No Fear acting crazy, can't find cause :(

By EvanDickson

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

My NF is acting pretty wonky. Some games play fine, some play fine for a while but then wig out, and I can't find a trigger that causes it. Symptoms are general ridiculousness. Music firing that doesn't belong. Multiball starting when balls weren't locked. Extra balls being launched (but not multiball). Occasional firing of magnets when ball is not in accelerator. Occasionally magnets NOT firing when ball IS in accelerator. I can't figure it out.

5v is almost bang on at 4.99V. Magnets all read at 5 ohm resistance (pinball ninja said one possible issue is magnets burn out and start causing silliness when they short). Switch / solenoid / lamp / flasher tests all seem to be ok.

Anyone seen anything like this and figured it out?

#2 8 years ago

Bad ribbon cable, try reseating them first.

#3 8 years ago

Reseated them and still had crazyness, but did get the top half of my backbox GI in the process (that ribbon cable was loose).
Tried without daughterboard in case it was doing something, had insane-o williams reset issue.
Put daughterboard back, and pressed really really hard on all ribbon cables and played 10ish games without issue.

Looking like it will be ribbon cables. Will have to play for a while more tomorrow to be sure.

Do they fray on the inside? Should I actually replace them? Is there a chance the connectors are bad and would need replacing? Visually, they all look ok.

Thanks!

#4 8 years ago

Start by replacing all the ribbons with new. Then retest. If problem remains then reflow the solder on the connector pins on the back of the board.

#5 8 years ago

ok, will do, thanks!

#6 8 years ago

That little short ribbon cable from WPC to driver board, swap that one around end to end.

#7 8 years ago

Sometimes battery corrosion on CPU board can cause wonky things to happen like voice calls at wrong time, etc. Just check to make sure no indication of it on board.

2 months later
#8 8 years ago

I've replaced the ribbon cables with a new set, they are definitely much more snug, but it's still wonking out sometimes. There is no battery corrosion on the board. I just replaced the battery pack with NVRam, and the behaviour before and after is the same, so I can rule RAM out (if that was ever a potential cause). I have the daughterboard for the power, so power should be clean. What else might cause this? Could a corrupt rom cause it to act up sometimes, but not others? Maybe conditional to a certain sequence of actions on the table or something?

#9 8 years ago

You could try a factory reset. Also, make sure your ribbon cables are oriented correctly. Red stripe on pin one.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from pincredible:

You could try a factory reset.

Thos has worked for me on 2 different occasion with a bally/williams games (jd and bsd) Not sure how or why. Both instances the games were working, but would occasionally act erratic without a known trigger

#11 8 years ago

Just did the factory reset. It's still acting up. Played a couple games, it launched an extra ball into play for no reason, it started modes that shouldn't have started, started a multiball on the 2nd ball lock, and is playing the 'game over' music sometimes during the game. Crazycakes.

#12 8 years ago

You tested all the switches? A few of those things you mention in your last post sound like they could be ball trough related. Perhaps you have more than one issue....

#13 8 years ago

Reseat all of the socketed chips on the CPU (including the ASIC which you will need a PLCC puller for--do not try to do it any other way). Replacing the game ROM's would be a reasonable step.

Check 5 volts at the cpu. You may want to monitor it and see what it is doing during a game where stuff goes wonky. Scope would be best for this, especially if you have a cheaper meter which may not respond quickly enough to voltage drops.

Also a hi-res photo of the lower part of the cpu board would help.

#14 8 years ago

I have had success just by pushing gently on the asic chip, rather than trying to pull it. You can kinda feel it crunching, which is a little unsettling, but it worked

#15 8 years ago

Switch tests seemed ok in past. I'll try reseating, I have a chip puller, and I'll try to find some way to track voltage vs game wigging out. I have a usb scope and software. The trick will be that I have to be playing, recognizing that something wrong just happened, and watching the scope.

I'll do this stuff this week and hope that the reseating fixes things

Thanks!

2 months later
#16 7 years ago

Terry was right here. All it took was to reseat the chips, including the asic. Good as new. Cheap fix!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-fear-acting-crazy-cant-find-cause and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.