(Topic ID: 225535)

No Good Gofers, Fish Tales, Flintstones, or WCS?

By dontpanicflip

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mwong168
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which game would you recommend?”

• Fish Tales 37 votes
    39%
  • The Flintstones 17 votes
    18%
  • World Cup Soccer 14 votes
    15%
  • No Good Gofers 27 votes
    28%

(95 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AD4B8F8D-655E-4405-905E-B37918FB9235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20180919_011020 (resized).jpg
ef24dedefe9e3807da7d577ab27d85a09511ec63 (resized).jpg
6B4FFEDB-760D-4636-8416-B43E1A87ADD9 (resized).jpeg
0BC12248-9BFE-4F8E-A7E1-DB91623B96B4 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I could use some help in trying to decide what to buy next. Here's what I've been looking at:

- No Good Gofers
- Fish Tales
- The Flintstones
- World Cup Soccer

No Good Gofers
==========
I've played all of the tables above except No Good Gofers. I've seen enough No Good Gofers streams to know that it's a game I'll enjoy. Bowen's tutorial makes it seem like there is only one way to go about scoring points in a tournament. But still seems like fun and hard to find fault in a well-ranked Pat Lawlor design.

Fish Tales
==========
I love Fish Tales for the theme and interesting layout. In fact, the theme alone is almost an easy sell. It seems like there is 2 ways to play: Super-jackpot or Rock the Boat. I have fun playing it on-location I'm just not sure if it'll last that long in-house.

The Flintstones (cartoon converted)
==========
I played recently and fell in love. I'm not really a fan of Flintstones although I watched it on Saturday mornings growing up. Super fun layout, cute artwork, simple rule-set, and kid friendly (I have a 5 year old who I think would love all of the dinosaurs).

World Cup Soccer
==========
Super fun layout with an achievable wizard mode. I beat Germany 2 weeks ago which was ridiculously satisfying. I think I'd be fine playing this pin often but not sure how long it would last in my collection. The toys and layout are so dang fun which is why it's still on my buy list even after beating it.

Let me know if you have any insight, thoughts, concerns, comments, etc... all feedback appreciated!

#2 5 years ago

I personally prefer Flintstones the most out of the bunch I like the theme the most it has good rules and cool toys. My second pick would be WCS.

#3 5 years ago

I would say Flintstones, really a fun machine. Had all of them but never thought of selling Flints.

#4 5 years ago

Flints is pretty good but every time I play it, I put up crazy high scores on it. It just isn’t a very challenging game to me.

NGG does nothing for me and I’ve tried to get into many times.

Same with WCS. It just felt like there wasn’t enough to shoot for on that one.

My pick is Fish Tales. I’ve my had mine for years and I still love it. Side note: it’s always the first game non-pin-head guests gravitate to.

Good luck!

#5 5 years ago

I have WCS and FS.

I just played a game of FS like 30 minutes ago and got 1.7B and it is so freaking fun. Love the music and the call outs. It is a game I always can walk up to and get a smile from (and it is one I've had the longest.) Really like the side bowling game and that is the only initials I've not had someone beat yet on my games.

I'm not a good player and when I get to the finals in WCS I feel like I am playing soccer. It would be interesting to get a BPM on my heart because I get so amped up. Super fun and approachable (both of them).

#6 5 years ago

WCS, FT, NGG, Flint in that order from my fave to least....my .25 cents

#7 5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm genuinely surprised to see so many people say they enjoy Flintstones! I thought it may have been just me that found it interesting. No one else was playing it last weekend at the bar I found it at. I must have put 10 games on it and gone to get several beers with no one bothering me to jump on.

I completely agree that WCS makes it feel like I'm actually playing soccer Vs. the goalie towards the end.

I think the only game that hasn't gotten any love yet is No Good Gofers and that is also surprising.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from dontpanicflip:

Thanks for the feedback!
I'm genuinely surprised to see so many people say they enjoy Flintstones! I thought it may have been just me that found it interesting. No one else was playing it last weekend at the bar I found it at. I must have put 10 games on it and gone to get several beers with no one bothering me to jump on.
I completely agree that WCS makes it feel like I'm actually playing soccer Vs. the goalie towards the end.
I think the only game that hasn't gotten any love yet is No Good Gofers and that is also surprising.

I really enjoyed NGG.... The problem was that music which is terrible. The goofers hey annoying too however it is a lawlor with good flow which is not common.

WCS is fun but gets boring. I don't like Flintstones.... Theme alone. Never owned FT... Country music is also annoying but I feel like it's a great value. My pick would be ngg hit you don't mind music.

#9 5 years ago

Man...those are terrible choices.
Just my opinion

#10 5 years ago

I have owned them all.

Flintstones sucks for the theme but if you redo it the game is great.

