Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by sixsixtie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Did a flipper rebuild on POTO tonight. I couldn't help but notice there's no EOS switches. Is this normal? The flippers will get stuck in the up position every so often but hitting the button a few times usually lowers them. The mechanism is super smooth when operated by hand so it's not to do with that and the cabinet leaf switches are good too. But there are no EOS and it feels like that's something the EOS would do. I might be way off base here. Every machine I've ever owned/ helped out with had EOS switches so this is new ground for me. What else should I look at?

#2 7 years ago

The early DE games did not have EOS switches until Jurassic Park. The power 50v is automatically turned down to hold 9v after 40 miliseconds.

Look at the flipper control board, usually in the bottom left of the cabinet.

#3 7 years ago

De was the first to use solid state flippers. Both flippers get stuck in the up position? Sounds like it's electrical, not mechanical. The flipper bats do have a small amount of play right? Was this before, or after the rebuild? If it was one flipper, I would think it's would be a broken, or a shorted diode on the flipper coil. Did you replace the coils during rebuild? Did you do anything with the flipper coils diodes?

If it's both, it could be the tip36 and tip32 transistors on the flipper board. It's located on the lower left side of the cabinet. The board get's damage because of it's location. Re-seating the flipper board connectors wouldn't hurt. If it only happens when you press the flipper button, it could be a bad scr s2800b (silicon controlled rectifier).

A quick swap with a known good flipper board would be the quick and easiest way to go. Or, start component level t/s and swap out known bad, or suspect components. Time consuming, but definitely cheaper.

#5 7 years ago

My Laser War is DE's first game they ever made and it has EOS switches.

They came with the flipper rebuild kit too.

#7 7 years ago

Its not both as in they both do it at the same time. They both have just separately had it happen at different times. This was post rebuild AND I replaced the coils because the other ones were thrashed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 24.00
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 25.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside