2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,262 posts
  • 222 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by InfiniteLives
  • Topic is favorited by 64 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 252 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

lonely-mountains-downhill-switch-hero (resized).jpg
acmc (resized).jpg
92D06873-45C2-4B2B-ADC4-57FBBD90691B.jpeg
17D3AE92-ECCC-4CB2-A585-4EF4F0D54ECA (resized).jpeg
687C6F11-ECE0-45A2-B4F9-81DE4852A529.jpeg
FA4E4AF6-3824-4456-9A78-C580565412B3.jpeg
A8E504C1-9606-45A2-9009-64CF91C013CA (resized).jpeg
20200428_220533 (resized).jpg
75E6454C-1867-4632-BB94-89592AF4701F (resized).jpeg
8D9FF2B3-4710-4BC0-B254-E8A8DF0C7E78 (resized).jpeg
F5BCE18A-93B9-4C64-8CBD-6A21C4F10D3A (resized).jpeg
6BFF61B7-2593-4401-85C0-C135F98E1E90 (resized).jpeg
4543FAC6-0455-4CD9-BBA0-485364E3FD74 (resized).jpeg
F6E90297-2067-4A70-99AE-E46F4DEC49AC (resized).jpeg
68CC1C4D-3028-42DF-8E24-4FF480081CC5 (resized).jpeg
65D0A195-F3B5-4D72-949F-B840C7853E53 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#268 2 years ago

I'm enjoying the game so far, I am surprised that it has 97% on metacritic though. It's a good game, but lets be real here...its production value as far as voice acting, etc, is about the level of a game made 15 years ago, still no online play, etc. Same thing for Zelda, it was like 97% too but I thought the Witcher 3 was a much better game in almost all aspects (story, visuals, combat, etc). I'm not sure why Nintendo gets a free pass on some of that stuff, if someone else came out with the exact same game under a different brand with basically no story or voice acting, it would get a 7 probably.

#272 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

What the heck would you want online play for with Mario?
There are a few companies that consistently score high marks on their core franchises. Companies like Nintendo and Blizzard start with gameplay and perfect that first. Everything else is viewed as peripheral. You'll never find a platformer that controls better than Mario does. Ever. It's the outright gold standard for the genre. Usually the same goes for level design. For Zelda, find me an open world that feels even half as compelling to explore. It's not out there. There's a reason why there were scores of articles about how Zelda ruined traditional open world gaming for many people. They totally raised the bar on what the expect in a world. They made a true sandbox that is as focused or as open as you want it to be, but it never lags or drags along.
The Witcher 3 was a great game, but it lacked the polish to match its ambition. And man, that game can really drag through sections. The pacing isn't nearly as even as it could be.

Let me state, I didn't play Zelda as a kid, so I have no nostalgia for it like a lot of people. I'm not sure how it ruined open world gaming for people. Zelda is a great game if:

you want little direction to do anything
you want to wander around aimlessly searching for things
you want to solve a ton of puzzles

Compared to the Witcher 3 though (or even something like Horizon Zero Dawn, which is also awesome),

story is 100x better in the Witcher and Horizon
sidequests are better
you can wander anywhere just like zelda except for the climbing thing
Horizon had better combat than the other two
obviously the graphics are better on Witcher 3 and Horizon

I just can't figure out what Zelda offers that makes it better than those games except for there were unique solutions to some puzzles. Maybe I just don't care about that. But I can say that I easily had 10x more fun in those other two games than Zelda, Zelda I felt like I was just running around aimlessly looking for shrines, trying to find weapons to replace mine that would break constantly, etc. Maybe it's because I'm older and like games to give some sort of guidance rather than 'do whatever you want, good luck'. Probably the same reason I can't play minecraft, I don't 'get it', lol.

#274 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's a shame, you missed out on a phenomenal series. It's not just about nostalgia, they're mostly amazing games. Link to the Past on SNES is still one of my all time favorites and often seen on best game lists.

Art direction, animation, music, freedom, pure joy, I dunno lol
You seem like a PC/PS4/realism gamer...it's possible Nintendo's charm is lost on you.

