• Latest reply 8 years ago by vindic8r
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0488.jpg
IMG_0489.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vindic8r.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Fired up a new acquisition - a Stern IJ, only to find the audio completely missing, in addition to a number of lamps that will need replacing, per usual.

I can't figure out what's going on here. No errors are coming up in Diagnostics that indicate what the issue might be. The wiring seems fine on visual inspection, although I haven't traced it completely. Any suggestions as to what I might check to try and diagnose this?

Perhaps unrelated, perhaps not - but there are a couple of wires under the plunger that appear to be inappropriately disconnected.
IMG_0489.JPGIMG_0489.JPG
They are clearly different colors (GRN-BRN and GRY-VIO?) so I haven't attempted to connect them together. Some reference photos are attached.

Any ideas as to what's causing the audio issue? Or what I should do with these loose wires?

IMG_0488.jpgIMG_0488.jpg

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Mrjamma:

Does the volume control in the door raise and lower the volume indicator on the DMD display?
Check connectors on the main board and see if anything is not plugged in.
Use manual as reference as to what plugs are involved in the audio.

Thanks for the tips! Yes, the volume buttons bring up the volume indicator on the DMD. Maximum setting still produces no audio, though. Let me take another look at the CPU/Audio board again and see if I see anything. I didn't when I went over it last night, but I could have missed something.

Quoted from wellarmed:

I have had the same issue with an Avatar, it was U16 on the CPU/Audio board.
Put in an another board from a pin you have to check whether it is the board or not.

Alas, this is my only Stern pin. So I don't have any working boards to swap in for testing.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

I have had the same issue with an Avatar, it was U16 on the CPU/Audio board.
Put in an another board from a pin you have to check whether it is the board or not.

I checked connectivity on all of the speaker lines and they are sound, going all the way from the speakers to J10. Then I tested the voltage output on U50 and U51. It was reading 12.7V on P5 and -13V on P3. Those seem within range. Following wellarmed's tip, I then checked voltage on P6 of U16. It was a paltry 3V. It does appear that U16 is faulty, which is the 24Bit Audio DAC. If that went south, I can totally see how the game would go silent.

Sounds like my CPU/Sound board needs to go in for repair. I'm not nearly skilled enough to replace a component the size of U16 on my own.

Those disconnected wires are a red herring, and are probably causing minor mischief that I haven't played/troubleshot the game long enough to discover.

2 months later
#8 8 years ago

FWIW - This was the 24bit Audio DAC chip at U16. That was replaced and the audio on this game works fine now. But now I have a far more troubling issue with some damage to the playfield around the Ark...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Plainfield, IL
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 39.95
Hardware
RavSpec

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vindic8r.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-audio-on-indiana-jones-stern?tu=vindic8r and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.