Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Schwaggs
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG

#1 5 years ago

I have a Firepower that I just recently realized is not firing the flashers under the the two hotdog inserts on the playfield.
I currently have two 89 style flashers in the sockets.
Both bulbs test good.
All wiring on the bulb sockets are good.
I have replaced the small diode on the little board by the flashers (Pic below)
The larger Diode seems to test good with my meter but has obviously gotten hot over the years (Pic)
Just for fun I replaced the driver transistor #43 on the driver board with no luck.

Today I noticed a single wire that had come disconnected where the backbox connects to the cabinet.
It is the wire in the photo below that is all by itself with a single molex connection.
The wire happened to be the color Brown/Violet that the manual says drives the flashers so I thought I had found the problem. But after reconnecting it, I still get no flashers at all.

Any ideas what to try next?

IMG_0385.JPG IMG_0393.JPG
#2 5 years ago

The large resistor on that board looks like it may be toast. Here is a pic of mine if it helps at all
image.jpg

Good luck!

#3 5 years ago

Awesome. Thanks.
I have those white brick style resistors in stock if that is the same value used on the GI circuit on the driver board.
Can't hurt to try that.

#4 5 years ago

Looks like we have more differences.
First of all your two diodes attach to the same leg and overlap.
And our wiring is different as well. I only have one yellow wire on the far left and two red next to it.
This could get interesting.
I would assume yours is correct if it is working like that.
Anyone else care to check or post a photo of your board?

#5 5 years ago

Those are resistors and not diodes...

You both have the WRONG resistors in your flasher circuits.

Spitfire, you have a 500 ohm 5W where the 330 ohm 2W or greater (so the 5W you have is OK) should go. It probably will not cause a problem with the flashers working as it is only the warming resistor. Only drawback may be that your bulbs may not flash as bright as they could and will not last as long.

The OP has a wiring problem and a resistor problem.

You have a 1k (Brown Black Red) that should be a 1 ohm 1/2 watt (Brown Black Gold) (this is one reason your flashers will not work)

And you are correct, the wires on your terminal are not correct.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks Schwaggs. I purchased 1 ohm 1/2 watt and that is exactly what it says on the pack it came out of. strange. I noticed the band color was different from the original but it definitely says 1 ohm 1/2 watt on the pack.
If someone could post a clear photo of their wiring to the lugs that would be awesome.
The photo above is a good start but some of the lugs on the right are blocked.

So the two resistors are supposed to overlap on that one lug?

#7 5 years ago

Right, the 2 resistors connect in the middle and the wires leading to the flasher bulbs should connect on this same lug. I believe this is the yellow wire already on the center lug in your picture. You should confirm this yellow wire leads to the flasher sockets to make sure it is the correct yellow wire (there are 2 yellow wires on this terminal strip).

The other end of the 1 ohm should be on a lug with only the Brown-purple wire.

The other end of the 330 ohm should go to solenoid ground, black wires (this looks correct in your picture).

The thing we need to figure out is the red wires and that yellow wire currently on the end lug. Can you trace that the yellow wire that is on the end terminal to see where it goes?

The other option we can conclude (more risky) is once you confirm you have the correct yellow wire that leads to the flashers connected to the resistor terminal, the other yellow wire should go with the red wires on their own terminal, based on Spitfire's picture....

#8 5 years ago

Yes I will trace the wires.
But it won't be until after work.
I will go online in the meantime and order the correct resistors.
Just found the two resistors in stock locally

#9 5 years ago

Awesome, good luck!

#10 5 years ago

Arrrrrgh. They sold me a 33 ohm instead of 330 ohm.
Gotta go back
Got it

#11 5 years ago

That stinks! Make sure the 330 is 2 watts or bigger.

#12 5 years ago

It is. I triple checked . Lol

#13 5 years ago

Ok.
The yellow wire on the far left lug goes to the bottom lug of the FIRE flasher.
The yellow wire on the third lug from the left goes to the bottom lug of the POWER flasher.
The two red wires on the second lug - Both go into the large bundle of wires. One goes towards the top of the playfield and the other heads down the playfield. It would take quite a bit of work to find their destinations.

Hopefully this is enough info to figure out what should go where.

#14 5 years ago

Deleted, incorrect post

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

OK, I would leave the 2 red wires where they are.... (2nd lug)
Move the brown-violet wire and one leg of the 1 ohm to 1st lug
Move both yellow wires and the other leg of 1 ohm and one leg of the 330 ohm to lug 3
Leave the black wires and the other leg of the 330 ohm on the 5th lug

Thanks.
You have been the best.
I will hopefully have time to do that tomorrow after work.
Regardless of when I get to it, I will post the results here.
Thanks again.

#16 5 years ago

Wait! Don't wire it the way I said above. I will post correct instructions in a couple hours.

#17 5 years ago

No problem. Will probably be Friday before I can get to it.

#18 5 years ago

While thinking about this circuit this morning, I realized that the flashers are supposed to be in series, not parallel. You already confirmed that each of the yellow wires connects to the bottom of each flasher socket. Confirm that there is a wire that connects the other flasher socket terminal (the base from the sounds of things) of the two sockets together and connects to nothing else. If that's there, here is what you need to do.

On terminal 1, connect the yellow wire that is already there with the 2 red wires (the red wires should be solenoid power)

On terminal 2, connect one lead of the 1 ohm and the brown purple wire

On terminal 3, connect the other lead of the 1 ohm, one lead of the 330 ohm and the other yellow wire (there already)

Terminal 4 is empty

Terminal 5 should be the other lead of the 330 ohm and the black wires (already there).

#19 5 years ago

Yes. There is a yellow wire that connects the two flasher bases together and nothing else.

Thanks again for all the help with this.

#20 5 years ago

Working great now.
Thanks for the wiring help for this.

#21 5 years ago

cool!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 11.00
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside