Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Leosac
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Working on a Williams Flash that I recently picked up.

Boards have all been rebuilt and re-installed. Credits register, ball loads and shoots out into game. Targets and bumpers appear to score appropriately.

My two main problems: Flippers do not work at all and sequencing playfield lights do not light or flash.

Where do I begin?

#2 4 years ago

Start with the basics, pull out each fuse and test for continuity. Make sure they are the right amperage and replace. Then check all the voltages on the power supply board and report back what you find.

#3 4 years ago

What do the coin door diagnostics do when you call up the light test? I had a situation on my Black Knight where the lamp test looked just great but nothing would work in game play. The advantage to doing the lamp test is it rules out playfield wiring. Flash is a little earlier than BK so I'm making an assumption here that Flash has a lamp diagnostic test - if not, disregard!

#4 4 years ago

I think the large plastic relay on the driver board controls when the flippers are on or off. If there was corrosion before on the board it may have gotten inside the plastic relay and caused it not to work. My black knight driver board relay had horrible corrosion and needed to be replaced. The other thing is to make sure all the connectors are where they should be and are firmly seated.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Start with the basics, pull out each fuse and test for continuity. Make sure they are the right amperage and replace. Then check all the voltages on the power supply board and report back what you find.

All fuses are correct and have continuity. Not sure what sure what you mean by checking the voltages on the power supply board. Can you further enlighten me?

#6 4 years ago

On the p/s board look for p-3 pins 6-8 28 volts dc. p-4 pins 5-8 16 volts dc. p-6 pins 7-10 5 volts dc. p-6 pins 11-15 ground. bridge rectifier #2 wire wht/red 30-50 volts dc. Then check flipper fuse under the playfield for continuity. Let us know what you find?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

What do the coin door diagnostics do when you call up the light test?

I ran the lamp diagnostic test but nothing at all seemed to happen. No lights lit. No reporting messages. Same problem when I ran the solenoid test. I cycled through the solenoids but got no responses.

I went to the appropriate test code. Advanced through as suggested in the manual but nothing happens. Am I performing these test improperly?

#8 4 years ago

The tests don't work with out power.

#9 4 years ago

He almost certainly has power if the game is coining up, starting and scoring appropriately. With no flippers, and no controlled lamps working, he's likely looking at either a driver board issue or a wiring problem.

On my BK, I had an issue with the IDC connector on the driver board that feeds the flippers. Try gently flexing some of the wires on that connector while holding in a flipper button. See if it will fire. Mine was intermittent until I redid the connector. I'm not near the machine right now, but I believe it was the bottom 2 wires on the 2nd connector from the top on the left side of the driver board.

#10 4 years ago

Got the flippers working. I believe it was a loose wiring issue.

The remaining issues are:

- the pulsating lights do not work

- 2 of the bumpers do not activate or score

#11 4 years ago

Bumpers are now working after I got the solenoid diagnostic to work. I am now left with one MAJOR problem; the GI lights do not light at all. The diagnostic does nothing.

All fuses are good, wires all seem to be appropriately connected. Boards were all professionally refurbished I'm relying on the fact that boards are in working order but cannot confirm that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.00
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 11.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside