Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by BillZ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hey all....my Gottlieb "Jacks to Open" machine is working fine, except, all the bumpers are not working. For a while, they would "come to life" while I was playing, but the next time I would fire her up they would be dead. Now none of them work at all. All other aspects of the machine are fine. I am an accomplished do-it-yourselfer, but an a real newbie when it comes to pinball repair/diagnostics. Any help appreciated

#2 4 years ago

Which "bumpers" are you talking about?

#3 4 years ago

Oh sorry...the three pop bumpers

#4 4 years ago

Your pop bumper driver boards are probably losing their +5 volts and/or ground circuit from the source at MPU board connector A1J6. Pin 18 (688 wire color) is the +5 volts and pin 9 (333 wire color) is the ground. Either one of those connector pins coming loose or corroded could cause your pop bumper driver boards to go dead. Sometimes connector A1J6 slides part way off the board because it's stretched tightly when the backbox gets folded down and back up again. This connector is in the "corrosion zone" when the battery leaks so always examine both the front and rear of the board in this area for corrosion damage to the connector pins and edge foil fingers.

#5 4 years ago

Bingo! Checked the A1J6 connector....all wires looked OK....just cleaned it up a bit....removed main board to check for issues....again cleaned up a bit. Battery turned out not to be an issue since there was a mod done with wires soldered onto battery connection, and battery hanging loose. put everything back together and all good! Ken, thank you! I knew it would be something simple even I could handle! Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-bumpers-working-jacks-to-open and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.