Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I have been involved in a 24 month battle and I have to push the red button. I have no choice but to sell my collection to Pat divorce attorneys. My wife used Covid and lies to gain my children unofficial custody as there is no custody agreement bc I am a fool and trusted her.

Brand new less than 100 plays Guns

Earthshaker w/building mod

Capt card

BSD

Bride

Grand Lizard

Cyclone

1984 bubble hockey

And about 10 vids.

This is the worst days of my life but

Kids > pins < house

Pm me if any of these titles are what you need

#2 3 years ago

Sorry, no words here are gonna help you. I wish you the best. Better days ahead. Take care.

#3 3 years ago

I'm sorry. I hope your future is better.

LTG : )

#4 3 years ago

Been there brother. Just make sure you are there for the kids. If you think you are having a rough go they are probably suffering 100X worse.

#5 3 years ago

A 24 month battle, holy shite. Like always, only the lawyers come ahead when these drag out, but I assume it was really, really drug out due to Covid excuses. I really feel for you. GLWS

Edit: Been there BTW, but never that long to get a decision.

#6 3 years ago

Had to sell my pins to fund divorce too. Hang in there brother

#7 3 years ago

Is that the blue base super Chexx I need the board from that . Mine works but my score section is fried . Sorry for your bull shit ...

#8 3 years ago

Really sorry mate, this is a very sad story

I’m doing my best to avoid divorce so I can keep a roof over my pins

#9 3 years ago

Sorry to hear man, that really sucks.
    Get it over and done with.
    A collection can be rebuilt later when this is all behind you.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

I have been involved in a 24 month battle and I have to push the red button. I have no choice but to sell my collection to Pat divorce attorneys. My wife used Covid and lies to gain my children unofficial custody as there is no custody agreement bc I am a fool and trusted her.
    Brand new less than 100 plays Guns
    Earthshaker w/building mod
    Capt card
    BSD
    Bride
    Grand Lizard
    Cyclone
    1984 bubble hockey
    And about 10 vids.
    This is the worst days of my life but
    Kids > pins < house
    Pm me if any of these titles are what you need

I feel for you. Women are the rake. My wife (like tonight) can be a HUGE pain...but it's "cheaper to keep her." Waka waka.

In all seriousness...I can see why superman built a fortress of solitude.

I wish you the best.

P.S. I may convince myself I'm interested in BSD and/or GNR. What do you want for them?

#11 3 years ago

With the information provided in the first paragraph I don’t think you’ll have much luck with selling your Bride.

Sorry...trying to lighten the mood for you a little hopefully.

#12 3 years ago

I don't understand why anyone needs to "sell" anything in divorce. I suppose that if the pins were acquired during the marriage, then they are considered as "marital assets", and thus the wife owns 1/2 of them. In such a case, the husband should be able to bid against the wife in paying the marital estate to get to keep the pins.

If cash is needed to pay off the lawyer (or for any other emergent expense), then this is what tapping a retirement account is good for - if the pins were really worth it to the owner. And if the owner hasn't done much in modding or overhauling the pin, and it's a later model, then he could sell now and then buy again when his finances get better. It's a lot different if a lot of work - which doesn't have near the value in the market - has been put into them. Is bankruptcy an option?

Maybe my experience with having the half of my herd that was on the ground floor of my Katrina-flooded home being washed away - and then going through a tenuous bankruptcy (where I had to buy back my herd with exempt assets, albeit at a price of about $50 per pin ) - has made me a bit hard in sympathizing with others' misfortune that could be addressed by simply laying out cash.

Now, as for the issue of the Divorce Industrial Complex, I most certainly sympathize. I think any man going into a marriage should go into it with the expectation that the wife will want to divorce, and plan accordingly - and that marriage should only be done to have kids, as there is no good reason to get married otherwise. I feel the same way about divorce as I do about hurricane floods: one time in a lifetime is enough.

#13 3 years ago

Better days ahead my friend. You are not alone.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampwiz:

I don't understand why anyone needs to "sell" anything in divorce. I suppose that if the pins were acquired during the marriage, then they are considered as "marital assets", and thus the wife owns 1/2 of them. In such a case, the husband should be able to bid against the wife in paying the marital estate to get to keep the pins.
    If cash is needed to pay off the lawyer (or for any other emergent expense), then this is what tapping a retirement account is good for - if the pins were really worth it to the owner. And if the owner hasn't done much in modding or overhauling the pin, and it's a later model, then he could sell now and then buy again when his finances get better. It's a lot different if a lot of work - which doesn't have near the value in the market - has been put into them. Is bankruptcy an option?
    Maybe my experience with having the half of my herd that was on the ground floor of my Katrina-flooded home being washed away - and then going through a tenuous bankruptcy (where I had to buy back my herd with exempt assets, albeit at a price of about $50 per pin ) - has made me a bit hard in sympathizing with others' misfortune that could be addressed by simply laying out cash.
    Now, as for the issue of the Divorce Industrial Complex, I most certainly sympathize. I think any man going into a marriage should go into it with the expectation that the wife will want to divorce, and plan accordingly - and that marriage should only be done to have kids, as there is no good reason to get married otherwise. I feel the same way about divorce as I do about hurricane floods: one time in a lifetime is enough.

ALWAYS GET THE PRENUP.

I got a lot of hate in the other Pinside thread about the guy wanting to spend several thousand on a ring.

Why do that when you have an over 50% chance of getting that ring and ALL YOUR WORLDLY POSSESSIONS stripped from you in 10 years by a cruel divorce attorney and ex-spouse.

One thing I will say. Do your research and make sure your attorney isn’t some scam
    artist.
    Have they ever proven to fight back and win?
    Do they actually fight with your best interest?
    Many of them are in it for the cash and the 2 lawyers from both sides will collude to get the most money out of everyone as possible if they see you as an easy target.

Be careful and good luck! The pins will come back. I bought a game from a guy for his divorce so his ex wouldn’t get it and he didn’t want it back but enjoys the updates as he pursued other passions

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

Keep up the good fight! Your children are worth more than anything else! Keep going, man! Get those kids back! Sell all your pins, fuck it. It's only money and it grows back.

I'm involved in a similar situation: an insane lawsuit from my ex wife. $35,000 in. This, after I spent $55,000 8 years ago to obtain shared 50-50 custody of my daughter, who is now 10.

So: my daughter has lived with me for 8 years, is doing well going back and forth.

Last summer, my ex served me with papers for two lawsuits based on the same argument. The first was an "emergency motion" to obtain custody of my daughter. Her argument? I endangered the child because I continue to see my 55-year old Bank Manager GF of 3 years through COVID.

Our goddamned stupid government had no position on this at the time, so lawsuits have been rampant. Now, of course, the government declines to dictate people's personal lives because how could they forbid people from having relationships for years and years and years? (COVID is an open-ended situation).

The Judge threw out this "emergency motion" and ordered my ex. to pay half my court costs for the emergency motion.

Unfortunately, that was $25,000 extra dollars ago and this has been my bill, since then.

The main case still stands and it is based on the same argument that she lost the emergency motion for. Last July, we said Pretty Please drop your case or we will ask for all legal expenses, moving forward. The witch continued her case, changing the topic from COVID to trying to extort and blackmail me (in writing, to my lawyer) three times threatening to go to the tax people (complete garbage: I'm squeaky clean, tax-wise). Then, it shifts to child support, which is another argument. All under the same umbrella of her court case for COVID.

Luckily, I received a decent inheritance a few years ago and I can absorb the costs.

It is harrowing to receive these bills, though, for a completely BS case that's a moving target.

The basic tenets of the legal system are ok (I realize they help defend our freedoms in a Democracy)...but they really need to create a screening procedure to vet completely stupid, circus-like lawsuits, in advance.

Legal rates are well above loan shark rates. And loan sharking is illegal.

Governments need to step in and regulate these blood sucking lawyers.

#16 3 years ago

If I had the money to buy them from you and then hold them for you at cost, I would.

I'm sorry man.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer67:

Governments need to step in and regulate these blood sucking lawyers

Ummm? You know lawyers are politicians and politicians are lawyers right?

Hey OP! Your priorities are straight. Kids first. Wishing you nothing but good health, mental and physical! PM sent about a few games.

Good luck brother.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

ALWAYS GET THE PRENUP.

This is generally good advice.

I say generally because in the recent years the laws and interpretations of the law are getting more funky. In theory the judge in family court (where you are somehow stripped of rights you’d otherwise see in criminal court) can simply decide to throw out the prenup document if they choose to for no logical reason. Furthermore her and her lawyer can decide to claim it was signed under duress because.....reasons.

Pro tip if children are involved. If she tries to leverage more money in spite of kids or they coach the kids to say things that aren’t true this is technically exploitation of a child which is a crime. Won’t promise it will work though.

#19 3 years ago

I’ll quote something from a guy by the name of Greg Adams.

“Remember gentlemen, odds are she has the divorce planned before she plans the wedding”

This doesn’t imply it’s going to happen but she’s probably sized you up in terms of assets and has weighed out her “what if” options.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer67:

Governments need to step in and regulate these blood sucking lawyers.

Won’t happen. Government wants you to foot the bill for the ex and child support. Otherwise they’re stuck paying and already they are paying so much.

But in terms of lawyer fees and dragging things out yes I agree.

#21 3 years ago

Sorry to hear that. Family first and good luck!

#22 3 years ago

Alway always marry your 2nd wife 1st. Will Say no more.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Won’t happen. Government wants you to foot the bill for the ex and child support. Otherwise they’re stuck paying and already they are paying so much.

Yep...agreed.

That said, from my limited experience Judges DO take arguments as they are presented, based on logic and their own experience and try their very best to make decisions accordingly. And men have traditionally gotten the short end of the stick in Family Law, but from my experience my gender had nothing to do with the Judge's decision...so I would say this has changed, somewhat. Act like a dick and get treated like a dick. Advice for men: get a female lawyer, get out of the way and let your representative do the talking for you.

Another tip to those out there who are getting a divorce or will get a divorce: offer to pay Spousal Support as a LUMP SUM payment and get it over with.

I did this, and it saved me a a load of dough.

#24 3 years ago

I've been there. I feel for you. I had to sell everything I had to pay for everything. It does get better. Mine was 2 years ago and I'm starting to rebuild my gameroom. Material things come and go, make sure your kids are taken care of. They have no idea what all is going on.

#25 3 years ago

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I think you would have better luck selling by placing ads. I would personally feel terrible buying a game knowing these were the circumstances. I'd feel bad making an offer and even worse taking it out of your house

#26 3 years ago

Alternative
    I don't wanna join the army
    Alternative
    I know it's a waste of time
    Alternative
    No alternative is what they say
    Alternative
    The choice is mine

EDIT: thinking Gryzzzz

1 week later
    #27 2 years ago

UPDATE:

Sorry everyone. Right after I posted this my Moms health sent south quick. She is now in the final days of her life, and on hospice at my house. I am overwhelmed and very occupied for the time being. I will return everyone’s emails and reply to posts as soon as she passes and the dust settles. What a Fing year....

#28 2 years ago

I'm sorry you are going through all this.

LTG : (

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-alternative- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.