(Topic ID: 35449)

Problem Solved! NO FEAR Row 8 Switch Problem: Right Magnet Opto?

By lordnorth

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by lordnorth
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Don't you hate it when you try to help someone out and end up making things worse?

Tried to help out a fellow pinsider by showing him how to adjust the leaf switches on the slingshots. Got them adjusted, but now row 8 switches aren't working right. I don't know how well they were working before -- that may be why I thought the slingshots needed to be adjusted -- but they aren't working at all now.

When I test the switches I get notice that all of the row 8 switches have a ground fault.

I disconnected the white wires from the slingshot switch and all of the other switches on that row - with the exception of the slingshot of course, and the right magnet opto work correctly. When I connect the two wires (but don't connect them to the leaf switch) the test immediately shows a groundfault, then shows that the last switch operated was the opto. (I should have tried connecting just the one power wire to the switch to see what happened, but didn't think about it. Will try this tomorrow.)

So I am thinking that the problem HAS to be with the opto, correct?

Can anyone tell me:

A) Am I on the right track with the diagnosis that the problem is with the opto?
B) If the opto is shorted, is it possible that it is the opto itself, or does it have to be a wire or connector to the opto?
C) How the heck do you get to the back of the playfield to even work on it?

Thanks for your help!!!

Chris

#2 11 years ago

I'd remove the connector at the CPU for that switch line and see if error remains, is you you know it's now a board issue.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

LTG,

If I pull the connector off the pins it comes up with a check fuse error.

I don't see how it can be a board problem. If it was board then nothing on row 8 would work at all, but as I said, if I break the row 8 partway down the chain, the other items on row 8 work properly.

Chris

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from lordnorth:

LTG,

If I pull the connector off the pins it comes up with a check fuse error.

I don't see how it can be a board problem. If it was board then nothing on row 8 would work at all, but as I said, if I break the row 8 partway down the chain, the other items on row 8 work properly.

Chris

Does it say check fuse F114 and F115 ? ( if so I believe you damaged U20 )

LTG : )

#5 11 years ago

LTG,

It does say check fuse F114 and F115. But it ONLY says this when the J209 connector is removed.

When the J209 connector is plugged in it does not have the check fuse error -- just a ground fault error.

When the two white wires are removed from the slingshot leaf switch, the ground fault goes away and everything on Row 8 works correctly with the exception of the Right Magnet Opto and, of course, the slingshot - since it is not connected.

I would buy the U20 if nothing on Row 8 EVER worked.... but the fact that it works as long as one or more of the switches are isolated means that the board is working correctly, doesn't it?

Chris

#6 11 years ago

Chris thanks for posting this on here. Hopefully some fellow pinsiders can help us out. I'll see you tomorrow.

#7 11 years ago

Shot in the dark - check under the right ramp right under the first switch. When the last person shopped it did they crush the ramp and the wires together blue white wire + green blue. I chased a similar problem and this was the problem. I chased it for weeks months years... tech looked at it and found it in 8 seconds.

Working on the back opts is just a pain - I never found a good way to test them with out it being awkward.

#8 11 years ago

U20 drives columns not rows. Row 8 would be driven by U19.

I'd start with a dmm. Check the slingshot to the ground plane. I'd work with the assumption that the row is actually grounded when that wire is attached and go from there.

#9 11 years ago

Thanks markmon... I caught that too, that it should be U19, not U20.

I did try the dmm on it. Looked for continuity between wire 9 on the J209 connector and the ground braid. Tried it at a few different switches and couldn't get continuity -- of course I couldn't reach to the rear opto to try back there, and the resistors might be preventing continuity anyway.

I just feel like it HAS to be a physical ground somewhere, but I can't find it.

Coz, thanks for the heads-up. I will take a look. You say under the first switch.... Do you mean the first switch on the matrix...? The right inlane switch? Or do you mean the first switch the ball trips when it goes up the right ramp?

Thanks for your help guys. Still open to any suggestions!

Chris

#10 11 years ago

The first switch the ball trips when it goes up the right ramp. You will see the wires they are fed under the ramp and got crushed in my game, all sorts of problems with row or column 8.

#11 11 years ago

Thanks coz. Will take a look at that tomorrow. Thanks.

#12 11 years ago

Morning bump.

#13 11 years ago

So you dmm the slingshot leaf switches to ground plane? You could also swap your CPU board with your who dunnit. Just swap the roms and security chip as well and don't pop them in backwards

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from lordnorth:

I disconnected the white wires from the slingshot switch and all of the other switches on that row - with the exception of the slingshot of course, and the right magnet opto work correctly. When I connect the two wires (but don't connect them to the leaf switch) the test immediately shows a groundfault, then shows that the last switch operated was the opto. (I should have tried connecting just the one power wire to the switch to see what happened, but didn't think about it. Will try this tomorrow.)

Everything you've said points towards the opto. Disconnect only the opto wiring and see if the problem goes away. If so, then check the last section of wiring for a short to ground and if that's not it check the opto circuitry.

#15 11 years ago

Okay, it IS an opto problem, (kinda)!

Have it isolated to the 16 optical board. I have continuity between the R8 pin and the ground pin.