It might be lost on me. I've been playing games since the Apple II days, and really like RPG's like Baldur's Gate II, KOTOR, Mass Effect, Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Divinity, etc. so I think I've gotten so used to games with stories that when they don't have one I just have a hard time staying motivated to play it. It's like asking me to watch a 100 hour movie where I know the ending with almost no voice acting, at least with the other games I didn't really know what was going to happen so there was this anticipation of story to keep me going. Finding a shrine for the sake of finding a shrine isn't super motivating, especially when you about fall asleep trying to run around finding them, lol.

#292 2 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

I really liked that aspect of the game. It added a whole strategy as far as what weapons to hold, how to spend your seeds to increase your storage capabilities, etc. It also makes sense that a stick is not as durable as forged sword.

It made sense that a stick would break and maybe some other wooden items. Metal swords constantly breaking is not realistic nor enjoyable. Maybe getting dull sure. There's a reason why almost everyone abandoned that concept long ago, it's super annoying, lol. The Witcher's system was also super annoying with your swords getting dull but at least it was realistic.

Going back to the comments above that it's probably not for me, it's probably that I don't like open world games that don't have a story (or have a mediocre story). Hence why I don't really like GTA5 either but loved Red Dead Redemption. Also, I think critics and users are sometimes not in the same ballpark as far as reviews go. So like on Metacritic:

Critic score:
BOTW 97%
Horizon 89%
Witcher 3 92%

User reviews:
BOTW 84%
Horizon 83%
Witcher 3 92%

The user reviews mirror more of what I feel except for I'd have horizon higher. For me, being from Nintendo does not equal 'free pass' on lack of story and other things standard in 2017 because I wouldn't cut any other game slack for it. Maybe I've played way too many games too, my xbox gamerscore is like almost 50,000.

#295 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I just don't think you like Nintendo. Sell your Switch. Play all the newest "Mocap Mannequins In Realism Land" games on the other consoles. I'll continue to enjoy this brilliant art and gameplay Nintendo is killing it with.
Also - SPLATFEST STARTS TONIGHT!!!!!

I've owned the gamecube, wii, wii u, and bought the switch day one...yep, don't like Nintendo. But I also own dreamcast, ps2, ps3, ps4, ps4 pro, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one, xbox one x. I just don't cut them a free pass on things like lame online play setup, just because "it's Nintendo" doesn't mean they should absent of criticism. I also feel like maybe you haven't played any of the newer RPG's of the past 5 years so maybe you don't understand my perspective?

#297 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

All I know it's their games are fun as fuck, and the things PC/PS4 gamers complain about have never bothered me. My DS, 3DS, and Wii U have had online play that works perfectly for me....and I'm playing online ARMS and Splatoon 2 on Switch all the time and it's awesome. So, they do get a pass, cuz they make the only stuff I want to play.

Do you not have any friends you want to play with online and like talk with them? Because the Switch is awful for that, lol. That's what I'm talking about as far as lackluster online play. No achievements, no coherent network, no integrated voice chat, etc. I like their games like Splatoon 2 online but it would be a lot better if friend integration was better. I mean it's not even at the level of the original xbox from 2002, lol.

Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't play RPG's period cuz I hate turn based gameplay & long boring stories.
Zelda's never been an RPG, it's always been an action/adventure/puzzle/quest....maybe that's what's not connecting? Expectations that don't match what you thought it was supposed to be?

My reviews:
BOTW: 80,000,000,000,000% One of the most amazing games I've ever played & the Zelda I've put the most hours into (175 hrs so far), and I'd totally play through the entire thing again
Horizon: The robot monsters look cool, but those creepy mannequin humans ugh
Witcher: WTF is a Witcher?

Turn based RPG? When was the last time you played a modern RPG? I can't even think of a major turn based AAA one on the Xbox One/PS4 outside of Divinity and Persona 5. I'm not sure I would classify Zelda that much differently that other modern games, it's in same category as like the new Tomb Raider games and current action RPGs, has elements of those kind of games. Like compared to the Witcher and Horizon:

both have full loadout for inventory
both have crafting/cooking
both have puzzles
both have huge open worlds
both you level up
both have sidequests
both have combat action that relies on strategy more than mashing buttons
Zelda and Horizon have regenerating enemies, which Witcher doesn't have
Witcher and Horizon have a story driven narrative, which zelda doesn't have
both have tons of secrets to discover
zelda is family friendly, Witcher is definitely not, Horizon is somewhere in between.

I mean, they're pretty close overall as far as game category. What was the last non-Nintendo RPG you played? You're describing things from like 20 years ago, lol, as if the last RPG you played was the original Fallout on PC. All the turn based stuff kind of disappeared in the early 2000's (except for jrpg's) until Divinity kind of brought it back recently.

1 month later
#475 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I should have said other system as that was my point, I can't imagine gaming on only a switch. I wish Nintendo would just make a proper gaming system that could try and compete with the other platforms.

I agree. The gamecube was the last full fledged gaming system they made. The switch is good for Nintendo games but unless you want portability there's little reason to buy the game on the Switch vs PC/PS4/Xbox if you own those and the game exists on all of them, the Switch version is going to limited compared to the others. I think I own like 8 Switch games but almost all of them are first party games. For me it usually breaks down like:

Xbox One X--main gaming
ps4 pro--ps exclusives
switch--nintendo exclusives
pc--pc exclusives

You could put the PC or PS4 into the 'main gaming' part just as easy, but it would be hard to do with any Nintendo console of the past 10 years (Switch, wii, wii u) because of the online limitations, poor sports games, and lack of 3rd party support. The exception would be is if you haven't gamed lately or do it infrequently, then the Switch could work just like the Wii probably worked for that person.

#488 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Crap, there are still devs making wii games.
Not everyone in gaming wants to play games you only see on PS4/x1
BF2 takes how long to load and get into a game?! 30 min? A switch game is fast, can play quick and pause, pick up later. Now we don’t have the same games here but I’m not into those anymore, no time. The good casual games on switch have made me start gaming again

The irony is that BF2 probably takes like double what the switch base capacity can hold by itself, has multiplayer that their system wouldn't be able to support, and requires graphics settings that their system can't support. It's like me telling someone "look how fast my DOS games load suckers!".

I love mine for portability. That's it. If it wasn't portable, then it wouldn't get played very much honestly. But it's super handy when waiting on kid events for an hour.

#495 2 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

Gamestop is pretty good for used controllers (esp if you have the elite pro membership for better savings).
Goodwill gets alot of nintendo switch products (esp the stores that have the electronics separate stores).
Mom and pop stores are great too (if you can still find them).

You have to be really careful with buying used controllers from Gamestop. I had a lot of issues with the ones I've bought from there. I bought 6 a while back in a buy 2, get 1 free sale and 3 of the 6 controllers have some sort of weird issue that you wouldn't notice right away. One when you're scrolling goes up two instead of one, one has the center drift issue, one has some sort of right stick issue. I don't think I'd buy any more used controllers from there, people are just dumping their mostly working controllers there.

3 months later
#641 2 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

I can get a NIB switch (CL) for $260. Tell me if that’s a good price and why I should buy this game system.

I think it depends on how much Nintendo nostalgia you have and whether you have a console already. Major nostalgia? Then yes. Have the other consoles? Then yes.

Otherwise if you're going to buy one console save money and by an Xbox One or PS4. The game selection on those is just so far beyond the switch right now. I can't even get my kids to play the switch, it's either ipad or xbox. They don't have nostalgia though, and that's the problem.

#643 2 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Yeah I already have an Xbox One and I like the idea of a good portable system with good games. Liked the original Zelda on NES and the new one looks pretty amazing.

Then it would be worth getting probably. It's fun for Mario, Zelda, and a few others. I play it when my kids are at practices sometimes but rarely at home.

#650 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I love my switch but game like GoW highlight some of the hardware shortcomings. You have to admit seeing loadings screens and subbar performance in BotW was disappointing. Still an amazing game and I loved every minute. The combat in GoW is amazingly good, it seems like the video you are watching is just a few cinematic moments. When you actually play it it's all strategy and gameplay. Every fight is a challenge and very satisfying the big moments are paced just right, they are not the norm they are spectacle moments. The acting and story are amazing and never interrupt the flow. At no time have I ever felt that I wasn't completely in control, it's not on on rails kind of game. Kind of game no gamer should miss.

I haven't picked up GoW yet but want to, it sounds pretty good. The problem I have currently with the Switch is that other than portability, it doesn't offer anything else for me. I own Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon 2, etc but the online is awful compared to the Xbox plus it's missing all the best online games (Overwatch, Fortnite, Pubg, etc). So the key feature would be playing online outside of your house but it doesn't have the games I'd want to play. Nintendo's network doesn't even work with my home internet from AT&T, I have to play off a mobile hotspot, super annoying.

And like Rare Hero mentioned, if you like story, don't buy first party Nintendo games, stick to 3rd party games or other consoles. The first party games are all action and no fluff. Most of the time I like story except for a few cases like Far Cry 5 (but I could skip it all anyways, so it was like it had no story).

#674 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I was going to say the same. If your xbox or ps4 can go online, the switch should have no issue, unless it is too far from the router.

Nintendo is almost like blizzard, their story comes from outside the game. Japan has more access, but ARMS has a comic coming out to tell the background. Splatoon's story is all in single player, etc. So it really depends on the game and what and how you want it fed to you.

You're right, Nintendo is like Blizzard, super polished games with non-existent stories, lol. That's probably why both of them stay away from the story based RPG genre.

And Rare Hero, I'm glad Nintendo is different, but that doesn't mean that crappy online setup and no voice chat is acceptable in 2018 when I was doing that in 1999 in counterstrike, lol. I mean seriously, come on.

#678 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You're looking at this through a computer gaming lens. Console/portable gamers have different priorities.

No, I'm looking at this through a 2018 lens where I want to play online with my kids with voice chat and it doesn't work or is super complicated. I play Fortnite, Overwatch, etc with them, and would probably do some of the nintendo games too if it wasn't so screwy (and worked with my internet...to the person who asked above, since I'm in Kansas the best available internet out here is via 4g, and Nintendo is incompatible with AT&T 4g. Yes, if you have AT&T, you can't do a hotspot with the Switch...big drop of the ball on Nintendo's part).

Now if I'm playing by myself, I agree, normally I don't want/care about voice chat most of the time. But friends/kids/relatives it's 10x better with voice chat.

Seriously dude, you're stepping into Whysnow territory here with your love for the Switch. I know it cured all the world's problems, but it's not perfect. Just like my Xbox doesn't have great RPG's and my ps4 has crappy racing games, it's ok to admit shortcomings, lol. It's just a console, that's it...I don't think I'm asking too much for them to at least get their stuff up to xbox live 2002 standards.

#686 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

How dare you. If you buy a $300 Switch, you’ll get one. I’m not trying to sell you on a multi thousand dollar item made by yokels and thieves.

Lol, it's not the cost or yokel thing, it's the "deflect every issue, everything is amazing, other competitors are lackluster, no admitting of any item fault" thing. You're a good guy. Obviously you'll get your switch. But people should be aware of the strengths and weaknesses, not just get shouted down that those weaknesses are stupid and wrong (because that's what happens in those preorder threads).

#687 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Maybe that's a misunderstanding about PS4? Most of the multiplayer PS4 games I've played only have you voice chat with people in your direct party (i.e. friends), not randos that are also in the game. I wouldn't play if I had to put up with a bunch of 11 year olds who have apparently met my mom.

Yeah it's the same as the xbox. Random voice chat hasn't been a thing for 5 to 10 years now, last game I remember playing a bunch that had that was Modern Warfare 2.

#694 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I've never played Fortnite, but their marvel promotion going on right now will make me try it.

The hardest part is the building. I'm terrible at it. I've won one singles and one doubles, but it was more from bush camping than anything else...if I get into a build fight I'm screwed. I'm actually surprised at how popular it has gotten, it's good but I still like a bunch of other online games better. I think it's the building/minecraft aspect that all the younger generation loves but I'm too slow at. When somebody starts building the empire state building in front of me I usually just run away, lol.

11 months later
#2113 1 year ago

I like longer games as long as they have a good story like Mass Effect, Witcher 3, etc. I have a hard time when there's no compelling reason to finish the game from a narrative perspective. I have to really like the combat to continue without a good story, Divinity 1 and 2 are probably the ones that first come to mind as games with no compelling story but the combat is so good you can overlook it.

#2116 1 year ago
Quoted from cleland:

Keep playing GTA V, I loved finishing that one. I actually like being told where to go, and what to do (in video games at least). I love the ending, because you have a choice.....and Trevor always cracked me up. Crazy Son of a Bitch

I couldn't make it through GTA V, got too bored with the driving between missions. It's literally commuting. I kept falling asleep playing it, drive back to change clothes or drive to the other side of town for something, it's like 10 to 15 minutes sometimes. I kept passing out, lol.

I made it through Red Dead 2 but it very close to the same thing, way too much time riding for no apparent reason between missions.

#2117 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Too much story just makes me feel like I’m doing filler between a movie. Bores me. BOTW has just story where the memories and cutscenes feel like a treat, rather than movie slog. I’ve been anti movie-wannabe games since Metal gear Solid 2. That game drove me back to Nintendo lol.
Ive been trying with my PS4. Finished Spider-Ma last year. Hadn’t touched it since then, been playing GTA V this week. It’s kinda cool, but also kinda too hand-holdy and story stuffed....I loved GTA3 tho, so it’s holding onto me with nostalgia at least. It makes me wanna play BOTW again lol

MGS2 is like the height of the too much movie thing in video games, I remember that game, FF-X, Xenosaga, etc had way too many cutscenes. Xenosaga especially, it had like a 45 minute unskipable scene. As long as they're skipable, there aren't too many issues with them for me.

I'm not sure I would consider BOTW having any story compared to modern games. It's like 1992ish level of story. I do have to give them credit though, they did add in some voices to the games instead of just text boxes for once. But that's Nintendo's deal, just make the same game with gameplay improvements over and over, and people love it. Kind of like Disney, if you go Disney World without any nostalgia, you scratch your head and wonder why everyone is crazy about this place...poor food service, ridiculous lines, super high prices, etc. But all the parents remember it from their childhood and love it despite that. I didn't go to Disney when I was a kid so it all seems weird to me, they get a pass on things that nobody else would. Nintendo gets the same pass on things that nobody else would be able to get away with.

Spiderman was a really good game. I think the new God of War was slightly better, which surprised me considering how much I liked Spiderman.

#2121 1 year ago

I didn't play MGS4, sounds like I didn't miss much. I did play a decent amount of MGS5 but it was super weird with the cutscenes. Frankly I have no idea what is even going on half the time in those games with the story, it's pretty bad, lol.

#2123 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

No you actually missed a lot not playing MGS4. Yes some cutscenes are outrageously long BUT the intro is Epic, the gameplay is IMO far more demanding on stealth than MGS5, and the ending is in my top 3 favorite in history, one that left traces long after I was done with the game.
Edit : I almost forgot to mention the soundtrack, a musical masterpiece of its own !

If it's like the other MGS games, there's probably some super weird crap that makes absolutely no sense going on in those cutscenes, lol. I can't even remember the ones in 5, they were kind of awful unless you really like weird stuff. I did like the gameplay in 5 though, I thought it was the best of the MGS games I've played.

4 months later
#2401 8 months ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Good lord I can't remember a fall season this packed in quite sometime. Just finished up Hellblade (awesome btw, highly recommend), preordered No Ni Kuni this week, picking up Astral Chain tonight, Dragon Quest IX, Ghostbusters remastered on the 4th of Oct. Not to mention The Sinking City and Call of Cthulhu on the radar...
Also for those looking to pick up Links Awakening today, Walmart has it listed for $49.98. Use brickseek to check stock.

I think it's only packed if you're a switch only owner, lol. I have all three (xbox, ps4, switch) and find this fall to be the worst one for gaming in a long time. The switch is getting a lot of games that were already on other systems, but that doesn't really do me a lot of good. There really isn't any blockbuster game this fall.

#2412 8 months ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Except for Luigi's Mansion 3. I don't really get that excited for new releases, but that game is a top 5 for me. It is really well done musically, visually, and fun/casual gameplay.

I'm actually looking forward to that game as well. However, I wouldn't exactly call it a blockbuster, lol. I still think the original was the best game on the gamecube despite the lukewarm reviews.

2 weeks later
#2492 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Since I stopped buying pins, spending $60 on video games seems like throwing pocket change around.

No kidding. Video games keep getting cheaper and cheaper. I think it's only going to get cheaper as people try and come up with their own Xbox Game Pass alternatives. The biggest problem right now with video games is the time to production and cost, it feels like games either have to be AAA or small indie games, there's no inbetween. And lots of remakes right now.

#2497 7 months ago

I didn't realize Divinity 2 is now out for the switch. If you guys are looking for a LONG tactical RPG, there probably isn't a better one than Divinity 2. It probably has the best turn based battle system I've ever played, unfortunately saddled with an inventory system and quest system from the 90's. You'll definitely have to look up solutions for this game, some of them are rather hidden and not obvious. I'm almost done with it on the Xbox one finally.

#2499 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You’ve described my hell.

Even though Divinity 2 is getting 95% ratings, I kind of think it's more like an 8 out of 10. It's a 10/10 battle system with a 6 out of 10 rpg part. I know the real hardcore people are like it's amazing to have something buried in an obscure place where you can only see it if your perception is high enough, but to me it's extremely frustrating to not be able to advance because I'm searching around forever not being to find stuff because it's actually not even there.

The books in the inventory are ridiculous. I think I have like 100 of them now. I can't tell which ones I need and which ones I don't, and I think the reading is screwed up sometimes (so you have to read them again) so I end up keeping them all just in case.

I also don't like that you can't grind at all in the game. The ONE GAME where battling is amazing, and the game prevents you from doing extra, lol. Whereas most games you have to grind because you have to.

#2502 7 months ago
Quoted from Gov:

Divinity II is an awesome game. Would love to have a group to play Co-op with.

Man, I can't imagine playing that game co-op. It would take forever. If the game was only 10 hours it wouldn't be bad, but it's like 80 to 90 hours. And 3/4 of it is pretty slow paced for a multiplayer game.

1 week later
#2507 7 months ago

I'm surprised nobody is talking about the Witcher 3 in here...or did everyone already play it on other platforms?

#2508 7 months ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

Anyone else anxious for the port of outer worlds to switch? Cant wait to get my hands on this game!

Yeah, it looks good. I believe it's coming out for free on Xbox game pass in about 10 days which is when I'll grab it.

#2520 7 months ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

You won't agree, but to me it's a way better game than BOTW.
Witcher 3 stands well enough on its own and it's a nearly completely different game than 1 and 2, which are dissimilar from each other to begin with. It does a good job of allowing you to infer established relationships and events without needing to know what happened before. I had barely played 1 and never played 2 beforehand, and found W3 to be very enjoyable.
Its a beautiful open world game with enjoyable combat in the vein of the Batman Arkham games.
Seems like the Switch version would be a diminished experience. As much as I love the game, I have no reason to want it on the Switch.
You'll dismiss it as corpse mannequins, but whatever.

I never play 1, but finished 2 and 3. I didn't even remember what had happened in 2 when I played 3 really. One thing for parents out there, this is not a game for kids. No language for the most part, but Gerald is ahem a "ladies man", lol. I agree that Rare Hero should stay away, it's a deep story based game with legit choices that absolutely determine the outcome of the game. And the choices aren't what you think, and can come at any time. Definitely not for those who think BOTW is the best rpg ever (and I seriously mean that, this is story based action rpg, and not a puzzle based rpg, and it not remotely the same type of game). Even the expansions are legit full fledged games that are rather amazing on their own.

Basically, if your liked Mass Effect, you'll probably love it.

#2539 7 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I picked up GB remaster for my plane trip to Florida this week. Played a couple levels on x360 so this should be fun to beat before LM3

The game is ok but not great. I had never played it so I was excited but it’s kind of meh. It’s too much paint by numbers, everything is too scripted. Sometimes that is fine but in 2019 it feels like you’re on rails.

#2550 7 months ago

Looks like Outer Worlds is getting really good reviews. Say it's a lot like Mass Effect and Fallout New Vegas.

#2557 7 months ago

Outer Worlds is awesome btw. Been playing it the last two days.

#2559 7 months ago
Quoted from Gov:

I need to play it some more. I have it on Xbox Gamepass for PC, which is a nice surprise that it was released on there day one. It was good what little I have played of it so far. I was sick most of the weekend and spent a lot of it on the couch and broke out my Wii U and played some Zelda Windwaker HD. Still an amazing game.

I could never finish the Windwaker, for the same reason I couldn't finish GTA5...long travels of nothingness, causing me to fall asleep while playing it, lol. I played it on gamecube before cell phones and when you had to sail long distances I would just fall asleep. GTA5 I felt like I was commuting to work, same pass out effect.

1 month later
#2670 5 months ago

This was like my least active black friday ever for games. I think with all the new consoles coming out next year the game releases were really light unfortunately, anything that was good I had bought already. Only bought one game. Typically I buy 3 to 10.

4 weeks later
#2803 4 months ago

I've been playing Splatoon 2 again. I find it to be pretty fun overall, they've done quite a few updates since I last played it. It's interesting because when you play non-ranked, everyone seems to be terrible...I think I played 20 or so games the past couple days unranked (as I didn't have enough levels to get to ranked play yet) and I think I was first on my team in all of them (most of the time by a huge margin) but one where I switched my gun out one time (and then went back). Ranked is pretty good but I don't like the modes as much as the unranked map painting (maybe that's a mode in ranked? I haven't gotten it yet if it is). I'm pretty sure the secret to my success is that I'm using a pro controller with no motion controls enabled...since I've been playing FPS games with controllers since 2001, and I think most of the people playing unranked are probably kids using motion controls.

Also playing some Luigi's mansion 3. Pretty fun, I don't like it as much as the original, but it's good.

#2806 4 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I’m level 89, Rank S+ ...only way to play is with Pro + motion. That’s the only way you can aim & move like butter. Click click click aiming won’t get you far. Motion aiming is what the pros use, not the kids.
Most people play like idiots at lower level because they’re just figuring it out. They just aim at the floor, they don’t know the weapons, gear, maps.

I did some research on it, seems like 80% of the players use the motion, the others are probably like me and are so used to the old style that it's too hard to switch, lol. The rainmaker mode so far is pretty frustrating...so many times someone on your team picks it up and then just goes nowhere with it, even when there are no enemies around.

I find it pretty fun, though I wish they'd allow you to pick your game mode...evidently I keep playing when rainmaker is the only game mode, so I keep getting stuck playing that. There's a lot of quitting that goes on too, my last three matches someone on my team quit. I actually don't know if they're quitting or if Nintendo's online system is kicking them out, it's kicked me out a bunch of times too (not when playing though, usually in between matches).

#2808 4 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I haven’t been kicked off since I switched to an Apple Airport for WiFi (and when I’m docked, I’m wired). I suspect people dropping off is due to their own shifty WiFi.
Seriously tho - try motion. Keep in mind it isn’t pure motion. You still couple it with the right stick for left/right aim. It’s a powerful combo and very freeing to be able to look around and aim precisely with motion.
Tip for lower rank Rainmaker - EVERYONE tries to go for it...so, rather than rushing it - get around the other other team and try to kill them off as they’re rushing for it. Anyway, as you rank up, there will be less shitty players & competition becomes crazy.

I'm not sure if I could do the motion controls while working out on the elliptical like I'm doing now, I think it would be pretty tough. I'll use your tips for Rainmaker. The dropoffs are definitely on Nintendo's side for me, I have zero dropoffs on my xbox one x that's right next to my switch...and it's not disconnecting me entirely, it's just kicking me back to the lobby (where I can immediately reconnect).

1 week later
#2845 4 months ago

About 2/3rds of the way through Luigi's Mansion 3, it's a good game but man they made some design decisions that really make it tedious at times. Like the cat sequence on the 8th floor, so annoying. Trying to push through it but have kind of stalled on it. I still think I like the original better as it seemed less linear.

#2874 4 months ago

Ori is a really good game, but somehow I got myself into a situation where I can't get out of. No health, and with only one exit that's extremely hard, it's been impossible for me progress.

I can't get into the roguelike things. They all seem really repetitive. Probably because I got my fill of these games in the arcade in the 80's replaying the first level over and over, I'm kind of over that stuff.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12,500.00
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
$ 29.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
Playfield - Plastics
Maple Street Sign Shop
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 209.00
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 60.00
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 41.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Haus
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside