Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

When I achieve a replay, super jackpot or match play, it’s accompanied by a loud thump (or thumps) coming from the lower left side of the cabinet. To me it’s unmistakably mechanical. Is there a way to turn this feature off or disconnect it? I’m not quite sure what is creating the noise but I’m guessing a solenoid of some sort.

Thanks,

Bill

#2 3 years ago

Yep, that’s the knocker. Invented decades ago and all the machines since then have had that feature.

I’m not sure about NGG specifically but I just checked my World Cup Soccer, and there is no way to disable the knocker in software.

Two options: in the menu, change the replay to Fixed, and then set a really high value that you’ll never reach. You may also be able to change the match feature.

Or, with the power off, clip one of the wires to the knocker, which is a solenoid in the cabinet that fires a plunger right into the wall to produce the sound. Use a wire nut or electrical tape to cover the exposed part of the wire. Say something like “that’s the last we’ll be hearing from you” as you do it. Then give your best maniacal laugh.

Edit: read below for some different advice specific to NGG.

#3 3 years ago

My WCS has a quick disconnect on the knocker.

#4 3 years ago

Why would you ever want to disable it? Embrace that feeling of achievement and scare your friends and family in the process

#5 3 years ago

Probably a dozen times after selling someone a game I’ve had this complaint.

Always pisses me off. I’d I knew I’d have just removed the knocker and kept it, there’s like $30 worth of parts in that mech!

Once someone called me frothing at the mouth over the loud noises their pinbot is making when they turn the game on (they simply hadn’t made a ramp shot in a week).

Now I always turn off the service knocker feature on those games.

#6 3 years ago

The knocker sound is digital on NGG, however, the kickback coil also fires at the same time on this game. There is no setting that I’m aware of to turn that off.

#7 3 years ago

Need to turn the replay setting off..

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

The knocker sound is digital on NGG, however, the kickback coil also fires at the same time on this game. There is no setting that I’m aware of to turn that off.

The knocker sound on NGG is not digital. Knocker is on the upper left side of the backbox.
At least mine is.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from coniferpinball:

The knocker sound on NGG is not digital. Knocker is on the upper left side of the backbox.
At least mine is.

I wonder if that’s stock?

By NGG the knocker had moved to software (CV didn’t have it either) or so I thought... happy to be wrong.

#10 3 years ago

on CV its in the software not a physical knocker with a coil ,& I had thought that CV was the first game they did that with & so would assume that carried forward with all the games made after it ?? that would include NGG

2 weeks later
#11 3 years ago

At least mine is.

My technician said it was digital but I'd bet my paycheck it is mechanical like you said. Is it easily disabled or do I have to clip wires? You don't by chance have a picture of yours and it's location do you?

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from BHearne:

My technician said it was digital but I'd bet my paycheck it is mechanical like you said. Is it easily disabled or do I have to clip wires? You don't by chance have a picture of yours and it's location do you?

Do you know how to remove the translite and open the panel in the backbox?

Knocker is on the upper left side of the backbox.

It may have a quick disconnect which you can just pull apart with your hands (follow the wires for 6-12 inches and see if the run into a plastic disconnect), or you may have to cut off a wire (which you would want to do with the power off, and then cover with electrical tape or a wire nut before turning back on). I know you're new to this, but all the info you need is in this thread and it will make sense once you open up your machine and start poking around.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Do you know how to remove the translite and open the panel in the backbox?

It may have a quick disconnect which you can just pull apart with your hands (follow the wires for 6-12 inches and see if the run into a plastic disconnect), or you may have to cut off a wire (which you would want to do with the power off, and then cover with electrical tape or a wire nut before turning back on). I know you're new to this, but all the info you need is in this thread and it will make sense once you open up your machine and start poking around.

Yes I’m familiar with taking the machine apart. I’ll be hunting for that booger today!

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

1 week later
#14 3 years ago

At least mine is.

Do you by chance have a pic of the knocker on your NGG and where it’s located? I’ve checked the back box area and it’s not there. It sounds like it’s coming from the lower left side of the cabinet but I don’t see it there either.

Thanks

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from BHearne:

Do you by chance have a pic of the knocker on your NGG and where it’s located? I’ve checked the back box area and it’s not there. It sounds like it’s coming from the lower left side of the cabinet but I don’t see it there either.
Thanks

That's the kickback coil, which NGG fires to add a physical effect to the electronic knocker sound.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

That's the kickback coil, which NGG fires to add a physical effect to the electronic knocker sound.

Is there a way to disable the electronic knocker sound or is the answer already in this thread? I haven't tried going into the menus like some have suggested.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from BHearne:

Is there a way to disable the electronic knocker sound or is the answer already in this thread? I haven't tried going into the menus like some have suggested.

Try going into the menus like some have suggested.

#18 3 years ago

I’m entertained. We have some saying it’s an electronic knocker, some saying it’s a physical one, and others saying both.

BHearne Since it sounds like you looked in the backbox and it wasn’t there, it looks like you’re going to need to look in the menu and in the cabinet. It’s a small coil, about two or three inches long. It would be mounted to the side of the cabinet. When it activates, it flings a small rod into the wood.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I’m entertained. We have some saying it’s an electronic knocker, some saying it’s a physical one, and others saying both.
bhearne Since it sounds like you looked in the backbox and it wasn’t there, it looks like you’re going to need to look in the menu and in the cabinet. It’s a small coil, about two or three inches long. It would be mounted to the side of the cabinet. When it activates, it flings a small rod into the wood.

He could also just leave it alone and stop obsessing about the game operating properly as it was designed to. If he can't be bothered to check the menus as some have suggested it can't be bugging him that much, can it?

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from BHearne:

According to the manual. There isn't a mechanical knocker. And there isn't a way to turn off an electronic one.

LTG : )

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
4,800 (OBO)
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-good-gofers-loud-thump-during-replay?hl=sixleggeddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.