Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Mombo-number-5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D229B72E-65CC-4B5E-B87D-023C6171F115 (resized).jpeg
25E5D098-AAAD-4216-B36E-2296C2378E6B (resized).jpeg

#1 12 days ago

I’ve had this machine for 12 years and amazingly have never had any isssues other than a digit out on the Player 4 score display. Went to start it up a couple of days ago and no sound at all. Checked and cleaned pins and connectors. Any tips on what I can do, or should I just bite the bullet and buy the $120 replacement board on eBay? Thanks.

#2 12 days ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

I’ve had this machine for 12 years and amazingly have never had any isssues other than a digit out on the Player 4 score display. Went to start it up a couple of days ago and no sound at all. Checked and cleaned pins and connectors. Any tips on what I can do, or should I just bite the bullet and buy the $120 replacement board on eBay? Thanks.

Anyone adjust the volume control on sound board ? Speaker wires okay ?

#3 12 days ago

I might have a spare working sound board if you would like me to look. I upgraded to the new sound board a Pinsider sells. Can’t remember his name.

#4 12 days ago
Quoted from MJW:

I might have a spare working sound board if you would like me to look. I upgraded to the new sound board a Pinsider sells. Can’t remember his name.

Probably Pinsider is same guy selling on eBay. Brand new boards. Factory one was working but I wanted all
New boards in backbox.

#5 12 days ago
Quoted from MJW:

Anyone adjust the volume control on sound board ? Speaker wires okay ?

Thanks MJW. No one touched the volume control but I never checked the speaker wires. I will as soon as I get home from work. That would be awesome if that’s all it is. Fingers crossed.

#6 12 days ago
Quoted from MJW:

I really appreciate that. I will check the speaker wires but yes, I’d be interested in buying your spare board if it looks like I need it.

#7 12 days ago

I’ll check to see if I still have it.

#8 11 days ago

Any luck? Let me know and I’ll open the hood to see if board still there. Let me know. If you don’t want a used board I found that Pinsider who makes brand new sound boards. They are $100. I can give you his website name if you need it.

#9 11 days ago
Quoted from MJW:

Any luck? Was unable to get into game tonight. Let me know and I’ll open the hood to see if board still there. If you don’t want a used board I found that Pinsider who makes brand new sound boards. They are $100. I can give you his website name if you need it.

#10 11 days ago
Quoted from MJW:

Any luck? Let me know and I’ll open the hood to see if board still there. Let me know. If you don’t want a used board I found that Pinsider who makes brand new sound boards. They are $100. I can give you his website name if you need it.

No luck. Speaker wires seem to be intact. Sound board looks new, like it did 12 years ago but I’m not sure what’s going on. Tonight I heard the sound system at times, buzzing and faintly working but never any real change. I’ll mess around with it through the weekend and then make a decision. Let me know how much you want for the used board and thanks.

#11 11 days ago

Brand new board is $100. I have seem rebuilt for $65. I’ll sell this for $40 shipped. Confirmed working but keep in mind it’s original board from approx 1981 .... if you’re keeping game might be best to go new but that’s your decision.

25E5D098-AAAD-4216-B36E-2296C2378E6B (resized).jpegD229B72E-65CC-4B5E-B87D-023C6171F115 (resized).jpeg
#12 11 days ago

Are you getting any sounds at all from the speaker? clicks/thuds on powerup?
Have you tried adjusting the volume control inside the front door and also the small trimmer volume control on the sound board - they're known to get dirty and cause loss of sound.

When you press the red self test button on the sound board, does it playback any sound?

#13 11 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Are you getting any sounds at all from the speaker? clicks/thuds on powerup?
Have you tried adjusting the volume control inside the front door and also the small trimmer volume control on the sound board - they're known to get dirty and cause loss of sound.
When you press the red self test button on the sound board, does it playback any sound?

I thought the only volume control was on the sound board ? There is one inside the front door?

#14 11 days ago

I’ve also been told that Bally did not program a sound board self test for NGS.
Don’t know if that’s correct but reliable source. Please let us know if that is not right.

#15 11 days ago
Quoted from MJW:

I thought the only volume control was on the sound board ? There is one inside the front door?

Quoted from MJW:

I’ve also been told that Bally did not program a sound board self test for NGS.

Ah crap, no coin door volume control in the schematics and sound board self test button for Nitro does nothing in PinMAME.
Ignore me..

#16 11 days ago
Quoted from MJW:

Brand new board is $100. I have seem rebuilt for $65. I’ll sell this for $40 shipped. Confirmed working but keep in mind it’s original board from approx 1981 .... if you’re keeping game might be best to go new but that’s your decision.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That’s fair. I’ll let you know soon. Thanks for looking.

#17 11 days ago

The second generation Bally sound board does not have an elaborate test sequence. I'm not sure why there is a button on the board. Fortunately it has been remade by a few vendors so if worse comes to worse it can be replaced.
Things to try include:
*Crank the volume controls back and forth a few times to clean them internally
*Order a cap kit and replace the large caps
*reflow the solder to the connector pins.
*Check the speaker and wiring.

#18 11 days ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

The second generation Bally sound board does not have an elaborate test sequence. I'm not sure why there is a button on the board. Fortunately it has been remade by a few vendors so if worse comes to worse it can be replaced.
Things to try include:

Thanks Big Al. I will check your suggestions when I get home. I know where Buffalo Grove is. A short drive to Bob Chinn’s.

#19 11 days ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Things to try include:

Hope one of these fixes the problem!! I also have an extra working speaker if needed .

#20 7 days ago

We used to have 2 rules:
1. No problem is as difficult as it seems
2. No problem is as easy as it seems.
3. Start with rule 1 then go on to 2.

OK that's 3 rules, my bad.

Yep, Bob Chins is about a 10 minute drive for me. However I spend more money at the Superdog that opened next door.

#21 7 days ago
Quoted from MJW:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I’m probably going to buy your board if I can’t get it working tonight. If you still have it. Let me know how you want to arrange the sale. Thanks

#22 7 days ago

No prob. I haven’t put it away . Glad to try and help . I know what it’s like to have a game down. Just pm me if you still want it . We usually do PayPal friends and family.

#23 7 days ago
Quoted from MJW:

No prob. I haven’t put it away . Glad to try and help . I know what it’s like to have a game down. Just pm me if you still want it . We usually do PayPal friends and family.

Yeah and my Bally Eight Ball is down until I solder in a new rectifier board and replace a set of pins and connectors. At least my 2 EMs are up and running smooth. Thanks again.

#24 6 days ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Yeah and my Bally Eight Ball is down until I solder in a new rectifier board and replace a set of pins and connectors. At least my 2 EMs are up and running smooth. Thanks again.

That’s one board I haven’t replaced.i have the new board already. Looks involved with all the connections. I think I can do it when the time comes . Just take my time. Any tips?

#25 6 days ago
Quoted from MJW:

That’s one board I haven’t replaced.i have the new board already. Looks involved with all the connections. I think I can do it when the time comes . Just take my time. Any tips?

Oops never mind. I see you have a thread on it.

#26 6 days ago
Quoted from MJW:

Oops never mind. I see you have a thread on it.

Yeah, I’m glad to have all the advice. Let you know how it goes.

#27 5 days ago

For what it's worth I second what Big Al said. 8 out of 10 times it's a cap kit being the cure. Great Plains has them back in stock again, but guys like me ran Ed over buying piles of parts after the holidays so he is closed till he gets caught up a bit. Wait for Ed to take orders again, don't pay $20 bucks to the eBay ep-cray.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside