2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,265 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 hours ago by kingfishtr
  • Topic is favorited by 65 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 259 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

881A0C13-CC88-45FA-85C9-3E5CB8890737 (resized).jpeg
0BE07796-4910-472F-AA9B-B2A0B6E16E6D (resized).jpeg
363E74EC-5BB7-46D8-8192-AB757994AAF2 (resized).jpeg
E046AC42-CD75-4681-94D4-84E672873883 (resized).jpeg
39A44D9A-0A01-40C9-858D-B910537BF27C (resized).jpeg
5D59B2BD-0A56-46CD-8F0A-B70A1928F903 (resized).jpeg
B5DA974C-C2D6-4C50-902F-EBE42AEA9142 (resized).jpeg
lonely-mountains-downhill-switch-hero (resized).jpg
acmc (resized).jpg
92D06873-45C2-4B2B-ADC4-57FBBD90691B.jpeg
17D3AE92-ECCC-4CB2-A585-4EF4F0D54ECA (resized).jpeg
687C6F11-ECE0-45A2-B4F9-81DE4852A529.jpeg
FA4E4AF6-3824-4456-9A78-C580565412B3.jpeg
A8E504C1-9606-45A2-9009-64CF91C013CA (resized).jpeg
20200428_220533 (resized).jpg
75E6454C-1867-4632-BB94-89592AF4701F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adol75.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1079 1 year ago

I'm at 24 hours on Octopath Traveller in 4 days, it's not obsessional yet but getting close to it ! That's where the Switch is a fantastic system, Octopath follows me to my couch, to bed, to the bathroom and to "work" (can't say I've done much of that this week!).

It's nothing short from a masterpiece RPG, a tribute to the golden era of the 16 bits machine, while bringing some new and thrilling ideas to the table.

Definitely my killer title of the Switch so far, and of the year all together.

#1090 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

The first boss fight that I'm encountering after collecting all of my members is *killing* me. It's Omar on Tressa's first main quest. I went at it for a good hour before he buffed and wiped out my team in consecutive 2 attacks! Even after grinding up to lvl 25 or so (recommended lvl 18 or something, right....), he's still giving me a hard time. I'm going to have to try Cyrus's quest again in the same town...I've never had an RPG kick my ass this bad since FFVII Ruby/Emerald Weapon fights!

I started spending all my money on weapons, then realized direct attacks (as in weapon with attack commands) are not what takes down bosses, Cyrus does heavy damages with magic once boosted at Max. So I end up spending most of my money on defense gear and use base weapons to break ennemies then all out on anyone with magic.

Also make sure you upgrade your skills, it brings powerful magic and strong attacks, I totally forgot about doing that while gathering the 8 characters, so I got thousands of points to use at once which make combats way easier.

I haven't been stuck on any boss so far, and come with at least one character at the minimum level shown but when I feel combat is too unbalanced I stop the quest and come back with the proper people or go on another quest to do some grinding.

My base team is Olberic, Cyrus and Ha'anit, the 4th spot goes to whoever quest I take. Otherwise I keep Ophilia to heal, although healing items are not too expensive to buy. Another thing is to take the time to complete side quests they reward you with some great gear and use Therion's steal to get some good healing items.

Boss fights are epic, but there's a clear shift in difficuluty between the first part of gathering the team and what comes next. I just love this game, and definitely aim at a 100% completion

1 week later
#1118 1 year ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Leveling up to be able to take on a boss is a JRPG requirement. No shame in strengthening your sword arm a bit before butting heads with Mr. Bad Guy.

I'm at the final chapters, and all I can say is make sure you level up A LOT on the way !

#1124 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Anyone play Dead Cell yet? I've been spending a lot of time on Octopath and I'm afraid that if I start a new game, i won't go back to it.

How much time have you put in?

45 hours so far, and I haven't spent much time on the sidequests, there's also a bunch of high level caves that I haven't explored and I have 8 final chapters to complete while grinding a lot since the last final boss I encountered killed my whole team with one attack !

So I would say a good 15 hours more to complete at least.

#1126 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I did some grinding on the front end. I'm at lvl 33 with my main character (H'annit) and most other characters are in the mid-upper 20s. I've just completed a few lvl 2 story lines, rather easily, at this level. Hopefully I can progress through without too much grinding any more! I gained a few levels looking for the 'job shrines' located in the middle-southern portion of the map. Got to find the rest of them now! 60 hrs into a JRPG seems rare these days! Glad to see I've got many more hours of playing this game. I hope it can hold my attention that long.

I don't really want that game to end, it's one of the few I intend to complete 100%. It's been a very very long time, probably since Final Fantasy 9, that I got so into a JRPG.

#1134 1 year ago

I've just finished Octopath traveler, well the main adventure(s) at least, now I have to finish all the side quests, and see what else comes in on the way. What a game, what a game, really a one of a kind from beginning to end !

#1136 1 year ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Damn. Your done? I've completed 3 stories. Some of these shrine bosses seem invincible. I'm at 65 hrs.

59 hours to finish the main stories, but I’m very far behind on the side quests and couldn’t kill any of the shrine bosses they are still too strong. My team is around level 62, so I’m gonna grind while completings the sides. Still a long way to go !

#1146 1 year ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Just smoked the shrine of the sorcerer! Super stoked!

Nice ! What level is your team at ? I'm still struggling on that one, but I don't know if I suck at it, or if my level is too low (or both !)

#1149 1 year ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

I was lvl 54 for 3 charwctors and 42 for 1. Just equipt all charctors with high mgk def armor. Use hired help at 3 BP (vetran warrior) and it deals almost 20k dmg. I also used olbrek and therions special at 3 BP. Just keep using BP booster and once he's stunned start unleashing heavy attacks.

Darn, I thought I was good, but I actually suck at it ! My team is all above 60 and I still get blasted badly ! I guess I'll stop grinding and actually start thinking my battle better !

#1152 1 year ago
Quoted from acedanger:

Switch has a couple of amazing games. That's why I purchased it for my trip coming up; sadly I returned it. I felt like it was cheaply made & ran really hot. Went out & got a 3DS way better especially for it being less than half the price of the Switch. I'm much happier now & IMO God of War for PS4 is unbelievable & Spiderman for PS4 looks amazing. I love the nostalgia of Nintendo but I feel in recent years they rely more on gimmicks than actual a decent solid gaming console.

It's interesting how all tastes can be found. I finished God of War and found it to be a total piece of crap with battles that goes backward to everything the series stands for, a poor story filled with cliches and a pseudo life quest that forgot its brain on the way.

Overall it mostly looks like Cory Balrog spent too much time playing the Last of Us and thought Kratos should have a son to embark in what used to be an awesome brainless savage beat'em all that he turned into a "shoot I wanted to make a smart game and thought I could become the new Martin Scorsese by writing a 100 million dollar check".

#1173 1 year ago
Quoted from Darscot:

So many of those indies are already out and at a lower price. How many games are available on competing hardware? All 3rd party titles will be superior on other platforms. Is it so wrong to wish multi platform games were as good on Nintendo as they are on other platforms? I love Nintendo just wish they would get back in the game and out of this little niche market.

They can't get out of their niche, the setback in creating strong characters, series that sells in dozens of millions is that there is very little room for third parties to hope getting some decent sales numbers against Nintendo home made games.
And at the same time Nintendo is trapped in their inhouse teams development capabilities, they just can't produce more games than what they do, and releasing more powerful hardware would require them to triple their dev team in order to produce games that match the hardware.

So they are actually right on the right spot, enough hardware power to deliver games people want, while still being sustainable from a cost standpoint.

Plus let's face it, no one makes games as good as Nintendo, they are the only one who manage to release sequels from series who are now more than 30 years old without ever sacrificing on quality. It's quite an achievement for what is still a small company compared to Sony or Microsoft.

1 week later
#1213 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

anyone try the monster hunter demo? I remember playing MH on wii and really liking it. But after playing this demo, maybe I forgot...but it plays really clunky and meh.

I've always wanted to be an MH fan, and as hard as I've tried I never got it. It's the feeling of combat that never made it for me, like the only result from hitting is a number showing up on the screen.

#1227 1 year ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Axiom Verge is half price in the eshop. It is a lot like Metroid. In that I mean that I also have no idea what I am doing in this game. lol

Does it have a map ? I'm happy to get lost in Metroid's mazes, but hate it without a map !

#1230 1 year ago

Same here, that's one that I'll wait for a demo version before deciding. It's a Ubisoft game they managed to get Fox because of their never ending support to Nintendo (and their awesome Mario /Rabbids crossover), but it is not a Starfox, and Ubi has some ups and downs with their games.

#1245 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oooh oh ohh...gotcha. I'm getting a PS4 tomorrow and want to buy Shadow of the Colossus, and saw the free Destiny 2 deal...although I don't really want Destiny 2 lol

Excellent choice, Shadow of the Colossus is an absolute masterpiece and this remake takes it to the next step, especially with how each colossi becomes more organic which in turn makes killing them even more emotional.

1 week later
#1295 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Simple question. How does one keep up with all the games hitting the consoles these days? Seriously. If I start a game, I need to finish it without starting another one, simply because I would have moved on to that other game. But to even sit down for 20+ hours on one game before moving to another game hitting the shelves seems impossible to me!
then throw pinball into the mix!
Anyway, good variety for everyone I suppose!

I do the same, I never start a game before finishing the one I started, except for the ones I don't like that goes straight back to the shelf (Ni no Kuni 2 recently, really felt it was a giant Fedex map with some arrows to follow brainlessly). Except for a very few games (BOTW, Octopath) that I complete 100%, I usually finish the main story and avoid the time consuming side quests when they are not an integral part of the main quest.

With that in mind, there's a high season of release around Christmas, and the rest of the year that has less, so I shelf new games in December and play them the rest of the year. Most of the time, I end up having finished them all around July and get back to some old games or classic from August to September.

#1319 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yes, that may be a better match for me. Do they have wireless controllers and headphones? Does the SNES mini look okay on a modern television?

