New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 219902)

Nip-It help needed

By Thrillhouse

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Thrillhouse
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

53EEBE86-29A3-41B7-8C75-23E27931045A (resized).jpeg
0Nip-It-Pinside-Pic-01 (resized).jpg
20180627_185924 (resized).jpg
20180627_170916 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
20180624_232525 (resized).jpg
Nip It Open Flippers (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

I'm trying to bring a Nip-It back to life and have hit a road block. The two issues I'm having: zipper flippers immediately reset and the ball count won't advance.
On the zipper flippers once I hit the mushroom bumper the ball index and a - b relay in the body and the 100 point relay in the head activate. As soon as I let go of the the switch the flipper release relay activates and returns the flipper to the open position. The open flippers switch on the playfield is properly adjusted and all the other of pf switches are set to normally open.

For the ball count relay ball one never progresses. I have cleaned the ball count unit and everything appears to move freely by hand.

Any help on where to look would be much appreciated, thanks for looking.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

zipper flippers immediately reset

Does the Open Flipper relay activate when this happens?

Quoted from Thrillhouse:

ball count won't advance

Inspect and dignose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Pinball (resized).png
#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

As soon as I let go of the the switch the flipper release relay activates and returns the flipper to the open position.

I assume that the "flipper release relay" you mention is the Open Flippers coil shown on the right in the schematic below. I believe it's mounted on the Zipper Flipper assembly.
Nip It Open Flippers (resized).jpg
If so, there's only one switch controlling it. Either that switch on the Open Flippers relay is stuck closed, or the Open Flipper relay is active. If the Open Flipper relay is active check the other switches in the Open Flipper relay circuit. One of them may be stuck closed.

/Mark

#4 2 years ago

Thank you both for the help. howardr when I hold the close flippers switch closed the 3 relays activate and the mech locks in place. As soon as I release the close flippers switch the open flippers relay activates and opens the flippers back up. I have gone thru the relays for the blue-yellow wire in Markg's diagram and nothing has changed. Would you mind explaining to me a little bit more about running the jumpers properly?

#5 2 years ago

You could try to put a piece of folded paper between the contacts of all of the switches in the Open Flipper relay circuit. Then if the relay does not activate, remove them one at a time until it activates again. That should help narrow down the problem.

#6 2 years ago

Hi Thrillhouse
"open flipper problem" - in the snippet of schematics MarkG shows in post-3: I see a switch on the Ball-Index-Relay - this switch opens when You make some points and so the Ball-Index-Relay pulls-in and stays pulling and the switch is open --- does Your Ball-Index-Relay does this ?

"Ball-Count wont advance" - HowardR 's JPG in post-2 --- question: Does the Player-Unit ever moves ? IF (if, if) "NO" --- rather down in the JPG I see a switch on the Ball-Index-Relay --- it must be pulling so the switch is closed. Greetings Rolf

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Would you mind explaining to me a little bit more about running the jumpers properly?

Does this help?

http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

#8 2 years ago

Thank you all. I have been monkeying with it some more. I beleive the issue is relates to either the blue-yellow or red-green wires. If i hold the b/y-r/g eos switch on the zipper assembly open when activating the switch to close the flippers it works as it should and the open flippers relay doesn't pull on. I'll follows those wires back on the schematic and see what I'm doing wrong.

20180624_232525 (resized).jpg
#9 2 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi Thrillhouse
"open flipper problem" - in the snippet of schematics MarkG shows in post-3: I see a switch on the Ball-Index-Relay - this switch opens when You make some points and so the Ball-Index-Relay pulls-in and stays pulling and the switch is open --- does Your Ball-Index-Relay does this ?
"Ball-Count wont advance" - HowardR 's JPG in post-2 --- question: Does the Player-Unit ever moves ? IF (if, if) "NO" --- rather down in the JPG I see a switch on the Ball-Index-Relay --- it must be pulling so the switch is closed. Greetings Rolf

rolf when points are scored the ball index relay only pulls for a second and then opens again. The player unit does not move after a ball drains.

#10 2 years ago

Hi Thrillhouse
one fault in Your pin is "The Ball-Index-Relay does NOT stay pulling" - a short wire runs from one side of the coil of the relay to "Switch mounted on the relay" - question: Is this switch good ?

Just for testing - wear rubber gloves (Safety Reasons - the stuff runs on 50VAC) - PRESS the armature of the Ball-Index-Relay constantly (You simulate the relay is pulling) - as You press: Try the "open flipper problem" - as You press: Try "loosing a ball in play". Greetings Rolf

#11 2 years ago

Rolf I did as you suggested and kept the ball index relay closed with my hand. The flippers did close normally but the ball count did not advance. As per howardr's jpg should I try adjusting the ball release or 2nd ball relay?

#12 2 years ago

Hi Thrillhouse
in the end of my post-6 I asked: " Does the Player-Unit ever moves ?" (2,3,4 Player-Game) - Your answer will help narrowing on the problem. Greetings Rolf

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

As per howardr's jpg should I try adjusting the ball release or 2nd ball relay?

Neither. Diagnose if either is at fault with Alligator clip jumper wires, and then adjust only that. Did the articles I linked to help you understand how to do that?

#14 2 years ago

Rolf no the player up unit does not advance when I drain a ball
howardr i did and thank you very much. I will test both relays now w the clips

#15 2 years ago

I just got done testing the relays but not sure if I'm doing this correctly. When I jump yellow to the orange-white on the coil and to the grey-red on the score motor the the player unit advances. When I jump the yellow wire to the grey wire on the second ball relay nothing happens. I did test it on the tilt relay and 4b score motor with no result also. There is continuity between all 3 points on the grey wire however. Also jumping the yellow wire to the red-green on the 2nd ball relay and the yelow-blue on both the ball index and ball release relays had no effect either. I'm not sure where to go from here anymore help would be very much appreciated.

#16 2 years ago

If you jumper these 2 wires, does the ball count advance during game play?

Pinball (resized).png
#17 2 years ago

Thank you again for the help Howard. Jumpering the orange-white with the grey-red does not advance the unit.

#18 2 years ago

Also where can I find the "coin unit disk"?

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Jumpering the orange-white with the grey-red does not advance the unit.

Even when playing the game?

Quoted from Thrillhouse:

where can I find the "coin unit disk"?

On the coin unit. Do you have the manual? The coin unit is probably one of the 2 steppers behind the transformer and next to the motor. It's the one that should advance when you add a player.

#20 2 years ago

Hi Howard, yes during normal play when the ball drains with the jumpers in place the ball count unit will not advance. I do have the schematic but no manual. The sticker on the stepper says ball count unit instead of coin unit which led to my confusion. Any other help would be much appreciated.

#21 2 years ago

The Ball Count unit is different from the Coin unit.

Pinball (resized).png
#22 2 years ago

Thank you Howard I think I see the problem now. The coin unit is in the head and mine looks to be one notch off of the correct starting position. I'll adjust and report back.

20180627_170916 (resized).jpg
#23 2 years ago

I readjusted the fingers so they sit squarely on the contacts and cleaned the all the metal surfaces. Still no solution though, any other insight would be great.

#24 2 years ago

So you made a change that didn't help. Did you change it back?

Also, how did you determine that it was "one notch off of the correct starting position"?

#25 2 years ago

I left it how it was as now the fingers rest in the middle of the contacts and not off to the side.

20180627_185924 (resized).jpg
#26 2 years ago

I suggest you get a picture from another Nipit owner to make sure your change is correct.

Also, how did you determine that it was "one notch off of the correct starting position"?

#27 2 years ago

I have a fireball and it uses the same unit with the same setup. The fireball works just fine.

1 week later
#28 2 years ago

Hi Thrillhouse
could You solve the problem(s) ? Greetings Rolf

#29 2 years ago

I put it on the back burner for a few days as our local gaming convention starts Friday and I had 4 other games that needed some attention. Im all caught up and would love some help Rolf!
I actually have 2 cabinets and 2 playfields but only one head. I swapped the head and playfield into the other cab and the 2 issues of the zipper flippers not closing and the ball count not advancing stayed the same. I'm going to swap the playfields on the new cab now and see if it changes anything.
Any help is much appreciated.

#30 2 years ago

Hi Thrillhouse
sounds as You are busy the next couple of days. Please write a new post when the gaming convention is over - You then have time to work on the "Nip It".

The buildings in MacMurdo Station - do they have light on 110VAC or on 220VAC ?
One way to do tests is "using Jumper-Wires" - another way is "using Test-Light(s)". I do not like the 48VAC (more dangerous) in the Bally pins (Williams and Gottlieb run on 24VAC) - so "Jumper-Wire" would be / is second choice - means first choice is "Test-Light(s)": "Toggling off the pin, unplugging the pin, setting Test-Light(s) - hands off - plugging-in, toggling-on, starting, playing and watching the Test-Light(s)".
Can You get (110VAC/) 48VAC / 24VAC / 12VAC bulbs/lamps to make You an Test-Light ? Greetings Rolf

#31 2 years ago

Hi Rolf thank you for the help. I'm in the United States for the next few months so I'm on 110VAC. I can make some test lights and will report back when I'm ready. Thank you

#32 2 years ago

Hi Thrillhouse
a cheap old Edison-Style 110VAC-Bedroom Light (no LED or other Energy-Saver) is fine - it will light up --- dim but clearly visible. I took HowardR 's picture (post-2) and added the use of an 48VAC / 110VAC Test-Light. You toggle-off and unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons) - You then establish permanent the Test-Light as "my 1" --- You plug-in, toggle-on, start a game --- the Test-Light must light all the time.
Toggle-off etc ... the Test-Light hooked-up as "my 2": The Test-Light must light-up when it comes to "stepping on the ball" - my other numbers (3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10) are other places to clip-on --- the idea is "first long distance covering - then shorter and shorter - means more and more stuff in the pin is involved - should / must work".
Write what problem You want to troubleshoot - may want to write when the convention is over and You have time for the Nip It.
It is getting late in Switzerland - I go to sleep, till tomorrow (?), greetings Rolf

0Nip-It-Pinside-Pic-01 (resized).jpg
#33 2 years ago

Sorry to ask this, but are you testing the game with 2 balls? For the ball count to advance, both balls must be in the trough or one ball in the trough and one ball locked. If one ball is in the trough and the 2nd ball drains, sequence of the ball draining and hitting the first trough switch much be working perfectly. If there is any mechanical delay in this process, but ball count will not advance. I owned a Nip It a few years ago and the outhole kicker was occasionally launching the ball in the air which delayed it from reaching the first trough switch fast enough. When this occurred, the ball count would not advance.

9 months later
#34 1 year ago

Did anyone figure this out? I’m having the exact issue. My ball index never holds when points are scored and my mushroom bumper gets deactivated immediately when hit.

#35 1 year ago

Where is the coin unit disc located?

#36 1 year ago

I’m almost certain it’s the bonus unit causing the issue. The Normally closed BONUS SCORE RE

53EEBE86-29A3-41B7-8C75-23E27931045A (resized).jpeg
#38 1 year ago

I should of updated this earlier, my apologies. I adjusted the switches on the player 4 score reels and it solved my issue.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
Tommy's Pins
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 1,400.00
$ 174.99
$ 159.00
$ 26.95
$ 799.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Apparel - Unisex
PinShades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.95
$ 125.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside