staying power.

FT has some theme appeal to certain folks. For kids and watchers, the fish is fun to watch and the music in playful. But, it may not appeal as much other titles for guests and casual players because it's so tough. From my experience though, it's a great title for the owner who wants a quick playing battle to challenge his / her skills. When I have 10 minutes to play a game and I just want some fun, FT is always my choice. It's hard, it's got great shots, the ruleset builds so you have a sense of progression, but I don't feel like I'm always focused on reaching one specific mode like you do in other games (and then feel like a failure when you don't reach it). Unfortunately, I haven't owned NGG or CFTBL so I can't say how these feel after a year or two of ownership.

#21 9 years ago

Based on your post, Creature hands down.

FWIW - I'm not a big golf fan, but just love NGG. If price is a consideration, you may want to get Gofers over Creature.

My rankings would be similar to many others here:

1) CFTBL
2) NGG

A distant third - FT

#22 9 years ago

Pin prices in Europe are different from prices in the US a lot of times. Just so you know what the people in the US are talking about, prices here are (roughly)
Fish Tales $2200
Creature $3800
Gofers $3000

I might be a bit off on prices, but Creature is the most expensive game here. I spent about $4400 total on my Fish Tales and Gofers, which is about the cost of a very nice CFTBL.

#23 9 years ago

Gofers isn't perfect but has the most going on out of those three. It's probably my #1

Creature has a lot of shots, but I find the buildup to multiball a bit drawn out. Fun game, but hard.

Fish Tales is a lot of fun, but it's best if you have it next to some deeper games. Jackpots are very hard to get, so unless you're a great player, you'll find yourself going for Monster Fish a lot.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from JeffA:

Have to give FT a bit of love here. But, first, I wonder what kind of experience you are looking to add to your collection (?). If you have 5 or fewer machines, I feel like you need to consider how each new game might complement what's in your collection (or replicate it if you just want "more of the same"). From your original post, it seems like you wanted something with longevity for the owner. So, I can confirm that FT has staying power.
FT has some theme appeal to certain folks. For kids and watchers, the fish is fun to watch and the music in playful. But, it may not appeal as much other titles for guests and casual players because it's so tough. From my experience though, it's a great title for the owner who wants a quick playing battle to challenge his / her skills. When I have 10 minutes to play a game and I just want some fun, FT is always my choice. It's hard, it's got great shots, the ruleset builds so you have a sense of progression, but I don't feel like I'm always focused on reaching one specific mode like you do in other games (and then feel like a failure when you don't reach it). Unfortunately, I haven't owned NGG or CFTBL so I can't say how these feel after a year or two of ownership.

i'm not an excellent pinball player, just average and more casual one (lack of time)
i need a challenging pin that makes me like to come back and play, but too much difficulty (shot to do or rules to learn) makes me escape like TZ or Shadow. as i can't play as often i want, i need to get fun immediately, and ambiance is important for me (there is no match between MM and TZ for me, TZ is austere).
I love MM coz this pin gets all i want a pin have: great theme, great toys and animation (castle, troll), a fantastic ambiance and sound track, great multiballs (really love adding multiball before hit merlin to get into it and so big points), the lock multiball challenging but rewarding, and all others multiballs. i would have just a better video mode on MM. whatever you do, it counts and you go ahead in the game.
Now, i don't want the same game (otherwise i buy another MM!) but i would like a pin to get fun quickly and perfectly balanced in term of difficulty for my level.
the other pin that i like very much out of Stargate is LOTR that it lasted many years, great ambiance, great multi balls, great rules (easy to understand but challenging to succeed). i sold it coz i didn't like theme and (photoshop) artwork.
So which one is close to this description? don't tell me i need to choose another pin...why not?!
thanks

#25 9 years ago

I liked NGG on arcade pinball but not in real life. It just didn't feel right or look good and not into golf at all. I have not played Creature since the 90's but might be a good choice based on your info. Might be hard to find one and they are not cheap.

My vote would have to be FT based on fun factor and price. I don't fish but the artwork, sounds, video mode, and feel are perfect. Gameplay is brutal and shallow but extremely addictive. Deep rules don't mean anything unless it's fun. Ritchie knows how to make a fun pin.

#26 9 years ago

I own a FT and NGG and play a location Creature all the time.

FT is one of the best games ever made and people shit on it because it's really really hard. Just as hard as BSD.

NGG is fun but very anoying after awhile. The music and the call outs from the goffers is enough to drive anyone nuts after an hour of playing.

What can you say about Creature that hasn't been said before? Awesome game but pretty easy.

M

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I love MM coz this pin gets all i want a pin have: great theme, great toys and animation (castle, troll), a fantastic ambiance and sound track, great multiballs (really love adding multiball before hit merlin to get into it and so big points), the lock multiball challenging but rewarding, and all others multiballs. i would have just a better video mode on MM. whatever you do, it counts and you go ahead in the game.
Now, i don't want the same game (otherwise i buy another MM!) but i would like a pin to get fun quickly and perfectly balanced in term of difficulty for my level.
the other pin that i like very much out of Stargate is LOTR that it lasted many years, great ambiance, great multi balls, great rules (easy to understand but challenging to succeed). i sold it coz i didn't like theme and (photoshop) artwork.
So which one is close to this description? don't tell me i need to choose another pin...why not?!
thanks

great multiball?
challenging but rewarding?
enjoyed LOTR?

Can I make a completely different suggestion?
(because I like the SAME features):

TSPP.

FT: The theme just didnt do it for me. I'll drop quarters in it on location, but never would own one.
Creature: Classic game, incredibly well done, but you will be disaapointed by the multiball.
NGG: Whimsical, has one of the best skill shots in all of pinball (Hi1) but lacks depth.

I *AM* a bit jaded since I just sold my beloved NGG and am driving to pickup a TSPP

#28 9 years ago

I am stunned that Fish Tales is losing to these two games. I own FT so there, but seriously, Creature is flawed, for me, with the "two ball MB". And the rules/shots are not particularly interesting. MB jackpot multiplier is very cool. I'm not saying the game isn't fun.

I don't know NGG very well but the times I've played it it seemed very all over the place. Not to mention a little child like and annoying.

FT has one of the tightest and most enjoyable rulesets around. A three ball in your face MB - hello! - that NEVER gets old! Music, call outs, dots, art are all top notch on FT.

All three seem to integrate their themes very well.

FT by a mile for me. I think FT should be an A -Lister.

#29 9 years ago

Btw, I avoided this game like the plague because of the theme for years. Then a funny thing happened. I played it on location. And kept playing it. And realized that not only is the theme fun but it's perfectly integrated into an awesomely designed game.

The boat ramp is awesome but should not be the focal point of the game. Just one of about 4 main objectives to go for, MB being king.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

great multiball?
challenging but rewarding?
enjoyed LOTR?
Can I make a completely different suggestion?
(because I like the SAME features):
TSPP.
FT: The theme just didnt do it for me. I'll drop quarters in it on location, but never would own one.
Creature: Classic game, incredibly well done, but you will be disaapointed by the multiball.
NGG: Whimsical, has one of the best skill shots in all of pinball (Hi1) but lacks depth.
I *AM* a bit jaded since I just sold my beloved NGG and am driving to pickup a TSPP

sorry i hate the simpsons. just played a few on TSPP but the theme is really prohibitive for me

#31 9 years ago

Owned 2 of the 3, played the heck out of the third..... with that said FT is a great pin, the layout is flat out fun and has a great flow, the shots are a good mix of easy and hard (important ingredient for a great pinball machine). It has awesome dots and the sounds and call outs are probably up there with the best machines as far as theme integration. And the insane topper rounds out this great machine. GL with your decision.
20150411_124616.jpg20150411_124616.jpg

#32 9 years ago

FT is my least played game, but it's also my longest owned game and I won't sell it anytime soon. Great for brushing up your ball control skills, the lightning flippers and close proximity of the boat make this game very brutal. Getting super jackpots is only ever a few shots away, but it's very difficult to achieve and there's a huge points reward if you do. And possibly the best video mode of all machines!

I had Creech on loan for a few months, great game, loads of modes, very fast when it's dialled in. Not an easy game due to the cluttered playfield but very rewarding when you're making the shots. The rules are so much better than FT. Multiball is great but don't understand why only 2 balls? Makes finding and rescuing the girl to complete multiball very challenging, but also very satisfying if you can do it! Hologram seems a bit pointless though.

Don't know much about Gofers but the few games I have had found it very annoying, not my cup of tea but it does command the highest price out of the 3 in the UK.

Very close call for 1 and 2 but Creech just gets it due to variety of rules and modes:

1. CFTBL
2. FT
3. NGG

#33 9 years ago

If cost is a variable then I'd go with FT, if not CFTBL. Both are great games. FT is probably the best value buy out there, IMO.

#34 9 years ago

I've owned all over the years. Sold for space or the next machine. I miss NGG and regret selling that one. Prices went up afterwards and just cann't justify buying it now.

My preference would be:

NGG -- great flow, fantastic multiball, love the gofers, great humour.

FT - challenging game. Jackbots aren't even a gimme. Great looking game, fast ball times that keep you coming back.

CFTBL - actually I wouldn't buy another unless it was cheap. I love the theme. Love the music. Love the look. Gameplay is ok. I enjoy playing it at others, but I find the playfield too crowded and the game play is too limited. Pretty much spell FILM each and every game to start MB. Then start a two ball multiball (yawn)....just not for me.

Surprised NGG isn't in the lead given how popular it seems to have become in the last year. Prices have certainly increased on it since I sold mine.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Owned 2 of the 3, played the heck out of the third..... with that said FT is a great pin, the layout is flat out fun and has a great flow, the shots are a good mix of easy and hard (important ingredient for a great pinball machine). It has awesome dots and the sounds and call outs are probably up there with the best machines as far as theme integration. And the insane topper rounds out this great machine. GL with your decision.

before taking my decision i need to play with and i will get this opportunity at last of month, playing on FT and Congo

#37 9 years ago

Fish Tales was one of the shortest stay games I've ever owned. I tried so hard to like it. I tried hard to get my wife and kids to like it. None of us could. I can't believe that I gave up The Getaway in a straight across trade for that game. I've missed that Getaway often, never once wished that I had kept the FT a day longer than I did.

