DSCN8456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3054 (resized).jpg
IMG_3055 (resized).jpg
IMG_3065 (resized).jpg
CE86C092-00E7-44FE-AAC0-2D95A74457CF (resized).jpeg
71F05DE9-8E22-41E1-B14B-C11AE9D7DDF1 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2023-09-03 101645 (resized).png
16907318102778490227468765102185 (resized).jpg
There are 1,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 24.
#51 10 years ago

The slings can be brutal in this game as well.

My poor post sleeve next to the sky dive must be thinking WTF dude enough is enough....

#52 10 years ago

I got lucky with NF. I went to a guy's warehouse that was full of beat-up re-imports back in 2000-01 I think... most were trashed with ashtrays actually drilled onto the cabs (lotta Euro bars seemed to like this practice) but there was a gleaming non-faded beautiful NF cab showing in the back. I had never played the game at the time and had only heard *bad* things about it but the owner raved and claimed it was his favorite game for a "fast" session.

I *did* know it was rare to find one with an unfaded cab (actually gleaming - I thought it was decaled) so I figured WTH... $1200 is what I paid back in the day. They were sub-1000 if the cab was faded or the PF worn...

Sure glad I got it - with 8 shooting lanes (9 if you count the skull) it's feast or famine. Awesome flow when you get the feel for the shots but post city when you are off your game... I had a friend over once and the game went into ball search mode since all he hit were posts for about a minute. Maybe it needs a mode based on just hitting posts

Would be awesome if this game ever got some code love as the multiple "wizard modes" are pretty similar... hey they did it for DM...

Anyways I got tired of the stock look so here is my tarted out NF in the blackness of night:

LottaFear.JPGLottaFear.JPG

1 week later
#53 9 years ago

Handing in my resignation papers for the club. Sad to see old Skull leave the house but these things happen. Went to a nice home.

It's been an honor and a privilege serving with you all.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Handing in my resignation papers for the club. Sad to see old Skull leave the house but these things happen. Went to a nice home.
It's been an honor and a privilege serving with you all.

You & your constructive criticism will be missed!

#55 9 years ago

Also a New Zamp Best! 13 Jump ramps made consecutively last night! Ball was a blur!

#56 9 years ago

Went to Allentown Friday and got to play alot of pins for the first time. No Fear is the game I enjoyed the most, and now want one. Awesome game.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from jkroeck25:

Went to Allentown Friday and got to play alot of pins for the first time. No Fear is the game I enjoyed the most, and now want one. Awesome game.

Very fast & fun game. Ritchie is the man

#58 9 years ago

In the club....very good value for a diamond plated WPC era game. It's really funny how everyone says it's either awesomely flowing or brick city...completely agree.

#59 9 years ago

Quick question - just finally picked mine up a month ago. The ramp magnets are the most powerful ones I've seen on any NF. It is so fast that the jump shot is very difficult. But what I noticed is if I don't try the jump and keep hitting the left ramp, I get credit for jumps. I know this works in MB when you have a couple balls going, but didn't realize it would happen with just one.

Does this work for everyone else, or is it possibly because on mine the ball is going so fast that I'm able to hit it up the left ramp during the 'grace' period for jumps and it registers?

#60 9 years ago

Hit 6 consecutive jumps yesterday, my best so far.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

My best is 5 also its about timing

#62 9 years ago

Quoted from Turboderf:

My best is 5 also its about timing

Back in the day, I could get 10 to 15 jumps easy. But with the machine I have now I am lucky to do 5.

You know how they say different machines play differently. That's the only reason I can reckon.

#63 9 years ago

I'm definitely copying your light design...that NF looks awesome.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Ruger:

Quick question - just finally picked mine up a month ago. The ramp magnets are the most powerful ones I've seen on any NF. It is so fast that the jump shot is very difficult. But what I noticed is if I don't try the jump and keep hitting the left ramp, I get credit for jumps. I know this works in MB when you have a couple balls going, but didn't realize it would happen with just one.
Does this work for everyone else, or is it possibly because on mine the ball is going so fast that I'm able to hit it up the left ramp during the 'grace' period for jumps and it registers?

Mine will do this once in a while. If I miss the jump shot & it returns fast enough to the right flipper & I make the left ramp shot it registers as a jump ramp loop.

4 weeks later
#65 9 years ago

Ok i have a no fear and got it to sell later. But now i just can't seem to want to let it go, real nice one too.
You guys missed the coolest feature, what about the way the play field lifts up, the slotted cab?
That is he coolest thing i ever saw that Williams did for pf lift, so smooth.
Why didn't they do this to any others? I've owned all the 90s bally Williams and never seen this
Cab/pf lift slot thing done before. Anybody know what the deal was?

#66 9 years ago

Yeah the build on that pin is top notch.

#67 9 years ago

Started the cleanup of my No Fear last night. Began installing LEDs on the inserts and GI. I have all new ramps to install as well, but really like the way the color bulbs show up on the white inserts.

IMG_1627.JPGIMG_1627.JPG
#68 9 years ago

There is a video of Keith Elwin tearing up NF with a killer score I believe during a 2010 pin brawl tournament in Chicago. Check it out.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

You guys missed the coolest feature, what about the way the play field lifts up, the slotted cab?
That is he coolest thing i ever saw that Williams did for pf lift, so smooth.
Why didn't they do this to any others? I've owned all the 90s bally Williams and never seen this
Cab/pf lift slot thing done before. Anybody know what the deal was?

Tell me more

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

I have noticed this also. I have no idea why they did this on this machine and maybe no others, but it is pretty cool.

#73 9 years ago

I think No Fear will be a keeper for me as well. I really love the speed and flow. I have mine set up a little steep too, somewhere between 7.5-8 degrees according to the bubble lines (I should check that with the digital level).

I think my best consecutive jumps was 8 and I agree it would be nice if it kept track of that.

#74 9 years ago

Does anyone have the one way wire gate that's mounted on the ramp, just below the magnets?

Mine is missing this.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Started the cleanup of my No Fear last night. Began installing LEDs on the inserts and GI. I have all new ramps to install as well, but really like the way the color bulbs show up on the white inserts.

IMG_1627.JPG 337 KB

Looks good. You're going to push me to LED mine too aren't you?

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Does anyone have the one way wire gate that's mounted on the ramp, just below the magnets?

Mine is missing this.

When I installed my new ramp, I checked to see if that was available anywhere, but I couldn't find one. It wasn't too difficult to transfer the old one, but maybe yours got a new ramp and the old gate wasn't installed. I don't know of any vendor that has one.

If the bracket is there and only the wire part is missing, one can easily be fabricated out of a piece of piano wire.

#77 9 years ago

This is how the right flipper is configured on my NF. Anyone else have one like this? I've never seen one like this and it just feels weird.

image-599.jpgimage-599.jpg

#78 9 years ago

This is how the right flipper is configured on my NF. Anyone else have one like this? I've never seen one like this and it just feels weird.

That is the way it is! They have always felt different. But it looks like your plastic disc may be cracked. I believe Marco has them.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-9366.2

#79 9 years ago

Is the left supposed to have the same plastic disc? Because mine doesn't.

#80 9 years ago

Mine never had the disc. Wonder what it was supposed to accomplish.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG
#81 9 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Mine never had the disc. Wonder what it was supposed to accomplish.

Had something to do with interference I believe. But it is only on the right side. I will look at mine later.

Edit- OK I checked it out and it looks like it was there to relocate the flipper switch away from the shooter armature which was too close for comfort.

2 weeks later
#82 9 years ago

Put up a new GC score yesterday. Great game when you really get it it going.

image-248.jpgimage-248.jpg

#83 9 years ago

Put up a new GC score yesterday. Great game when you really get it it going.

Damn, you already beat my top game by 700M+. What have you had it, like a week?

#84 9 years ago

Just over 2 months - picked it up on April 6

#85 9 years ago

Put up a new GC score yesterday. Great game when you really get it it going

Definetlyimage-669.jpgimage-669.jpg

#86 9 years ago

Just over 2 months - picked it up on April 6

Well that makes me feel a little better lol. Nice score still.

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

Definetly

image-669.jpg 156 KB

Nice one!

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

Definetly

image-669.jpg 156 KB

Dang, that must have been one long freakin' game endurance test. Nice job. Did you loop the super jackpot shot on the jump ramp a bunch of times in succesion while in Multi-ball?

#89 9 years ago

Question time:

On my NF, about half the time the ball successfully goes into the skydive (behind the drop target) on the plunge and the other half it just rattles out or misses completely.

What's the best way to adjust it to more consistently hit the skydive on the plunge as it's supposed to?

#90 9 years ago

Question time:
On my NF, about half the time the ball successfully goes into the skydive (behind the drop target) on the plunge and the other half it just rattles out or misses completely.
What's the best way to adjust it to more consistently hit the skydive on the plunge as it's supposed to?

Look at the last post by me in this thread. This is how I ended up solving the problem.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playing-no-fear-after-acdc#post-1313119

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

Look at the last post by me in this thread. This is how I ended up solving the problem.

Ok great, thanks. Looks pretty similar to the adjustment I had to make on Rollergames to get the ball to consistently go up the Wall ramp off the plunge. Must be a Steve Richie thing!

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

That's a good tip. I am getting the same results as K3V and I noticed the very end of that metal guide is indented slightly. Hopefully re-straightening it a little will fix it.

#93 9 years ago

Just found this thread. NF is my favorite game - the only grail I had when I started collecting last year. In college I worked at a bowling alley that had one in '95 and we would play it after closing on a regular basis for hours.

I managed to find an HOU one (first owned by Emmitt Smith, I'm the 3rd owner) which was super nice. It's still original as I just can't bring myself to install even LEDs. I did disable Sammy, because he was so loud and I couldn't figure out how to quiet down the mechanism. Someday soon I'll bring it into the shop and give it another try as well as change out all the rubber as I'm sure all those post sleeves are getting a little hard.

Play Better!

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

That's a good tip. I am getting the same results as K3V and I noticed the very end of that metal guide is indented slightly. Hopefully re-straightening it a little will fix it.

I actually reshaped the entire guide, by flattening the curve in the middle of it. It allows the ball to come out of the shooter lane at a slightly higher arc and hitting the Skydive hole further up along the left metal guide rail, if that is clear.

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Just found this thread. NF is my favorite game - the only grail I had when I started collecting last year. In college I worked at a bowling alley that had one in '95 and we would play it after closing on a regular basis for hours.
I managed to find an HOU one (first owned by Emmitt Smith, I'm the 3rd owner) which was super nice. It's still original as I just can't bring myself to install even LEDs. I did disable Sammy, because he was so loud and I couldn't figure out how to quiet down the mechanism. Someday soon I'll bring it into the shop and give it another try as well as change out all the rubber as I'm sure all those post sleeves are getting a little hard.
Play Better!

Has anyone done anything specific to getting the talking skull mechanism to be quieter? The loud noise seems to be endemic to this mechanism. I have taken mine apart, cleaned it, and even put some teflon oil on all the hinge parts, which helped a little but not by alot.

#96 9 years ago

My NF high score. This pic is taken from my DMD extender that's connected to No Fear:

nfhs1.jpgnfhs1.jpg

nfapron2.jpgnfapron2.jpg

nfapron3.jpgnfapron3.jpg

#97 9 years ago

I got a little better on the high score last night. I got to Meet Your Maker for the first time but I didn't do much with it. I'll have to work on that for next time.
No_Fear_High_Score_20140704.jpgNo_Fear_High_Score_20140704.jpg
Disclaimer: I do have replay set to award an extra ball rather than a credit (not that you don't get a bunch of EBs in this game anyway).

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

I got a little better on the high score last night. I got to Meet Your Maker for the first time but I didn't do much with it. I'll have to work on that for next time.

Disclaimer: I do have replay set to award an extra ball rather than a credit (not that you don't get a bunch of EBs in this game anyway).

That's a really high score! I've gotten to MYM several times but all my scores are in the 3 Billions. I must be doing it wrong!

#99 9 years ago

Well compared to those guys in the videos on the first page of this thread we're all doing it wrong lol. Those high scores around 35 billion are insane. I gotta get my jump ramp dialed in so I can loop it better. I got a couple streaks of 13 and 14 last week but usually anything more than 5 in a row is tough to keep going.

3 weeks later
#100 9 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

I got to Meet Your Maker for the first time but I didn't do much with it. I'll have to work on that for next time.

I finally got to that milestone too last night, but I made the most of it. After owning the game for a year, I finally abandoned a strategy that had worked so well for winning games back in the 90s. I had to. A local boy that is very good with the pins came over and bumped my GC off the game on Saturday. It took him a while, but he succeeded.

So I hunkered down and proceeded to play it the way it was meant to be played. Fast and furious, but controlled. Got some extra balls, but finished off the five basic modes early on. That's where the fun begins. When Meet Your Maker started up I was ready! Everything's lit! Nice. BK2K flashback. I hit everything that was lit and then some! Too much fun.

No Fear has special modes that rock. No use playing it without at least trying getting in some No Limits and Over the Edge. Fear Fest and Meat Your Maker take this game over the top.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Livonia, MI
$ 37.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

There are 1,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-fear-club-play-better/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.