• Latest reply 5 years ago by Sea_Wolf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D229B72E-65CC-4B5E-B87D-023C6171F115 (resized).jpeg
25E5D098-AAAD-4216-B36E-2296C2378E6B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sea_wolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I’ve had this machine for 12 years and amazingly have never had any isssues other than a digit out on the Player 4 score display. Went to start it up a couple of days ago and no sound at all. Checked and cleaned pins and connectors. Any tips on what I can do, or should I just bite the bullet and buy the $120 replacement board on eBay? Thanks.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Anyone adjust the volume control on sound board ? Speaker wires okay ?

Thanks MJW. No one touched the volume control but I never checked the speaker wires. I will as soon as I get home from work. That would be awesome if that’s all it is. Fingers crossed.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

I might have a spare working sound board if you would like me to look. I upgraded to the new sound board a Pinsider sells. Can’t remember his name.

I really appreciate that. I will check the speaker wires but yes, I’d be interested in buying your spare board if it looks like I need it.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Any luck? Let me know and I’ll open the hood to see if board still there. Let me know. If you don’t want a used board I found that Pinsider who makes brand new sound boards. They are $100. I can give you his website name if you need it.

No luck. Speaker wires seem to be intact. Sound board looks new, like it did 12 years ago but I’m not sure what’s going on. Tonight I heard the sound system at times, buzzing and faintly working but never any real change. I’ll mess around with it through the weekend and then make a decision. Let me know how much you want for the used board and thanks.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Brand new board is $100. I have seem rebuilt for $65. I’ll sell this for $40 shipped. Confirmed working but keep in mind it’s original board from approx 1981 .... if you’re keeping game might be best to go new but that’s your decision.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That’s fair. I’ll let you know soon. Thanks for looking.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

The second generation Bally sound board does not have an elaborate test sequence. I'm not sure why there is a button on the board. Fortunately it has been remade by a few vendors so if worse comes to worse it can be replaced.
Things to try include:
*Crank the volume controls back and forth a few times to clean them internally
*Order a cap kit and replace the large caps
*reflow the solder to the connector pins.
*Check the speaker and wiring.

Thanks Big Al. I will check your suggestions when I get home. I know where Buffalo Grove is. A short drive to Bob Chinn’s.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Brand new board is $100. I have seem rebuilt for $65. I’ll sell this for $40 shipped. Confirmed working but keep in mind it’s original board from approx 1981 .... if you’re keeping game might be best to go new but that’s your decision.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I’m probably going to buy your board if I can’t get it working tonight. If you still have it. Let me know how you want to arrange the sale. Thanks

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

No prob. I haven’t put it away . Glad to try and help . I know what it’s like to have a game down. Just pm me if you still want it . We usually do PayPal friends and family.

Yeah and my Bally Eight Ball is down until I solder in a new rectifier board and replace a set of pins and connectors. At least my 2 EMs are up and running smooth. Thanks again.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Oops never mind. I see you have a thread on it.

Yeah, I’m glad to have all the advice. Let you know how it goes.

3 weeks later
#28 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

No prob. I haven’t put it away . Glad to try and help . I know what it’s like to have a game down. Just pm me if you still want it . We usually do PayPal friends and family.

I’ll buy the sound board if you still have it. Replaced the Caps and no results. Just let me know if you still have it. Thanks

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Oh man I was hoping you got if figured out. Ok sure. I need to track down a box. I’ll pm you my email for PayPal.

Yeah, I had spent most of the last 30 days getting the kinks worked out of my Space Mission and Eight Ball So now it’s time to give the NGS some love. I got the 5 capacitor pack from Great Plains Electronics hoping that would do the trick but it didn’t. For $40 bucks, it makes sense to just move on.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Shannyman:

My Bally frontier sound just stopped working. It ended up just a bad speaker. If you have extra speaker just use jumper wires to see if it is the speaker. I got one from Marco for about 9 dollars.

Thanks for that suggestion. Definitely a good idea to eliminate that possibility first.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from pincoin:

Is the sound board still available?

Mine or MJW’s?

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Sea wolf wanted it but hopefully it’s just a bad speaker. If you need one follow the thread and I’ll sell it to you if Sea Wolf doesn’t want .

Thanks MJW. I’ve got an old boombox speaker I’m going to hopefully test to see if my NGS speaker is bad. I’ll do that after work and let you know. If it’s not the speaker then I’ll PayPal you tonight.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Sound board is no longer available.

Sorry about not getting back with you. Had a mini basement flood here due to heavy rains this week and it caused a mess. Luckily all my machines are ok. Thanks for trying to help.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

No problem. That would be my worst nightmare.hopefully I don’t have one tonight about that. Glad no damage to pins !! Was speaker the problem?

Definitely. Had a sump pump lock up in the middle of the night but all is well. Just tested a good working speaker tonight and unfortunately that wasn’t it. My Eight Ball and the NGS are due for some new boards anyway. Just gotta build up the old Pin-fund account. Glad you found someone else who needed your old sound board. Thanks again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sea_wolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nitro-ground-shaker-sound?tu=sea_wolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.