(Topic ID: 98048)

No Fear ball accelerator test, how does it work?

By indypinhead

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chet
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I just finished a shop job on a No Fear.

I replaced the 3 magnets used in the ball accelerator.

During the accelerator test, I roll a ball up the ramp, all 3 optos are working, but the magnets don't energize.

Is there a way I can test them?

I'm really not familiar w/ No Fear. I JUST got this machine somewhat up and running.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 9 years ago

I didn't think No Fear had a ball accelerator. Are you thinking of Getaway instead?

#3 9 years ago

No, there are 3 magnets mounted under the big plastic ramp, used to accelerate the ball.

The ramp on my machine was completely trashed...melted, broken.

I've replaced the ramp as well as the 3 magnets.

Just not sure how they're supposed to work.

#4 9 years ago

Google to the rescue!

Basically you just put it into test mode, throw a ball up the ramp and it should detect and then accelerate the ball.

Check page 1-16 of the manual and the top of page 1-17 (for specific button commands)

http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-pinball/N/No_Fear_OPS.pdf

#5 9 years ago

Were the old magnets working before you replaced them? In a properly working NF, anytime a ball makes it to the first opto, the first magnet should be energized, similarly, as the ball passes the second and third optos, those corresponding magnets should energize to pull the ball up the ramp. You ran the switch test to make sure the Optos are working but the magnets don't energize in the magnet test? You can also test each magnet individually. I am assuming you correctly hooked the wires of the magnets up correctly? How about a blown fuse? Melted ramps are caused by the magnets overheating and or locking on, a common problem with NF, especially in the original game software. The newer software corrected the problem. I would also check the board for possibly bad driver transistors.

#6 9 years ago

The original magnets didn't work...as far as I know.

The magnet wiring had been spliced. They really looked bad as well. That's why I replaced them.

I haven't found any blown fuses. All of the optos have been cleaned and are working in switch test.

Does anyone know, off the top of their head, which transistors drive the magnets?

#7 9 years ago

Are the magnets hacked in any way on the driver board side? Are these driven also by transistors? Are the driving transistors good?

Pretty unfamiliar myself just talking out loud hoping to come up with something.

#8 9 years ago

There doesn't appear to be any hacks on the boards...they look really clean. I haven't pulled the boards yet to look at the back side.

I guess that'll be on my to-do list today.

#9 9 years ago

the ramp has to be lit for the magnets to work. if it is not the ball is denied and sent back. so make sure this feature is lit to make ball accelerate . once again... ball does not always accelerate , ramp has to be lit.

#10 9 years ago

I found the chart showing which transistors drive the magnets.

I'm going to pull the driver board and test them.

#11 9 years ago

I think this will show you your problem. Likely culprit if old magnets looked like crap.

Did you replace any fuses since you got it? Or maybe they replaced them before splicing magnets the first time.

#12 9 years ago

No, I didn't replace any fuses. I did a check on all of them though. All fuses are fine.

#13 9 years ago

Well,

After performing the test, The magnets appear to working properly.

I'm guessing, after a long day of working on the machine, I forgot to close the coin door during my initial magnet test......doh!

#14 9 years ago

Been there, done that. Glad you got your NF working. I am going to tear down my game over the winter. I like it alot. It's my wife and daughter-in-law's favorite game that i have.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Livonia, MI
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
PinSound

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-fear-ball-accelerator-test-how-does-it-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.