Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi, I'm having a strange issue with the displays on a Supersonic I'm getting back up and running.

The game boots (new Alltek) properly, and goes into attract. I am able to start a game. However I have no displays.

There is a new Alltek Driver Board installed as well. As well as a new rectifier board (old one was trash)

Rectifier test points meter out correctly.
TP2 on SDB meters out at ~184 VDC, check.
Displays are all receiving ~172 VDC, check.

All fuses are good (obviously)

Any help on where to start poking would be great. What confuses me is that the displays are receiving the correct voltage.

#2 6 years ago

Oh, and I have already tried unplugging the sound board and no change. Had this issue a few years ago on a Paragon.

#3 6 years ago

12v voltage drop from the driver board to the display is a bit much and might indicate connector issues.

Also check MPU J1. If your display blanking connector pin there is bad that could result in every display being blank.

#4 6 years ago

Yes, I forgot to check J1. I did replace all the connectors, but I will go back over my work.

I suppose it's also possible it could be the square molex connector down the line from that as well? Or does that not pass through there?

#5 6 years ago

Do the displays have the visible keep-alive glow in the bottom right? It shifts to the left on the 6th or seventh flash on boot. Assuming these are original plasma display panels they should have that keep-alive glow if they are powered up.
Also, do they have 5v and ground?

#6 6 years ago

They did have the glow, so I knew they were not totally dead. I also know that one of them is tested and working because i got it to replace one that was missing.

I just went to the game and fired it up, and the displays came on. Did the shift on boot which I'm familiar with.

This definitely leads me to suspect connectors. As I go through the rest of the game and work out bugs I will focus on those.

#7 6 years ago

The display cable harness is a 'Daisy Chain'. A bad wire upstream means all the following displays in the chain will not work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 199.95
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-displays-bally-supersonic?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.