DSC_2693.JPG
DSC_2690.JPG
DSC_2689.JPG
NFrampfront.JPG
NFrampside.JPG
NFrampover.JPG
NFhabit.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Since there are no more No Fear jump ramps for sale i decided i would try to fix my own.
The magnet area is melted, and the game doesnt play as it should.
So i was thinking on replacing a little part of the base of the ramp. the magnet area. like cutting and glue new acrylic.

now, since the ramp is acrylic, does anybody know how to do it? seems i need these steps:

cutting the ramp - with what?
cutting an acrylic plaque - with what?
molding the plaque - with heat
gluing the acrylic plaque with the ramp - ??? witch glue or with what?

#2 11 years ago

no one??

#3 11 years ago

Hi mate

I have done exactly what you need to do.

I will get some pics and write you up a fix in the next day or so
thats absolutely "bullet proof"

cheers

DR

#4 11 years ago

thnks!! i really need it

#5 11 years ago

Protecting that ramp would be a benefit even for those with nice ramps currently. No one likes plastics destroyed every 200-500 games. I'm interested to hear what you've done Devil rider!

#6 11 years ago

OK lads, here we go

you will need :

1. strip of polished stainless (I used portion of a side rail that was polished & then cut short
for a SAFECRACKER restoration)

2. a "DREMEL" type rotary tool with a "cylindrical" shaped grinding bit with a flat base

3. angle grinder with stainless cutting wheel

a. first polish the stainless portion you want to use (easier on larger piece)

b. use the angle grinder & cut a 150mm length, 30mm in width (check against your ramp)

c. smooth the edges down & make sure they are square

d. using the DREMEL rotary tool with the cylindrical bit, "square off the internal
ramp radius curves against which the stainless strip must rest against so that
the strip will fit snugly in the ramp AND flat against the base*

*mine fits so well that it "snapped" into place and doesnt need any "glue" to hold it
in place but a THIN application of silicone was going to be my choice here

*if you have some nasty bumps in the base of the ramp due to the magnets
melting it, you can grind them down slightly to better accomodate the strip

*patience is the key, working the strip AND the ramp to achieve a snug fit along
the 150mm length to BOTH SIDES of your strip, if the ramp is very irregular you
are better off grinding the strip to fit rather than taking out too much plastic

my ramp melted & sunk in the area immediately in front of the midway "one way gate"
forming a ridge parallel with the gate AND at 90 degree angle across the exist to the
wireform so the ball would get stuck there

as a result I made my "stainless strip" start at the "sunken gate ridge" and run up until just
short of the last magnet and tweaked the gate flap spring to ensure a ball not making it all
the way up & over would get a good kick out on roll back & flow back down the wire form

the attached pictures speak 1000........

result : works awesome, will NEVER break and at best I'm good for 6 "jumps" around the
accelerator loop before it beats me

good luck & careful grinding....you only get one shot

DR

NFhabit.JPGNFhabit.JPG NFrampover.JPGNFrampover.JPG NFrampside.JPGNFrampside.JPG NFrampfront.JPGNFrampfront.JPG

#7 11 years ago

thank you so much devil_rider!

i had a metal plaque on that area (check pics) and i removed it because the ball rarely went up to the loop. this metal plaque was thick and dont know what metal is this.
that is why i thought i needed an acrylic plaque of some sort.
maybe this one i had was too thick?

and with a strip of polished stainless like you used will work? got to try it.
tell me something, shooting the ramp in your machine, does the ball go easily up to the upper loop? DSC_2689.JPGDSC_2689.JPG DSC_2690.JPGDSC_2690.JPG DSC_2693.JPGDSC_2693.JPG

#8 11 years ago

hassanchop, i think that you need a resistent plate that isn't magnetic. Like a strong plastic, kevlar or other kind of material.

The problem on our No Fear is that metalic plate, between the magnet and the ball, conduct the magnetic field and the ball isn't pulled.

Basically, the waves (blue line on image) emitted by the magnets will flow on the metallic plate and in the ball with much less power.

On this 2 youtube video you can see the influence of magnet in the balls.

On these videos if you have a metallic plate (like on our machine) that experience don't work so good.

magnets-wires4.jpgmagnets-wires4.jpg

#9 11 years ago

I've been looking for some material to build my own ramp and i found the polycarbonate.
I think that can be a good choice.

"Polycarbonate is a transparent amorphous polymer which exhibits outstanding physical properties such as outstanding impact resistance (almost unbreakable), heat resistance up to 125°C and excellent clarity, although opaque and translucent grades are also available. Polycarbonate is often used to replace glass or metal in demanding applications when the temperature does not exceed 125°C." Font: http://www.omnexus.com/tc/polycarbonate/index.aspx

The hardest part is how to recreate the ramp and maybe the price.. Maybe someone here allready have done anything like this...

Polycarbonate vs Acrylic Plastic:

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

thank you so much devil_rider!
i had a metal plaque on that area (check pics) and i removed it because the ball rarely went up to the loop. this metal plaque was thick and dont know what metal is this.
that is why i thought i needed an acrylic plaque of some sort.
maybe this one i had was too thick?
and with a strip of polished stainless like you used will work? got to try it.
tell me something, shooting the ramp in your machine, does the ball go easily up to the upper loop?

no worries mate.

your "metal plate" is the problem, both in thickness AND where it starts "mid corner" before
the "mid ramp gate"

the ball will slam into the start of the thick metal and jump up into the back of the gate
and/or rattle to a stop

the ball needs to flow around the corner & into the "back straight" BEFORE it comes into
contact with the metal strip fix, which itself must be like that described in my solution
^^^^^ above

The fix WORKS AWESOME m85.......I dont know where you are going with your suggestions???

so well in fact, that on occasion I have "back handed" the HILL CLIMB RAMP from the left flipper!

follow the 1,2,3 / a.b.c steps to the letter and you will be

DR

#11 11 years ago

thnks guys for all your help.

m85's solution is the same as devil_rider's but with the one difference. instead of using a metal strip as devil_rider's, he is suggesting a polycarbonate strip.

i guess that using a metal or polycarbonate plaque a heat resistant silicone will be needed. i guess that exists:
http://shop.vitcas.com/heat-resistant-silicone-sealant-310ml-vitcas-15-p.asp

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

m85's solution is the same as devil_rider's but with the one difference. instead of using a metal strip as devil_rider's, he is suggesting a polycarbonate strip.

i guess that using a metal or polycarbonate plaque, a heat resistant silicone will be needed. i guess that exists:

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from miglea85:

hassanchop, i think that you need a resistent plate that isn't magnetic. Like a strong plastic, kevlar or other kind of material.
The problem on our No Fear is that metalic plate, between the magnet and the ball, conduct the magnetic field and the ball isn't pulled.
Basically, the waves (blue line on image) emitted by the magnets will flow on the metallic plate and in the ball with much less power.
On this 2 youtube video you can see the influence of magnet in the balls.
» YouTube video
» YouTube video
On these videos if you have a metallic plate (like on our machine) that experience don't work so good.

Attachments magnets-wires4.jpg (17.9 KB, 0 downloads) 1 day old

Great posts, miglea85.

A much better solution.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from devil_rider:

The fix WORKS AWESOME m85.......I dont know where you are going with your suggestions???

so well in fact, that on occasion I have "back handed" the HILL CLIMB RAMP from the left flipper!

follow the 1,2,3 / a.b.c steps to the letter and you will be

I believed that your soluction works awesome.
The soluction that I proposed is to make a new ramp with a good impact and heating resistance too.

Quoted from hassanchop:

i guess that using a metal or polycarbonate plaque a heat resistant silicone will be needed. i guess that exists:

hassanchop, I dont now at all what temperature that magnet go. But "polycarbonate strip" works good at 125ºC and probably its suficient to what we want.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from miglea85:

"polycarbonate strip" works good at 125ºC and probably its suficient to what we want

i bet the temperature on the magnet area never reaches even close to that 125º, so it probably works.

#16 11 years ago

How do you make the ramps so clear?
My ramp is ok minus some cracking over the magnets,
I put a sticker over it and it works ok.
I hunted quite a while for a new ramp but couldn't find one.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

How do you make the ramps so clear?

Flame polishing. Wash to remove all oils and dirt, sand with 600- 1000- 1500 wet sandpaper, propane torch and a careful eye and bingo. new (looking) ramps

1 month later
#18 11 years ago

just putted the strip of polished stainless as devil_rider suggested.
i didnt do anything on the ramp, not even glue or silicone. just putted the strip with a thin and strong double side tape.
it works perfectly

will post pics asap.

thnks again for all your help

#19 11 years ago

When you flame polish ramps, how do you deal with Decals that are on the underneath side of the ramp? Will the flame polish heat / ruin the decal. Decals are hard to find/ replace and scanning them on a flat bed scanner is not practical either because of their location..

#20 11 years ago

i dont know nothing about flame polishing ramps, but by the videos i have seen, the decals have to be all out. or they will burn.
i think the decals are vinyls, witch means they are strong and can be removed easily, then glued back again?

#21 11 years ago

Doesn't hurt the decals, you don't need to flame under the ramps.
You don't get them that hot, you can see the plastic flash as you run the torch over it.
The enemy of good enough is better when flame polishing.
You have to remove almost all if the ball track and grime like Cliffy stated above, anything on the ramp will be flashed into the plastic if you don't.
Flame polish is a final step for clarity, it won't remove the ball track and you will melt the ramp trying.

#22 11 years ago

YIKES!! thanks.. Is it better(for control) to use one of those small hand held solder butane type torches instead of the standard propane torch with trigger/igniter?

1 month later
#23 11 years ago

@devil_rider, could you possibly make me a metal insert for the jump ramp that goes over the magnets.
I would be willing to pay for meterial cost & postage.
Let me know if you can, if you read this post.

#24 11 years ago

Here ya go, this ought to help

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Here ya go, this ought to help
» YouTube video

AHHH The butcher from bakersfield.
I love his vid on how to fix up Translites (Star Trek)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Machine - For Sale
Livonia, MI
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-fear-jump-ramp-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.