Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by GPS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

baby fist pump fixed it (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Hi,

It is sometimes frustrating to take time investigating raised problems, by diving into the manual of pins you maybe do not know. You bring, or try to bring, an adequate answer, and you never get any feedback, status or additional questions. It is like you should have better stayed playing with your favorite game or watching TV instead of taking time to answer

#2 6 years ago

Totally positively agree.

#3 6 years ago

Sorry that happens. Life or frustration probably gets in the way. But from someone who sees all the help generous folks like you give others here..Thank You!!

#4 6 years ago

Helping fellow Pinheads is all part of being on a forum. There are plenty of time differences so people may just be going to sleep or have their head stuck in their pinball machine all day and night. I do agree with you that a thank you here and there could go a long way. We have received some top notch help in diagnosing issues on our machines from this site and without Pinside I am sure that getting some of the machines going would have been near impossible. Remember, there are plenty of good people on Pinside with plenty of help to be had. We appreciate that.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Sorry that happens. Life or frustration probably gets in the way. But from someone who sees all the help generous folks like you give others here..Thank You!!

You are right, and to be honest I do not deserve any thanks, I am not a guru or a regular helper at all. Only I noticed that people are not grateful or even do not make a follow-up. Maybe I am too old now Values change ...

#6 6 years ago

When I help someone out, I'm definitely looking to at least get fed, but some beer would be really nice.

#7 6 years ago

While a positive feed back or thank you would be nice. Don't hold your breath. Your lucky if they even post back that you fixed their issue or worse give up-vote to the guy who said the same thing you did but afterwards.

Good deeds are like giving to charity. Their own reward. Unless they offered a beer. Got to collect that.

(see, I stole the beer thing from o-din)

#8 6 years ago

I try to post back every time I make progress. I also try to help when/where I can to keep things as balanced s possible.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I try to post back every time I make progress. I also try to help when/where I can to keep things as balanced s possible.

I rarely post for help. Not because I am that good at fixing, I'm good at searching. When it comes to a problem I figure I am not the first.

Just kidding, I'm that good

#10 6 years ago

I never expect anything. I help because I like to.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

I rarely post for help. Not because I am that good at fixing, I'm good at searching. When it comes to a problem I figure I am not the first.
    Just kidding, I'm that good

The personal research for how to do something is part of the fun for me. Maybe I saw the ops and others advice and it helped me at a different time. So really you are unselfishly paying it forward to all pinsiders collectively ......like say the Borg do it.

Sincerely
    Steve J

#12 6 years ago

I was happy to have helped a few others. The fact that I could help anyone and was correct with my diagnosis was all the thanks I needed. As I'm new in the fixing and diagnosing part of this addiction so it made me feel really good and just maybe one day I will have this stuff down.

#13 6 years ago

I always just assume they gave up.

#14 6 years ago

I always make a point to express how much I appreciate it since I'm trying to learn as much as I can and pay it forward where I can too. I've offered to mail some beer but have yet to be taken up on it

#15 6 years ago

If you're that curious about updates just send a pm. People have shit to do, and keeping Pinsiders up to date about a repair status may not be high on that list.

#16 6 years ago

When someone help me here on Pinside I ALWAYS say thank you and sometimes I invite them to stop in and play.

#17 6 years ago

I try to help out because it enriches me as well as others in the hobby.
    I expect nothing in return other than a resolution to a particular problem by either myself or someone else.
    I am very happy to just be part of the process and this hobby.

Asking for more doesnt seem to sit right with me at least...

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When I help someone out, I'm definitely looking to at least get fed, but some beer would be really nice.

When I help someone out... I'm definitely looking to at least get beer (but some food would be really nice).

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I never expect anything. I help because I like to.

That's because you are Superman. It's not a fair comparison!

#20 6 years ago

I also like to help because I was brought up that way. You know, Lloyd taught me decades ago

But before you post anything about a garbled DMD please check those ribbon cables

#21 6 years ago

When I help people I at least like to hear how it turned out. It's kind of rude to not even send a follow up message. I do take note of the...um...impolite people when it comes time to offer more help.

#22 6 years ago

As others have said, a helpful answer not only benefits the OP but all those who read your post.

A pinball problem is almost never unique. I have fixed many problems by searching through old posts but I am not going to bring a thread that is years old back from the grave just to say "worked for me". I would not want to clutter up new posts.

So please keep answering questions, not just because it helps the OP but countless other silent searchers.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I always make a point to express how much I appreciate it since I'm trying to learn as much as I can and pay it forward where I can too

This......

Quoted from pinballinreno:

I try to help out because it enriches me as well as others in the hobby.
    I expect nothing in return other than a resolution to a particular problem by either myself or someone else.
    I an very happy to just be part of the process and this hobby.

This....

Quoted from MustangPaul:

When someone help me here on Pinside I ALWAYS say thank you and sometimes I invite them to stop in and play

This... but to be honest.. Paul has in the past extended an invite to play at his place including beer and steak but never offered to put up the cash for fuel or airfare so he does NOT count !!!

Quoted from o-din:

Thata boy !!! hahaha

#24 6 years ago

Glad to see all your posts, buddies.

Hope I have not shocked anybody. It is only a feeling I wanted to share and I thank you for your comments

#25 6 years ago

Oh man, I hope you're not talking about me. I know you have helped me in the past and I certainly appreciate it!

As I'm fairly new to the hobby I find it difficult to isolate issues and often get side tracked. So again, if I left you hanging, no disrespect meant.

On the swing side, what little direction I can give I give freely, just happy to help someone else get up and running. If can help solve any issue or get one step closer that makes me feel good. I get you though, a thanks goes a long way.

Funny you write this as I recently was going through pms and forgot to reply to someone from a month ago! I made sure to reply with apologies

#26 6 years ago

I also hate that, it happens offline too. I'm now somewhat known locally as "the pinball guy", and I occasionally get unsolicited emails and phone calls from complete strangers with dead machines of all kinds (incl EM, bowlers, arcades, pachinko, etc) that want help. I'll try to help them, or point them to a resource to get them started helping themselves, and often never get any feedback from them again. In some cases I've followed up with them and they haven't made any attempts on their own. I think many people just don't want to try to deal with it themselves whether they don't think they're capable or just don't want to, so they put it off til later and never get back to it.

Don't get discouraged though, every once in a while you help someone troubleshoot something successfully, and they are also responsive, and you make a new pinball friend.

#27 6 years ago

I know what you are saying. I could point to several threads where there was a problem and various people gave the OP things to try. It went back and forth as the OP tried some things that didn't work, but then after some progress some advice was posted that I think had a really good chance of fixing it.

And, nothing ever comes back....

So you don't know what the heck happened. Did they give up on it? Did they run out of time, or patience? Or, did they actually fix it?

If they did fix it, that would be great. But it would be nice to come back with a short post - "Hey, it worked!"

Its really just for my curiosity more than anything else.

And just to balance that, there have been some threads where the OP has come back and said - "hey everyone, your advice worked! The machine is up and running. Thanks for you help!" Then you are all like:

baby fist pump fixed it (resized).jpgbaby fist pump fixed it (resized).jpg

#28 6 years ago

I help when I can and I do it when I think I have a reasonable idea- for me, motivation is two fold- I learn as much reading help threads as I contribute and I am trying to pay back some of the help i have received over they years. I am probably not as forum savvy in terms of feedback and up voting etc as I don't look at that stuff for the most part- but I hope I at least do what my Mom always said- and say thank you.

That's payment enough- if a beer shows up some day... that's down right friendly.

#29 6 years ago

It is nice to know your advice was right and also helpful when doing research to know what worked and what did not.

#30 6 years ago

Without pinside, I would not be involved in this avocation. Thank you to all who have helped me keep my machines operatingboer spec. They don't get played much but if there is one thing that puts a thorn in my side is having one of the toys not working right

Thank you pinside members

G

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-feedback-from-the-people-you-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.