Snes mini looks great on a big screen as long as you're not too close from the screen. I bought a 8bitdo wireless gamepad because the stock cables are way too short.
You can also install hakchi to add more games, It takes 5 minutes but I'm only adding snes games on it, didn't want to turn it into a multi emulator thing.

2 weeks later
#1400 1 year ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

This would kind of piss me off i think, i dunno maybe not. Nintendo has always released new versions of their handhelds a million times, but this would feel different.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10/04/new-version-of-nintendo-switch-reportedly-planned-for-2019

It started with a major hardware vulnerability, related to the Tegra X1 processor that can't be fixed with a software update. So all current switch can be jailbroken. Nintendo has no other option but to launch a new version asap.

More infos here : https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3030823/nvidias-tegra-x1-flaw-allows-all-nintendo-switch-consoles-to-be-hacked

#1402 1 year ago
Quoted from Darscot:

This is not entirely true, the vulnerability is already fixed in all currently for sale switches. They just couldn't fix switches already sold. New hardware has nothing to do with the vulnerability. You would have to be very luck to buy a new switch today that is hackable.
I won't upgrade but I wonder if Nintendo is going to go with a "Pro" version that has a little more horsepower. It's Nintendo so who knows but they did finally do it with the 3DS.

Good to know ! Mine is a first batch, so I will probably jailbreak it at some points. The goal isn't to get games for free, as I do want to pay Nintendo for their great hardwork, but I wouldn't mind having a portable gaming system to run emulators from the golden age, and the Tegra X1 is the perfect candidate to run clean emulation.

#1477 1 year ago

If you have access to a 3D printer, here’s a file for a really cool vertical holder for switch
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2720756

1 month later
#1625 1 year ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Are you playing the fractured butt whole? I've been wondering how good it is? Enlighten us.

I liked Stick of truth way more than Fractured but whole, better gameplay with a more tactical turn based system, and better South Park humor too.

3 months later
#1984 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Off topic off topic off topic off topic

Fine let's put it back on topic. I wish Nintendo managed to reach the same level of screen quality that the PS Vita has, it's the one drawback I have the switch although not as bad as the one of the Wii U, it still painful to watch.

#1986 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think the Switch screen is gorgeous. What flaws do you perceive?

The blacks are greys and the whites are pure bright, there is an overall issue with contrast. Pixels are fairly visible, especially since the screen is held closed to the eyes, and the colors (really a bummer given how colorful Nintendo games are), are not vivid.

Nintendo chose an LCD screen instead of an Oled for economic reasons, that I can understand, but it comes at the expense of image quality and is way less forgiving in close view, it would also have drastically improve the battery life (my second and last issue with the Switch).

The good news is that there are rumours around an updated switch with an Oled screen, Sony went the opposite way and released an LCD Vita after the Oled one at a lower price point.

#1988 1 year ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

So, how did that Vita screen help its sales? Oh wait....it didn’t.

The question was what's wrong with the screen, not does anyone care except me !

1 month later
#2093 1 year ago

Good surprise with Cuphead. I'm suffering way less on the Switch version that on the XBox One. I think it has to do with playing in portable mode and having my nose right on the screen. The game is all about accurate placement, which is hard on a tv screen because of the graphic mess the game turns into sometimes.

Almost at the end now, after 2 days of play; where I stayed stuck for a week on the bee boss on Xbox.

#2095 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s possible your TV has lag. When playing games, set it to a “Game” or “Fast” mode if it has it. Also turn off post processing effects like smooth-o-vision, dynamic contrast, etc. makes a world of difference in precision gaming!

I have a 2014 Sony that’s measured at 17 ms input lag, so quite a good contestant. I really think it has to do with my eyes doing better on short sight !

#2106 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I've been playing video games since I was very young starting with my parents Atari 5200. Saved up my own money and bought my own personal Nintendo so I wouldn't have to share it with my two younger brothers lol. My backstory is there to state that I am a pretty experienced console and computer gaming veteran.
However.... somehow playing BOTW makes me feel like an idiot gaming newb. I'm not much for using guides or walkthroughs but I feel that there is little or no guidance as to how to proceed at the beginning of the game. Open world concept is great but there should be some clear enough progression markers to get you going.
I just finished GOW and Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 and I'm a huge fan of how they handled guiding you along in the large open worlds. Hell I even used to play WOW and that did well moving you along.
Anyway, just wanted to vent. I'm a huge Zelda fan since the first iteration but I'm having a hard time connecting with this one.

I thought it was really ballsy of Nintendo to go against open worlds standards and make a real open game without the usual flashing dots on the map that makes it pseudo open.

And I expected it wouldn’t suit everyone, starting with me actually, I shelved the game many times before getting into it because I often lack the patience to explore but after a few hours going around without purpose things actually start coming together. I would recommend to get a kick start from a guide botw is really to good to give up.

#2118 1 year ago
Quoted from taylor34:

MGS2 is like the height of the too much movie thing in video games, I remember that game, FF-X, Xenosaga, etc had way too many cutscenes. Xenosaga especially, it had like a 45 minute unskipable scene. As long as they're skipable, there aren't too many issues with them for me.
I'm not sure I would consider BOTW having any story compared to modern games. It's like 1992ish level of story. I do have to give them credit though, they did add in some voices to the games instead of just text boxes for once. But that's Nintendo's deal, just make the same game with gameplay improvements over and over, and people love it. Kind of like Disney, if you go Disney World without any nostalgia, you scratch your head and wonder why everyone is crazy about this place...poor food service, ridiculous lines, super high prices, etc. But all the parents remember it from their childhood and love it despite that. I didn't go to Disney when I was a kid so it all seems weird to me, they get a pass on things that nobody else would. Nintendo gets the same pass on things that nobody else would be able to get away with.
Spiderman was a really good game. I think the new God of War was slightly better, which surprised me considering how much I liked Spiderman.

If you think MGS 2 had too many videos don’t play MGS 4 ! There litterally was a cutscene that lasted 45 minutes and that was one of many endless talks.

Luckily MGS 5 was way shorter on them and it was actually something critics didn’t like about it. Go figure !

#2122 1 year ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I didn't play MGS4, sounds like I didn't miss much. I did play a decent amount of MGS5 but it was super weird with the cutscenes. Frankly I have no idea what is even going on half the time in those games with the story, it's pretty bad, lol.

No you actually missed a lot not playing MGS4. Yes some cutscenes are outrageously long BUT the intro is Epic, the gameplay is IMO far more demanding on stealth than MGS5, and the ending is in my top 3 favorite in history, one that left traces long after I was done with the game.

Edit : I almost forgot to mention the soundtrack, a musical masterpiece of its own !

#2124 1 year ago
Quoted from taylor34:

If it's like the other MGS games, there's probably some super weird crap that makes absolutely no sense going on in those cutscenes, lol. I can't even remember the ones in 5, they were kind of awful unless you really like weird stuff. I did like the gameplay in 5 though, I thought it was the best of the MGS games I've played.

Ha ! I could do like the video game elite and pretend I’m uber smart and connected the dots through 20 years of MGS. But the truth is 20 years later I still have no idea about who is who and what exactly is the story, I’m not even sure that Kojima knows much about it either but watching that non sense while trying to get it is surprisingly entertaining !

#2132 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I'm tempted to get FF XII. My roommates and I played that game in shifts in college to beat it quickly, I think our PS2 was running for like a week straight.

Yeah me too. I quickly shelved it on ps2 I was totally against any changes on the traditional battle system.

But for whatever reasons (probably not having much to play) I’m drawn to giving it another chance.

1 month later
#2254 11 months ago

I started playing Mario Maker 2 last night, right when it arrived and.... slept 2 hours ! It's literally endless, the story mode features some great stages, then the online one is simply incredible.

I never had the patience or the creativity to build a stage on my own, but luckily there are a lot of people out there that have a lot of good ideas !

Anyways, for creation or to play, this Mario Maker 2 is a must have

2 months later
#2344 9 months ago

Get Astral Chains on Switch, it’s the new platinum games, the grand masters of frenetic beat’em all action with a twist.
As always they outdid themselves and came up with something radical and new.

#2347 8 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hm, I like radical and new...but I’ve never liked Platinum’s games much at all. I couldn’t get rid of Wonderful 101 fast enough. Their games tend to be so frenetic with convoluted control schemes...I’m not sure I’ll like it if it’s similar in design theory as their other games.

Yes Astral Chains fits the description, frenetic and a control scheme that "get some time to get used to" as they say in the reviews. Well truth is the control scheme is a mess for no reason, every platinum game has a weird control scheme, but their games are always so good that I get over it.

#2353 8 months ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I've been waiting for this. SNES was the most prominent system of my childhood. I have an SN30 controller, but I haven't had luck in getting it to connect yet (any tips?).
I've seriously considered selling off most of my classic games. They can be emulated in most cases, and there's even new hardware that will allow you to play over HDMI, and with a with a single cartridge (Super NT, SD2SNES). I think I may do that just to preserve as much of the experience as possible, without having to hold onto a huge CRT and a pricey collection of games.
At the same time, even on twitchy games it's hard for me to really notice the difference when properly emulated.

Snes, Megadrive, all the 16 bits era you can sell them for sure. The later generations Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2 mostly have terrible emulations still. I made the mistake of selling these games years ago thinking that emulation would improve and I still hate myself for that.

#2359 8 months ago

Yep. Amazing how there's such trouble emulating hardware from 20 years ago.
I don't really own all that much from that era. The stuff I do, I'm not really all that attached to. Most of that 3d era stuff just doesn't hold up as well as the 8bit and 16bit stuff.
One of the things that makes me hang onto the CRT is my intellivision collection. Another big one from my childhood, but I also don't have much desire to play. It will be cool to show the kids on an occasional rainy weekend, but otherwise I don't see myself playing them. The trouble is, the controllers are pretty unique.. maybe a numpad would work, but without those sleeves some games may be tough to play.

There is a big trend on mini consoles following the success of the NES and the SNES Mini, the Genesis mini is coming out in a few weeks, then the Turbografx is next in February. They are all emulation based and the result is very clean, but to me the main sell point are the controllers, very close to the original at least until now.
In the jungle of retro systems, the future Polymega (https://www.polymega.com/) looks extremely promising, especially their first demo of a saturn emulator that's hardware optimized with specific controllers for each system. I'm waiting on that one, as it might be the one for all and forever.

Since you mentionned CRT, I had a meeting yesterday at a federal building in San Francisco, they've just dismantled their old surveillance system, I saw a room that was packed floor to ceiling with broadcast grade CRT screens, I tried to enquire on how to buy these but it looks like federal property goes straight to garbage, too bad there was a fortune in there and I was happy to write a check !

#2361 8 months ago

nooo save all those PVMs! I have two for my retro gaming. i stream off a Sony PVM20M2U and its glorious to play SNES in true RGB!

I know ! It's such a pity I could have cried !

I'm keeping an eye on this gov auction site in case they show up, you'll never know
https://gsaauctions.gov

#2363 8 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

One of the Polymega dudes is a friend, and brought the system over so me and my purist picky AF friends could throw our games at it and try whatever we wanted. I was very impressed, especially with performance of Saturn games. I have a Japanese shooter, Soukyugurentai, that doesn’t even run well on a region modded US Saturn (lots of visual glitches) - it runs perfectly on Polymega! I’m gonna check out a newer version soon ...can’t wait to see what’s been tweaked!

I went back to their page, they now have a light gun that works on lcd screens, this just changed my life ! I'm definitely in now, you can tell your friend !

#2365 8 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Anyone have a recommendation for a game that’s comparable to Super Mario Oddysey? I have 4 and 5 year old boys and they love watching me play, but we’ve almost exhausted Mario. Zelda is a bit heavy for them, hoping to find another light hearted game.

Check out Spyro trilogy, it's fun to play and to watch, surely not close to Mario Odyssey's perfection, but the bar was set too high anyways.

2 weeks later
#2402 8 months ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I think it's only packed if you're a switch only owner, lol. I have all three (xbox, ps4, switch) and find this fall to be the worst one for gaming in a long time. The switch is getting a lot of games that were already on other systems, but that doesn't really do me a lot of good. There really isn't any blockbuster game this fall.

Gears 5 on Xbox is actually quite good. It’s fun, totally brain less and they kept the old style hide and shoot gameplay that’s the signature of the serie. I am having a very fun time playing it.

#2411 8 months ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

You won't see any blockbuster releases on PS4/Xbox as they are at the end of their console cycle. Next year you'll see the blockbuster games along PS5.

Death Stranding is coming out soon, The Last of Us 2 is on its way soon. There are some blockbusters still on their way on ps4.

#2423 8 months ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I know this is the switch thread but the new Last of Us 2 trailer is incredible. Naughty Dog is just on a whole other level.

It surely is incredible, the best part is that they don’t just make beautiful games, they also build fantastic gaming experiences, I’ve already placed my pre order.

And since this is the Switch topic I do hope that Nintendo learned their lesson from the Wii U and encourages AAA exclusive games from third parties. They clearly wont win the battle of pure power but the Switch can definitely do more than indie games and Nintendo in house developed games. For RPGs typically the switch is my preferred platform, I like to start a game on my tv and continue it in bed.

#2434 8 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Thanks, I'm super hyped!!!! ...and if I can take little Switch breaks, cool....if not, cool. "Raising Kid" is my new AAA game!

And before you know it you will have a skilled gaming partner !

#2447 8 months ago

I need to distract my kids for a couple of hours tonight while my wife works. I think the goose game may be the perfect solution...

If they don't play yes. If they do play Mario Party is my winner, you can spend 2 hours on it playing with the family without ever noticing it !

#2450 8 months ago

I have a 5 year old and two 2.5 year olds. I play some games with them on occasion, but it's a true test of patience for me. It can be fun for short periods of time... but something like this seems like it would keep them entertained even if I'm the only one on the controls.

The other option is Mario Kart 8. The switch has an automatic mode where the cars drives by themselves. So kids can play without being frustrated and you can play for real, gain some trophies, unlock new cars etc.

#2452 8 months ago

Nice! I have that game but didnt know that. I'll give it a shot.

When you are at car selection, press "+" and at the bottom at the box that opens you can select auto drive, auto throttle, and actually switch between joystick control and gyro.

#2461 8 months ago

I was hoping to get a new entry in the great Mario and Luigi RPG series on the Switch, but Alpha Dream the developer just went bankrupt. I guess there wasn't as many fans of the genre that I thought there would be.

It's too bad, these were really among my favorite Mario games.

#2465 8 months ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Finally picked up Cuphead as it's currently on sale for $16 in the Nintendo store. The game is tough but my 5 year old and I are having a blast playing it in co-op mode! I think this is one of the best and most addictive games on the Switch and seems like a bargain compared to full price games.

