Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Nip It Player Reset 2 (resized).jpg
A507B89F-762E-43C1-A856-71C4C7311425 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

I am fairly new to the hobby and slowly have been trying to read schematics for pinballs but this particular problem has me stumped. On my Nip-It machine I can play a 1-player game fine and I also can play a 3 or 4-player game fine. But if I try to play a 2-player game the machine recognizes it as a 3-player game. My biggest problem I believe is I don't have a full understanding of what advancing to the next player is involved on an EM machine and where to troubleshoot it on the schematic. If anyone can point me to maybe a previous discussions on player advancement and how to troubleshoot them , that would be great. I have already searched the forum on my particular machine to no avail for this problem but I am unsure what other machine would be similar enough to search for this problem on. Thanks in advance.

#2 2 years ago

If it were me, I would look at the Player Up step unit (it is in the back box on my Bow and Arrow). There should be 2 coils on it, one to move to the next player and one to reset to player 1. Try activating the coil on the lower part of the Bakelite and see if it advances correctly and doesn’t skip player 2. You may need to clean the stepper unit if it is skipping that player.

Warning: I am new to working on my pinball, but was able to bring it back to life with help from people on here.

A507B89F-762E-43C1-A856-71C4C7311425 (resized).jpegA507B89F-762E-43C1-A856-71C4C7311425 (resized).jpeg
#3 2 years ago

There are two step units that work together. The Player Unit tracks the current player. The Coin Unit tracks the number of players. The Coin Unit should reset at the start of a new game which puts it at the 1 player position. It should take one step up as each additional player is added. The Coin unit doesn't reset until the start of the next game.

The Player Unit also resets at the start of a game to the player 1 position. It steps up when the ball drains until the player that drained is at the same position as the Coin Unit (e.g. until player 3 drains in a 3 player game). When the Coin and Player Units are in the same position and the ball drains, the Ball Count Unit steps up one position and the Player Unit resets to the player 1 position (e.g. from player 3 ball 1 to player 1 ball 2).

It sounds as if after resetting to the player 1 position, your Coin Unit might take two steps when player 2 is added instead of just one step. You can check by unplugging the game and manually advancing and resetting the Coin Unit. It should only ever take one step up and when it resets it should step back to the beginning all at once. If things look good when you do it manually start a game and watch what it does as you add a 2nd player. If it does take an extra step there's probably a mechanical reason for it unless you see the step up solenoid fire twice.

/Mark

#4 2 years ago

Thanks brianmac and MarkG for your response. Sorry but I stated the problem incorrectly on my previous post. 1 & 3 & 4 players all work correctly. But when I choose a 2-player game it thinks its in a 4-player game ( I previously stated that it thought it was in a 3-player game). I have already manually checked the steppers on the Coin and Player Unit and they seem to be advancing correctly and touching contacts fully. I have also cleaned boards and finger contacts on both units. With my limited knowledge I am suspecting that a 2 & 4 player game share a circuit somewhere and that is were the problem lies. Of course I could be totally wrong about this because God knows I have been wrong before....

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Mechanix333:

But when I choose a 2-player game it thinks its in a 4-player game

Remember that the Ball Count should advance and Player Unit should reset when the Coin Unit and Player Unit are in the same position and the ball drains.

If that's not happening I'd check the 2nd position paths through both units that would be used in a 2 player game. Here's the schematic for the two units and I've added red arrows where the Coin and Player Unit wipers should be when the 2nd player drains in a 2 player game.
Nip It Player Reset 2 (resized).jpgNip It Player Reset 2 (resized).jpg

It's likely that either the path through the Player Unit 2nd position (grey-red wire to white-brown wire) or the path through the Coin Unit 2nd position (white brown wire to orange-white wire) isn't working.

If the circuit skips over player 2 maybe you can see in the schematic how the Player Unit position 4 skips over the Coin Unit altogether and always advances the ball count.

#6 2 years ago

Your in good hands with @markg.
He helped me tremendously.
I will leave you in his very capable hands.

#7 2 years ago

easy first check is tug the wires on the player and coin units to see if any are broken off. Also look for poor solder joints.

if that's ok, the hard part is probably identifying the wires. They all look grey?

with power off, you can use an ohmeter to find the issue. You'll be able to tell which wire on the ball count step-up solenoid is 75-8 because it isn't black, so stick one probe there.

the other probe will find 91-2, 56-2 and 53-2 when you reset the coin unit and manually step it up, poking the wire lugs at each step to find the wire that shows almost zero ohms. If you don't find wire 56-2 per mark's diagram, the problem is the wiper->rivet contact on the coin unit or the wiring from the rivet to the wire lug.

if you find all the wires on the coin unit, the problem is the 56-2 to 91-2 wiper connection on the player up unit that mark indicated or something is wrong with 56-2.

#8 2 years ago

MarkG thanks for the info. Sorry for taking so long to reply but something has taken my attention away from this machine and I will not be able to look into your suggestion for probably another week. But I will post my findings as soon as I do.... Thanks Again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nip-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.