(Topic ID: 285020)

No Fear extra ball button, slingshots & kick back not working after LED installa

By mikespins

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by mikespins
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1d03ba67fc3001517b5a6b7895ad77a34791f884.png (resized).png
20210103_090241 (resized).jpg

#1 11 months ago

Hi all. The extra ball button on my #NF stopped working after installing LED bulbs on the Playfield. I didn't mess with anything near that button, but I did try to take off the launch / no fear button and failed at it, so I stopped. I put the wires back on that button properly and it works fine, and the wires don't seem to be shared with the extra ball button, however, the extra ball button does not work now.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

#2 11 months ago

Maybe a photo of the wiring would help.

How does the existing wiring compare to what the manual says should be there?

#3 11 months ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Maybe a photo of the wiring would help.
How does the existing wiring compare to what the manual says should be there?

The existing wiring wasn't touched, so it is what the manual says it should be. Here is the extra ball button.
20210103_090241 (resized).jpg

#4 11 months ago

All wires on button, bottom left orange/white looks like it needs to be pushed on more? Gotta be something easy.

#5 11 months ago
Quoted from Jrotten:

All wires on button, bottom left orange/white looks like it needs to be pushed on more? Gotta be something easy.

Unfortunately that didn't work. I also tried to jump the wires and it didn't work.

#6 11 months ago

The launch button light uses the same yellow gray wire that the start button and extra ball button lights use. Check to see if the wire connection on the lauch button is good. It may have come loose while you were working on it.

#7 11 months ago
Quoted from mbt:

The launch button light uses the same yellow gray wire that the start button and extra ball button lights use. Check to see if the wire connection on the lauch button is good. It may have come loose while you were working on it.

OK thanks.

It also seems as though the slingshots aren't working now either.

#8 11 months ago
Quoted from mikespins:

OK thanks.
It also seems as though the slingshots aren't working now either.

Fuse or wiring.

#9 11 months ago

Go to settings..c if it is on to have the extra ball for a buy in..

#10 11 months ago
Quoted from Jrotten:

Fuse or wiring.

Any insight on where to start looking? The fuses in the back box seem to be ok.

Quoted from Bongiorno:

Go to settings..c if it is on to have the extra ball for a buy in..

It is.

#11 11 months ago

Did u change bulbs with the game on? If so u blew a fuse check with a meter on the fuse sometimes they look good but there toast..

#12 11 months ago
Quoted from mikespins:

Any insight on where to start looking? The fuses in the back box seem to be ok.

It is.

If fuses look ok doesn’t mean they are good, so game will start, no slingshots or buy in? Check continuity on fuses with a digital multimeter set to ohms or continuity audible. I still think something got knocked loose while you were doing the led conversion, like a wire connector somewhere.

#13 11 months ago
Quoted from Bongiorno:

Did u change bulbs with the game on? If so u blew a fuse check with a meter on the fuse sometimes they look good but there toast..

Yes I did. Ok I will check fuses, thanks.

Quoted from Jrotten:

If fuses look ok doesn’t mean they are good, so game will start, no slingshots or buy in? Check continuity on fuses with a digital multimeter set to ohms or continuity audible. I still think something got knocked loose while you were doing the led conversion, like a wire connector somewhere.

Correct, the game will start but the extra ball button and slingshots are not working. I will check the fuses again.

Thanks.

#14 11 months ago

Led installed in the extra ball switch? Would check the bulb it's self sometimes they are a little large.
Had this issue when LED install you could not get enough depth on push to trigger switch

#15 11 months ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Led installed in the extra ball switch? Would check the bulb it's self sometimes they are a little large.
Had this issue when LED install you could not get enough depth on push to trigger switch

There is no led in the switch.

It seems as though the extra ball light, slingshots and kick back are not working.

#16 11 months ago
Quoted from mikespins:

however, the extra ball button does not work now.

Tests - Switch Edge - push button in. If it doesn't work, but you hear the switch click. Then your changing playfield bulbs may have hurt your CPU.

LTG : )

#17 11 months ago

Go to the matrix . C if they are on the same colum

#18 11 months ago

Yep row 2..

1d03ba67fc3001517b5a6b7895ad77a34791f884.png (resized).png
#19 11 months ago

Colum 2 my bad..

#20 11 months ago

Check for loose wireson all that are not working

#21 11 months ago
Quoted from Bongiorno:

Check for loose wireson all that are not working

Thank you.

#22 11 months ago
Quoted from Bongiorno:

Colum 2 my bad..

Row is right. Columns are up and down, rows go left and right.

LTG : )

#23 11 months ago

Any luck?

#24 11 months ago

So its looking like I fried the ULN2803 array on the CPU board. I am impatiently waiting for the replacements from Marco (and also Amazon - https://amzn.to/3b8pesg) to show up tomorrow!

I will certainly post the results, and I thank you all again for the help.

#25 10 months ago

I'm very happy to say that my NF is fixed! The problem wad the ULN2803, I fried it while swapping the Playfield lights. Thanks again to everyone who helped me out!!

#26 10 months ago

Thanks again for the help mbt!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside