q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#630 5 years ago

I've been following the Switch emulation scene in the last couple of weeks. There are currently two emulators in development: Yuzu and Ryujinx. From what I've read both teams are keeping it fair and competitive, without being hostile towards one or the other. Competition between software developers is healthy, as long as everyone involved remains objective and people don't actively try to take sides and say one is consistently better than the other, or wish one of them dominates and the other fails.

From what I can see so far, Ryujinx on average in some cases is slower than Yuzu, but seems to be much more accurate. Here is a comparison between the two using the same games, the first is homebrew and the second is a commercial game.

Here is a video discussing the state of Switch emulation:

#673 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Ok this is just getting silly. I myself would love to play BotW in 4K HDR or at 60 FPS and done away with those ridiculous loading screens.

You can already play this at 4K 60fps with Cemu and get an HDR effect with custom shaders, and greatly diminished loading times. You just need a nice PC to do it that honestly would probably cost not much more than a Switch, joycon grip, pro controller, and other accessories needed.

4 weeks later
#896 5 years ago

Sonic Mania runs on Ryujinx emulator at 100+FPS with perfect graphics and sound including touch support!

#899 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Yeah to me you'll never get the same enjoyment as you do from owning the system and having a real controller in your hand. Clicking around to load stuff up just to play free pirated stuff is weak sauce for current games. It's all faking it.

I understand your points, a couple of things though:

1. Yes emulation will never be perfect, but emulation today is a lot better accuracy and speed wise than 10 years ago. Heck, I nearly beat Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam on my 3DS emulator and am enjoying it much more than using a small mobile device with a harder to see screen. Instead I've blown it up on my 22" monitor in 1080p and can play the game in any display configuration I want with any controller, including real game console controllers. I also don't like the button layout so I have re-arranged the buttons on my controller. So really emulation gives you more options in many cases.

2. Emulation does not equal piracy unless you download game ROM/disc images for games you do not own. The emulation software uses no code from Nintendo and thus no copyrighted content, which makes it legal to own and use. Unfortunately the two ideas of emulation and piracy have been associated by the masses and it hurts the image of people working on this type of software with the end goal to play the games they already own on a different platform other than the actual console, and for hombrew software development on real consoles.

#925 5 years ago
Quoted from insx:

What percentage of people who download games for emulators would you say own all those games? I would guess that it is in single figures.

Oh definitely, it still does not equate emulation itself to piracy. If I wanted to play a pirated Wii game, I can do it with or without emulation. The emulator just runs the games. A better explanation if you want to get in to it:

#929 5 years ago

Yeah unfortunately...

#939 5 years ago

I’m really liking some of the new character designs in SSBU. Zelda especially.

1 month later
#1116 5 years ago

Update on Switch emulation, several 2D and 3D games are now playable at full or nearly full speed:

#1117 5 years ago

Holy moly, today's update to Ryujinx is crazy!!

4 months later
#1749 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Everyone too busy smashing!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#1764 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

anyone in need of a sealed copy of super smash ultimate for the switch? $50 plus $4 shipping anywhere in the usa
I've got 3 extra copies that I'd like to shift

Mine just came in today. Thanks!

#1780 5 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

You're right about spending money on this thing. I would like a second dock, but everything I read suggests that the only safe bet is the official (expensive) nintendo version. Bummer.

Quoted from ralphwiggum:

When I bought our Switch last year at Christmas, my grand total was just over $700. That was for two games, the system, a screen protector, a memory card, and an extra joycon. So much for being a $300 system.... LOL

Seriously! You can build a killer gaming PC that will emulate the Switch, Wii U, and every other Nintendo console. Plus you get to choose your accessories and use any controller under the sun. One of the downsides is that is not a portable solution.

#1782 5 years ago

Yeah there are definitely drawbacks. I'm just disgusted with what appears to be diminishing value in consoles but they still have their place regardless.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey?tu=crash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.