• Latest reply 2 years ago by rockwell
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16379600957301687045335705836897 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I'm not sure what my issue is, but some basic troubleshooting has yielded nothing so far. On my Mr & Mrs Pac-Man (which I have rebuilt most of after fixing the cabinet), I had flippers working yesterday, but today they are dead. None of the three flippers activate. Here's what I've checked:

- Confirmed voltage at the flipper coils
- Playfield 1A fuse confirmed good
- Getting proper blinks on Alltek MPU
- Everything appears to be connected and wired properly at the flipper coil/switch
- Voltages on the SDB appear to be ok: TP1 5.2v; TP2 176 v; TP3 5.2v; TP4 252v; TP5 15.6v; TP6&7 5.2v
- All connectors have been repinned (except for the Rectifier board), including J2 on the SDB

Any other thoughts what I might check next? I thought maybe since all the flippers are out it may be a relay, but I am unsure. I also don't know how to check that. I will go through and check the transistors on the SDB, but since it's all three flippers that seemed unlikely to me.

This appears to be the only issue I have at this point...although I have one display acting strangely (player 3) and I'm not displaying my "millions" digit on the 7-digit displays. (These are all new displays).

Here's a link to a quick video of the power-up sequence. You can kind of tell how it seems a little quiet. No flipper coils activating. And you can see the display issue (the displays look normal, the video just renders it weirdly). Thanks!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/q6eNeL21ftX2WL4D8

#2 2 years ago

Hold down the right flipper button while wiggling J1, J2 and the relay on the SDB. Any of these can have broken solder joints, and you'll see/hear the flipper start working if it is a solder joint. J1 pins 8 and 9 and J2 pins 1 and 2 go to the relay. I normally put new header pins on the SDB as the old pins do not always like to take solder well.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Hold down the right flipper button while wiggling J1, J2 and the relay on the SDB. Any of these can have broken solder joints, and you'll see/hear the flipper start working if it is a solder joint. J1 pins 8 and 9 and J2 pins 1 and 2 go to the relay. I normally put new header pins on the SDB as the old pins do not always like to take solder well.

That turned up nothing, but I did wiggle some other connectors and got flipper action when I wiggled A4J4 so I am going to examine that connector.

#4 2 years ago

since it's common to both sides flippers and you have voltage at the coils - it's gonna be the ground/switched line through the SDB or the relay or the control to the relay.

You mention connectors repinned... do you suspect your work or the headers?

You can tone out the relay legs to see if it's closing (should also be audible when you are near the board). If you don't hear the relay go, try it in test mode (should be one of the controlled coils firing #8)

You should confirm the relay is working as intended... that will split which side of the problem you are chasing.. and then it's bound to be connectivity

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

That turned up nothing, but I did wiggle some other connectors and got flipper action when I wiggled A4J4 so I am going to examine that connector.

A4J4 is your coil control lines... probably connector issue on the enable lines that enable the relay (J9 pin8 ->A4J4-7)

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

A4J4 is your coil control lines... probably connector issue on the enable lines that enable the relay (J9 pin8 ->A4J4-7)

Found it! There was a loose wire at A4J4-18. The gray/green wire that come from the SDB. I'll have to look into it a bit more to understand what that wire is responsible for. But I have flippers now! Will mark it solved. But ways appreciate insight. Thanks!

When in doubt. Wiggle stuff?

#7 2 years ago

I do suggest replacing all headers pins on the SDB. Repinning the female connectors definitely was a good start.

#8 2 years ago

Yep, roger that. I did actually repin all the headers on the SDB and LDB. Seems like good general practice

16379600957301687045335705836897 (resized).jpg16379600957301687045335705836897 (resized).jpg

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Found it! There was a loose wire at A4J4-18. The gray/green wire that come from the SDB. I'll have to look into it a bit more to understand what that wire is responsible for. But I have flippers now! Will mark it solved. But ways appreciate insight. Thanks!
When in doubt. Wiggle stuff?

ground tie between the boards.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

ground tie between the boards.

That would make sense. Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-flippers-relay-issue?hl=rockwell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.