It's such a great game, true masterpiece level. I had it on Xbox One, then got it on Switch. It's a tough but fair game, I ended up finishing it which felt very satisfying.

My best advice besides learning the patterns, is to use the right equipment on each boss, it changes the difficulty drastically and can make a painful time way easier.

2 weeks later
#2514 7 months ago

My friend Pedro is on sale for 13$ on the eshop right now.
I guess the game didnt sell so well at 20 but I would strongly encourage you to give it a shot. Its a stylish shooter that encourages replayability, once mastered it turns into a beautiful choreography of blood and bullets. Truly a one of a kind.

#2518 7 months ago

a physical copy is coming nov 12th if you are into that sort of thing

Im fine with digital, I find it easier than carrying a bunch of carts and opening the slot (I dont have any nails its a pain)

#2528 7 months ago
Quoted from Darscot:

If you take away the nostalgia or never played it before its probably worth even less. It's charming in it's Nintendo factor but that is really all it brings to the table. I think it has two dungeons that I would consider clever the others are just a quick run through. The usual items and a trading side quest. We all know your taste just letting others know it's a good fun game at $30 but very mediocre at $60.

I totally agree. I played Link awakening on the gameboy and it was a B version of a real Zelda. So I had no interest in doing the remake.

#2530 7 months ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Really?
-open world games with no loading screens
-explore, explore, explore
-horseback riding with potential to get different horses, and even tame wild horses
-quests that span the world map
-upgrade your character and items to take on more powerful foes
-real-time combat
-boss battles
-random enemy mobs
-interact with numerous NPCs
-crafting
Pretty similar games, IMO. Sure, they're plenty different, but similar enough that one could be preferred over the other.

You're right, one is the mother of all, the other is the 100 million dollars plastic surgeon knock off !

#2532 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well that's interesting...I hadn't heard that. Why would a physical version perform differently than digital? I've heard of loading time differences between physical vs. digital system memory vs. digital microSD, but never actual performance.

I think he meant sales performance. An unfortunately he is right. It's a bummer though, digital content poses some clear issues in keeping the integrity of a game through time. There were a few exemples of games that have been modified long after their release because some content became politically incorrect.

#2534 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

All articles I've seen indicate it's a top seller.

Oh it is a top seller, the discussion is does it sell more in phyisical or digital copies.

#2545 7 months ago
Quoted from riggy469:

So, is My Friend Pedro worth buying? I’ve heard it’s kind of short and not much replayability?

It’s super short, 14$ seems like a decent price for it. The replayability depends if you get into the game of mass killing with style, in that case it’s probably endless, each scene has a ton of ways to be completed and doing it nicely is rewarding for the eyes.

I get back at it for some quick sessions, the game gets more enjoyable once you master the controls.

2 weeks later
#2589 6 months ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Ok. Thanks again for the info guys. I'll be watching Black Friday deals for a standard then. Thanks.

There are actually two versions of the « normal » switch. Nintendo released a new one recently with a much improved battery life, it’s the double now. And it was needed the old version really performs poorly. Also they fixed the annoying issue of the controllers losing connexion.
There will probably be some deals on the old one but consider getting the new one it’s usually referred to as v2 by retailers.

#2620 6 months ago

If you are looking for a fun and accessible game to play with your kids I strongly recommend Luigi Mansion 3.
The story mode has a coop mode after about 40 minutes of solo play and can be played using one joycon. I find it easier for kids to move the joycon to aim instead of having a second stick.
The game is fun, easy and cooperative.

1 week later
#2646 6 months ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Alien: Isolation will be out next week on Switch:

I love this game. By far the best game adaptation of the Alien movie and a fantastic survival horror game.

I think it deserves way more credit than it got.

#2685 6 months ago
Quoted from NintenBear:

I spend 100% of the time in mobile mode and find the lite to be more comfortable. But now I’m thinking maybe I should just add the lite and keep the original.

Same here, Im keeping the standard one for some few multiplayer games, mario kart and mario party mostly and buying a lite for myself. I never play solo games on tv but I’m very annoyed with the wiggly joycons and find it heavy too.

On a side note I also hope the lite doesn’t have the drift issue, 3 of my 4 joycons have it on the standard and its super annoying.

#2688 5 months ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I have replaced about 40 of those analog sticks for myself and other people. Amazon has a nice little kit with proper tools and replacement analogs for about 15 bucks. Those analogs are poor quality at best.

Thanks for the tip, Ill take a look. I wasnt looking forward to replace crappy joycons with crappy joycons for 70$

#2712 5 months ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I have replaced about 40 of those analog sticks for myself and other people. Amazon has a nice little kit with proper tools and replacement analogs for about 15 bucks. Those analogs are poor quality at best.

There are 20 different products at 15 dollars, and all of them have good and bad reviews. I guess my best shot is to trust you ! Can you tell me which one you got ?

#2716 5 months ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Sure.... here is the kit I bought-
amazon.com link »
If you already have the screwdrivers that are in the kit, if you need just the analogs, I buy these in packs of 4-
amazon.com link »
Also, after you install the new analogs- you have to recalibrate your joycons in the system menu. When I read some of the negative reviews on these, I just assume people are morons, and can't do basic things...... I have had zero issues with them.

Thanks, I've ordered a set (and will try not to be a moron installer !)

#2717 5 months ago
Quoted from Darscot:

The atmosphere is amazing, the gameplay is a complete chore, I didn't feel it was worth it at the bargain bin price I payed for it years ago. Can't imagine it would be worth it on switch.

I got it for 9,99$ on PS4, it was super close to be a fantastic game, the atmosphere is incredible, the constant pressure of the xenomorph can be felt, overall it could have been a masterpiece

BUT
The game is plagued by some mechanics non sense, the controls are a chore, and some design choices are plain dumb.
The main issue though is that the whole gameplay relies on the xenomorph intelligence and behavior. And the way he behaves is very frustrating and take off a big chunk of how awesome this game could have been. Sometimes he teleports himself so he comes in from places that he should not be able to reach, and sometimes he can see you when you are hiding. It has been established that the xenomorph can smell which would explain that but he can randomly find you hiding or not depending on.... randomness.

That is what killed the game for me, I am not against a heavy challenge, but the lack of consistency in his behavior makes it difficult to enjoy the game.

1 week later
#2723 5 months ago

Final Fantasy 12 is 50% off at Target. I kept mixed memories from my first run a decade ago but at that price and with nothing else to play for my winter trip I figured it was a decent candidate.

The battle system is the weirdest they’ve ever come up with. It’s fully automated based on player’s preset scripts. So the strategy comes in before the battle then you mostly sit and watch.

#2729 5 months ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Sure.... here is the kit I bought-
amazon.com link »
If you already have the screwdrivers that are in the kit, if you need just the analogs, I buy these in packs of 4-
amazon.com link »
Also, after you install the new analogs- you have to recalibrate your joycons in the system menu. When I read some of the negative reviews on these, I just assume people are morons, and can't do basic things...... I have had zero issues with them.

I just finished installing 2, and ordered 4 more. Fast and easy, I really wish I did that before.

#2735 5 months ago

got yoshis crafted world to play with the wife. its super easy and cutsie so she likes playing it.
if you know how to play games its way too easy lol but probably good for kids and non-gamer significant others

I've been playing with my daughter, it's super fun to play. It's an easy game for sure, but collecting every item at every level ups the challenge a bit, it's all put in a very clever manner, items are not really hidden it's more about being very attentive to everything that's on the crowded screen.

Same as Luigi Mansion 3, I recommend playing it on a TV, the switch screen is too small to see all the details.

2 weeks later
#2846 4 months ago
Quoted from taylor34:

About 2/3rds of the way through Luigi's Mansion 3, it's a good game but man they made some design decisions that really make it tedious at times. Like the cat sequence on the 8th floor, so annoying. Trying to push through it but have kind of stalled on it. I still think I like the original better as it seemed less linear.

I struggled on that cat until I figured what needed to be done after a while observing him. It was a piece of cale after that and same everytime he comes back.

I finished it in coop mode with my daugther and really thought the gameplay had more to offer than the previous one which was a simple flash the ghost, vacuum the ghost, repeat over and over.

4 weeks later
#2915 3 months ago

My discovery of the day : Golf Story. It’s a fun golf game blended with some rpg elements that reminded me of Mario Golf but with a more adult approach to the storyline.
The golf parts are well put with a lot of technique ingredients and still relying on the good old time press for power and precision.

1 month later
#2939 66 days ago

Ok I’m an official fan of Overcooked 2. The kids and I have been having a blast shouting at each other and getting the dished out in time.

Highly recommended if you need to keep the family entertained

1 week later
#3054 59 days ago

I was really excited about Ori and the blind forest, given the great reviews and my lifelong passion for all Metroidvania games.

It got me very frustrated to the point that I ended up giving up. Too bad you can’t resell eshop games I would have been happy to get 5$ back.

My main issue is with the floaty controls, especially for the jumps that require millimeter precision control. I also found it fairly hard to make the difference between what you can do and what you can’t do yet. IMO a base component of the genre.

The odd thing is I have the same problem with the controls on Panzer Dragoon, I’m a die hard fan of the Saturn game, but same as Ori the controls are floaty and totally not fit for the amount of precision the game requires.

It makes me wonder if there are some issues with the SDK or if floaty is just a common trait of modern controls.

#3068 58 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Me thinks he has a Switch of the Caribbean so just needs the controller but it doesn't make sense with his physical media comment.

Big into doesn't mean only into !

#3071 58 days ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I was hoping the second one would release simultaneously on switch since I don't have an Xbox and I'm not really looking to play it on my PC.

Ori on Switch was one more step of the new partnership between Nintendo and Microsoft. I guess Redmond is now waiting to see a Mario on Xbox ! (Or Nintendo is getting a check for 80 billion dollars)

#3104 56 days ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Did you see that Night Trap digital is only $3? Not the greatest game but the nostalgia is probably worth it for that.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/night-trap-25th-anniversary-edition-switch/

It’s still super fun to activate the traps and catch the bad guys, it doesn’t get old.
I just wish they kept the original movie rushes instead of getting that pixel soup, but I guess it adds to the nostalgia.