Not every one else will have that same feeling, but I think there's a reason that Fish Tales is on the cheaper end of DMD B/W games.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Not every one else will have that same feeling, but I think there's a reason that Fish Tales is on the cheaper end of DMD B/W games.

There is.

The market is never wrong.

#39 9 years ago

I originally bought fish tales to fill a space till congo and shadow get here , well I must say I absolutely love the game and its a keeper it has great theme integration and sound and artwork. The rules arnt extremely deep but are well done and the super jackpot has still eluded me ..probably the best video mode in pinball and the topper is the best.i think for the price ft is the best bang for buck pins . I also like ngg and Creech but there is just a charm about fish tales that I really love

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

There is.
The market is never wrong.

Yes. But multiple things impact the market, and neither good taste nor IQ are necessarily involved.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Yes. But multiple things impact the market, and neither good taste nor IQ are necessarily involved.

On the individual level, but across multiple thousands of buyers, it evens out.

#42 9 years ago

It would even out if there were about 10,000 fewer Fish Tales and 4,000 fewer Creatures. Than the playing field would be equal and it would be 100% about fun and gameplay. And under those circumstances FT would be the most expensive of the lot. Because it's just a way Better game.

And since this is hypothetical AND Pinside, I'll guaranree it!

#43 9 years ago

TFA will fight to the death over a game he owns. It is known.

#44 9 years ago

There isn't a universe where FT is a better game than CFTBL..... Regardless of the production numbers.

#45 9 years ago

I really can't stand the music in FT. Drives me crazy. Yet I love the music in pins like Wh20 and RS.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

TFA will fight to the death over a game he owns. It is known.

The death of my opponent. Let's be clear about this.

Quoted from RobT:

I really can't stand the music in FT. Drives me crazy. Yet I love the music in pins like Wh20 and RS.

I felt same until owning the pin for awhile. The music is genius. Granner is amazing.

#47 9 years ago

You gonna' talk, or are you gonna' fish?

#48 9 years ago

Seems like there's a consensus on this... Btw, the economics speak volumes too. Both CFTBL and Fishtales run on same Williams MPU and are same time period: yet CFTBL is 50% more expensive. Hard to argue with that. If anything, NGG is the one we should be debating as a contender for number one - more advanced system/Lawlor design/and it seems to be skyrocketing in value lately.

Still I say:

1.Creature
2. NGG
3. FT

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Seems like there's a consensus on this... Btw, the economics speak volumes too. Both CFTBL and Fishtales run on same Williams MPU and are same time period: yet CFTBL is 50% more expensive. Hard to argue with that. If anything, NGG is the one we should be debating as a contender for number one - more advanced system/Lawlor design/and it seems to be skyrocketing in value lately.
Still I say:
1.Creature
2. NGG
3. FT

Skyrocketing? From what, $2,800 to $3,200? NGG isn't even in the conversation IMO. Typically I'm swimming against the current around here. Invigorating as usual.

Talking value, Creature is a fine game, but if they made 6,000 more of them...on a par with the 13,600 FT in existence, would it really be that much more expensive? Same with WH2O. Twice as many on the market means a lot more beaters and a sub $3,500 price IMO.

Creature really pulls ahead on theme, especially for the guys who grew up in the era that pin celebrates. More people complain about the theme of FT than the gameplay! I've never heard one person say they didn't like the theme on Creature. But more people liking the theme doesn't mean the game is better. The KISS and SLIDE shots being the same is weak.

People here often confuse the cost of a game with its value.

Btw, FT is better than BSD too! All day every day!

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Skyrocketing? From what, $2,800 to $3,200? NGG isn't even in the conversation IMO. Typically I'm swimming against the current around here. Invigorating as usual.
Talking value, Creature is a fine game, but if they made 6,000 more of them...on a par with the 13,600 FT in existence, would it really be that much more expensive? Same with WH2O. Twice as many on the market means a lot more beaters and a sub $3,500 price IMO.
Creature really pulls ahead on theme, especially for the guys who grew up in the era that pin celebrates. More people complain about the theme of FT than the gameplay! I've never heard one person say they didn't like the theme on Creature. But more people liking the theme doesn't mean the game is better. The KISS and SLIDE shots being the same is weak.
People here often confuse the cost of a game with its value.
Btw, FT is better than BSD too! All day every day!

I dont agree with ngg and the skyrocketing seems 2500 to 3 is the normal and super/huo/restored examples reaching 3500-3700 which is where they been for awhile and agree that ft is a great pin and has a great fun/gameplay factor and all around a pretty awesome pin. I think creech is good and would own one for around 3300-3400 as which you can find them at sometimes .and yes people do think the more money u spend on something the better it is just human nature but is definitely not the case especially with pins. I have more fun on the 2-3k pins than I do on my tz and most other pricier pins. I enjoy bsd and ft alike and will be in my collection for a while

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 169.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,800 (OBO)
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-good-gofers-vs-creature-vs-fish-tales and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.