So what does this mean? Easiest, I'm sure would be to replace the whole board, but it is $75 and no one seems to have them in stock.

How can I go about figuring what on the board went bad. It might be as simple as replacing one or more of the $1.00 U Chip Quad Comparitors.

Suggestions!!!!!?????

Thanks!
Chris

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from lordnorth:

I have continuity between the R8 pin and the ground pin.

As in J5 pin 8? Did you do the test with the board connectors removed?

If so it looks like 1 of 2 LM339's is bad (I think U3 and U4, but the online schematic is horrible). Test each of the LM339 ouputs (pin 13 on each) to ground (you may have to lift one side of one of the diodes on the output to get a good reading).

Check the diodes while you're at it.

#17 11 years ago

I *think* it is the U5 chip. I tested all of the chips and U1-4 all test the same, but U5 has absolutely no resistance between the ground lug and 4 and ground lug and 7.

Gonna try and de-soldier and install once the kids are in bed. Picked up a socket and a new LM339 at R-Shack tonight.

This is my first attempt at board-work. Wish me luck (Especially since it isn't my board!)....

Chris

#18 11 years ago

Good luck, or have a look at the following and remove luck from the equation.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/tutorials-and-techniques/167-soldering-tutorials

#19 11 years ago

Chris - thanks for your continued efforts on my pin as I really appreciate you helping me out with this. I did locate this board on eBay so if we need to I can purchase this if we decide it's best to go down this route:

ebay.com link: itm

Thanks,
Dave

#20 11 years ago

Well, I am happy to announce that my first board soldiering attempt went well... sort of. Meaning that I didn't make things worse.

Unfortunately, I didn't make them any better.

I removed the U5 LM339, installed a socket and replaced with a new LM339. The problem is exactly the same. I still have a grounded J5 pin 8.

NONE of my diodes test bad. If NONE of my diodes test bad, it HAS to be in one of the other LM339 chips, doesn't it? Is there any way to find out except to take each one off of the board and replace it?

Can anyone suggest any test I can do to isolate this problem?

Driving me insane....

Chris

#21 11 years ago

I have had strange issues with a NF in the past ,, random after 10 minutes or sometime after a couple of days were burning always the same 2 LM339 on 10 opto driver board and the ULN2003 on cpu with one or two grounded rows those issues have stopped only when updated the eprom software , I have not had an option to compare my old version of software level with something because on pinball.com was only latest version ,,but the only thing I can reason is that the software I had was altered somehow pretty rare technical thinking but not impossible so I assume some bugs in older software of No Fear

#22 11 years ago

doctor_pinball

Thank you. That is interesting.

I think my next step will be replacing the LM339s on the Opto board. Can you tell me which two you replaced? I was thinking of starting with U3 and U4 since the seem to be controling the Row 8 optos.

Thanks!
Chris

#23 11 years ago

Big Thank You to Chris for fixing my No Fear game! What turned out to be a day of getting together to share pinball stories and a few games on my pins, ended up into an adventure for Chris and a big learning experience for me. Now I know just enough to begin to be scary with trying some small things out on my own the next time I have an issue. Looking forward to getting together at your place sometime here soon. Thanks a million!

#25 11 years ago

It ended up being a bad LM339 chip on either U3 or U4 (I can't remember which one) on the Opto board. I had a 50/50 shot and just ended up picking the right one the first time (Well second time..).

Learned a lot in the process, mainly that the best way to do de-solder a chip is with a bulb, not with a wick. I nearly burnt up the board (literally) in my attempt to get a chip (the wrong one, ironically) off of the board. Went tonight and bought a bulb and what took me two hours last night, took 15 minutes tonight.

I'm going to share my words of wisdom (in my experience only)....

If you have a problem with a switch or a lamp, don't immediately assume that it is a problem with a chip on the main board. Three times now I have had weird matrix problems - two with lamps, this one with the switch. Each time the immediate suggestions that I got were to replace the chips or other piece on the main board. Each time that would have not solved the problem.

1st lamp problem: Wire connected to wrong lug of lamp - not isolated with the diode
2nd lamp problem: Had a phantom trace in one of my lamp boards - had to scratch it out
Switch problem: A short in a chip on the opto board (granted this one was a chip problem, but not the chip that was suggested I replace.)

Eliminate everything else first, if all else fails, THEN look to your boards -- don't start there.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and support. Sometimes the best part of this forum is bouncing ideas back and forth. Taking the time to think about it while you are writing often solves a lot of problems!

Chris

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from lordnorth:

Learned a lot in the process, mainly that the best way to do de-solder a chip is with a bulb, not with a wick.

And if you have extra cash laying around and may be doing more of this, spend the monies on the Hakko desolderer. What took you 15 minutes will take you literally 2; it's awesome.

AS for the other parts that's a very good point. Thinking chips are bad is the "easiest" route really which is why your/my mind would like to think that has to be the issue. Looked at chips and all sorts of crap on my PM for a looong time. Ended up being crappy grounding issue.

#27 11 years ago

Yeah, that Hakko looks sweet. But I think I will stick with my $12 Radio Shack Special....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Livonia, MI
$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-fear-row-8-switch-problem-right-magnet-opto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.