NGG is fun but the gophers get annoying.

WCS I have owned twice. Good fun that kids seem to gravitate toward.

FT is just fun. The boat ramp is clever and everyone seems to enjoy it.

I have also sold all but NGG, and should have kept the Flintstones!

0BC12248-9BFE-4F8E-A7E1-DB91623B96B4 (resized).jpeg0BC12248-9BFE-4F8E-A7E1-DB91623B96B4 (resized).jpeg6B4FFEDB-760D-4636-8416-B43E1A87ADD9 (resized).jpeg6B4FFEDB-760D-4636-8416-B43E1A87ADD9 (resized).jpeg
#11 5 years ago

Wow @bos98 that Flintstones looks AMAZING!! I want that one!

#12 5 years ago

Fish Tales is an easy choice here for me.

#13 5 years ago

Wow @bos98 that Flintstones looks AMAZING!! I want that one!

I sold it at the Cleveland Show the other week. I regretted it for a day or 2 but am just going to buy a Deadpool to get over it.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from tjprice222:

Flints is pretty good but every time I play it, I put up crazy high scores on it. It just isn’t a very challenging game to me.
NGG does nothing for me and I’ve tried to get into many times.
Same with WCS. It just felt like there wasn’t enough to shoot for on that one.
My pick is Fish Tales. I’ve my had mine for years and I still love it. Side note: it’s always the first game non-pin-head guests gravitate to.
Good luck!

I have the exact same opinion. Although I have not played Flintstones that much, it does seem like an easy game. Fun game but can see it getting old if it's easy to beat. I love Lawlor games but not all his games are brilliant. I enjoy playing NGG overall but it doesn't feel like a classic Lawlor game. WCS is also decent fun but never could get into it.

Fish Tales also my top pick. It has the whole package that made B/W games great - awesome art, great theme integration, great music, fun dots, and good gameplay. It's not that deep but very challenging, especially with those lightning flippers.

#15 5 years ago

I currently own a NGG and think its an absolute blast. I find it to be a great host for pinball parties, especially with my golfing buddies. We will play for hours on hours. I can see if your not into golfing the theme getting old fast.

#16 5 years ago
#17 5 years ago

No Good Gofers was my first game and I'm an avid golfer, it still has a place in my heart; however, the machine had multiple issues. The slam ram wanted to break the playfield constantly, either Mylar or one of the remake slam ramps is a must. The Gophers and the ramp design need a lot of maintenance to keep operational. The gameplay is tiresome after a while. I could complete 9 holes and unlock the wizard mode in every game, most games completing 18 holes was done. It gets to a point of where the only challenge is going for 9 hole in ones as opposed to finishing the game modes.

I rebought NGG after selling it. I was able to pick up a collector quality game, more because I have a lot of friends who golf and gravitate towards the game. It probably hasn't been turned on by the family in a couple of months, maybe three?

WCS is a really underrated game. It's lost something because it was theme specific; however, that and Fish Tales would be on top of Gophers. My mother owns FT and she still plays it quite a bit, there's something really satisfying about getting all three balls in multiball and going for the jackpot/superjackpot and shooting the water skiers in video mode is among the most fun video modes out there.

#18 5 years ago

Alright, now I'm more confused then when I started... Great feedback from everyone but not one clear winner. I should have created a poll at the beginning (I didn't realize it was an option). I just added one so feel free to cast your vote.

Summary
The Flintstones - Fun but not challenging. Could get boring over time.
No Good Gofers - Fun but the gophers are irritating along with the callouts/sound. Requires more maintenance due to playfield design.
World Cup Soccer - Fun but it's soccer.
Fish Tales - Fun. Challenging. Simple.

I think No Good Gofers is out. I dislike the idea of buying a game I'll be forced to maintenance often. I'm already doing flipper rebuilds on Dungeons and Dragons, and being forced to fix broken wires on Shadow. I like that my Iron Maiden just works 100% of the time. Add to that I haven't played NGG yet and how much I hate repetitive call-outs and I think that's a big lean towards the direction of no.

Theme (in general) doesn't mean as much to me anymore since Iron Maiden. It was my gateway pin to appreciating a game regardless of theme. That and Guardians, a game where I loved the theme but got bored of the pin real quick. So WCS is still high up on my list even though I'm not much of a sports fan. I've heard some horror stories about WCSs breaking down often. I'm not sure if anyone has had maintenance issues with it?

I'm concerned about Flintstones having too long of ball-times and being too simple to beat if the replay value isn't there. But the FUN is definitely there. Had such a blast playing it last weekend.

Fish Tales has always been high on my list. It's fishing. It's challenging. Theme integration is amazing. That game kicks my butt on-location. It's a game that comes up in league/tournaments often.

So it's now between Fish Tales, WCS, and Flintstones. Grr...

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful feedback!

#19 5 years ago

Fishtales, only game I've ever rebought...so far....WCS would be my 2nd choice.

Getting Supers is pretty difficult for the average player, but once you can do that consistently it really opens up the game and the scores

#20 5 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't consider WCS. It's a game that's too "easy". You'll probably get bored of that one pretty quickly, especially if you're not gung-ho about the theme.

NGG gets annoying after a while.

I don't think you can go wrong with FT, especially if you've enjoyed playing it before.

I've only had an opportunity to play Flintstones once, so I can't really comment too much on it. I might give that one a try considering it doesn't surface too often. FT's aren't too hard to come by, so you can probably get one of those at pretty much any time.

I've heard some horror stories about WCSs breaking down often. I'm not sure if anyone has had maintenance issues with it?

I dislike the idea of buying a game I'll be forced to maintenance often.

Honestly, any game will require maintenance. That just comes with pinball ownership. Keep it clean and waxed and address small problems before they become bigger ones, and you'll probably be fine. The games you listed really aren't that bad. There are significantly more complicated 90s games by comparison, such as STTNG.

#21 5 years ago

Fish Tales, while I no longer own it, is one of my favorite modern pins. Great for guests but can be dialed in to make a true player's machine (pitch, lightning flippers, etc).

WCS, owned it for a month or two. Really enjoyed it initially but got boring for me quickly. Theme is meh for me too.

NGG, played it a lot and would like to own someday and give it a true run for its money.

Flintstones, played on location and at shows and it never really grabbed me. Theme is just ok and toys just ok.

Fish tales is the winner for fun, for just one more game, for callouts, and for bang for your buck. And the cDMD looks amazing on it.

#22 5 years ago

Cliffy has a lift catch set that is a must if you do buy NGG. Keeps the ramps operational as his set is quite a bit thicker than the default set.

#23 5 years ago

OK Flntstones is by fair the worst AKA orange diaper of the bunch.
WCS is over, those days are gone. Not a bad game at all but man I couldn;t imagine playing it over and over if owning it.
NGG is good fun, but the game is a mess. Hold in One shot is great, the rest is so over and over cart attack gofer batshit crazy it just gets old quick. It's a golf game where scoring a low golf score really make sno diff'rence which was the biggest issue for me...there juts isn't any incentive.

Fish tales for me.

#24 5 years ago

Seems like not enough people had much time on Flintstones to make a good judgement of the game , but i can understand it is a harder to find machine than the rest.

#25 5 years ago

Fish Tales is just plain fun. It is the ultimate game for finding a rhythm. When you find it, you can smash the boat ramp and keep getting the monster fish. I have one and I have yet to even have a thought of getting rid of it. I had WCS but got rid of it. It is fun but did get boring. It is very easy for people to walk up to it and just play. Nothing hard about it. Flintstones and NGG....I haven't played enough to form an opinion. They were both fun when I did play them though. My son loved flintstones but only played a few games.

Go fish tales!

#26 5 years ago

I recently sold my FT...its better than WCS and NGG.
I enjoy Flintstones as much as FT

ef24dedefe9e3807da7d577ab27d85a09511ec63 (resized).jpgef24dedefe9e3807da7d577ab27d85a09511ec63 (resized).jpg
#27 5 years ago

I've owned all of them before except for Fish Tales. I've played it enough in other people's collections to know it is not for me. I am actually picking up Flintstones tonight to bring back into my collection again because I miss playing it since I sold it back in 2012. Usually when I bring pins back for Round 2 they normally forever. My second choice from that list would be World Cup Soccer '94 which was very popular with non pinhead guests. Let's face it who doesn't feel good when the game keeps on screaming GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL!

#28 5 years ago

WCS is the easy choice for me here. The kids/family love it, I grew up playing it, and I'm a huge soccer fan. So I am a little biased!

If I had to choose from the remaining three, Fish Tales is by far my next choice. Flintstones has been nothing special when I've played it; NGG is not a bad game by any stretch but it's not worth the extra bucks and to me gets annoying after a while.

#29 5 years ago

Kids do love WCS. Mine's been down a long time (needs some board work) and my kids (12 and 16) miss it. I also really enjoy the game, and have beat it, but its just really creative and colorful and well integrated and fun. Good gameplay.

FT is my favorite on your list. I think it has one of the tightest, elegant rule sets in pinball. Its a game that fights you a little and has huge risk reward opportunities. Perfect theme integration too.

NGG just annoys me. I've played the game live and on video pinball and I just can't get over the sounds and music and callouts Everything I thought I'd hate about FT but love. And hate on NGG.

Flintstones is a supercool game. I've played it far less then the others but always enjoy it. Great looking game too. So I don't really know how shallow it is. A shallow game can still have great staying power in a collection (like FT and IM), but it can also be boring as hell. Depends on the rules.

#30 5 years ago

My vote is for Flintstones....ball time can be a little long, but it's just a solid shooting game, with a great layout. It may not be the deepest pin, but there is plenty of do. I'm actually in the process of getting one myself!

I don't think you can go wrong with the other choices, but I think Flintstones is the best bang for the buck.....

#31 5 years ago

Had NGG and FT. Ngg I was pretty hyped about, but wasn't my cup of tea. Sold it after 3 weeks. FT lasted 3 months, liked the "combo flow in the zone thing", but sold it because the lack of value for money. Btw, never buy FT when it's ur only pin.

WCS and Flintstones; played WCS a couple of times, but it's a 1dollarstore pin in comparison with CV which I owned at that moment.
Flintstones I seem to rlly like and is on my list when the crazy prices settle bit.

#32 5 years ago

I'd LOVE to have a nice HUO Fishtales. That's a great pin.

NGG has one good shot. It's the coolest shot in pinball, but it's just one.

Flintstones SHOULD be fantastic but I've never run into one in good condition.

WCS is more fun than watching soccer.

#33 5 years ago

Flintstones in the house Going to spend next days to get it dialed in and 100%.

IMG_20180919_011020 (resized).jpgIMG_20180919_011020 (resized).jpg
#34 5 years ago

Congrats on your Flintstones mwong168 ! And beautiful collection.

#35 5 years ago

NGG in my opinion is the best of that bunch.

Good shot variety, great mechanics, humor, flow, and the hole in one shot is pretty damned cool.
Never would have bought one on purpose, but I accidental fell into one, and I'm quite glad I did.

Fishtales has always been a meh for me. Cool ball lock mech. but the symmetrical ramps clog up too much of the playfield.

I owned a WCS for a while and it never really grabbed me. Good game, and that's it.

I haven't had much time of Flintstones. I think I like it the little I've played it.

#36 5 years ago

Fish Tales definitely. I didn't care for the theme, but the rules and layout are the perfect mix! You can go for super jackpots, go for monster fish, or rock the boat. And theres feeding frenzy for big points too. You'll learn some great risk reward strategy. Plus the color DMD is amazing in this game.
WCS is my 2nd choice.

3 weeks later
#37 5 years ago

NGG by far over FT, WCS, and FS. I have owned all but FT. FT is fun to play on location but to own nah.

4 weeks later
#38 5 years ago

So what did you get? Do tell

#39 5 years ago

I grabbed a Flintstones! I’m working on a Fish Tails or World Cup Soccer now. We’ll see which happens first.

AD4B8F8D-655E-4405-905E-B37918FB9235 (resized).jpegAD4B8F8D-655E-4405-905E-B37918FB9235 (resized).jpeg
#40 5 years ago

Jesus Christ, my condolences.

#41 5 years ago

Looks like a sweet Flintstones! Congrats

#42 5 years ago

Flintstones is beautiful but I’ve had a bunch of issues with it. The Time Machine up-kick triggers randomly and the right flipper is weak. I’ve got the end-of-stroke switches set perfectly but still not enough power on the right flipper in my opinion.

I’ve got Randy from Peak Pinball in CO stopping by the day before Thanksgiving to take a look. He fixed up my Dungeons and Dragons perfectly.

Besides the technical issues, I’m super happy with the game. It has already been 1/2 upgraded to the cartoon and I plan on re-skinning the cabinet along with powder coating the armor to finish it up. It should look very similar to Bos98 pic above when done.

#43 5 years ago

Easter egg: player 2 (and 4) Water Buffalos is slightly different, so don't just play 1-player games.
You can stack tons of things in this game but the timers don't pause for multi-ball startup sequence.
My favorite sort of hidden mode (don't get it too often) is Find the Kids, a nod to CFTBL.
Try to bank the Super Jackpot off BED.
Max out your bonus multipliers to get 10M. Now do it with 2x playfield.
I think you can make an adjustment so you don't always start Bronto mode with that race. It's a percentage.
Also do get a plastic protector for the piece below Joe's Diner. ULEK store has one now. That is a commonly broken plastic.

#44 5 years ago

Flintstones is beautiful but I’ve had a bunch of issues with it. The Time Machine up-kick triggers randomly and the right flipper is weak. I’ve got the end-of-stroke switches set perfectly but still not enough power on the right flipper in my opinion.

I would check the switch for the time machine up kicker if it is randomly firing off. A flipper rebuild kit will address probably address that weak right flipper unless it isn't getting the full voltage than you have a whole other issue. I would probably go ahead and rebuild the other flipper(s) in your game too and this is first thing I do whenever I get a new game. This is a small price to pay to ensure your game is playing properly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-good-gofers-fish-tales-flintstones-or-wcs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.