q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1872 5 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

OH MY GOD I'M PLAYING THUNDER BLADE PROPERLY WITH BOTH SWITCH ANALOGUES AND THE SHOULDER BUTTONS I'M HAVING A RETRO ORGASM

Wow.. I remember my first beer .. lol

1 year later
#2953 4 years ago
Quoted from Gamer85:

Yea sorry, BOTW was a total dud for me. Maybe ill pick it up again down the road if I get bored but imo, thats not Zelda game. Not looking for that kind of grind. From what ive read, it gets better after 10-20 hrs. To me, having to wait that long for a game to be good, isnt a good game.

I felt the same way about BOTW for a while - it seemed SO different from the typical Zelda game. Then my wife and son picked it up. Man, was I wrong!

#2955 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

it's funny that you posted this right before this happened to me:
I have a friend that works @ target so I was making my way to his store around 9am on friday. as I was walking to the electronics department, there was a young couple walking in the same direction in front of me. they both weren't wearing jackets (it was in the upper 30s outside) and had long nametag lanyards hanging out of their pockets so I attributed this to the fact that they were target employees.
as I reached the electronics department, the employee there if she could help me find anything. I told her that I was there to pick up animal crossing. upon hearing that, the couple in front of me (which were proceeding past the dept.), turned around and informed me that the gamestop in the strip mall next door was open and that they had animal crossing in stock and that I should buy it there.
I respectively told them that I was here and they had the games (and target was giving a free journal with the game), so why would I leave to go to gamestop? their response was that gamestop was open early and that they had the game IN STOCK! again, I replied, why would I go there when I came here to get the game and target obviously had the game in stock?
they continued to argue with me that I should give my business to gamestop. I can't believe their audacity (and the fact that target's security didn't come and throw them out of the store)
this was really a cheap and low down thing to do and makes me view gamestop in even a darker light than before

Wait, I dont' get it. Were they actually Gamestop employees?

#2966 4 years ago
Quoted from Gamer85:

Oh wow, thats a change for sure and id agree, those employees sound horrible.
It is certainly a much different store now. Its filled with all sorts of crap now besides games. Back when I worked there, it was mainly just games. People would always come in to chat about the games and we were happy to do that and of course offer recommendations.
For your situation, I would do the same! And to be honest, I dont visit them too often either myself. I feel like an old man going in there these days ha.

Gamestop is in terrible financial trouble, I think because so many people are buying games online, and they have competition from Target, Walmart,etc. That's also why they have all the other crap in there -figures and whatnot. Nobody cares about the artwork or packaging of a game enough to drive out to the store, and hiring jerk employees is only going to make people stop going entirely. Same thing happened with CDs & music stores. I wouldnt' be surprised if Gamestop goes out of business during this shutdown

#2982 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Anyone have any recommendations on a game that is similar to BOTW in terms of open world and puzzle dungeons? I'm trying to find something to hold me over until BOTW2. For reference, I'm not a fan of the anime style games. Is Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim close?

curious about this too.. I have not seen a lot of games like BOTW lately. Shadow of the Colossus on PS3/4 is pretty awesome, but far more about the experience than the "stuff"

5 months later
#3455 3 years ago

You know what would be great, is a re-do of Skyward Sword to NOT USE THE STUPID WII CONTROLS. That would be awesome. That is all.

#3462 3 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

It's been so long, but I enjoyed Twilight Princess and Resident Evil 4 on the o.g. Wii, especially aiming and shooting bow and guns. Is the complaint about swinging the nunchuk for sword slashes?

I was kinda joking - we just don't have the Wii set up anymore, and we had a hard time getting it going when my son was little, and I'd like to play Skyward Sword again! Nintendo has to rework SS to use regular controls for it to work on the Switch.

#3464 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Not necessarily... Switch joycons have motion sensors. Skyward Sword switch port will come with Nintendo Labo 2: cardboard swords, shields, boomerangs and bombs

Oh right! good point

2 years later
#4264 11 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Games were $60+ 20-30 years ago. Game development costs have gone up significantly since then. Consumers not being able to move past the $60 price point is one reason why DLC, season passes, and free to play offerings are now so big. I'll happily pay $70 for a new Zelda game that will offer 50+ hours of high quality story based gameplay versus the same price for a yearly Call of Duty release with a 4 hour campaign and a rinse / repeat multiplayer offering.
[quoted image]

100% accurate. Development has also gotten easier with the multitude of tools available - but the amount of post-implementation tweaking, testing and remediation has skyrocketed after games have gotten so complex. Also, HUUUGE waste at the companies when they change direction 100 times. Nintendo has a completely different development approach to most other companies, and the deep pockets (at least on Zelda) to make the games absolutely perfect.

#4282 11 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks for the heads up. I was debating on “upgrading” to one of these from an original Switch but not now. Will wait for a true successor to the Switch which hopefully is only a year or two away.
A Switch 2 or whatever has to be a year or two a way at this point right? The hardware in the current Switch is rather old.

More like 5. Nintendo does not move fast. Although the appearance of a second Zelda game on a platform usually means it’s nearing the end. But console lifetimes are a lot longer than they used to be

#4285 11 months ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

But BOTW was originally made for the Wii U then adapted for the Switch. Maybe that means the Switch might see another Zelda before a new console launches?

Crap, I forgot about that. I even have the Wii U version somewhere!

#4286 11 months ago
Quoted from Darscot:

They announced there will be no new hardware for the next fiscal year so that is April at the earliest but realistically the best we could hope for is it to be on shelves for black friday after that.

I still think it’s super unlikely - the Switch sales are starting to dip, and Nintendo STILL can’t keep up with demand due to supply chain issues. They wouldn’t want to repeat the PS5 debacle. That may have worked out for Sony eventually due to FOMO, but that would be a big ass risk

#4293 11 months ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Looking at other sales histories, crazy how bad Gamecube did. Excluding the Switch in my Nintendo rankings for now, GameCube was my favorite console after the SNES.

No kidding? That console had some astonishingly god games. Great for emulation too

Picked up an OLED for tomorrow. Kinda wish I hadn’t bothered since I rarely remove it from the dock!

#4296 11 months ago
Quoted from Sandman33:

Went to Gamestop to pick up a regular copy and found out that I was accidentally there about an hour early. There were a few people in line waiting for the store to open. They were waiting on the collectors edition that I didnt even know existed. I ended up getting one before they sold out.
[quoted image]

Mine just showed up from Amazon, regular edition. What’s in the collectors box?

#4304 11 months ago
Quoted from Sandman33:

The poster is made from steel and I think you can use those pins like cufflinks if you ever wear a dress shirt. Not bad for 50 bucks more.

Damn, pretty nice! That reminds me, I wanted to get my hands on some of those books Nintendo put out a few years ago

2 months later
#4343 8 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

I got the Links Awakening remake back upon release and the stuttering drove me nuts to the point I quit before solving the first dungeon.
Recently got back into it thanks to Switch emulation.. you still get a little stuttering at first as it builds the shader cache, but afterwards the game runs a rock-solid 60fps on ryujinx.

Runs BotW like a champ too!

1 week later
#4364 8 months ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Given the sales numbers, hard to imagine they’ll drop this format so long as Fujibayashi is still on board.

They issued a statement specifically saying that "this is the format for Zelda going forward." Until it isn't, I guess. I do agree the story takes a bit of a back seat in this game, but it makes it no less compelling IMO. There's also only so many times they can tell basically the same story "Ganon destroys Hyrule, Zelda is lost/sleeping/travelling through time, Link saves the day". I wouldn't mind a re-telling of say LTTP expanded out and perhaps from some different perspective - or hell, a hybrid of Ocarina and one of the other games, where you can experience that other game and see changes in the future as you make decisions in the past.

#4367 8 months ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Weird that both botw and totk don't have the tri force involved in the story

I do agree with that

#4368 8 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don’t think the next one will be built on this world & story. I think it’ll be big and open world, but they’ll go for something totally new and unique.
As for TOTK, I think I might actually like BOTW more. The exploration felt more interesting. Rather than traversing the land and finding things organically, in TOTK I find myself warping around a lot, or going up to the sky and then diving to where I want to go. Feels a bit more like I’m checking off boxes than being one with the world. Building things is neat, but I haven’t gotten super into it like some people did. I haven’t made any mecha robots yet. I’m at the point where I could go fight Ganon, but I’m just doing side quests right now.

I could have written this exact post. Have basically everything for Ganon but I feel like I'm getting my ass kicked too frequently still. I have the maxed out regular armor, and the mad god armor or whatever it's called, but still keep getting run over by Gleeoks.

I do think TOTK is the superior game, but I think a lot of people are saying BOTW did have a more engaging story. I bought Xenoblade 3 the same day as TOTK.. I think Ive played that for about 2 hours, tops. And that has a MUCH more deep story. But JRPGs can be a little dull at the beginning, whereas TOTK did a great job pulling you in quickly.

#4370 8 months ago
Quoted from vikeking27:

Xenoblade 3 does start off a bit slow but is a very rewarding story overall - as with many JRPGs there is a bit of convoluted stuff in there, but so many really amazing moments. One of my favorites (along with the other two). Definitely get back to it at some point!

I hear ya!! I’m so early in the game there’s not much happening yet

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey?tu=Rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.