1C27E944-5353-4875-B481-0F456BE5B1B3 (resized).jpeg
4D2F05AF-6CF3-4061-8C83-02B9542CF80C (resized).jpeg
F2B63559-8313-46A4-9228-38A30AEDB34C (resized).jpeg
8CDD22D8-051E-453F-A72A-244F5B39BEA8 (resized).jpeg
91E89474-A874-4299-9277-E04D991C3BB9 (resized).jpeg
A0317D23-BED5-4896-8152-0A3DD2EC0523 (resized).jpeg
238F6445-7B23-4486-987B-22D6EB95C282 (resized).jpeg
D5F3CCA1-BDFE-4466-B439-0685662E62E9 (resized).jpeg
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

already sent Steve 2 emails weeks ago and still waiting for him to send me a quote but I understand he has a day job.

I just received my back glass for Op-pop-pop from BGresto. It did take a while, but was very worth it.

Nice pickup on the Doggies. That’s such a cool game.

#52 6 years ago

The journey back home continues. My wife took over driving for a few hours. On the PA Turnpike now and expect to get home about 2:30 in the am. Crazy.

The closest we got to New York City was driving over the new Tappan Zee bridge and looking down the Hudson River to see the skyline in the distance to the south. Saw the signs for the $5 toll but didn’t see any toll booths. Bridge looked pretty cool lit up at night. Guess Enterprise Rental will be getting our bill for 2 trips

E031383D-72D5-4BEE-BE9C-84C3049F36EE (resized).jpegE031383D-72D5-4BEE-BE9C-84C3049F36EE (resized).jpeg

Here is the bridge on 95 in New Haven, CT last night.

0F4759B5-4FB0-4E02-8E8C-9AF3023050C8 (resized).jpeg0F4759B5-4FB0-4E02-8E8C-9AF3023050C8 (resized).jpeg

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Good lord, driving into Quincy on a weekday morning? That will be the most entertaining part of the story.

Haha. Was not bad at all. Probably a combo of being there before 7am, a lot of people taking vacation this week and the butt-ass cold temps. I did get a few honks trying to find my way back to the interstate driving slow and getting comfortable with the loaded truck. The truck has plates from South Dakota so I didn’t let it bother me.

#54 6 years ago

The toll on the Tappan Zee (and God Bless you for calling it that instead of the Mario Cuomo or New New York bridge) is one way, east bound. You won't be getting any bills

And I'm insanely jealous you found a Cosmos in our neck of the woods. Drive safely

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

amazing trip and thanks for sharing!
Pretty cool to have the 3 (are there only 3?) zipper flipper games.

List of every zipper flipper game made including European and Williams.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?specialty=25&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

#56 6 years ago

great thread and cool looking pins.

anyone know of anything about the orange flipper bats ? I have a couple on my Joust and think they are pretty neat.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

STILL waiting for a reply from BGresto.

I never got a response back when I emailed BGresto looking for cosmos backglass last year. I know this is a part time gig for them but they should at least respond to emails. Even if its just to say they are backed up and not taking new orders.

I found this guy in Europe who has done a Cosmos repro:

http://www.coos.net/bingo_e/backglasses.html

He does an adhesive foil print you stick yourself on a new sheet of glass. He also does a print on glass for a bit more. The foil print looks great installed on glass. I think I recieved it within a week or two after ordering it.

Too bad I didn't read about your trip earlier. I'm only abour 2 miles off of 95 between Boston and Providence. You probably drove within a few minutes from my house. You could have checked out my Cosmos backglass repro in person to see how it looks. Love the art package on Cosmos!

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I never got a response back when I emailed BGresto looking for cosmos backglass last year. I know this is a part time gig for them but they should at least respond to emails. Even if its just to say they are backed up and not taking new orders.
He does an adhesive foil print you stick yourself on a new sheet of glass. He also does a print on glass for a bit more. The foil print looks great installed on glass. I think I recieved it within a week or two after ordering it.
Too bad I didn't read about your trip earlier. I'm only abour 2 miles off of 95 between Boston and Providence. You probably drove within a few minutes from my house. You could have checked out my Cosmos backglass repro in person to see how it looks. Love the art package on Cosmos!

Wow, those mirrored effects are beautiful! And
I guess I’m not the only nut to think about a repo Gay 90s glass — thanks for the source!

#59 6 years ago

Trip has concluded by arriving home safe at 3:15 am. Slight drama as I passed by the lone open gas station coming into town and had to back track to it on fumes after finding the next 5 stations were closed. Total traveled was 1,867 miles and trip length was 45 hours and 9 minutes.

Truck is unloaded and ready to return. Back glasses were always inside the truck and they are safe inside now.

Time for bed. Will post pictures when I get them set up.

Thanks for following along.

Darrin

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Yes, drove up and back on 95 Thursday morning and would have loved to see yours. I read your posts about the foil print and tried to find it on their webpage but did not see it. Seems like I am the 3rd person to inquire Steve about Cosmos and never got a response. He did reply promptly with a quote for Dixieland when I emailed back in June but I did not buy it. Maybe the Cosmos he did gave him fits and he doesn’t want the hassle? Clay is buds with him...maybe I can get him to prod Steve for a reply.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Slowly but surely catching up.
Dogies is another underrated game with its cactus juice bonus.
Games that were lost to time, and now being rediscovered.
Next thing I know, I will have another competitor to find another Joker (Bally, 1968).
I only know of three in the United States.
Let me know if you ever find a Cosmint to go with my Alligator as an export.
BTW, I should have the Bazaar backglass films completed in the next couple of months, the small licensed product run will follow via Shay Group.

Haha. I have no intentions of trying to collect all the zipper games and I am not on the Joker hunt. I am quite full with the task of restoring the titles I have now. I previously owned Medusa and Op-Pop-Pop and there is no other zipper title right now that is a must have. Of course, I will not pass up one that is somewhat local or decently priced. Gold Rush is the game I’d like to find next.

I really tried to like Bazaar but the simple game play and blah playfield art just does not seal the deal for me. Grabbing a beautiful repo bg would be a good compromise.

Keep working on the Zale book. Can’t wait til it is available.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

The toll on the Tappan Zee (and God Bless you for calling it that instead of the Mario Cuomo or New New York bridge) is one way, east bound. You won't be getting any bills
And I'm insanely jealous you found a Cosmos in our neck of the woods. Drive safely

Funny. I just did some research on the TZ bridge and the name change is not very popular. Hopefully it is resolved before the official signs go up. I called it TZ because it is still on the signs.

On our way to Armonk, NY, we saw some amazing estates in the NW corner of CT. The nice gentleman that I purchased the traffic light from said the area is Greenich? and I believed him when he said it was very expensive area.

You never know when or where these old gems will surface and then be willing and able to act. The seller thought I was absolutely nuts to travel to Quincy for Dogies and Cosmos. I did waver several times thinking that maybe they were too rough but countered it with how long the wait could be for the next example to come along. In the end, the cost of the trip was much less than it would cost to ship and it added to the thrill of the hunt and adds another piece of provenance to these games.

#63 6 years ago

Wow, what a great road trip! Interesting about BGResto not responding-and there have been a few threads regarding this. I made an inquiry about a Gottlieb King Pin, Dec 22nd, and he responded 4 days later. Have you received a response yet?

#64 6 years ago

Yes, and it's EZPass or "toll by mail" only in the eastbound direction. I went that way twice since this took effect, and both times I received a late notice, doubling the toll without ever receiving an initial bill. I guess considering that they use this type of extortion to collect a double toll, naming it after our esteemed ex-governor would be appropriate after all.

#65 6 years ago

Crickets from BGresto on 2 emails from me on Cosmos since Nov 22.

Guess I will pursue the other foil vinyl option.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

On our way to Armonk, NY, we saw some amazing estates in the NW corner of CT. The nice gentleman that I purchased the traffic light from said the area is Greenich? and I believed him when he said it was very expensive area.

Greenwich, pronounced "grenich". Yeah, super wealthy town.
Armonk is no slouch either. Many NY Yankees players and ex-players have homes there.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

Haha. Was not bad at all. Probably a combo of being there before 7am, a lot of people taking vacation this week and the butt-ass cold temps. I did get a few honks trying to find my way back to the interstate driving slow and getting comfortable with the loaded truck. The truck has plates from South Dakota so I didn’t let it bother me.

That is great to hear, you certainly timed it right! This whole week has been a pleasure to drive around and get places quicker, lol.

#68 6 years ago

I figured we were close and the gentleman in Armonk confirmed that Chappaqua was just a mile or two away and that he had seen their “infamous” resident out hiking before. Hearing that, I was ready to get away as fast as possible.

#69 6 years ago

I've picked up a couple of pins in Chappaqua, including my second pin ever which was out in the trash!

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

anyone know of anything about the orange flipper bats ? I have a couple on my Joust and think they are pretty neat.

I believe they were factory on a few of the Bally games of that era. FWIW, the ones on your Joust are different than the ones on Cosmos. The ones on Cosmos are the more standard ones with “Flipper” in raised lettering. Joust’s are slightly thinner with no lettering. Someone once told me they were specific to Joust and one other game with that size and orange color variant. I tried to talk Steve Young into doing a run of the standard size in orange plastic, but no dice. Maybe if enough people ask, he’d reconsider. I know I would be in for at least a couple pairs.

#71 6 years ago

As long as we are talking about weird flipper bats, anyone know which games came with the metal 2" bats. I have a set I was thinking about putting in my Cosmos when I get it running and shop it out. I thought the metal ones might look cool in that game.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yes, and it's EZPass or "toll by mail" only in the eastbound direction. I went that way twice since this took effect, and both times I received a late notice, doubling the toll without ever receiving an initial bill. I guess considering that they use this type of extortion to collect a double toll, naming it after our esteemed ex-governor would be appropriate after all.

So, it's not just me. Thieves.

They sub out the contract to a company that I'm sure gets paid a % of what they collect. As corrupt as the red light cameras.

And, do you know, if you're from out of state, they do not apply the EZ Pass discount, but charge full cost.

Thieves.

#73 6 years ago

So, it's not just me. Thieves.
They sub out the contract to a company that I'm sure gets paid a % of what they collect. As corrupt as the red light cameras.
And, do you know, if you're from out of state, they do not apply the EZ Pass discount, but charge full cost.
Thieves.

And the MA TPK is just as bad. Ask 1974DeltaQueen. I've had my share of issues with them too. A 50 cent toll ends up costing 12.00!

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

As long as we are talking about weird flipper bats, anyone know which games came with the metal 2" bats. I have a set I was thinking about putting in my Cosmos when I get it running and shop it out. I thought the metal ones might look cool in that game.

I'm pretty sure only Williams used the 2" metal flippers on some of their games. Has anyone seen a Bally machine with baby blue plastic 2" flippers?

#75 6 years ago

Red light cameras must DIE. Should be illegal and/or require physically manned presence! What is this totalitarian BS?!? Not the future I want to live in.

Vigilantes, arm your paint guns and get busy!

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I am going back and re-reading your posts in the "Show us your EM Pinball Machines!" thread about the Cosmos bg film. Guess this is my only option.

You also mentioned you might do a full restore and maybe re-do the cabinet in the prototype black version. My Cosmos has severe yellowing and I am considering a re-paint and was curios if you or anyone else had done a black scheme.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I'm pretty sure only Williams used the 2" metal flippers on some of their games. Has anyone seen a Bally machine with baby blue plastic 2" flippers?

The Op-Pop-Pop I just sold had the baby blue flipper bats.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Red light cameras must DIE. Should be illegal and/or require physically manned presence! What is this totalitarian BS?!? Not the future I want to live in.
Vigilantes, arm your paint guns and get busy!

Same with photo speed enforcement. How can a vehicle commit an offense? If they can't prove who was driving, they shouldn't be allowed to issue a ticket.
Parking is different. Not a moving violation.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Red light cameras must DIE. Should be illegal and/or require physically manned presence!

Red light cameras serve a purpose. It's all about keeping the roads safe. Intersections are so dangerous that we need a third party to enforce them. It's not about money.
Most tickets are issued to the drivers who don't correctly make a right turn on red. Damn them!

Have never received a "ticket" from this legal scam but hope they disappear because we all know why they are there. Revenue! $$$$$$$$$

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Red light cameras serve a purpose. It's all about keeping the roads safe. Intersections are so dangerous that we need a third party to enforce them. It's not about money.
Most tickets are issued to the drivers who don't correctly make a right turn on red. Damn them!

The last thing they're concerned about is traffic flow, followed by safety. The biggest problem on the roads is drivers who don't keep right, and that's never enforced. I'm all for obeying traffic laws (except for highway speed limits). It's all about money. Photo enforcement is bogus, because the actual violator can't be identified; only a vehicle.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

You enjoyed the meal, admit it, lol.

Hey, you didn't let me in on that when I came up to your place!

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

The Op-Pop-Pop I just sold had the baby blue flipper bats.

I used to have an op pop pop and it had blue flippers as well.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

You also mentioned you might do a full restore and maybe re-do the cabinet in the prototype black version. My Cosmos has severe yellowing and I am considering a re-paint and was curios if you or anyone else had done a black scheme.

I haven't done the black repaint to mine yet but I'm thinking about doing it this spring when it gets warm out again. I've never done homemade stencils before so I'm a little leary about attempting that. I think the black looks great on that game. It would be interesting to know why the prototype cabs were black and the production ones were white.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

DO IT! The prototype paint scheme rocks!

IMG_3228 (resized).JPGIMG_3228 (resized).JPG

IMG_3229 (resized).JPGIMG_3229 (resized).JPG

Quoted from jrpinball:

The last thing they're concerned about is traffic flow, followed by safety. The biggest problem on the roads is drivers who don't keep right, and that's never enforced. I'm all for obeying traffic laws (except for highway speed limits). It's all about money. Photo enforcement is bogus, because the actual violator can't be identified; only a vehicle.

One time I quickly turned right on red without stopping because some crazy guy was near my car. NO ONE else on the roads anywhere at that time of night.

Got a red light camera ticket anyway. EEEEFFFFFF UUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Pretending these cameras are about enforcement and not revenue is naive. There used to be a camera on the Henry Hudson in NYC that would nab 10-15 cars per cycle. Seriously-you could enter in a green, never stop, and still get a ticket. I think they finally had to take it down cuz someone proved it was a scam

#86 6 years ago

I just wanted to chime in regarding Coos' backglass "foil". I am a picky artist, I've purchased a replacement "foil" from him, and was very pleased. Easy to install, great looking image, and very well registered tar coat. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

The only drawback is that if you NEED mirroring, you can't get it in the US. That particular process involves doing some black magic to the actual sheet of glass and (if I recall correctly) he won't ship sheets of glass internationally.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I just wanted to chime in regarding Coos' backglass "foil". I am a picky artist, I've purchased a replacement "foil" from him, and was very pleased. Easy to install, great looking image, and very well registered tar coat. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
The only drawback is that if you NEED mirroring, you can't get it in the US. That particular process involves doing some black magic to the actual sheet of glass and (if I recall correctly) he won't ship sheets of glass internationally.

I've been chatting with Docquest and he purchased the Cosmos film from Coos and posted his results in the "Show Us Your EM's" thread. The cost with shipping is about $ 252 US and could have it in about 2 weeks. Factoring in the cost of a new piece of glass, it will be about the same as BGresto. Even though it is DIY, what other option is there when I seem to be the 3rd person to get crickets from BGresto on this title? Its not like he totally blew me off...he did send me a quote for Dixieland. Guess you are only allowed 1 quote and if no purchase, you get relegated to a tire kicker. Oh well. His loss.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

DO IT! The prototype paint scheme rocks!

I really want to but I get easily distracted and there is a lot of time between now and decent outdoor weather To do it right, I would like to get some more pictures from Robot to see the white "starfield" splatter detail used on the black. His looks to be original. Has anyone else done this as a re-stencil? I assume the black with the white splatter is the base coat with the white and blue being the stencil layers? Fortunately I have artwork to trace to make the stencils and only have to match the blue. If I do it, it will be a rattle can job and I will document it here.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

I've been chatting with Docquest and he purchased the Cosmos film from Coos and posted his results in the "Show Us Your EM's" thread. The cost with shipping is about $ 252 US and could have it in about 2 weeks. Factoring in the cost of a new piece of glass, it will be about the same as BGresto. Even though it is DIY, what other option is there when I seem to be the 3rd person to get crickets from BGresto on this title? Its not like he totally blew me off...he did send me a quote for Dixieland. Guess you are only allowed 1 quote and if no purchase, you get relegated to a tire kicker. Oh well. His loss.

Jeesh...quoting myself
My email to Coos didn't send until this morning and it only took him 2.5 hours to reply with a price request for the Cosmos film. Guess I will be going that route. Here is the before and after picture from Docquest.

docquest coos film (resized).jpgdocquest coos film (resized).jpg

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

The biggest problem on the roads is drivers who don't keep right, and that's never enforced.

Yeah, the left lane is not the KOA (Campgrounds of America) and flashing the high beams never works either. Short of laser beams, rockets, or a little robot you can deploy to roll under their car and set off an explosion like Gene Simmons character Luther used in the 1984 movie Runaway (check it out for a HOT Kirstie Alley), I just blast around them. Just have to watch out for the ones that decide to move over when blasting past.

#91 6 years ago

Funny you stayed in West Greenwich RI; there’s a private pinball club there in a nondescript strip mall; about 40 games, tons of fun.

1 week later
#92 6 years ago

Great story, congratulations from a german collector.
It's very very hard to find a COSMOS with a good Backglass, therefore their cabinet-colours have better quality, also the cabinet-frame.
A large percentage of DOGIES have a repainted cabinet and this sort of rusty frame but better Backglasses.
Both machines were great successes over here and it's not hard to find them.
Jerry K Kelley designed COSMOS to be the first black pinball-machine but the Bally-management refused. It took 10 years until Williams did it with FLASH and everyone knows that it was a good idea and set standards.

#93 6 years ago

Great road trip Ballypin maybe you can pick one up in Florida or California next during the winter?

9 months later
#94 5 years ago

Resurrecting an older thread as I picked up a Cosmint and Joust recently. Both are great games...however my backglass is toast on both. Going to look into that foil..... everything in my Cosmint suggests it's really a Cosmos....is there any real way to tell?

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from ejacques:

Resurrecting an older thread as I picked up a Cosmint and Joust recently. Both are great games...however my backglass is toast on both. Going to look into that foil..... everything in my Cosmint suggests it's really a Cosmos....is there any real way to tell?

To the best of our knowledge, Bally simply placed Cosmint backglasses on Cosmos machines before exporting them to Switzerland. Check if your cabinet serial number falls in the Cosmos range of 1001 to 3160. See here for other serial numbers for Cosmint:

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4981

http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=4981

If you can make a nice, legible close-up of your serial number, you or I can place it on the IPSND.net to identify it as a surviving Cosmint.

Thank you,

Jay
IPDB

#96 5 years ago

Missed this topic thread first time around,
glad i caught it this time!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-bimbos-in-boston-a-bally-zipper-flipper-road-trip-diary/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.