View topic image gallery

StarTrek_Switch_Issue1.jpg
20200921_121347 (resized).jpg
20200921_121340 (resized).jpg
20200921_111735 (resized).jpg
20200921_111638 (resized).jpg
20200920_172530 (resized).jpg
Screenshot (4) (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seeburg220.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Update: drop target solenoid issue has been fixed. But, it still won't start a game. I checked continuity on the two credit button wires to the MPU and they are good. There are credits showing on the display. I swapped MPU boards out with another working game I have and no change.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Are you measuring 43 volts DC on both lugs of the drop target reset coil?

Found a broken coil wire, so it works now under test mode. Still won't start a game.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Have to ask, but you do have credits on the machine?
Does the start button respond in switch test? What about the other cabinet/coin door switches in switch test mode?

It does have credits. The coin switches register but the start button doesn't. A few playfield switches do not, either.
I did do a playfield swap on it, so I must have screwed up some wiring. Will go back and study the pictures I took before I swapped it.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The start button cabling connects to MPU J3, while the playfield switches connect to MPU J2.
They share the same switch matrix signals.
Only way one can affect the other is if you have a short. Are you getting any stuck switches reported in switch test mode?

I did have several, but adjusted them and now have none showing, but still no game start. I took detailed photos of the underside before I made the playfield switch, so I'm gonna pull the playfield out and check every connection, every wire. Hopefully, I will find the culprit.

Edit - I did find several playfield switches that aren't registering at all.

#8 3 years ago

Here's the latest:

Top Rollover #22 in manual does not register in switch test mode. It does however, trigger several lamps on the playfield.

Lower Thumper Bumper #38 does not register, but does trigger several different lamps on playfield (different lamps than the ones above).

"A" Rollover at the top #30 does not register. Also, the manual is wrong: It shows B as #30 and A as #31. B is really #31 and A is #30. I verified the before picture on the wiring for this. "A" is not registering. B is registering.

Credit start button does not register.

I need help with the matrix: the line I've highlighted has all of the the switch issues. What's my next step? Find that wire and physically trace it back to the MPU ? Or, should I start removing switches on that line one at a time, to see if it clears up? Troubleshooting is something I could use some expertise with. Thanks all !

20200920_172530 (resized).jpg20200920_172530 (resized).jpgScreenshot (4) (resized).pngScreenshot (4) (resized).png
#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Both the schematics and switch test mode identification tables in the manual show "B" at switch #31 and "A" at switch #30. Where are you seeing this error in the manual?
That row in the switch matrix you highlighted says you have a short circuit to ground on that "I5" switch return signal. It's a Brown-Yellow wire. Carefully inspect the three playfield switches (bottom pop bumper, "A" rollover and top upper rollover button) it's wired to looking for a short to a lamp socket.
Note, the start button is also on that I5 switch return signal which is why it's not working.
Pull out the playfield switch harness connector from J2 at the MPU board.
Can you now start a game? If yes, it tells you the issue is on the playfield.

My manual shows B as switch #30 and A as #31 (see pic below).

I've gone over the 3 playfield switches carefully and see no short issues.

I unplugged J2 at the MPU and it still does not start. (there are 35 credits showing as well).

I checked continuity on the 3 playfield switches, as well as the start button to the mpu connector and all are working.

Totally stumped...

20200921_111638 (resized).jpg20200921_111638 (resized).jpg20200921_111735 (resized).jpg20200921_111735 (resized).jpg
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Ok, this time go into switch test mode and then pull J3 live off the MPU board. Do those 3 playfield switches now work?

Switch #30 (A) is now working, just arbitrarily, all of a sudden.

I pulled J3 live and no change. The upper rollover button and the lower pop bumper do not register in test mode.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Did this happen after you pulled J3?
Presuming you have a genuine factory Bally MPU board, grab a jumper wire and connect one end to test point TP1, touch the other end of the wire on pin 14 of J3. Does it start a game?
If it's a Bally MPU board, can you post some clear high res pictures?

No, it happened before I pulled it.

I have an Alltek MPU board. I swapped it with another known working Alltek and no change.

#15 3 years ago

PROBLEM FIXED !

The lamp housing for the top saucer, was touching the metal kickout assembly. As soon as I moved it, the whole game worked. Go figure! Woo hoo ! Thanks for helping me out on this; I learned a lot, despite being a geezer.

20200921_121340 (resized).jpg20200921_121340 (resized).jpg20200921_121347 (resized).jpg20200921_121347 (resized).jpg
#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Actually this looks like your issue. The ground on the G.I lamp was probably shorting to the "A" switch frame that's mechanically connected to the "I5" switch return Brown-Yellow wire.
[quoted image]

I see. So it does make sense ! Thanks again for taking the time to explain this. I really do like learning more about these. Cheers

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seeburg220.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-game-start-amp-no-target-reset?tu=seeburg220 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.