Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5B80FE7C-1DF6-4883-A150-11B2953B9E39 (resized).jpeg
2982531D-4754-417A-99A8-F417D7F54EDC (resized).jpeg
E3C8C6A1-CF7E-4BBB-B69A-E27E3FDA2D4E (resized).jpeg
25DD3C98-83DB-4B47-ABEE-5FFB3AF1BBC8 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

When the target is hit, the relay pulls, but won’t engage the Ball Release, but will eject the Ball when I manually push the relay. Not sure what this could be caused by?

#2 4 years ago

How is your bonus unit? Does it rest in the 1000 or higher position?
Because when you hit that target to release the ball. The sequence is that score motor operates, first the bonus is awarded (but bonus unit doesn't reset), then the ball is ejected from the saucer.

So maybe a false bonus unit position can disturb this?

#3 4 years ago

In your video you show two relays. One activates when you press the lit target and one makes the ball eject. What do the labels call those relays?

#4 4 years ago

Bonus Target is the relay that lights up then when target is hit, it is supposed to engage the Bonus Relay that ejects the Ball.

#5 4 years ago

It could be a contact on your 2nd ball relay too. If that one isn't closed or making contact, and your target is hit.
It doens't activate the sequence for the bonus award and kick out.

Check contacts on 2nd ball relay, the activating relay when you hit the target and the bonus stepper unit.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballGurus:

it is supposed to engage the Special Relay

I don't see a Special Relay on the schematic, do you?

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1680/Bally_1973_Nip_It_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

#8 4 years ago

Sorry it is actually the Bonus Score relay and Bonus Target. I’m looking at the 2nd ball now.

#9 4 years ago

I have the Bonus unit set to off. But I did try manually cycling thru to see if I could get it to kick out, but no luck.

#10 4 years ago

I’m looking at the 2nd ball now.

I have the Bonus unit set to off.

But I did try manually cycling thru to see if I could get it to kick out, but no luck.

Care to explain what you mean?

#11 4 years ago

This doesn’t seem normal now. Ugh.

#12 4 years ago

I actually got the hole eject working by turning the Bonus Unit to a different position. Not sure what this does though? I made a video.

The Bonus Score Relay is doing this now?

#13 4 years ago

Here’s what the Bonus Unit is doing.

#14 4 years ago

Sorry about the confusion. I’ve been working on this thing way too long.

#15 4 years ago

At this point I’m pretty sure you’re right. Any idea what is causing it based on the video above?

Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

How is your bonus unit? Does it rest in the 1000 or higher position?
Because when you hit that target to release the ball. The sequence is that score motor operates, first the bonus is awarded (but bonus unit doesn't reset), then the ball is ejected from the saucer.
So maybe a false bonus unit position can disturb this?

#16 4 years ago
25DD3C98-83DB-4B47-ABEE-5FFB3AF1BBC8 (resized).jpeg25DD3C98-83DB-4B47-ABEE-5FFB3AF1BBC8 (resized).jpegE3C8C6A1-CF7E-4BBB-B69A-E27E3FDA2D4E (resized).jpegE3C8C6A1-CF7E-4BBB-B69A-E27E3FDA2D4E (resized).jpeg
#18 4 years ago

Any idea what would cause the Ball Release to stop working? Ugh!

#19 4 years ago

Here’s where I’m at with the machine now... very confused.

#20 4 years ago

I’m starting to wonder if it’s a score motor issues since it’s so random...???

#21 4 years ago

If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cellphone number in a private message and I'll make a first reply with a text message.

#22 4 years ago

I got it fixed last night. It turned out to be a contact on the Bonus Score relay for the Ball Release that wasn’t making contact (hard to get to). I ended up pulling the unit out and checking it over. I’ll add a photo soon.

Now the only issue I’m having is I cannot seem to get the Player Unit adjusted properly. If I tighten the clock spring and other springs just right I can get a perfect one player game, but it won’t advance to player 2. If I adjust it to where it will actually go to the next player it has a habit of skipping balls and won’t advance to player 1 after player 4. When I manually engage the unit, there seems to be a hitch in the movement that isn’t allowing the reset solenoid to reset to the next player, etc. or whatever it is. I’ll attempt to make a video of what it’s doing next. I checked the coil stops and they are both in good shape and both coils fire.

I appreciate your help.

Quoted from HowardR:

If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cellphone number in a private message and I'll make a first reply with a text message.

#23 4 years ago

The purple highlight was my issue.

2982531D-4754-417A-99A8-F417D7F54EDC (resized).jpeg2982531D-4754-417A-99A8-F417D7F54EDC (resized).jpeg
#24 4 years ago

Here’s what it’s doing now. Randomly not counting drained balls. I’m assuming it’s the Player Unit causing this...??? I doubt it’s the Ball index.

#25 4 years ago

So even with the Ball Index pulled it will occasionally/randomly skip balls. Any ideas? I’m assuming it’s the Player Unit at this point. Does anyone agree?

#26 4 years ago

The Ball Index pulls when points are scored but doesn’t always release when the Ball is drained, which is what appears to be causing the skipped balls.

Any ideas what would cause the Ball Index to not release randomly?

Perhaps it’s not the Player Unit after all?

#27 4 years ago

Anyone know what would cause the Ball
Index to not release on occasion? Is it just an adjustment on the Ball Index relay?

#28 4 years ago

The point relay switches initially send power to the ball index relay coil. Check the following:

10 point relay switch - white/brown wire and yellow wire
100 point relay switch - white/brown wire and yellow wire
1000 point relay switch - white/brown wire and yellow wire

Make sure these switches are clean and adjusted properly...

#29 4 years ago

That makes sense. I’ll do it. Thanks.

Quoted from fredsmythson:

The point relay switches initially send power to the ball index relay coil. Check the following:
10 point relay switch - white/brown wire and yellow wire
100 point relay switch - white/brown wire and yellow wire
1000 point relay switch - white/brown wire and yellow wire
Make sure these switches are clean and adjusted properly...

#30 4 years ago

Can anyone tell me if I’m missing a spring on my Player Unit? I’ve seen some with two springs.

5B80FE7C-1DF6-4883-A150-11B2953B9E39 (resized).jpeg5B80FE7C-1DF6-4883-A150-11B2953B9E39 (resized).jpeg
#31 4 years ago

Here’s what it’s doing...

#32 4 years ago

Here’s the Player Unit. Not sure about the adjustments for it.

#33 4 years ago

I think that stepper is missing a spring. Since it's a 4 position stepper, you can compare it to another stepper on the machine, like the coin unit. These steppers will advance three times to a different position via the step up solenoid. Then it will reset back to the first position when the reset solenoid is energized.

It looks like the spring you're adjusting is damaged and it will need to be replaced. These springs are not designed to be adjusted...

#34 4 years ago

This is why I’m frustrated.

#35 4 years ago

Player Unit function. Please tell me what’s wrong.

#36 4 years ago

I replaced the coil stops. Both coils measure as good. Sounds like I need new springs. Anything else?

#37 4 years ago

It "looks" like the player unit stepper is working properly when you manually press in the solenoid plungers. I would push in/release the step up solenoid plunger quickly one time and then pause for a few seconds, and the then push in/release again to see if the disc will properly click into each position. Do the same thing with the reset solenoid plunger - push in/release quickly one time.

From the video, it looks like the reset solenoid plunger is working properly mechanically. When you release that plunger, it will release only half-way. When the step up solenoid plunger operates again, it will make the reset solenoid plunger move out to its full resting position.

From the game play video, it seems like the player step up solenoid is working, but the player reset solenoid is not energizing during the game. Set up a 2 player game again and play the ball for the 1st player and then play the ball for the second player. Then go to the player unit and look at the player reset solenoid plunger. If the reset plunger is still in its full resting position, then the solenoid is most likely not receiving power. You can manually push in/release the reset solenoid plunger to see if that will get the game back to player 1, ball 2... If the reset plunger is half-way in the solenoid, then there might be a mechanical issue with the stepper... Here's a video of a Bally stepper in action:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nip-it-not-releasing-captured-ball?hl=fredsmythson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.