• 30 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mandelbloom
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I have played NGG only a few times.
I have wached some video's on youtube and it's multiball all the time.
Also on Bowens tutorial it's multiball over and over again.
Is this the only decent strategy on NGG... that looks booring...

#2 2 years ago

you should change the thread name, you put NNG instead of NGG, might get more responses.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

you should change the thread name, you put NNG instead of NGG, might get more responses

I just did!

#4 2 years ago

If you're playing only for score, then MB all day probably is the best strategy. If you're playing for fun, there is a lot to like with NGG.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

If you're playing only for score, then MB all day probably is the best strategy. If you're playing for fun, there is a lot to like with NGG.

Agreed! Fun game, but high scores are with multiball jackpots and super jackpots.

#6 2 years ago

What do you mean by decent strategy?
MB are probably the most straight forward strategy that can net you a good score.
You could also try to get all of the holes completed unlocking the wizard mode where everything is lit and there is opportunity for a lot of points - this of course is many more shots than just getting MB. Other ideas are to jack-up the driving range values with ramp shots and collect (lots of shots)

#7 2 years ago

Any game deconstructed for tournament play will be boring. When I play NGG, it's about playing through the holes of golf, the fun of trying to get hole-in-one from the slam ramp, getting Super Jackpots, hoping to get a mode I like from the spinning wheel, bashing gophers in the face, and enjoying the fun personality and excellent sound design of the game...and most simply, it just feels great to play. Super nice flow and feel.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Is this the only decent strategy on NGG... that looks booring...

NGG is kind of boring after awhile. Thing like the hole in one shot never get boring, but a lot of the rest of it is wasted.
One of the biggest reasons I got it was because it sounded like fun to really work on trying to get a low golf score and progress through the game. In theory that's great, in reality the game doesn't reward you enough for getting fewer strokes, so it kind of becomes pointless on that angle, IMO.
It's a super fun game for beginners, but that's also because it's very spastic and it kind of wears on you. Like the other late WPC games every else aboot it, lights, audio, animations etc are pretty perfect.

Remember a lot of Bowen tutorials are specifically for tournament plays. If you watch Tron he specifically goes for nothing but EOL jackpots, even in MB.

#9 2 years ago

TheLaw, you nailed it. Getting a low golf score, and indeed even progressing through the holes at all, really doesn't matter in the face of the scores you can rack up during a decent multiball. it's a shame, because there are a lot of different modes in there.

I wonder what scoring would look like if the bonuses for holes at the end of the ball were multiplied by ten, and the difference between them increased? in the game, all the holes you've completed are added up at the end of each ball as your bonus. they are worth:

hole in one: 250,000
2 strokes: 125,000
3 strokes: 100,000
4 strokes - 75,000
5 strokes - 50,000
6 strokes - 25,000
7 strokes - 10,000

i would probably change the end of ball bonus values to be something like:

hole in one: 2,500,000
2 strokes: 1,000,000
3 strokes: 750,000
4 strokes - 500,000
5 strokes - 250,000
6 strokes - 100,000
7 strokes - 0

I think this would totally change the game -- instead of just "all multiball all the time", it would make the priority be progressing through the holes with as low a score as possible, with Multiball merely providing a nice boost to your points, instead of making up the lion's share. It would bring large chunks of the game back into strategic play.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I wonder what scoring would look like if the bonuses for holes at the end of the ball were multiplied by ten, and the difference between them increased? in the game, all the holes you've completed are added up at the end of each ball as your bonus.

Calling ChadH! Custom ROM update request! We should start a thread on this, there's plenty of rules & etc. that make No Good Gofers a bad choice for tournament play so there's plenty of reasons to consider updating the code.

I love it, but it is a shame there's no reward for getting fewer strokes. I have a difficult enough time even getting through 9 holes half the time with the Gofers & wheel continually sending me in different directions.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I have a difficult enough time even getting through 9 holes half the time with the Gofers & wheel continually sending me in different directions.

And that's really the only thing that makes it tough to complete holes...random crap getting in the way. That's what makes it good for beginners is all these things happen and all of a sudden it's a cart attack etc etc.

#12 2 years ago

If youre going for score, cart attack over and over. You will realize really quick what you thought was a score before is not at all

#13 2 years ago

Imagine how much better this game would be if Eric from CCC had his way with this game and a PROC!!

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

NGG is kind of boring after awhile.

I say that about anything I do.

#15 2 years ago

I'm a golfer and thought NGG would've been my favorite pin. After a while, it started to wear on me. It's definitely has it's fun moments. The gophers are awesome. Super clever design. Hole in one shot is one of the coolest things in pinball, but hitting it is more random than skill.

Also there's only one 9-hole wizard mode. Finish another 9 and it's the same.

In a larger lineup I'd consider having it again but back then I had 3 pins.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

I say that about anything I do.

Sure, the only diff'rence is how fast...NGG goes quickly.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Sure, the only diff'rence is how fast...NGG goes quickly.

I disagree. Of my pins, NGG is second only to AC/DC for pure fun factor. But then it has qualities that I enjoy most: tremendous flow, fast, frenetic action, and very funny. Something crazy is always going on. Great toys and mechs too. And I could listen to the Zydeco music all day long.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I disagree. Of my pins, NGG is second only to AC/DC for pure fun factor.

Well there you have it, ACDC is around 4th on my non fun list.
Diff'rent strokes (ha!) and all. There's no shortage of people that love NGG to deathl & I wanted to.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well there you have it, ACDC is around 4th on my non fun list.
Diff'rent strokes (ha!) and all. There's no shortage of people that love NGG to deathl & I wanted to.

It went to a good home. I just wish I got to play "Boogie down" mode more often.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

It went to a good home. I just wish I got to play "Boogie down" mode more often.

Yep see Dewey is treating it right!

#21 2 years ago

One Pinsider has done a lot of work on a code update. Seems the project is on hold for now. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ngg-new-rules-new-code#post-1302184

#22 2 years ago

You can add some strategy in by trying to get a good wheel award everytime you hit a hole. It has some great modes, Gofer Dance Party and Pop a Gofer to name a few. Also when you get to the 7th hole you get short circuit which is fun, and the hole in one challenge is a blast!

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

One Pinsider has done a lot of work on a code update. Seems the project is on hold for now. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ngg-new-rules-new-code#post-1302184

That angle is nowhere...been MIA forever.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Any game deconstructed for tournament play will be boring. When I play NGG, it's about playing through the holes of golf, the fun of trying to get hole-in-one from the slam ramp, getting Super Jackpots, hoping to get a mode I like from the spinning wheel, bashing gophers in the face, and enjoying the fun personality and excellent sound design of the game...and most simply, it just feels great to play. Super nice flow and feel.

Couldn't stay away, eh? I knew you'd be back. The siren call of pinside...

It's not just about tournament play... NGG's scoring is completely f*cked, too much emphasis on multiball and not many other ways to score. It's a fun enough game, but needs software fixes for scoring and bugs. Even in friendly competition, it's simply about who does better at (or simply who manages to start) multiball. The game's good enough that I've owned it for 17 years, but could definitely be improved.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Couldn't stay away, eh? I knew you'd be back. The siren call of pinside...
It's not just about tournament play... NGG's scoring is completely f*cked, too much emphasis on multiball and not many other ways to score. It's a fun enough game, but needs software fixes for scoring and bugs. Even in friendly competition, it's simply about who does better at (or simply who manages to start) multiball. The game's good enough that I've owned it for 17 years, but could definitely be improved.

I agree...code needs work, but NGG is still a fun game to play mindlessly. It still has good flow, good humor, and good artwork.

I just wish the code was a bit better for more in-depth play.

#26 2 years ago

So who's got the skills & tools to redo the code, plus the time & motivation & resources to get it done? Do we need to start a kickstarter or some type of escrow account?

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

So who's got the skills & tools to redo the code, plus the time & motivation & resources to get it done? Do we need to start a kickstarter or some type of escrow account?

It would have to go through PPS to allow incorporation of the assets; music, sound effects, call-outs, animations.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

It would have to go through PPS to allow incorporation of the assets; music, sound effects, call-outs, animations.

Yea and if all the animations were changed, colordmd would not work which looks great in this game. But I would love to see some small tweaks to scoring, bugs and maybe a 2nd wizard mode @ 18 holes using the same animations.

#29 2 years ago

After I nailed the hole in one shot six times in a row on one machine, I played another that was missing the sound. Turn the volume all the way down on NGG and you will see what this game really has to offer.

#30 2 years ago

I have a heck of a time hitting the hole in one on mine, it has really strong flippers and it goes flying past the hole

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
€ 40.00
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Boards
PinSound
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside