DSCN6825 (resized).JPG
detail (resized).jpg
IMG_20200503_130011 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200503_130019 (resized).jpg
9058876_orig (resized).jpg
1919440_orig (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi all,

I have a No Fear and the right flipper is slower to release after the button is held down. To recreate it, I hold both flipper buttons down for 10 seconds. When I release them at the same time the left flipper returns right away but the right flipper stays up/energized for a second or so extra.

It is worse the longer I hold it. If I hold the right flipper button for a second or two, it returns at a normal speed.

Anybody have this problem or know what might be causing it?

#2 4 years ago

Residual magnetism in the right flipper coil stop
Mushroomed plunger in the flipper
dirty nylon sleeve in right coil
worn extension spring

(In general, worn parts cause this)

Sounds like you need to rebuild your flippers. Right flipper on no fear gets a lot more use than the left so wears faster.

#3 4 years ago

Dirt, worn parts, or someone greased some parts that should never be greased. Any one or all of those things could cause your problem.

#4 4 years ago

Rebuild kit it is. Thanks all!

2 months later
#5 4 years ago

Hey everyone,

I did a flipper rebuild on my No Fear but the right flipper still returns to rest slower than the left flipper. Any other ideas about why that is happening? It takes longer, the longer I hold the flipper button down.

#6 4 years ago

Check your flipper button switch. I don't know if it is switches or optos but maybe that part is getting hung up.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Hey everyone,
I did a flipper rebuild on my No Fear but the right flipper still returns to rest slower than the left flipper. Any other ideas about why that is happening? It takes longer, the longer I hold the flipper button down.

Did your rebuild include a new nylon sleeve in the coil? If so, did the old one come out and new one go in easily? If not, then you have a swollen coil that needs to be replaced.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeewiz13:

Check your flipper button switch. I don't know if it is switches or optos but maybe that part is getting hung up.

I'll take a look at them (switches). Thanks.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Did your rebuild include a new nylon sleeve in the coil? If so, did the old one come out and new one go in easily? If not, then you have a swollen coil that needs to be replaced.

I bought new coils, so that shouldn't be it. Thanks.

#10 4 years ago

Make sure you have a slight up-down play on both flippers both at rest and at the end of their travel - makes a huge difference in resistance of the flipper.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Make sure you have a slight up-down play on both flippers both at rest and at the end of their travel - makes a huge difference in resistance of the flipper.

I'll take a look at that too. Wouldn't the slack be consistent at the top and bottom of stroke? If it is not consistent, what would I be replacing or fixing?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

I'll take a look at that too. Wouldn't the slack be consistent at the top and bottom of stroke? If it is not consistent, what would I be replacing or fixing?

For some reason when the flipper pulls in, the spacing is different, probably because of the ability of all the parts to twist slightly.

If one of the flippers is kind of tight at the top, you just redo it with a little more up-down play at the bottom. Someone recommended cutting a credit card into a U shape to make a spacer to make it easier; I usually do it by feel now. It's a pretty common issue when you start to rebuild flippers to think you have enough play based on the at rest position, but then you run into something like you're seeing where the flippers don't return at the same speed, or worse, they don't FLIP at the same speed, in extreme cases.

#13 4 years ago

Does the flipper do the same thing if you manually move it while the machine is powered off? If yes then the issue is mechanical. If no, then the issue is electrical. I'll let more experienced techs chime in if it is electrical... Here are pics of the gap tool that others are mentioning and how to use it. I use a rubber band to hold it on the flipper. You can make one out of an old credit card too.

9058876_orig (resized).jpg9058876_orig (resized).jpg

1919440_orig (resized).jpg1919440_orig (resized).jpg

And here is a great version of Kid9000's complete guide to rebuilding flippers:

http://www.performancepinball.com/rebuilding-flippers.html

4 weeks later
#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Does the flipper do the same thing if you manually move it while the machine is powered off? If yes then the issue is mechanical. If no, then the issue is electrical. I'll let more experienced techs chime in if it is electrical... Here are pics of the gap tool that others are mentioning and how to use it. I use a rubber band to hold it on the flipper. You can make one out of an old credit card too.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
And here is a great version of Kid9000's complete guide to rebuilding flippers:
http://www.performancepinball.com/rebuilding-flippers.html

It seems that it is electrical in nature. I held the flippers up with the power off and they fell back at the same time.

I also checked the opto switches at the flipper buttons and they return at the same time as well.

Where the electric pros at?? Advice is needed!

#15 3 years ago

No Fear should have a round clear plastic disc on the right flipper button to activate the opto which should be mounted lower than normal to avoid getting hit by the shooter plunger. Without that, the switch can get hung up which you will not see with the playfield up. I have seen that disc removed and switch moved more than once.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No Fear should have a round clear plastic disc on the right flipper button to activate the opto which should be mounted lower than normal to avoid getting hit by the shooter plunger. Without that, the switch can get hung up which you will not see with the playfield up. I have seen that disc removed and switch moved more than once.

Thanks. Here's what I have going on at the right button. Am I missing the disc? Does it have a part number?

IMG_20200503_130011 (resized).jpgIMG_20200503_130011 (resized).jpgIMG_20200503_130019 (resized).jpgIMG_20200503_130019 (resized).jpg
#17 3 years ago

Yep, you can see the original screw holes under it. Same as my latest one came and my flipper was sticking too. This disc screws onto the end of the flipper button and you might want to get a new one of those too.

Hope this solves your problem. If you take the apron off, you can see what is happening with the playfield down.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-9366.2

detail (resized).jpgdetail (resized).jpg
#18 3 years ago

The flipper button probably got gummed up and the extra leverage from the disc caused it to stick is probably why it was removed. Now the opto interrupter is probably hitting the shooter.

DSCN6825 (resized).JPGDSCN6825 (resized).JPG
#19 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The flipper button probably got gummed up and the extra leverage from the disc caused it to stick is probably why it was removed. Now the opto interrupter is probably hitting the shooter.[quoted image]

Hot damn! Such a funny thing/part. Thanks for catching it.

#20 3 years ago

I only knew that because my first No Fear had the disc which at the time I had ordered an extra. My latest one it had been removed and I was having a problem similar to yours. I had to replace the button too to get it to work. Just wish I had seen this thread sooner as it looks like you have had some frustration.

I also had an extra long bushing for the jump ramp flipper but it broke and it looks like the only place to get those now is in Europe. It still works though.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I only knew that because my first No Fear had the disc which at the time I had ordered an extra. My latest one it had been removed and I was having a problem similar to yours. I had to replace the button too to get it to work. Just wish I had seen this thread sooner as it looks like you have had some frustration.
I also had an extra long bushing for the jump ramp flipper but it broke and it looks like the only place to get those now is in Europe. It still works though.

Even crazier that the part exists for ONLY this game. That's why I love the Owner Clubs!

No problem. It hasn't been too long. It is great to know what the issue is and that the fix is easy. I appreciate the insight.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

That's why I love the Owner Clubs!

I was a charter member, but lately just play it without too much to add much to the conversation. Although when I had payback time during no limits recently, I wasn't sure I wasn't getting ripped off. Can't be sure. Won't be selling this one. It's therapy.

2 months later
#23 3 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Even crazier that the part exists for ONLY this game.

Two games now.

DSCN7031 (resized).JPGDSCN7031 (resized).JPG
#24 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Two games now. [quoted image]

What?! What the hell game is this?

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

What?! What the hell game is this?

Rick and Morty. I did it. I admit it. lol.

Did you ever get yours fixed? Marco's out of them now, but Pinballlife has them.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Did you ever get yours fixed? Marco's out of them now, but Pinballlife has them.

I haven't gotten the chance to track down a RAM in the wild yet. Jealous.

No, I have been lazy on the fix. I have a few other fixes on different machines and I would like to get it all in a single order.

Thanks for the tip about pinball life.

3 weeks later
#27 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Fixed it is!
IMG_20200731_230339 (resized).jpgIMG_20200731_230339 (resized).jpg
I also had to adjust the flipper board back to it's correct spot since a previous owner installed it higher so it hit the flipper button without the disc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 37.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-fear-flipper-returns-slower-than-the-other?hl=jeewiz13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.