For 3$ I’d say jump on it

#3111 55 days ago

Thanks to whoever talked about The Touryst, I got it yesterday and I’m totally hooked up to it.
It’s challenging and relaxing, I’ve surprised myself enjoying the discovery and the slow pace. Perfect game during these times.

#3113 55 days ago

If you are looking for a fun multiplayer game with the kids, take a look at Go Vacation there are 50 sports and fun minigames, driving, skiins, roller skating you name it.

We’ve just spent 4 hours on it and back to it for breakfast tomorrow.

1 week later
#3173 44 days ago
Quoted from MightyRipples:

Just got my girlfriend a switch and we are looking for some more games to play together. The big one we have been playing is animal crossing. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Luigi Mansion 3, fun in coop mode and you really have to work together

And Snipperclips, simply the best coop puzzle game I have ever played. It’s inventive, challenging and really rewarding when you find your way out of each stage

#3181 41 days ago
Quoted from MightyRipples:

I picked up Luigis mansion 3 a while back and just forgot about it really, is it in the base game or do you have to buy the “multiplayer dlc”?
Also love snipperclips, I fear we are getting to the end of the game so might have to get the dlc on it too haha

It's funny how they made coop without even talking about it ! Once you get Gooigi (the green version of Luigi), there's a coop mode that shows up in the options in game. Should be within your first 30mn of play or so.

1 month later
#3241 10 days ago
Quoted from investingdad:

My daughter asked if we could Animal Crossing. After reading up on it I concluded that the game made no sense and seemed pointless.
But, whatever.
After 4 days I'm hooked on the damn thing. Daughter has her own island, as do I. My son is a resident on mine.
The designers understand well how to create a cycle of rewards in carefully measured doses.

It's exactly the oddity and the uniqueness of Animal Crossing. A game with no purpose, no story and no end that has hooked up a huge number of people.

I have to buy a second switch, my 2 kids are totally into it!

#3247 7 days ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

A friend of mine was able to secure a Switch for me. I plan on picking it up in a week or two. I have been out of the video game fold since the Wii. Wanted to get a Switch so my family can play Mario Kart. During the quarantine my kids have really enjoyed the Mario Karts from the Snes to the Wii.
Each Joy Con is considered a controller, correct? I see the Joy Cons have reliability issues? Should I buy a few pro controllers? Screen protector?
Any recommendations for family/kid friendly games?
Thanks!

Yes pretty much all the joy cons will have that drift issue sooner or later. Supposedly Nintendo now fixed them for free, but post virus closing they have a looping wait list.
I, like many others, ended up buying a bunch of replacement sticks on Amazon (15$ a pair) and I replace them myself. It's a bit tedious at first but I got used to it after replacing more than I hoped for.

Buying pro controllers is an option but some multiplayer games (Mario Party typically) only work with joy cons, so one way or another you should have 4 joy cons.

And yes you should also put a screen protector, the dock is tight and you will use it a lot, there's a risk of scratching the screen everytime you take it in and out of the dock.

Truth is it's a great game system but there are a lot of engineering mistakes, I'm not confident we'll still be able to play the switch in 20 years.

#3249 7 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Your dock is tight? mm, even with my screen protector, the dock/switch seem fine. I have a 1st release unit.
I would agree on the joycons. I don't have any spare sets yet, but I never take them off my unit. The only time I remember was playing snipper clips with my wife at launch. I'll probably get another set to have lay around for party games though. OR if they finally get some cool shooter games rolling out.
The pro controller is the only way to play serious games. Using the joycons in a grip, does not do it for me. I dislike the joysticks on it.

The dock is tight for the kids !

#3257 7 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I’ve had 8 Joy Cons for 3 years (I like all the colors lol) & none have drift problems.
I did however have an issue where the “nub” on a few Joy Cons that locks onto the Switch wore down & they would slide off easily. I got a cheap repair kit online with metal replacement nubs, and now they lock in great.

Send me a pair ! I have 6 joy cons all of them had drift issues.
At some points I thought it was because the kids were mistreating them so I kept a pair of myself, but no luck either.

But at 5$ a replacement stick and 10 minutes of work I start seeing the job like pinball maintenance.

#3260 7 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Did you recalibrate the controllers after replacing them?

Yes, I always try to recalibrate before replacing them and I do it after too. I don't have any issue with the pro controller so it's the one I end up using the most it's just not as comfy in portable mode.

Quoted from Xenon75:

Where is the drift originating from and why does replacing the stick resolve it?

It's a hardware issue that's been happening since day 1, Nintendo hasn't managed to resolve it, even on the V2 and one the light so it must be deeper than that.

They fix joy cons for free now that's the only remedy they offer, so the alternate option if you don't want to wait is to buy replacement kits on Amazon and do it yourself.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 249.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 66.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 43.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 124.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adol75.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside