Nitro Ground Shaker: What's the real value?

(Topic ID: 207297)

Nitro Ground Shaker: What's the real value?

By smileymatthew

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by VDrums2112
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0762 (resized).jpg
IMG_0046 (resized).jpg
IMG_0047 (resized).jpg

#1 6 months ago

Have to chance to pick one up - but pinside has a wimpy value of $800, while BostonPinball Auction average for the last couple of years has it way closer to $1800.

Any thoughts? I personally kind of like the game myself

#2 6 months ago

I have owned 5 or 6 of them over the past 5 years or so. Kind of a long story but I am really into drag racing so I love the backglass but every time I get the machine it just doesn't have the "stay power" to keep long term in the collection.

Condition is key with the "true value" of Nitro. From memory when I sold mine it went something like this: Fair cabinet & playfield with flaking backglass around $800, Decent cabinet & backglass with fair playfield $1100, fair cabinet with very nice playfield and backglass $1300, and the couple others around $1000 in OK but not super nice condition.

In my eyes at $1800 the playfield would have to be near perfect, backglass would also have to be near perfect and paint of cabinet would have to be super nice for me to be even close to that number.

Look closely at backglass for lifting paint just above the lift channel - I have never owner a Nitro without at least a little paint lifting in that area. If playfield is nice then the next thing to consider is the red on the cabinet - that is often very washed out or paint off on that title.

Personally I wouldn't pay $1800 for a nice one but I could see paying $1600 if everything was very nice on that title. For $1800 I would either expect a new CPR playfield installed or a machine near HUO quality.

Just my 2 cents on things!

#3 6 months ago

Personally I think $800 is high for the game. Horrible game play and sounds. The only good thing about the game is the backglass art. Even the playfield art leaves a lot to be desired, again in my opinion. I owned a couple of these within the last ten years I'd say and was disappointed each time. $1800 ??? NO WAY!! $7-$800 from a first time buyer car nut.

John

#4 6 months ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Personally I think $800 is high for the game. Horrible game play and sounds. The only good thing about the game is the backglass art. Even the playfield art leaves a lot to be desired, again in my opinion. I owned a couple of these within the last ten years I'd say and was disappointed each time. $1800 ??? NO WAY!! $7-$800 from a first time buyer car nut.
John

I’ve passed on nice ones at $800. Boston pinball is a poor poor measure of value imo. Playfields are typically blown out and back glasses are peeled but I’ve seen a ton of these. At one point a friend of mine had three or four of them at the same time.

#5 6 months ago

800-1200 depending on condition.

#6 6 months ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

John

John,

I agree 100% as far as playfield art and gameplay and that is why I can never keep that machine around long I just wish the backglass wasn't so darn good. I finally ended up giving up on the idea of keeping the game around and just kept a nice backglass to hang on the wall! It really make me sad game isn't more fun to play because I think the backglass is hands down my favorite pinball backglass.

Part of my love for the backglass is I am a Mopar guy but I also built the first small block Vega on the east coast back in the day. So the Cuda & Vega on that backglass bring back some great memories. And who doesn't love Dave Christensen backglass artwork?

#7 6 months ago

I've been looking for a few years for a wall hanger glass but there hard to come by. If anyone has one let me know.

John

#8 6 months ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I've been looking for a few years for a wall hanger glass but there hard to come by. If anyone has one let me know.
John

John,

I actually had to scrap a beat Nitro to get mine. Thankfully the machine was otherwise too far gone to fix but the backglass was super nice. Playfield & cabinet were both totally trashed so machine was basically more just a complete head then a machine but that was fine with me!

#9 6 months ago

I want a backglass too. Drag racing is in my family history. Sucks the game play isn't there. I've always wanted one but have never played.

#10 6 months ago

I think everyone wants a back glass. The CPR run didn't last long at all.

2 weeks later
#11 5 months ago

I paid $1100 for mine last year, MINT BG, faded cabinet, Good PF, but had mylar all over it in multiple sheets. All original boards, played fine. & I think I slightly overpaid due to fact I REALLY wanted this title...

I put set of CPR plastics & rubbers on it, new targets, bumper caps, LED's & played it all year.

Then bought a CPR PF @ York & installed it in December, polished all the metal etc.

I was concerned how the paint would hold up when removing all the mylar off the original PF, it actually survived quite well with freeze spray, so then I magic erasered it & gave it a good wax & it's a darn nice wall hanger. It's probably too nice to leave on wall, it probably should be in a game.....but I think I will keep it in case any of my friends get one of these & need a real nice original PF, otherwise for the couple hundred $ it is worth, I'll keep using it as art.

I plan on re-painting the cabinet this spring if I ever find time, not working on other machine projects.

As it sits now, it's pretty nice with just faded cabinet.... might be worth $1500-$1700, after cabinet paint, new side rails, new coin door.... maybe $1900. At that point it will be a pretty darn nice amateur restoration.

I see people asking big prices for these lately, but I don't think they are selling for those prices.

Pic of complete game is as I bought it, after the CPR plastics/target/rubber/pop cap upgrade & then a pic of the CPR PF getting populated. I actually don't have a pic of the finished game on my phone.

IMG_0047 (resized).jpg

IMG_0046 (resized).jpg

IMG_0762 (resized).jpg

#12 5 months ago

& I forgot to add.... I bought a CPR BG actually before I bought the machine, thinking I may find one that needs a glass..... But this one end up being perfect, so the CPR is hanging on the wall.......... The quality when sitting next to the original mint glass is striking. The CPR colors are all washed out, ie. the black is not crisp sharp dark black etc. The detail, like in the faces in the crowd etc. are very "cartoonish" & are not nearly as sharp as the original Bally glass. It would be ok, for a game that has no glass, or a real bad glass, but there is no substitute for the real deal. the Back Glass is 90% of the reason to own one of these games, so it's gotta be nice.

IMO this is Christensen's best art. I love all his Backglasses.... but this is by far my favorite.

#13 5 months ago

I'd say $1,200 it defiantly has a cool BG!

#14 5 months ago

$1,800 sounds like too much for me. For a working players condition (which most are of this age) I'd be at $800 - $1,000 at most. Like someone said above, it would have to be nearly perfect to justify $1,800 and that would be a stretch IMO.

-Steve

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Spring , TX
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside