Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by PinballManiac40
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

34373127-5EDF-4AA7-B9A7-F9C3D6ADFCB6 (resized).jpeg
AB781309-F8C3-4B8D-97BA-8E42346E3C3B (resized).jpeg

#1 6 months ago

Working on a No Fear that will not read ball 3 in the ball trough.
All other optos in the trough test good.
I have already replaced the emitter and the receiver on both boards but no luck.
I have tested continuity on both boards and everything is connected nicely all the way out to the wire harness.
Any ideas what to check next?

#2 6 months ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Any ideas what to check next?

Switch matrix - wire off a switch somewhere ?

Opto driver board ?

LTG : )

#3 6 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Switch matrix - wire off a switch somewhere ?
Opto driver board ?

Funny I just traced down a switch matrix issue that was in the column directly next to this one. Turned out it was a bad u20 IC chip.
I will look into the matrix for this one, but odds are it will be somewhere on the opto driver board which I forgot even existed.

#4 6 months ago

Here is my switch matrix for no fear.
My issue is with #34
On row 4 and column 3.
All trough optos in Column 3 are working great except this one.
On my row I just have the plumb bob tilt and two left ramp switches which I believe are working fine to check.
Hopefully it is the plumb bob tilt or something will need to jump out at me in the opto board.

AB781309-F8C3-4B8D-97BA-8E42346E3C3B (resized).jpeg
#5 6 months ago
Quoted from Arcade:

On my row I just have the plumb bob tilt and two left ramp switches which I believe are working fine to check.

Check all these switches in that row and on that column. Make sure they are wired correctly to the switch diode and tug on the wires to be sure a wire did not break loose that daisy chained them to the other switches in the row/column.

#6 6 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Check all these switches in that row and on that column. Make sure they are wired correctly to the switch diode and tug on the wires to be sure a wire did not break loose that daisy chained them to the other switches in the row/column.

Just tested and looked at them all.
Well since there are only 3 it was really easy. All the switches in the column are trough optos in the same board and they are working great.
The only other 3 switches are, plumb bob,
Left wire form and left ramp. They are all wired correctly and test great in switch test.
I can’t believe that one of the new optos I installed are bad but maybe that is it.
I can’t find my little opto light test card right now and putting my phone camera on any of them shows nothing.

#7 6 months ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Just tested and looked at them all.
Well since there are only 3 it was really easy. All the switches in the column are trough optos in the same board and they are working great.
The only other 3 switches are, plumb bob,
Left wire form and left ramp. They are all wired correctly and test great in switch test.
I can’t believe that one of the new optos I installed are bad but maybe that is it.
I can’t find my little opto light test card right now and putting my phone camera on any of them shows nothing.

You can test the receiver by shining an incandescent lamp at it. This way you can verify if half of the circuit is working. Do you have the correct voltages at the problematic optos?

#8 6 months ago

and you can test the emitter by pointing you phone camera directly straight into its lens, from up close. on your screen you’ll see the center of it glow, if it’s working properly.

#9 6 months ago

I will check those tests out tomorrow.
I can’t imagine the voltage would be off because this opto is in the center of the board and all others are working fine.
I tried the phone trick on the emitters but could not ever see any light on any of the optos. I have a test card someplace and I probably brought it to work. I can look for it in the morning.
Thanks for all the ideas so far.
Little things like this can drive me crazy.

#10 6 months ago

iPhone 6 rear camera doesn't show the infrared light from the transmitter opto but the front facing camera does.

#11 6 months ago

iPhone 6 rear camera doesn't show the infrared light from the transmitter opto but the front facing camera does.

Awesome. That is my issue.
I did know that at one time. Lol.
And of course I have an iPhone 6

#12 6 months ago

Had a second to use the front camera.
I can clearly see a purplish light in all the optos that are working.
However the one that Marco sent me is more clear looking and I can’t tell if it is lit up or not.

34373127-5EDF-4AA7-B9A7-F9C3D6ADFCB6 (resized).jpeg
#13 6 months ago

Different manufacturers make them differently. I normally change all the transmitters in my games as they burn out since they are on all the time while the game is on. Those others do have black spots on them so they will burn out eventually.

If you dont see it on, then it is likely installed backwards. With power off make sure you test to see if there it measures zero ohms across it. If so then you had too much solder flow up the legs and created a solder short under the part.

#14 6 months ago

Different manufacturers make them differently. I normally change all the transmitters in my games as they burn out since they are on all the time while the game is on. Those others do have black spots on them so they will burn out eventually.
If you dont see it on, then it is likely installed backwards. With power off make sure you test to see if there it measures zero ohms across it. If so then you had too much solder flow up the legs and created a solder short under the part.

It looks backwards to me. You can see the flat edge of the opto facing upwards whereas the silkscreen on the board indicates it should point downwards.

#15 6 months ago
Quoted from arolden:

It looks backwards to me. You can see the flat edge of the opto facing upwards whereas the silkscreen on the board indicates it should point downwards.

Thanks guys.
I wondered about that for a second, then thought to myself “it’s just a light bulb, can’t be put in backwards”.
Guess I had a 50/50 shot. Lol.
Luckily I have plenty of these on hand now.

#16 6 months ago

The optos have polarity, just like a diode. In backwards, it will not work. Just so happens it sounds like the clear transmitters have the tab marked wrong on the case of the part.

Best to look inside the tranmiterr opto and be sure the internals are turned the same way as the other transmitter optos on the board.

#17 6 months ago

Hmmmmmm. LED. Light-emitting DIODE. Just a light bulb? OK, got it.

#18 6 months ago
Quoted from arolden:

Not all manufacturers put the flat spot or mark on the same side. Some don't even mark them, you need to look inside or put a meter on it.

Easy to turn around and check.

#19 6 months ago

All fixed now.
Opto turned around and all is good.

#20 6 months ago

Awesome. Though you should consider replacing the others as well. I bet two more fail within a year or sooner, depending on how long the game is left on and how much more life is left on them before they burn out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside