Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 days ago by 85Txaggie
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3161 (resized).jpg
IMG_3490 (resized).jpg

#1 29 days ago

I bought a Nip It with a bad Gator Solenoid. It is known to be unobtainium. Chas10e turned me on to the world of laminated solenoids. With lots of googling and reading datasheets, I found a solenoid that had the same mounting locations and the same width actuated arm. It is used on furnaces. When I removed the original solenoid, I found the same part number with a 1973 manufacture date. The part number is 2536-M-1 and currently made by Dormeyer.

amazon.com link »

Attached a picture of the new solenoid installed. Also had to manufacture a new roller since one was missing.

IMG_3490 (resized).jpg

#2 28 days ago

Awesome! Now just find me the rest of the Gator Assembly since mine is completely missing :p

#3 28 days ago

This is good news for some. The remaining number of games are missing much more parts today. A game without a "Balligator" is not a Nip-It.

Worth a moderator notating for future reference, as this original coil is very hard to find.

#4 27 days ago

Can you post pictures of the original solenoid with the numbers?

#6 27 days ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

Can you post pictures of the original solenoid with the numbers?

I can't. I already disposed of it. Sorry.

Here is a shot of the unit installed, before the new solenoid and roller. I had to disassemble each pivot and clean with alcohol.

IMG_3161 (resized).jpg

#7 27 days ago

Those laminated solenoids come in different voltages and duty cycles. What is the voltage of the original solenoid?

The two major solenoid manufacturers back then were Dormeyer and Guardian Electric.

#8 27 days ago

That coil is already looking a bit cooked, unless the soldering was less than optimal before prep and after completion. I agree with Ken regarding voltage checks. The original coil was 32 gauge wire.

I did not realize you were the owner that James Edes was asking for locally. I am quite sure I have one more coil somewhere in my Ted Zale parts inventory, but I could not find it for added reference.

#9 27 days ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

Awesome! Now just find me the rest of the Gator Assembly since mine is completely missing :p

Mine also is totally missing.

#10 27 days ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

That coil is already looking a bit cooked, unless the soldering was less than optimal before prep and after completion. I agree with Ken regarding voltage checks. The original coil was 32 gauge wire.

As I mentioned in that post, the 2nd picture is before I removed the old part. The solenoid a 120v solenoid. Same identical part number.

The picture in the link you posted also has the same base part number. (2536)

#11 27 days ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Those laminated solenoids come in different voltages and duty cycles. What is the voltage of the original solenoid?

Ken, same part number. It is the continuous duty cycle solenoid. http://disti-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/testco-inc/files/datasheets/13220.pdf

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 5,699.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 160.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 24.50
$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 104.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 219.99
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 37.99
Playfield - Decals
Arcade Moi Ca
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside