(Topic ID: 290290)

DONE! PICS UP!No catchy thread title this time, just a Funhouse restoration...

By cosmokramer

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

seinfeld-cosmo-kramer.gif
20220123_131923 (resized).jpg
Joker.gif
Resized_20220131_105534 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20220131_105541 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20220131_104344(1) (resized).jpeg
Resized_20220131_104259 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20220131_104029 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20220131_184501 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20220131_184457 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20220131_184458 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20220131_184504 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20220131_105532 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20220131_184524 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20220131_104108 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20220131_184519 (resized).jpeg
There are 611 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.
#501 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

ID and OD Sizes:
[quoted image][quoted image]

I cut off a piece of 3/8" steel pipe of an old 3/8" nipple on my Taxi.

3/8" ID pipe should be 1/2" OD

Go to Ace Hardware and possibly find a bushing that fits over a 3/8" bolt that is 1/2" long and 1/2" wide. Or match up your existing one.

Its just a spacer so, anything will work
pivot bushing (resized).jpgpivot bushing (resized).jpg

They call them spacers at the hardware store:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hillman-3-8-I-D-x-1-2-O-D-x-1-in-Seamless-Steel-Spacer-5-Pack-880417/204726192

1/2" length are hard to come by, so get a 1" cut them down

#502 2 years ago

Ahh ok ....I didnt really notice it was just a bushing.

#503 2 years ago

I sat the bracket on the new style "pivot" bushing and it fits perfect...I'll go that route...no playing with bolts etc...

#504 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I sat the bracket on the new style "pivot" bushing and it fits perfect...I'll go that route...no playing with bolts etc...

Thats what most people do.

But its not original. I just happened to have a few in stock.

But if I didnt, Id just cut of a piece of pipe or trim down some other bushing/spacer..

#505 2 years ago

Fantastic watching this thread. Great to see so much help offered too. cosmokramer it’s really come up nice mate.

#506 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I cut off a piece of 3/8" steel pipe of an old 3/8" nipple on my Taxi.
3/8" ID pipe should be 1/2" OD
Go to Ace Hardware and possibly find a bushing that fits over a 3/8" bolt that is 1/2" long and 1/2" wide. Or match up your existing one.
Its just a spacer so, anything will work
[quoted image]
They call them spacers at the hardware store:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hillman-3-8-I-D-x-1-2-O-D-x-1-in-Seamless-Steel-Spacer-5-Pack-880417/204726192
1/2" are hard to come by, so get a 1" cut them down

That works too. I’m anal about details like that. But happy to cut you off some Cosmo!

#507 2 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Great to see so much help offered too.

This ^^^

Thanks everybody for the offers, a lot of people have pitched in to help along the way with wisdom, parts, and support and I really appreciate everybody's help.

I should have been more specific when I responded to the pivot nut but I was working and made a rushed post.
As pointed out already it is just a bushing, not too hard to come by but if there was a part number for an exact replacement then I thought that would be the easiest way to get a few. Im sure the threaded pivot nut would work fine as well, it could be shortened just a bit and followed with the nut, then it would look just like the bushing.

Anyway, I got excited when I saw all the new posts, I thought maybe the game was done and there was some gameplay video, but it turned out to be just bushing talk..

Package from Marcos arrived today containing the parts ordered Friday, but unfortunately I have no time today to wrap up the playfield

#508 2 years ago

Really thought I would be playing this by now, been down for the last 5 days with the flu and have not stepped foot in my shop...
Hopefully I can get out there tomorrow or Tuesday and get the playfield in the cab for testing.
Ordering blinky lamps today...

#509 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:Ordering blinky lamps today.

Was gonna pull the trigger, but at the last minute I noticed that they had a dimmer version option available.
For anybody who has used the regular bright version, do they look "hot"
I dont want to buy both types to test out if I dont have to...
Trying to avoid hotspots..

Screenshot_20220124-112037_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220124-112037_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#510 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Was gonna pull the trigger, but at the last minute I noticed that they had a dimmer version option available.
[quoted image]

This isn’t Funhouse but it’s cousin. I have the 455 cool white slow blinkers in my Whirlwind and this is what it looks like, not sure if you are familiar with placement but they go across from the top of the storm van, up into the cloud and across to look like lightning.
3178AE51-2FAE-41FC-B88E-68FF75BCD59D (resized).jpeg3178AE51-2FAE-41FC-B88E-68FF75BCD59D (resized).jpeg

#511 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

[quoted image]

Not hot at all. I have them in my TAF and they look fine.

#512 2 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

This isn’t Funhouse but it’s cousin. I have the 455 cool white slow blinkers in my Whirlwind and this is what it looks like, not sure if you are familiar with placement but they go across from the top of the storm van, up into the cloud and across to look like lightning.
[quoted image]

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Not hot at all. I have them in my TAF and they look fine.

Perfect, order placed

#513 2 years ago

Wow, 7 straight days in bed with the flu.
Finally started feeling well enough this evening to spend an hour in the shop.
Installed bushing and ramp diverter, mounted cliffy protectors and check the action.
20220126_180101 (resized).jpg20220126_180101 (resized).jpg
Everything seems to work as it should.
The playfield needs to be cleaned, its covered in plastic bits from drilling ramps, and a little bit of clear coat dust and sawdust. My son should be stopping by tomorrow afternoon to help me put the playfield in the cabinet.

Almost there...

#514 2 years ago

Glad you’re feeling better!

#515 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Wow, 7 straight days in bed with the flu.
Finally started feeling well enough this evening to spend an hour in the shop.
Installed bushing and ramp diverter, mounted cliffy protectors and check the action.
[quoted image]
Everything seems to work as it should.
The playfield needs to be cleaned, its covered in plastic bits from drilling ramps, and a little bit of clear coat dust and sawdust. My son should be stopping by tomorrow afternoon to help me put the playfield in the cabinet.
Almost there...

I love the Modfather Rudy !

It looks way better than the standard plastic. I was on the fence about mine, but when it finally dried and the paint shrank down, it looks amazing under the glass.

Im very happy with it.

#516 2 years ago

Hmmm....
So I attached the pinscore to the speaker panel and got it in place in preparation of installing the playfield into the cabinet. Tried to boot and now this pinscore is not working... same situation as I had with the first display, the green light is lit indicating that it is getting 5v...but nothing on the display, even when depressing the test button...checked and rechecked connectors but no luck. I know it sounds like a bad connection somewhere, but the display is indicating that it has power...
20220127_191530 (resized).jpg20220127_191530 (resized).jpg

Just scratching my head now...

#517 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Just scratching my head now

And were good...
20220127_193534 (resized).jpg20220127_193534 (resized).jpg
I don't want to talk about it...

#519 2 years ago

Yeah Im just gonna blame it on "flu fog" of the brain and leave it at that...

Earlier in this thread I gave my opinion on Rudy 2.0...
Lately I have found myself watching the 2.0 thread with great interest as the gameplay videos should be coming out this weekend. I find my interest beginning to increase as info begins to trickle out...
Still probably not going to go in that direction, but want to keep my options open as I learn more about it.

#520 2 years ago
20220128_161709 (resized).jpg20220128_161709 (resized).jpg
#521 2 years ago

Look at all the shiny metal underneath. Bravo!

#522 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yeah Im just gonna blame it on "flu fog" of the brain and leave it at that...
Earlier in this thread I gave my opinion on Rudy 2.0...
Lately I have found myself watching the 2.0 thread with great interest as the gameplay videos should be coming out this weekend. I find my interest beginning to increase as info begins to trickle out...
Still probably not going to go in that direction, but want to keep my options open as I learn more about it.

Im going with the 2.0 kit but I think Im installing the art-blades and not the backglass.

The CPR is just too beautiful to throw away.

I really like the mini display. It adds claricication to the billboard which is hard to read.

#523 2 years ago

Wrapping up a few loose ends
New bob and wing nut
20220128_191538 (resized).jpg20220128_191538 (resized).jpg
20220128_191933 (resized).jpg20220128_191933 (resized).jpg

Place prop rod
I use a phillips screwdriver and wrap the ground wire tight and straight..
20220128_190134 (resized).jpg20220128_190134 (resized).jpg
This gives me a springy wire
20220128_190153 (resized).jpg20220128_190153 (resized).jpg
And a clean look.
20220128_191136 (resized).jpg20220128_191136 (resized).jpg

#524 2 years ago

Blinkies in... with a little finneggling I was able to use comet 455 in all 7 sockets with no problem

20220128_192603(0) (resized).jpg20220128_192603(0) (resized).jpg
20220128_192659 (resized).jpg20220128_192659 (resized).jpg

#525 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Blinkies in... with a little finneggling I was able to use comet 455 in all 7 sockets with no problem
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Keep track of them for now. If they stop blinking just add a regular LED early in the circuit.

I had mine blinking for a couple days then they got weird.

Took me awhile to see what was happening.

#526 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I find my interest beginning to increase as info begins to trickle out...

Watched the videos this morning...
Im out! Zero interest anymore and I will be keeping my game 1.0

#527 2 years ago

Fired Rudy up this morning for the first time since he was put in the cab.
Game lights up nice and pretty, I have not installed the OCD boards yet, waiting until I work out the inevitable bugs first. But it looks good even without them at this point.
I installed 3 brand new balls and hit the flashing start button....

"Pinball missing"

Hmmm....Game goes into ball search mode.

Well that kind of a let down...

Go into switch test and see that the right trough switch is not registering a ball. I push the balls back about 1/4" and the right trough registers. Ok looks like that needs adjusting.

While im holding the ball over just a bit to activate the switch, I hit the start button again.
A game starts, but no ball is served into the shooter lane...
I reach through the coin door and manually pop a ball into the lane with the ejector and close the coin door. I have not put in the shooter rods yet (more on that later) so I just flick the ball up the shooter lane into play.
And im playing!
Flashers flashing, rudy moving and talking, flippers flipping, hey Im having a great time!
As im batting the ball around with a big grin on my face I notice the slings are not working.
Neither are the pops
Shoot the scoop and the ball ejects no problem.
Trap door works properly, hit a satisfying ramp shot or two, then drain the ball
Music keeps playing, game does not end.

Open the coin door and went into test modes... right trough not registering still, I test the outhole switch, it works with my finger but not with ball.
Both switches need adjusting, both were tested on rotisserie and pick up the ball, but the playfield was at a different angle.
Then went into solenoid test.
Going through the menu, all solenoids worked until I get to pops, those are dead, as are the slings, left side diverter gate, ball server and dummy eject hole.

So thats where im at now, need to adjust a few switches, track down the solenoid issue (all which worked when tested on rotisserie) and install the shooter rods.
After that I should be able to start and play an actual game to look for any other needed adjustments or fixes.

#528 2 years ago

quick manual check...all those are on the same power lug on J-107...got power at the coil?

#529 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

quick manual check...all those are on the same power lug on J-107...got power at the coil?

Ya Im thinking (hoping) its an easy fix, I might have even missed a connector.
Im finishing a few tasks with my wife this morning, then will start addressing the issues.

She did snap this candid photo of me playing the first ball...

Resized_20220129_092935 (resized).jpegResized_20220129_092935 (resized).jpeg
#530 2 years ago

Got the trough and outhole switch adjusted...checked connector at j107 and corresponding fuse (f103)
Tested fuse with multimeter and it was blown...put in new 3amp slo blo fuse and fired it up
Poof, blew fuse...
Time to start troubleshooting

#531 2 years ago

On a side note, I have not messed with the adjustments yet but the speaker set up absolutely kicks ass and is a huge improvement over the stock set up.
I have my other pins on powered subwoofers, but Rudy wont need one, he sounds great!
I highly recommend doing this

loud-music-speakers.gifloud-music-speakers.gif
#532 2 years ago

F103 is for the Rudy head, sol 25-28 eyes etc.

funhouse fuses (resized).jpgfunhouse fuses (resized).jpg

Im surprised it didnt blow on the rotisserie.

Something got pinched/shorted or a connector is on wrong from the playfield installation?

Fish paper under the eye solenoids weak or torn? Eye solenoid grounding out/wired wrong?

Im just spit-balling...

I cant remember, is the jaw motor on this fuse?

Also did you use the corrected parts list for Rudys head? the original manual had the coils wrong.
rudy head parts (resized).jpgrudy head parts (resized).jpg

#533 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

On a side note, I have not messed with the adjustments yet but the speaker set up absolutely kicks ass and is a huge improvement over the stock set up.
I have my other pins on powered subwoofers, but Rudy wont need one, he sounds great!
I highly recommend doing this[quoted image]

Sorry I missed it but what set up did you go with ? I had flipper fedelity or however you spell it and they sounded terrible! Took em out and sent em back!

#534 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Sorry I missed it but what set up did you go with ? I had flipper fedelity or however you spell it and they sounded terrible! Took em out and sent em back!

I bought pinball pro for my funhouse.

They sound great.

I turned the sub all the way down on the cab control.

But i have pinsound running.

#535 2 years ago

Im surprised it didnt blow on the rotisserie

Yeah this is what is surprising...

Both f103 and f104 blew
And im out if 3amp slo blo fuses, gonna try to find some tomorrow and start to troubleshoot.

#536 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-catchy-thread-title-this-time-just-a-funhouse-restoration/page/5#post-6444070

http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_sound_info.html

#537 2 years ago

New shooter rods, housings, sleeves, springs and tips

20220129_194523 (resized).jpg20220129_194523 (resized).jpg
#538 2 years ago

Still on the fence about using these shooter rods, but my wife absolutely loves them. She says its a perfect match to the theme and the cab decals.
Im going to put them on for the time being, but I do have a new set of original style just in case...
20220129_195001 (resized).jpg20220129_195001 (resized).jpg

20220129_200057 (resized).jpg20220129_200057 (resized).jpg
#539 2 years ago

You need to make one of those troubleshooting fuse rigs by soldering a blown fuse to a push button fuse.

#540 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Still on the fence about using these shooter rods, but my wife absolutely loves them. She says its a perfect match to the theme and the cab decals.
Im going to put them on for the time being, but I do have a new set of original style just in case...
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Your gonna need em

#541 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Your gonna need em

I think you might be right...

Im sitting on a pile of 2.5 amp and 4 amp fuses but no 3 amp. Which sucks because I think im pretty much done with the exception of this fuse issue (and a few small decals).
Tomorrow I will get what I need and continue...

#542 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yeah this is what is surprising...
Both f103 and f104 blew
And im out if 3amp slo blo fuses, gonna try to find some tomorrow and start to troubleshoot.

I think its something in the head or jaw motor.

#543 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Watched the videos this morning...
Im out! Zero interest anymore and I will be keeping my game 1.0

Good decision. The atmosphere is empty...
Rudy sounds like an announcer, and not like the main toy with his own personality.
DMD animations are good, but I can't feel the harmony between sounds, actions, and callouts.

#544 2 years ago

Im gonna rob my DH and WH20 of 3amp fuses so I can do some troubleshooting later this morning.
Since it worked fine on the rotisserie, but not in the game Im wondering if I made an error with the connector locations...this will be the first thing I look at.

#545 2 years ago

I like the idea of 2.0 but not the execution. Like Davi said, there is no harmony. Most important thing in FH is Interaction with Rudy. It seems like that was low on the priority list. I heard original designers spent countless hours getting Rudy's jaw movements and reactions perfect. I believe it. Feel like the 2.0 kit better suited to a b title game. Something like Getaway that has lots of room for improvement and basic theme.

#546 2 years ago

Getaway is already a dmd game.

#547 2 years ago

I think its something in the head or jaw motor.

Fired game up this AM
Loud buzzing sound and sparks in Rudys head
Investigating now.

20220130_084515 (resized).jpg20220130_084515 (resized).jpg
#548 2 years ago

Pulled Rudy assembly and rebooted so I can see whats going on..
Sparks came from ball popper...no obvious shorts so Im going to check to make sure wiring is correct

20220130_085952 (resized).jpg20220130_085952 (resized).jpg
#549 2 years ago

Looks like dummy eject coil is wired backwards...

#550 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Looks like dummy eject coil is wired backwards...

Swapped wires...no more sparks but coil locks on. Possibly fried the transistor?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 29.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 611 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-catchy-thread-title-this-time-just-a-funhouse-restoration/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.