q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

634 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Rarehero. You are on page 1 of 3.
#17 6 years ago

It's just absolutely phenomenal.

$60 on a $300 system.

WTF do we buy pinball machines?

Nintendo is killing it. BOTW, Splatoon 2, ARMS, and now Mario Odyssey. Plus all he great indie games - too many games on my Switch. Not enough time in the day.

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Hope they make Conkers bad fur Day remake for switch. Im in on my NIB video game this year!

Rare owns Conker & Microsoft owns Rare....not gonna happen. I love Conker on N64 still, tho.

#18 6 years ago

Good to see a bunch of happy Nintenbros!

Feel free to add me to your Switch friends list!

IMG_1246 (resized).JPGIMG_1246 (resized).JPG

#24 6 years ago

I'm enjoying the picture taking feature.

IMG_2228.JPGIMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2229.JPGIMG_2229.JPG

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Going to order one tonight. Mario & Zelda for me and Splatoon 2 for the kid-0 and me. Has anyone played Splatoon 2?

I have 140 hours on Splatoon 2. Fun and addictive! ARMS is awesome too....and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe! Just get everything lol.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Greg, have you played splatoon 1? If so, how do you like splatoon 2 comparatively? Same with new maps and weapons more or less? I love splatoon 1. Not getting switch at this time but may if my son asks for one for Xmas.

Of course, I love Splatoon 1. Splatoon 2 kills it. Similar, but refined in almost every way. Online battles are more fun, IMO...the new levels really force you into tight battles that can turn on a dime. The Salmon Run mode is a totally new online cooperative mode that's super fun and challenging.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

I was just eyeing up WiiU’s on eBay...
Now I want a switch!
Late 30’s... HUGE Nintendo aficionado. They make great games, and great games do not necessarily need all the bling of cutting edge technology. Pinball is an obvious parallel.

There's this his narrative that Nintendo systems are "weak", but do we play specs and teraflops or do we trust our eyes and minds? All of the systems now can do so much, it all comes down to art direction, sound design, gameplay. No "PC-master-race" maniac can convince me that Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, & ARMS aren't gorgeous amazing games. I don't care what your PC can do - it doesn't have these games, and these games look and play phenomenally. There's nothing "bad" about these graphics. Personally I find the mega-realistic games of PC/Xbox to be oft-putting and ugly. The games all look the same. Mannequins with pores and hair and creepy eyes. Or, guns floating in the frame in grey/drab backdrops. You can have it. Nintendo is making beautiful games that embrace being games.

On top of that, the hybrid nature of the system works perfectly and is something no other console can offer. I take my Switch to work every day. I love that I can take a quick game break exactly where I left off on my TV the night before. I love that I can remove the Joy-Cons, hand them to a friend and play ARMS, Street Fighter or Mario Kart. I love that I can take it to a friend's house and have an 8 player Splatoon war. I love that I can play it in bed....and any way you play it, it's a high quality modern experience.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

All true Greg but I do feel like the WiiU really missed the mark. Even then, the games still looked great so many have a point when they feel like the gimicky control pad ruined the system. However, Nintendo has always competed on graphics until the WiiU came out. Even Resident Evil 4 on the Cube was known as one of the best looking and best games ever. Then with the Wii and WiiU, Nintendo just missed the mark. Even though the Wii sold millions, it left out the core gamers and instead Grandma and Grandpa were playing bowling. Not having HDMI and 1080P definitely hurt the WiiU. But, I get your point, in the end it's all about the games.
Anyway, one thing we are in agreement on...Nintendo is back!! Especially if XBox and Playstation keep putting out 90% first person shooters.

You're confusing the Wii & the Wii U, which is why the Wii U failed - no one understood what it was. Wii U was a new system, 1080p & HDMI. That's why it was relatively easy for them to port Zelda BOTW & Mario Kart 8 from Wii U.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Nintendo is still #3 and always will be, there's a reason for that and I could explain but I don't want Rarehero to hang himself Wii and the WiiU were disasters, I don't know anyone who owns a Switch and I doubt I will, becasue you know there adults, sorry I had to. I can't wait for the backlash from this comment, go.

Ooph, how much wrong is in this post.

Adults know the difference between "they're" and "there".

Everyone I play Switch with is an adult.

Wii was a smash success, it was Nintendo's best selling console ever.

Wii U failed due to a horrible name and bad marketing. I really enjoyed it though - it had enough great games to make me happy.

People who love to harp on the failure of Wii U forget Nintendo has made money hand over fist from dominating the portable market. The DS & 3DS have been absolutely prolific, with tons of quality software.

My Nintendo stock has been soaring, too. It's all good in Nintendoland. Your loss.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

The thing I hate about the new zelda is that the whole world looks like it's encompassed in fog.

Well, that just wrong. You can see far off into the distance and all the mountains and stuff you can actually get to. Only time it's foggy is if the weather is bad and it's intentional.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

My eight year old is a huge gamer. She loves her WiiU and the lego city police game, she's completed the JP game and the Lego game twice now but still goes back to play them again. Plays it for hours a day. She enjoys Zelda and a few others as well. My biggest complaint is the range of games available.... basically nothing...
I showed her some videos of the switch last night, guess Santa will be bringing one.

There are still lots of good Wii U games she could enjoy. There are 3 Zeldas - Windwaker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and BOTW. Kirby & the Rainbow Curse, Captain Toad, Yoshi's Wooly World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Rayman Legends, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, New Super Mario Bros U, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Maker.

Wii U rocks! In 10 years all the retro collectors will be paying tons for them.

#49 6 years ago

If you are used to bad graphics than that's all you'll know. Play any other modern open world game, it looks much clearer than Zelda. There is a noticeable fog in Zelda, it is that way on purpose because the hardware can't render everything.

You're looking at specs. I'm looking at art. Nothing about Zelda is "bad graphics". Looks like a beautiful painting in motion, with excellent character animation & AI. It's a pure joy to look at. Why is it that I can see Hyrule Castle and Gannon from miles and miles away? Clear as day. No fog.

#53 6 years ago

Well I fully 100% disagree. Not sure what you are seeing there, but the whole game looks foggy. I think you just got used to it. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the game and my kids do also. But I would love to see this game get a graphical overhaul. I suspect the next Zelda will look even better since this one was probably made to downplay to the Wii U capabilities.

Maybe we're using different terms here. When I think "fog", I think of N64. That truly had fog to hide the distance and draw in. I'm not seeing anything resembling fog in this game unless it's an intentional weather effect. When the weather is sunny I can see far off into the distance miles and miles away. There's some pop in of things like bushes and trees - is that what you're talking about?

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm sure they are.

We know you live a life exclusively of gore, horror, death and misery...and R-rated 80's movies. Those are your tastes, but it has nothing to do with being an adult.

#62 6 years ago

Just a few more pics to show what I mean...
I think people just get used to it. But man, it could look so much better. Still love the game overall though. It's the first game that I have felt completely overwhelmed at the scope of how big the world is and how long it would take to explore it all.

I've never seen the game look that hazy. Looks like someone jacked up the gamma on their display. Those images look processed to the extremes on either end. In any case, the look of Zelda is absolutelh an atrtistic choice. It's meant to look painted, not realistic. Realistic graphics all loonexactly the same - there's zero artistic interpretation or unique art direction. Zelda looks like an animated movie with intentionally cel shades characters and painterly backgrounds. It's pre art, and gorgeous. The reason I love Nintendo is that their games don't follow the generic realism trends of other developers. I like games with style.

#66 6 years ago

That's exactly what it looks like when I play it. I've hooked it up to 2 different TVs and a computer monitor. It looks identical. No one doctored those originals or turned up the gamma. I'm about to go take a video on my tv to show you, but that would require too much effort and you wouldn't believe it anyway. I think anyone can easily see I proved my point.

I just turned it on and looked at it. What you call "fog" and "bad" I call artistic intent. They're going for a soft artistic look. Many Miyazaki movies and anime have this same style. Does Mario look foggy to you?

#70 6 years ago

Here are some grabs from the recent hit movie "Your Name". Is this FOG or ART?

This is a style. One chosen by Nintendo for Zelda. Zeldas style is art, not tech issues.

IMG_2233.JPGIMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2234.PNGIMG_2234.PNG

#73 6 years ago

Mine does 4k, I am excited to get an Xbox One X to see how good the games will look on it.

You know how they'll look. Creepy mo-cap mannequins with pores and hairs. Realistic gravel and dirt. Non-art.

I'd rather look at Zelda all day long. Even Windwaker HD on Wii U. ART WINS!!!

#75 6 years ago

I'd agree on that, the majority of modern games just are not that fun. Nintendo games are just pure fun. But then again, I don't want to always play a massive open world game, to much of something isn't good either. There are certain games on the Xbox One X that will look amazing and I would not have as much fun. One example, we purchased a lego game a few years ago on the Wii U. The graphics looked so bad we returned it to gamestop (it was a used copy) and got the Xbox One version, the difference was night and day, the Xbox One version looked so much better and the enhanced graphics made the game a lot more fun to play.

Open world games are too much of a commitment. BOTW is the first one I've played all the way thru since GTA3, and it was a pure joy from start to finish. I want to play it again. I don't need tons of them tho. I'm skipping Skyrim.

Ports always seem to suffer. Nintendo knows how to optimize games for their hardware. You've got Mario Kart, Odyssey, Splatoon 2, ARMS running at 60fps and (mostly) 1080p ...while Sonic Forces is 30pfs while 60 on other consoles. Had it not been a quick cash grab port, it would prob look comparable to the other consoles. Hopefully Nintendo will share these optimization tricks with 3rd parties as we move into year 2 of Switch. Personally I'm more than satisfied with 1st party Nintendo titles and the occasional retro style eShop games ...but I'd buy "big" 3rd party games if they put in the effort to make them awesome.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Wow are you ever a babbling brook of bullshit. NES was great, SNES and N64 loved them all but since then its been pretty much crap.

Fuck you. You're 100% wrong, as always. Your loss on missing out on great games. Now get the fuck out of here, fun-sucking troll.

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

good to know. I've read nes statements saying there may have been a faulty run. As always my luck. Still a great game hand held.

Have you updated the system and game? One of the first Zelda updates fixed frame rate issues. Connect to the internets!!

#97 6 years ago

I just went to the Portland Retro Game Expo - it was huge and people pay a lot for old systems and games. Right now Dreamcast games are going through the roof. If trends like that continue, in 10
years or so, Wii U will be the "rare" failure of a system that the retro collectors will want. Especially if all the good games aren't ported to Switch.

#101 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm hoping for a strong black friday deal to pick up a switch for my family.

They're flying off shelves. They don't need to Black Friday Switches...they'll sell on their own. Nintendo just announced their BF items. A green 2DS with Zelda Ocarina 3D (lol) installed for $80 & a Zelda BOTW edition with a book and map.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Dang.
I'll probably get one anyway, we just have so much money in the Wii U setup, I hate to have to buy a bunch of joy cons and accessories again.

I'm addicted to Joy-Cons. I don't even need them but I bought Neon Red/blue, the Neon Yellows, and the Splatoon Neon Green/Pinks lol

Compared to pinball it's cheap as fuuuuuck.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Haha you got that right about it being cheaper than pinball.
Can you tell me more about the joy cons? How many do you need to play like a 4 player game of mario kart? Does each person need a right and left?

Nope, that's the beauty of Joy-Con...turn it to the side and snap on the strap piece, and it's a stand alone controller. So, out of the box, you can play 2p Mario Kart. Another pair would let you play 4p. However, if you want a fuller controller, you can snap the left and right onto a grip and it becomes a more traditional style controller. Or - you can use a Pro controller for a regular console style controller.

Then there are games like ARMS which do something even crazier with the "thumbs up grip" for really fun motion control fighting!

joy-con-1 (resized).jpgjoy-con-1 (resized).jpg
joycongrip (resized).jpgjoycongrip (resized).jpg
Nintendo-Switch-pro-controller-650x366 (resized).jpgNintendo-Switch-pro-controller-650x366 (resized).jpg
gfcf6dsncjyy (resized).jpggfcf6dsncjyy (resized).jpg

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Cool, thanks for the info! We have a lot of the pro controllers for the wii u at the moment, we all like playing with those.
How do you normally configure yours? With the grip in the middle of left and right joycons?

If I'm playing at home by myself, I generally just use the Pro controller, but I think the Joy-Cons on the grip are pretty comfy and are just about the same thing.

If I'm playing Snipperclips w/ my girlfriend or a group of friends, we use individual Joy-Cons.

If I'm at work, I've played Mario Kart & Mario Bros. with a friend each w/ a single Joy-Con. I brought my Switch to a family get together, set it up, and 4 kids played Mario Kart split-screen for hours, each with single Joy-Cons.

If I'm playing ARMS, I like using motion control...so 2 for me, and 2 for whoever I'm fighting.

If I'm playing anything in portable mode, I just have the Joy-Cons snapped onto the Switch and play that way.

The Switch is super versatile...you can kinda do whatever you want with the controls!

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I agree this is a home run!!!
Switch titles are really lacking but with zelda and mario they should sell tons of consoles.

They just crossed 200 games on the eShop...that's pretty damn impressive for only launching in March!

Here's what I have so far:

Super Mario Odyssey
Splatoon 2
Zelda BOTW
ARMS
Rayman Legends
Mario Kart 8 Dlx
Tiny Barbarian
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap
Cave Story+
Mario Bros. Arcade Archives
Ultra Street Fighter 2
Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero
Sonic Mania
Pan-Pan
Snipperclips
Snake Pass

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I wish nintendo would give up on the horrible inaccurate motion controls. For example: Arms, with motion controls is a terrible tech demo about wildly flailing your arms. With a standard controller it's a really good nuanced fighting game -- because you have accuracy.

Totally disagree. ARMS motion control is INCREDIBLY accurate...and so amazingly satisfying. I can kick ass online in ARMS and the character does exactly what I want...it's not tech demo, it's the real deal...SUPER ACCURATE and TIGHT controls in motion. I fucking hate it with a standard controller...feels completely weird with it...I can't do shit!!!. With motion, it's totally intuitive and crazy fun...the only buttons I have to think about is jump and dash, punching is fun as F by PUNCHING -and you can curve your punches individually -which you can't do with a Pro controller.

Motion aiming on Splatoon is killer as well.

But hey, Nintendo gives you the OPTION to play it however you want. Don't like motion, play regular style....but I do not want them to give up with awesome motion - I wouldn't have bought ARMS if it was regular controls only....with motion it's the freshest fighting game I've played in forever.

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Go buy BOTW well worth the price have not played a Zelda this good in a long time........ How was SF2 for switch? Worth buying?

It's overpriced, but we're pinball maniacs so what's $40? I like the redrawn HD graphics and new music, but you can play it classic style if you want. Controls with Joycons are surprisingly good, even tho purists will balk. Violent Ken & Evil Ryu are overpowered so online play is annoying if opponents pick them. It's not perfect, but it's fun to have a portable SF2 of this quality.

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

I will most likely wait on a big price drop for sf2 or pick one up used down the road. I need to log some hours in BOTW and Splatoon 2 first!

Toys r us is having Buy 1, Get one 40% off right now. But yeah dude just play BOTW and Splatoon. On my Switch stats, I've got 180 hrs on Zelda, 140 on splatoon, and 5 on Street Fighter lol. I need to get back on Splatoon.

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from Crashnburn:

I have the Switch and playing BOTW on a 27" ACER Predator Monitor in 2K however the switch is a 720p resoultion and the monitor is upscaling but it still looks great.

The Switch is 1080p docked, 720p portable.

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Just picked up a switch and SMO this weekend. Such an amazing little device with excellent build quality and aesthetics. During a cut seen, Mario's airship moved left to right across the screen. I could actually feel the rumble go left to right in the controller. Was an out loud " Oh Wow..." moment. Such attention to detail.

HD Rumble is a lot of fun! In Mario you can go into the settings and crank it up to "Strong", too - It's even better that way, IMO!

I love the HD Rumble in ARMS - if you play with motion, you feel different rumble FX in each hand...you feel the arms "stretching" individually, and the punches individually. It's great!

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

My buddy asked me what I thought about the switch, he's had it day 1.
First thing I said was the rumble is nuts. I remember the talk about HD Rumble but I can honestly say I'm impressed.
been loving the switch. I love how I can pull it out of the dock and its ready to play. Was nice to collect a few moons while waiting for the wife to get ready.
Think I have to break down and buy Mario kart. Not many games id double dip on but I freaking love mariokart8 on wii u

Yeah, I had MK8 on Wii U & the DLC....F it, I double dipped. It's the definitive version of the game, the resolution is better, the new characters and battle modes are legit new content....and you can play it on the go. DO it!

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

What the heck do you do with those big metal blocks? So much to explore...

Don't want to spoil it for you! You'll find out it eventually.

On another note, I bought Bulb Boy on the eShop since it's on sale for $6. It's a "cute horror" point & click game with really beautiful art. Worth $6, I think. There's another beautiful puzzle/adventure game called Pan-Pan that's only $5 ...I really like that one, too.

#158 6 years ago

Dang! Rayman at $20 is a steal. I'm not gonna wait in line - but if I can show up later in the day and get 1-2 Switch & Bomberman for $24 each, I'll buy them.

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Is 1-2 switch actually fun?

For $24? Sure!

It's basically a Joy-Con tech demo, but it's fun as a party game. It's really neat how there's a game where you have to guess how many marbles are in your Joy-Con. As you turn it or shake it - it actually feels like there are a certain number of balls rolling around inside. If you tilt it slowly, you can feel them hitting against each other.

#172 6 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Any idea if digital games purchased on Wii stay with your account and can be played on Switch?

WiiWare games probably won't, it's possible they might do something for Virtual Console games tho. No one knows yet.

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

How many moons does everyone have? I'm at Bowser's castle on the moon and only have 112.

580 or so?

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

What is this sorcery?

Looks like butt bounce jump, hat throw, another butt bounce jump then a bounce off the hat, then wall jump, hat throw, and dive! Phew!!!

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I’m gonna go snag doom tomorrow to have a cool FPS and show support for more good games ported! Wolf2 soon too!
I️ think I️ just hit 450? Moons about. I’ll try to 100% so it will be a bit and I️ may ask for the guide for Xmas to help

If you can't find any more moons you can give Hint Toad 50 coins or use an Amiibo to mark a Moon spot on the map for you....although there are a few marked spots that have me stumped at the moment!

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm at like 85 and haven't even started on the 4th world. Only missing the last 8 on Tostarena(sp?), and the game refuses to give me any more hints so... *middle finger* right at ya, Nintendo. I'm not going to aimlessly run around for hours on end. It's bad enough that the 'hints' are only the location where the thing can actually spawn. I realized last night that Mario 64 had a much better system, because at least the name of the section would give you SOME general idea of what the hell you're looking for. SMO just marks it on a map, and it could be anywhere vertically in the level, or hidden in an interior location that's much bigger than the immediate area outside where it shows up on the map? Super irritating.

They'll give you more hints after you finish the story. Don't obsess over collecting everything first. Get to
Bowser and "finish" the game - and then TONS more opens up.

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Probably not. You know how Nintendo likes to have you buy-rebuy-rebuy-rebuy their games...

Reggie didn't rule it out when asked about it. The problem in the past was that purchases were tied to your console - starting with Switch, they're tied to you My Nintendo account. So - you could put your account on multiple Switches and download your games on all of them. So - if they did let you have your old VC games on Switch, they'd need to figure out some way to let people do it.

#198 6 years ago

Hey did you guys see the Zelda update - they added a new side quest where you can get the outfit from Xenoblade 2. Nice little surprise to have a new thing to do while waiting for the Champions Ballad DLC to drop!

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Yeah, very much like XCOM. A lot of people call it XCOM Lite, and while that is accurate in some areas, the strategy is just as deep IMO. The damage system and unit/weapon types are obviously more limited. If you like XCOM I can't imagine not liking it.

I hate strategy games, but it's Mario so I want to love it!!! Oh well, I've got Odyssey.

#202 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Nobody is perfect

My brain just glazes over. I just wanna run and shoot and do all the action in real time. I don't get turn based stuff at all.

#206 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

You need doom!

I generally don't like first person shooters, I hate the original Doom, but I have to admit this new Doom looks pretty slick. I do like Bio Shock & Metroid Prime - I might actually like this version of Doom.

#209 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I️ figured since you wanted a run n gun. It is a fast paced run shooter. Good game to tide you over until Metroid.
Otherwise wolf2 is coming next month? I forgot when.

I don't necessarily want a run and gun. I just like action based not turn based. It's why I love Zelda but won't play Final
Fantasy. As far as shooting goes, Splatoon 2 pretty much has me covered. That's the perfect shooter for my sensibilities.

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I have friends who make fun of the DK64 game because all you do is collect map pieces and bannana for no reason. Those same people love Super mario Odyssey. I dont under how one sucks, but when mario does it.. its ok.

I couldn't get until DK64 because it's so confusing where the hubs end and the actual levels begin. It's really convoluted - in a platformer, I just wanna jump into the levels and go. DK64 takes me like 45 min just to find a level! Mario's design is tight. There are a lot of hidden moons but you're never confused as to the overall progress and goals. I love that there is NO hub world. Just giant levels to explore and play in.

#231 6 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I bought the Switch and Mario over the weekend. Having a toddler who goes to the shelves and pulls down all my disc-based games and opens them, I decided this was going to be a digital download only console for me.
POTENTIAL SPOILER BELOW:
I didn't look up much about the game prior to buying, and I was super surprised and excited to see the T-Rex!

Not a spoiler, the T-Rex was the first thing shown in the trailer & he's on the box art too.

#235 6 years ago
Quoted from peaceboy666:

8/10.def not 10/10 game

I give it a 46 billion out of 10. So there.

#242 6 years ago
Quoted from Avi8er:

Some possible good news (for me at least), Jeff Kaplan (the director of overwatch) has confirmed that, "I'm loving the Switch! My second favorite gaming platform of all time is the 3DS. Getting OW on the Switch is very challenging for us. But we're always open minded about exploring possible platforms." How do you all feel about this and other big title games possibly getting ported over to the switch?

The reason I like Nintendo is for Nintendo games. I'm not a fan of PC games, their "scene", or their aesthetic. If I wanted to play those games I'd just get a PS4.

#258 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

"require" is a dubious word. Certainly didn't "require" one when I held it sideways to play VC games, and there's no technical reason the nunchuck itself needs the IR camera. Might get real janky for them having to fix certain sections of the game to work well, specifically things that might've been handled with the IR bar (reticles onscreen)
There's nothing in the JoyCons that would need the IR that a wiimote can't already do aside from HD rumble. Might not be as precise as the gyros in a Joycon, but wiimotes did have accelerometers for things like flick/shake detection.
*edit* I guess I should've been more specific. I only wanted to use a wiimote really as a sideways Joycon functions, not as a full replacement for Joycons.

One of the reasons Wii U was such a flop is that customers didn't understand it was a whole new console/experience....so, it makes sense that Switch wouldn't have any compatibility with Wii or Wii U peripherals. They want to make it clear that this is 100% it's own thing....and so far that has worked!

#264 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

did you get all the colored joycons? those stupid things have me wanting all the colors. :-p Neon yellow looks sooooo goooooood

I've got the neon red/blue, neon green/pink, and neon yellow! Mixing color combos is fun!

#269 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I'm enjoying the game so far, I am surprised that it has 97% on metacritic though. It's a good game, but lets be real here...its production value as far as voice acting, etc, is about the level of a game made 15 years ago, still no online play, etc. Same thing for Zelda, it was like 97% too but I thought the Witcher 3 was a much better game in almost all aspects (story, visuals, combat, etc). I'm not sure why Nintendo gets a free pass on some of that stuff, if someone else came out with the exact same game under a different brand with basically no story or voice acting, it would get a 7 probably.

That's their "style". It makes the player feel more like they ARE the character, rather than a passive part of the experience. I love that they make games this way. Games with tons of cut scenes and voice acting honestly bore the shit out of me. Gameplay is constantly interrupted. Nintendo games have more flow, more whimsey, more charm. Their games are highly reviewed because they're pure gameplay and unapologetic VIDEO GAMES.

#273 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Let me state, I didn't play Zelda as a kid, so I have no nostalgia for it like a lot of people.

That's a shame, you missed out on a phenomenal series. It's not just about nostalgia, they're mostly amazing games. Link to the Past on SNES is still one of my all time favorites and often seen on best game lists.

Quoted from taylor34:

I just can't figure out what Zelda offers that makes it better than those games.

Art direction, animation, music, freedom, pure joy, I dunno lol

You seem like a PC/PS4/realism gamer...it's possible Nintendo's charm is lost on you.

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

It might be lost on me. I've been playing games since the Apple II days, and really like RPG's like Baldur's Gate II, KOTOR, Mass Effect, Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Divinity, etc. so I think I've gotten so used to games with stories that when they don't have one I just have a hard time staying motivated to play it. It's like asking me to watch a 100 hour movie where I know the ending with almost no voice acting, at least with the other games I didn't really know what was going to happen so there was this anticipation of story to keep me going. Finding a shrine for the sake of finding a shrine isn't super motivating, especially when you about fall asleep trying to run around finding them, lol.

See, I'm the opposite. Those brown/drab computer style games with realistic boring/creepy character designs and hours of blabbing away bore the everliving shit out of me. Nintendo's games bring you into living worlds of color, beautiful music, rewarding design and fun exploration. It's pure art & zen for me. I always hated computer games, but loved console games.

Zelda's brilliant because you can play it any way you want. Don't wanna do shrines? Go right to Gannon and try to kill him! Solving the shrines allows you to level up your stamina & life, which allows you to live longer and explore more.

#289 6 years ago

Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap is on sale now if you don't have it! Absolutely GORGEOUS remake of the cult classic Sega Master System game. Beautiful hand drawn animation, painted backgrounds, and real live recorded music. You can even toggle the graphics and/or music from 8-bit to remake live as you play. It even has various CRT & and FM audio option. They covered their bases. A must have for retro game lovers.

#293 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

It made sense that a stick would break and maybe some other wooden items. Metal swords constantly breaking is not realistic nor enjoyable. Maybe getting dull sure. There's a reason why almost everyone abandoned that concept long ago, it's super annoying, lol. The Witcher's system was also super annoying with your swords getting dull but at least it was realistic.
Going back to the comments above that it's probably not for me, it's probably that I don't like open world games that don't have a story (or have a mediocre story). Hence why I don't really like GTA5 either but loved Red Dead Redemption. Also, I think critics and users are sometimes not in the same ballpark as far as reviews go. So like on Metacritic:
Critic score:
BOTW 97%
Horizon 89%
Witcher 3 92%
User reviews:
BOTW 84%
Horizon 83%
Witcher 3 92%
The user reviews mirror more of what I feel except for I'd have horizon higher. For me, being from Nintendo does not equal 'free pass' on lack of story and other things standard in 2017 because I wouldn't cut any other game slack for it. Maybe I've played way too many games too, my xbox gamerscore is like almost 50,000.

I just don't think you like Nintendo. Sell your Switch. Play all the newest "Mocap Mannequins In Realism Land" games on the other consoles. I'll continue to enjoy this brilliant art and gameplay Nintendo is killing it with.

Also - SPLATFEST STARTS TONIGHT!!!!!

#296 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I also feel like maybe you haven't played any of the newer RPG's of the past 5 years so maybe you don't understand my perspective?

I don't play RPG's period cuz I hate turn based gameplay & long boring stories.

Zelda's never been an RPG, it's always been an action/adventure/puzzle/quest....maybe that's what's not connecting? Expectations that don't match what you thought it was supposed to be?

Quoted from taylor34:

I just don't cut them a free pass on things like lame online play setup, just because "it's Nintendo" doesn't mean they should absent of criticism.

All I know it's their games are fun as fuck, and the things PC/PS4 gamers complain about have never bothered me. My DS, 3DS, and Wii U have had online play that works perfectly for me....and I'm playing online ARMS and Splatoon 2 on Switch all the time and it's awesome. So, they do get a pass, cuz they make the only stuff I want to play.

Quoted from taylor34:

User reviews:
BOTW 84%
Horizon 83%
Witcher 3 92%

My reviews:
BOTW: 80,000,000,000,000% One of the most amazing games I've ever played & the Zelda I've put the most hours into (175 hrs so far), and I'd totally play through the entire thing again
Horizon: The robot monsters look cool, but those creepy mannequin humans ugh
Witcher: WTF is a Witcher?

#298 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Do you not have any friends you want to play with online and like talk with them? Because the Switch is awful for that, lol. That's what I'm talking about as far as lackluster online play. No achievements, no coherent network, no integrated voice chat, etc. I like their games like Splatoon 2 online but it would be a lot better if friend integration was better. I mean it's not even at the level of the original xbox from 2002, lol.

The last thing I ever want in gaming is hearing people yelling in my ear. I'm so happy you don't need voice chat to play Splatoon...you can accomplish everything you need from your team in that game by tapping the d-pad to "yell" "THIS WAY!" or whatever.

Achievements are overrated. I don't need the game to tell me I did this or that. I have a PS3 and Xbox 360, those have achievements...I never cared about them at all. The satisfaction of fun gameplay, leveling up, getting new weapons and gear is all I need.

ARMS just added achievement badges, tho...lol

Quoted from taylor34:

Turn based RPG? When was the last time you played a modern RPG? I can't even think of a major turn based AAA one on the Xbox One/PS4 outside of Divinity and Persona 5.

I told you, I don't play RPG's. RPG's = Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, stuff like that. Turn based, lots of talking. ZZZZZZ

Quoted from taylor34:

What was the last non-Nintendo RPG you played? You're describing things from like 20 years ago, lol, as if the last RPG you played was the original Fallout on PC.

We're just speaking different language. I would never play games on a PC and don't know what Fallout is. They still make turn based RPG's today....I don't play them because I never liked the genre.

Quoted from taylor34:

All the turn based stuff kind of disappeared in the early 2000's (except for jrpg's) until Divinity kind of brought it back recently.

I don't know what Divinity is. Turn based stuff never went away. On Switch there's Disgaea 5, Octopath Traveller, Golf Story, etc. Traditional Japanese style console RPGs. I don't like anything turn based or games with more story than gameplay. OK, this is going back aways- but I remember how I wanted to rip my head off while playing Metal Gear Solid 2....cut scene after cut scene....ZZZZZZZ I never played a Metal Gear game after that.

#311 6 years ago

I snagged 1-2 Switch and Bomberman from BB. Great prices on those two. Was tempted to get Mario/Rabbids for $30 at WM....but I still don't think I'll come around on that genre and have so much to play already.

#314 6 years ago

Lots of games on sale on the eShop. Shantae, Mummy & Wonderboy are awesome if you love retro games.

I had those already so bought Flame In the Flood & The Bridge.

#317 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I picked up Flame in the Flood because of the sale. I'm not sure I love it. The inventory management & crafting are overly fiddly to the point of annoying.

It's a little weird. I'm not quite sure I get it. I'm definitely dying a lot and not sure if I'm doing something wrong or it's just hard. Normally that would turn me away but for some reason this game is giving me an old school NES vibe - I sorta wanna stick with it and see if I can figure it out.

#325 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

These answers interest me greatly.
Also, what about charging stations?

I just dock my Joycons on the Switch to charge them. Pro Controller comes with a USB cable that you can plug into the Switch dock.

Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Switch owners...family of four (2 adults and 2 kids age 7 and 9)...what accessories/controllers are best? Pro controllers? Game suggestions?

ARMS, Mario Kart, Puyo Puyo Tetris are all fun multiplayer games up to 4 players couch co-op....and also have online multiplayer. Splatoon 2 is great online but you can't play multi together in the same room unless you have multiple Switches.

#327 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I bought a 256gb micro SD card on day 1 because I didn't want to deal with physcial games at all.

Digital is an awesome feature...but the Amazon Prime 20% discount for carts is enticing Also I like buying physical games I'm not quite sure about, so I can sell them if I don't like them or get bored of them. I was really conflicted about Mario, though...I pre-ordered physical, since ya know - it's Mario! I wanna hold that new Mario game! ...but then I realized I've NEVER sold a Mario game ever...and I wanted to play it Thursday night when it launched on the eShop, so I bought it digitally!

#329 6 years ago

I finally got every Moon & Purple coin! Now I can let my girlfriend play. Maybe.

#343 6 years ago

I just found a neat "trick" in Flame In The Flood. I decided to start a new game, since I was just too messed up to survive. In the new game, the dog's backpack is still filled with whatever you put in it during your previous game! So - if you're about to die and want to start over, fill Aesop's bag with good stuff!

#351 6 years ago

So can you take your Switch to the grocery store and scan these? No way I'm eating that cereal!
I honestly don't get the whole amiibo thing. I see those games with physical toys you scan to get a character in your game (Skylanders and Lego Portals?) and that makes sense, but what does an amiibo do other than let you get small bonuses in a game for paying for a toy? If they made a Pokémon game where you could buy a toy to get that Pokémon in your game, that would make sense, but I have yet to see anything nearly that compelling with amiibo. I haven't been following the functionality closely, though.
I know Yoshi Wooly World on Wii U had some that would let you get new skins for Yoshi, but those were so plentiful in the stock game that I had no reason to buy a toy to get a new skin. It's not like Yoshi would have any different functionality.

They really haven't done much with amiibo lately besides unlocks, but they have the ability to write to the toy, which is cool. In Smash Bros., you can play against an amiibo which "trains it" - it levels up and becomes a better player. It's like a training partner. You can write its stats back to the toy, and then take it to a friend's house so they can try fighting your amiibo.

The write ability works in a neat way with Wolf Link in BOTW. If you used Wolf Link amiibo with Twilight Princess, it saves your game info to the toy - and however many hearts you had in TP, when you use Wolf Link in BOTW, it'll have the same amount of hearts.

#354 6 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

So...am I the only one considering rebuying all of my pinball games just for the Switch?

I never bought the pinball apps for other platforms...but Switch seems like a sure bet!

#358 6 years ago
Quoted from GhostThruster:

Any luck on this front? I just looked the game up and it looks interesting. Wondering if you would recommend it.

I still kinda suck but I'm getting better. I finally got the hang of making traps and was able to get some animals. I still keep dying around same area - I think I need to start over and make/use traps earlier than I did this time around. I'm finding it quite addicting to play! For $13 I'm happy with it.

4 months later
#610 6 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Just saw the tweet TPA is available on Switch! My wallet will be hurting if it has portrait mode!

It does.

I wish you could take the top Joy-Con off like on Zen's, but it's still pretty good. Looks great, 60fps handheld or docked. Touchscreen flippers work nice in handheld as well.

PA_Switch (resized).jpgPA_Switch (resized).jpg

PA_2 (resized).jpgPA_2 (resized).jpg

#614 6 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

What do you mean take off the top joycon? I've been playing Zen and SPA with the joycons in my hand detached.

You can play with the "bottom" (right) Joycon attached and the left detached...so you can hold it in your hand, play with the touch screen, and feel rumble... but it's a bit lighter without the top one adding weight. If you try the same thing on PA, it doesn't "get" it. It needs both Joycons attached to the system, or detached.

#624 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Just played Totan on switch TPA. Almost unplayable. I have it in docked mode, flipper lag is horrible, bad lag when ball is on the ramps. They better have some patches to smooth this up.

It’s probably your TV. Make sure you’re in a “fast” or “game” mode. Turn off smooth-o-vision or any other post-processing and you’ll see that lag minimized. Plays fine on mine docked.

3 weeks later
#627 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Anyone picking up Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze?

I have it on Wii U, but I’m double dipping. It’s that good. If you love classic side scrolling platformers, it’s one of the best ever.

#635 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

got mine yesterday

Costco?

#638 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I'm a collector (of sorts). "bricks" like the one above are highly sought after by collectors that buy into the whole [grading] thing because it allows them to get an [U] rating (uncirculated)

I want to slap anyone who “collects” this way. Kudos to you for taking advantage of them though. Morons.

#640 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I can get a NIB switch (CL) for $260. Tell me if that’s a good price and why I should buy this game system.

It’s a good price cuz it’s $299 normally and you should get it if you love fun.

#644 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Yeah I already have an Xbox One and I like the idea of a good portable system with good games. Liked the original Zelda on NES and the new one looks pretty amazing.

Zelda is amazing. It’s great in portable mode or docked and playing at home. Nostalgia helps, but the games stand on their own merit and no one else can touch them in terms of art direction, music, and pure gameplay.

I watched some “gameplay” video of the new God of War for PS4 since it’s getting tons of hype. I just don’t get it. At all. Hyper-realism has no “style”...the game seems to be non-stop cut scenes and talking. I could tell I’d be bored of it very quickly. Realistic skin & grass will never be as impressive to me as Nintendo’s whimsical approach to art direction, and non-stop talking will never be as engaging as great gameplay design.

If you like classic Nintendo IP, Mario Odyssey & Mario Kart 8 are must haves. If you wanna try newer IP, Splatoon 2 is phenomenal (I just passed the 345 hr mark on it lol), and if you like fighting games, ARMS is an incredible experience...fresh as hell.

#648 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Don't overlook GoW it's the real deal. There is actually not a single camera cut the entire game. It's technically and graphically a master piece. The story is seemlessly intertwined into the gameplay. You could not be more wrong about cut scenes and talking. Sure the art style is personal opinion but GoW is one of those landmark games and one of the best games ever created. It deserves the perfect 10s it's getting. So far it's every bit as good as Zelda.

I know it’s all ps4 graphics and no FMV, but in the gameplay video I was watching, it was almost non-stop talking and tons of cool action that isn’t player controlled. “Realistic movie wannabe games” just instantly put me to sleep. As much as I’ve tried, I can’t get past more than an hour or so of Uncharted, Infamous, Batman Arkham, etc. It’s just not a design philosophy that hooks me. I might finally bite on a PS4 for the new Spider-Man...it looks like it has some quicktimes, but looks to have enough of the type of action I like. I also want the Shadow of the Colossus remake & Gravity Rush 2 looks really cool.

#651 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I love my switch but game like GoW highlight some of the hardware shortcomings. You have to admit seeing loadings screens and subbar performance in BotW was disappointing.

I admit nothing. BOTW is pure magic from start to finish & then some. It’s exactly what I want in a game. Loading only when warping and going into shrines. Doesn’t bother me at all. I can’t get thru an hour of most modern Xbox/PS games - yet I have 200 hrs on Zelda. This type of game speaks to me. Absolutely gorgeous from start to finish. I don’t see “shortcomings”, I see spectacular art direction, animation, world design, AI, sound design, etc. All iconic. When I see something like GOW, I just see “another mocap mannequin game” and “realistic skin...kinda impressive but kinda gross”.

As for the online, I’ve got 90 hrs online with ARMS and 345 hrs on Splatoon. Online is fine for me. Again, most aspects of modern gaming turn me off - so these are the only online games that appeal to me. I don’t want to hear people talking and yelling into a headset. I wanna crank up my spoons system and hear the great music and sound. Splatoon’s “Booyahs” and “This ways” are social enough for me.

#657 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You are clearly only a Nintendo gamer and that's fine. Your really going out of your way to try and make it seem like GoW is in some way bad or flawed. Zelda is a great game but it's kinda silly to just blow off other games because Nintendo didn't make them.

Not saying it's bad or flawed, but it's representative of a games industry that went a certain way that gamers like me don't find interesting, and I'm glad there's an alternative. Actually, GOW is a perfect example of what's great about Nintendo. The people obsessed with technology will point to GOW or lack of PUBG & other mainstream hits as proof Nintendo sucks...but here's the thing - all those games/tech you like EXIST already. What good would Nintendo be if they just did the same exact thing as everyone else? Why do people want Switch to be the same experience that exists elsewhere? PS4/Xbox/PC are generally interchangeable...the market didn't need a 4th clone. Nintendo discovered this with the Gamecube, which essentially was the same thing as as PS2 or Xbox. Since then, they've done their own thing - which makes them a perfect companion console if you already have an Xbox/PS4/PC....Switch brings something absolutely different to the table.

Quoted from Darscot:

You comparing apples to oranges, Zelda is not even in the same league technically to GoW.

I don't play "tech", I play games. From what I've seen of GOW, Zelda blows it away in terms of game design. GOW will win the "realistic skin" and "most talking" award

#658 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

What a time to be alive that there are so many great options for entertainment.
Haven't seen much mention in here of how the new donkey kong game is, worth picking up?

It's actually an old Donkey Kong game (came out for Wii U in 2014) ,but if it's new to you then absolutely pick it up! It's one of the best sidescrolling platformers of all time. Phenomenal gameplay, design, music, and graphics.

#659 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Wasn't for me. In the end..it's going to be like every other Zelda of the 3d era except for Wind Waker....
Sitting in my closet unfinished for all eternity. I gave up trying to figure out what the hell they expected me to do when my only advancement path is to walk into a murder cave and...get murdered, because there's too many bloody thieves and sneaking just isn't cutting it.
*Edit* Oh, I guess I did forget to simply throw f'ing bananas all over the place. *roll eyes*

I've struggled with every 3D Zelda...I always felt like I was playing them out of obligation. It finally took the 3DS version of Ocarina for me to finally finish it. Link to the Past on SNES and Link Between Worlds 3DS were my favorites. BOTW throws everything I hate about 3D Zelda's out completely, and brought me back to being a kid playing the original NES version. The sense of freedom and discovery is absolutely addicting.

The banana cave was difficult, but there are a bunch of characters that talk about those guards loving bananas - so ...the setup was there.

I never got absolutely "WTF!?!??" stumped in this game like I did with Ocarina, Wind Waker, and Majora. I gave up completely on Majora. Maybe one day...lol

#661 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You should really play it because you clearly have not seen it and you basing your opinion of a some video that is clearly not a good representative of the game.

LOL it was a 3 hour live gameplay video. It's 100% representative of the game. It was literally a video of the game. No edits.

Quoted from Darscot:

Every game is a tech game and it's unfortunate Nintendo limits games because of the tech.

Sometimes limited tech leads to interesting design and visual decisions that make video games "video games". We'd never have Pac-Man if the tech was unlimited. Zelda's an incredible game and does everything you could ever want to do beautifully & intuitively. I can play it at home or on the go. I can use regular and motion controls. If there are "limits" in this experience, I don't see them.

Quoted from Darscot:

There is no doubt BotW would have been better if it was not limited by the hardware

It's perfect, so why should I ruin the experience by hoping for it to be better? It's like playing a beautiful painting or animated feature...it's exactly the experience it needs to be. I truly hope I never see a Nintendo game with pores and skin and hair. Style and art direction is where it's at...GOW may look like a real movie, but that's not what I want to look at in video games.

Quoted from Darscot:

Games like GoW show what is possible in the industry.

Yes, more video game companies trying to be movie companies...and improving their skin technology.

Quoted from Darscot:

You talking shit about it because it looks different.

I watched a gameplay video to see what the hype was about, and to me - in my opinion - it looks boring. Too. Much. Talking. ...and skin. lol

#664 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Ok this is just getting silly. I myself would love to play BotW in 4K HDR or at 60 FPS and done away with those ridiculous loading screens. No game is perfect, it was great but there will always be another landmark game and GoW is it. I'm not finished it yet but i've logged a lot of hours so I can't decide which is better yet but it's damn close. I'll let you get back to all things Switch. I am a software engineer in gaming so maybe I just see a lot more.

Makes sense. I work in animation, so it's hard for me to watch cartoons as objectively as people who are just viewers. They'll just see "funny", but I'll be distracted by all the technical stuff that bothers me.

#675 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

And Rare Hero, I'm glad Nintendo is different, but that doesn't mean that crappy online setup and no voice chat is acceptable in 2018 when I was doing that in 1999 in counterstrike, lol. I mean seriously, come on.

What even is a Counterstrike? Let's see...ah, one of those ugly grey & brown floating gun games? LOL...PC games...the worst.

Like I was saying before...Nintendo isn't trying to clone other existing devices. If you want voice chat & ugly floating gun games, Xbox, PS4, and PC exist. Have at it. I don't want to hear people swearing, bullying and insulting each other while playing video games...and since Nintendo heavily markets toward families, they don't either. You can do voice chat in Splatoon 2 thru the app...but I've never even bothered with it. It's super fun without chat, and the in game commands are enough to communicate with others and get results. Splatoon 2, ARMS, and Mario Kart have sold millions & always have tons of people online playing - so, clearly voice chat isn't something all gamers care about.

You're looking at this through a computer gaming lens. Console/portable gamers have different priorities.

#680 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Seriously dude, you're stepping into Whysnow territory here with your love for the Switch.

How dare you. If you buy a $300 Switch, you’ll get one. I’m not trying to sell you on a multi thousand dollar item made by yokels and thieves.

#682 5 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Switch needs Conker's bad fur day, bring Conker back!

Rare’s IP, never gonna happen. It’s on the Rare Xbox One Collection.

#699 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

donkey kong was awesome on wii u but no need to buy and play it again, was hoping for a new game with the ip. The only appeal would be to play it on the go but I hardly ever play my switch anywhere but at home so meh

I debated rebuying it, but I buckled. It def looks better on TV at full 1080p compared to the Wii U version.

It’s a great game that was ignored on the Wii U, so it’s a new game to lots of people. Lots of SNES lovers who grew up on the DKC games skipped a few Nintendo generations & have come back for Switch. That’s why the game is selling so well despite being a port.

#705 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

No talk about their recent announcement? Online play, cloud backup, Switch online app, NES game play on your Switch, and no virtual console (as of now).

Virtual Console is just branding. I think what they're doing with the NES library will be their new approach to classics...a Netflix style selection for subscribers. Hopefully as this service grows, they'll include SNES & N64 libraries as well. Companies are already doing a lot of retro arcade releases & retro compilations...those are essentially "Virtual Console" without the branding.

#707 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Having the new virtual console as part of online could suck. Most subscription based services need you to be online to use. Nintendo is pretty brutal about this stuff, just look at Mario IOS.

They already said in the announcement that the NES games can be played offline. There will probably be some kind of "key" within the console that verifies subscriptions & their expiration dates, same way it verifies purchases. I have a ton of Switch games I've purchased on the eShop. They play just fine without being connected to the internet.

#712 5 years ago

spirit tracks is the only (canon) zelda i have not finished... just couldnt stand it

The DS ones are perhaps the only 2 Zeldas I haven't even played! You can only move around with the stylus in those, right? I think that turned me off from buying them when they came out.

#714 5 years ago

yeah its been a long time since i played them but i think its touch screen controls only.
have you played link between worlds on 3ds? amazing game.

Yup. One of the best ever.

#722 5 years ago

I was really hoping theyd do an hd re-release of skyward sword on wii u so you could play it without the wii remote control scheme. too bad thatll never happen, but maybe they will port it to switch

Oh yeah, that’s another Zelda I haven’t played. I imagine they would port it. Maybe even Windwaker and Twilgiht Princess HD, too. It’s gonna be a long time till the next Zelda. They’ll wanna give fans some adventures till the next new one hits.

#733 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

that appears to be the case

This probably means the Switch version was somehow a breach of contract and the cause of this whole debacle.

#736 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I want this game but $60 is insane for it. I have it in 4k on my pc (via dolphin) but would like to have it portable.

Why is $60 insane for a great game staring one of Nintendo's most iconic characters? Maybe it'd be cheaper if people weren't bootlegging it *cough cough cough*

In any case, it's already sold better than the Wii U version in its first week and is #1 on the eShop. People are buying it at $60.

#741 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

My GameStop had 1 copy left which I was able to pickup. But that is a good idea as they are short on supply.

We’re you able to update it to 1.3? When 1.3 came out, it added the vertical portrait mode, but only updated on the digital version and not the physical. The physical has a different publisher. Just wondering if they fixed this problem. If so, I’ll prob pick up the cart!

#744 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'm not sure of the version number but it did prompt me for an update and it does have portrait mode which works well.

I got impatient and just went to Gamestop to get it lol - but yup, it updates to 1.3 so it’s equal to get Digital eShop version, but cheaper for all the tables! Plus, you can sell it if sick of it down the road!

#750 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

South Park: Fractured But Whole is on sale at Amazon if anyone was looking to pick that title up.

I only see a UK import version. Link?

Edit: I found it. I clicked on the PS4 version & went to the “other formats” section. Weird that it didn’t just come up under the regular search.

#761 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

No, you just go back to town and have to start section again.
I guess what is also annoying is after you beat a "section" you have to work back to the town...ugh, it is a great throw back with NOTHING updated but graphics and sound. Checkpoints.....ugh would of been nice for an easy mode.

It'll be interesting to see what approach the similar but new Monster Boy takes...it's an all new game from scratch, inspired by Wonderboy. I bet it'll be a bit more modern in regard to checkpoints and such.

#767 5 years ago

Lots of good games on sale on the eShop! I just bought 88 Heroes, 50% off at $15. I've been waiting for that one to hit a nice price.

#769 5 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I've got such a backlog going. I need to finish about 7 more games. And I haven't even bought SMO or DKCTF yet. I need to be ready for Octopath Traveler in two months!

Yeah, I'm backlogged like a mofo....and I keep playing Splatoon 2 for hours and hours....and Hyrule Warriors comes out tomorrow lol. I've played thru my Switch games WAAAAAY more than I have for the last few generations though, that's for sure.

#773 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

omg I can't even get to like level 4 and I bought it at launch

I hate that game. If you wanna try a really fantastic retro styled dungeon shooter, try Enter the Gungeon.

#775 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I think we need to have a pinside splatoon fest!!!
Also we should suggest arcade game vs pinball as a splatfest

All the 12 year olds playing would be like “what’s an arcade?” “What’s pinball?” Lol.

Hey, here’s my friend code again if anyone wants to add me! Donnie vs. Raph Splatfest starts tonite!!!

683E9CDF-9AC6-4B38-904F-FA9787308ED4 (resized).jpeg683E9CDF-9AC6-4B38-904F-FA9787308ED4 (resized).jpeg

#784 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

I've been thinking of trying it out tho I'm not good at FPS's where I get destroyed but little kids online haha.

I never played FPS...I just don’t like “floating guns” ...I want to see my character. Also I don’t like realistic war games, or brown/gray lookin’ games in general. So - Splatoon is a shooter for people who never liked shooters. It ticks all the boxes for me, anyway. Since you’ll start playing against people of equal level and rank, you shouldn’t (in theory) get too destroyed when you start.

The game is seriously fun and addicting though, with all the weapon/sub/special variety & gear/ability combinations....all the different modes, etc. Your skills can grow and grow and you’ll eventually settle in with a play style & weapon choice. I can hold my own against all the 12 year olds lol ....My win ratio is higher than my losses.

There are constantly new stages, weapons and gear added...plus Splatfests....and Octo expansion is coming soon. I don’t think I’ve never played a game this much. Splatoon (and Switch in general) is why I barely play pinball anymore lol.

#788 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The variety of weapons in Splatoon 2 is what interests me. Makes it seem very much like Overwatch in which you can change tactics quite a bit.

Yeah - I use different weapons depending if I’m playing the ranked modes or Turf War. You also get to know how other people use weapons and try to find ways to combat them depending on what you’re using.

There’s also a mode called Salmon Run where there are random Weapons assigned to you and your team vs. a CPU hoarde of monsters. That’s a good one that forces you to try new weapons.

#790 5 years ago
Quoted from insx:

I just saw a video of Beat Sabre, a VR game on steam. I'm a bit partial to a rhythm game and I can't help thinking that it would be a good use of the Joy Cons. Not as immersive of course, but I can't see any real need for it to be in VR.

Thumper was a VR rhythm game that came to Switch. It’s awesome as a portable game w/ headphones during a break at work for a few quick levels.

#793 5 years ago
Quoted from insx:

I have Thumper and I agree that it's awesome with headphones (also on a big TV with a nice sound system in a darkened room). I find myself not playing it for a while and finding it hard to pick up again though.

How far can you get? I'm in the middle of level 5 and it's SOOOO hard. I HAVE to put it down for a while and then when I pick it up, hope I can complete just one more small section before I'm exhausted again lol

#797 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Just got to level 6 stage 7 last night, getting close.

Holy moly! Up thru level 4 there’s some leeway if you don’t get everything perfect...Level 5 has those things that kill you instantly if you miss something. Ooooph!!!!!

#800 5 years ago

I got Megaman Legacy Collection today...so that's 10 more games in my backlog lol ...it'll actually be fun to finally finish ALL of the MM games, just so I can say I did it. I think I've only finished 1 & 8. Maybe 2.

It's annoying that the physical release comes w/ a download code for Collection 2, but the cleaning cloth that comes with it is really nice.

MM_Legacy (resized).jpgMM_Legacy (resized).jpg

MM_cloth (resized).jpgMM_cloth (resized).jpg

#807 5 years ago

I have the 3ds version, PS4 physical version and PS4 digital (it was included in a humble bundle) so I decided against this version but I did preorder the SNES MEGA MAN X collection for the switch. I like the cloth.

Yeah honestly I wanted Collection 2 more than 1, since I have 1 on 3DS....so I was gonna just get the eShop download of 2 anyway. Buuuut, it's $20 on the eShop, and this version with the cartridge for 1 & the cloth was $32 on Amazon Prime....soooo...whatever, I just went for it. I can always sell the cart!

#808 5 years ago

yeah my buddy showed me a video of it this past weekend. Pretty much no chance at physical, which is the only instance I will buy digital, but i have yet to buy a digital game on switch.

I've bought a lot of digital games due to price or being digital only. Like, Conga Master Party is on sale right now for $6. Anything around $10 or less, I really can't complain.

I tend to go physical with the full priced $60 games...partially cuz they're cheaper with Amazon Prime, partially because at $60 I feel like I should have the right to sell it in the future if I don't like it. I just got Hyrule Warriors - and not being sure I'd even like the game, I definitely wanted physical.

Honestly, I wish I could just punch myself enough to just go full digital...because the convenience factor of just having everything on the system is awesome.

#812 5 years ago

best buy gamer club is actually a sweet deal too ($20 for 2 years), same discount as preorder on prime but you can do it at any time and works on special editions and amiibos and shit like that too (like prime used to)

Yeah, it sounds good...def a good deal! But - I pay for Prime already so not sure I wanna pay for another discount service....but yeah there were a few recent deals where I was like "dang, I shoulda signed up" lol

...actually I just looked it up and it looks like they've ended the program!!!! So that's that...

#814 5 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

For those that haven’t played it Hyrule Warriors is a good time. Much more to it than it seems on the surface.

I haven't decided if I like it or not. I like the fan-service and all the Zelda-ishness about it....but I find it VERY confusing to know what I should be paying attention to when there's so much going on on-screen & constant messages & all the shit on the map. The action also has this sort of hollow/too-fast/spazzy feel of series I do not like such as Ninja Gaiden & Devil May Cry. I'm gonna keep with it though, see if it clicks. If not, I have a buttload of games to play still!

#827 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

...*raises hand*
That Thumper game looks odd. I'm gonna check it out when I get home. I love a good hard rhythm game, but I'm not really getting what's going on in the video I just watched.

It’s weird. Took me a while to get a handle on it. The music is very ambient so the usual rhythm game instincts get thrown off a bit. For me anyway. But I’m glad I gave it a shot when it was on sale for $13.

#832 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What in the actual F is this. Maybe a bad translation? “Most entertaining” “perfect reproduction” whaaaatttttt
Jurassic Pinball
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/jurassic-pinball-switch
The most entertaining Pinball is back!
Enjoy Jurassic Pinball, a perfect reproduction of a real pinball machine, with all the graphic details and sounds.
Discover all the secrets, complete all the missions and become number 1 in the world or the best among your Friends, posting your high score on the online leaderboard.
Arcade design.
Set in the Jurassic age.
Multiball, Extraball, Skillshot, Jackpots...
Reproduction with all the details, lights and sounds.
4 different cameras to choose from.
Online Leaderboard.

Looks like a cheap phone app port.

#841 5 years ago

Street Fighter Collection & Owlboy physical come out today, Ikaruga on the eShop...oh and Old Man’s Journey is on sale - I was waiting for that. 4 more in the backlog!!! Lol.

#846 5 years ago

IKARUGA! I have the Wii physical copy of this game...hope it has screen rotation on the Switch!

Absolutely. Played it in vertical mode this morning!

#854 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I wonder if they'll bring out a physical copy of ikaruga for the switch now

Maybe...but for $15 you can play it right now

Ik1 (resized).jpgIk1 (resized).jpg

Ik2 (resized).jpgIk2 (resized).jpg

#856 5 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I was excited before, but the new trailer has taken that excitement up a few notches. I've already picked up a box of Band-Aids for my thumbs in preparation.

I'm still a bit lukewarm on MM11 due to the "hollow" and "stiff" feel of his animation....take a look at Megaman 7 or 8 - still gorgeous today!!! However, the bosses in that trailer looked AWESOME, and it's only $23.99 if you pre-order on Amazon Prime....sooooo, I ordered it lol

#861 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Can you play that with the joycon attached in vertical? Most of the vertical games I have tried don't remap the left stick for vertical if it is still attached. I would really like to play it as a one piece unit.

I don't think so - I just tried it...it only remaps to the single joycon if you can press the SR and SL buttons...if I pop it back on you have to re-sync the controllers again.

#867 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I can’t beat level 6 boss on DK freeze. Want to smash the whole thing.

Have you tried using some power ups from the store? If you still can’t do it, try Funky mode!

#869 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

No I haven’t visited the stores yet I will have to give that a try

Yeah, you can spend the coins you collect on all kinds of powerups, extra hearts, sidekicks, etc. That should definitely help you out!

#876 5 years ago
Quoted from boslj:

I totally agree. I downloaded Yoku last night and while I didn't put a lot of time on it yet, I really enjoyed it. I also picked up the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary. It's nice being able to play 12 different Street Fighter games portably.

SF Collection is a great love letter to the series - but I tried playing online last nite and it was choppy as F. Not sure if it’s my internet, the opponents, Capcom’s fault...I dunno. I play Splatoon, ARMS, and Kart online and it’s smooth and responsive. Ultra SF2 had problems online, sometimes grinding to a halt ...this isn’t that bad, but it’s annoying that it was constantly stuttering, even the music.

#893 5 years ago

I'm glad I'm out of my "BUY ALL AMIIBOS" phase, and only buying ones of characters I know/love. I don't even know what Dark Souls is, so I can pass on this guy!

#895 5 years ago

Aw yeah!!! Got my Smash Bros E3 ticket!!!!

I'm not even a big fan of the series, but the only way to play it is with a ticket...and it'll be something I won't have to wait in a super long line to play. Woop woop!

Smash Bros Ticket (resized).pngSmash Bros Ticket (resized).png
#902 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

You can also buy retro controllers (same specs as original controllers) to USB port. I use the n64 one all the time when emulating. They make them for all systems. I use my nes emulator a lot and it's way better than the original. No blowing in carts, save game data, and any game I could ever own.........FREE.

Also lag lag lag. Emulation is not better than the original or good fpga hardware, especially if you play precise timing games like Punch Out or Megaman. If you want free games and accurate gameplay, get an AVS or NT & an Everdrive.

#904 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

What are the specs of the PC your running? What emulator are you running? Lol. If you have lag with nes games like punch out or MegaMan there must be a bigger problem.

I don't have a PC. Doesn't matter what the specs are. It's just the way emulation works. There will be lag. Maybe you don't perceive it...but it's there. If you enjoy it, continue.

#911 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Did anyone try Pokémon Quest on switch yet? It comes to mobile end of the month, but yeah, very mobilish but someone amusing to play

Pokémon is where I draw the line. lol.

Nah. Will not bother.

#917 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

You didn’t pre order Pokémon go picachu?! :-p
Did everyone play MARIO tennis this last weekend? Jesus online I feel like I’m playing Starcraft against Korea. However I can see single player or local multi being super fun

That demo was so frustrating and demoralizing I rage-quit for the first time....promptly went on Amazon & cancelled my pre-order.

As for Pokémon - I was in college when it came out and I only knew it as “that seizure cartoon”...and I don’t liken RPGs, so I have no attachment to the characters or series.

#945 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

How the HELL are you guys NOT talking about Smash Bros..
My faith in you is severely shaken.

I played it at E3 yesterday! I tried the Inkling and got destroyed....so on round 2 I switched to the only character I really kinda sorta know how to use: Pac-Man!!! I killed!!!!

Also got some Nintendo schwaaaag!

11B19497-3776-4B6E-98D7-40AE715591BC (resized).jpeg11B19497-3776-4B6E-98D7-40AE715591BC (resized).jpeg437C1557-EC0C-468D-9200-1D9333D8FF82 (resized).jpeg437C1557-EC0C-468D-9200-1D9333D8FF82 (resized).jpeg54085B26-645D-45CA-BCFA-B26D1F9F4DDD (resized).jpeg54085B26-645D-45CA-BCFA-B26D1F9F4DDD (resized).jpegB3108665-8D6F-46B3-8535-8B1BDD3722E6 (resized).jpegB3108665-8D6F-46B3-8535-8B1BDD3722E6 (resized).jpeg
#948 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Nice!!! Did the game feel like wiiu smash?
I miss going to E3, lots of fun

If Smash Wii U was Street Fighter 2, then Smash Ultimate is Super Street Fighter 2. It's clearly built off the same exact engine, but w/ some tweaks and more characters. The only way I was able to win was because Pac-Man played exactly the same as the Wii U version.

This is what I expected. Smash Wii U was such a huge and deep game that ran at 1080/60fps, there's no way I thought they'd start from scratch on the next one...but built upon the existing game.

#950 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I would downvote this if I was allowed to.
Fortnite is an idiot's game designed for idiots, IMNSHO. The weapon accuracy is terrible (Honestly this is the worst..it's a meme. See below. ) Props to the devs, though, for figuring out the most effecient way to milk hundreds of millions of dollars out of the gaming community right in the midst of everyone pissing and moaning about loot boxes. Good for them.
126 million in february. For cosmetic shit. It's the new Team Fortress 2, only TF2 actually gave you...you know....weapons and shit that effected the gameplay.

I played it for the first time at E3 yesterday, had no idea what to do, and was killed within seconds. When I got home, I downloaded it cuz "why not, free game". I watched some videos of people playing...went back to my Switch and deleted it lol ...I can already tell I won't like it, and Splatoon's Octo Expansion is dropping today...I gonna be full in on that & the rest of my Switch backlog.

#954 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Bought Splatoon 2 today.
About to go play it for the first time.

I’d say “let’s play!!” but I’m at level 62 so that just isn’t fair.

Although if you want any advice I’d be happy to help!

Rule #1: USE MOTION AIMING if you wanna git gud.

Be sure to pick a team for Splatfest this weekend! Even if you end up not playing, you’ll still earn Super Sea Snails for participating (although you get more if you play a bunch) ...you can use them to add slots to gear that doesn’t come with 3 slots.

#958 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The motion controls suck ass. The fact it doesnt auto reset back to zero and having to oress a button to realign every time is a joke. I get why its SUPPOSED to be better to use the mtoion controls, but Im doing just fine doing better than level 14-25 people with the regular joyoad type controls.
I'm all ears otherwise, and I dont mind olaying with higher skill grouos for a challenge as long as peiple are gonna coach. Sucks that this tjing doesnt have a true built in voice chat....but Nintendo.

Auto reset? I don’t even know how that would work or if I’d want it...i only use the reset button when I start the game to calibrate - after that, center is always center. I’ve also set mine to be more sensitive - so not much movement gives me lots of aiming range. You still use the stick for left/right when motion is on. It’s the subtle up/down you get with tilt that makes the gameplay soooo much better. Anyway - I really recommend you try it - especially with certain weapons like rollers - the aim you get on a jump/fling, I really don’t think that’s possible with stick only.

As for matchmaking, I’m getting matched with 100+ so, yeah lol. If you want “skill fairness”, try the ranked modes. If someone has played 1 hour or 100 hours and they’re both rank B, that means their skills are relatively comparable. While Turf War is competitive, it’s more of the “fun, no stress” mode.

I’m glad the game doesn’t have voice chat as a standard, but you can match up with friends using the Nintendo App and chat that way. However - pay attention & use the in-game chat commands. If someone says “This away” they’re indicating they’re in a safe spot and come help push & ink. Go to the map and use super jump (easier to use the map with motion). If someone does “Ouch” that’s a warning about the area they got splatted.
If someone BOOYAHs, Booyah back! Booyahs for someone saving you, for good splats, for morale lol...

Anyway - enjoy! I’ll always advocate motion aiming on Splatoon. I’ve never liked or been good at console shooters until I played Splatoon on Wii U, and motion aiming is a huge part of it. It adds to the gameplay and is just really satisfying and fun.

I was thinking of starting a Twitter just for uploading gameplay clips of Splatoon 2 and ARMS from my Switch lol. I post them on FB, but my page is private. If I do, I’ll let you know. I’ve pulled off some pretty crazy stuff that’s fun to watch.

#960 5 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I didn't like motion aiming at first but after 50+ hours using it, I am sold. I try to play other FPS games now with the standard controls and find it frustrating now. I still prefer mouse and keyboard, but on a console I want motion aiming.

Even though I've never played anything with a mouse/keyboard (the concept of using word processing tools to game just seems so weird to me), the precision of aiming is why I imagine motion aim would totally appeal to a PC FPS gamer - it's basically a floating mouse!

The only way I'm gonna bother with Fartnite is if they patch it with motion aiming.

#962 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Oh duh...okay, this is actually a really good point, thanks.

Oh, nah. It's interesting to observe how other people are using specific weapons.

You can do that on ranked - but people use specific weapons for different reasons in ranked. In Turf War I tend to use something like Sploosh-o-Matic cuz it inks a lot of ground really fast, and I can use the curling bombs to rush or escape, and I love Splashdown. But in Tower Control, I switch to something with more range like the N-Zap, which comes with a suction bomb & I like to chuck those at the tower to stop the other team from jumping on it.

#968 5 years ago

Splatoonists old and new - Splatfest starts tonight!!!!!!

It's orange juice themed...Team PULP vs. Team NO PULP!

I'm on Team PULP!

I was getting some practice this morning when only high level Japanese players were on...I was holding my own and won 5 of 6 games! I think beating the Octo Expansion has really dialed in my motion aiming discipline!

(The players with the star * next to their number means they're really Level 104 and 113!!!! I'm always scared when I see those lol)

Splatoonwin.jpgSplatoonwin.jpg
#972 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Crash bandicoot tomorrow! Gonna scoop that up
Oh and for Father’s Day I got a dock to play and charge at the same time

Oh I think I got a similar stand, but black...it's great for games with a TATE/Vertical mode!

Switch_stand (resized).jpegSwitch_stand (resized).jpeg
#973 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I was on Pulp too, so WOOT for us. Clearly No Pulp had really terrible players to still lose after that much of a popularity margin! Wish I had done some research and seen that octo was paid content. On the upside...the price difference I got from picking it up on sale will pay for the expansion so... /shrug.
Really been enjoying it, but I'm having a REALLY hard time waffling back and forth between Overwatch, Splatoon 2, and No Man's Sky (Picked up for 15 bucks lol) along with WoW. Just a glut of stuff to play right now!

TOO MANY GAMES! Thankfully Splatoon 2 is the only shooter type game I like, so I can dedicate lol ...I just hit 400 hours!!!!

The prob with that big of a popularity margin is that if you were on No Pulp, most of their matches were against EACH OTHER, which didn't count toward Splatfest totals.

Frax, add me!!! Friend code in pic if anyone wants to add me:

Switch_Friend_Code (resized).jpgSwitch_Friend_Code (resized).jpg
#975 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Man I haven’t gone into the eshop in a while. DK looks good

The sound is a little janky (they don’t vary the walk sound like the arcade does), but it’s really cool having a 99% Arcade accurate DK on the go with vertical play!

#988 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Oh, I thought you were too l33t for me, sir?

LOL, nah - if anything it’s just fun to see what people are playing.

#1005 5 years ago

looks like my patience/stubbornness may pay off for a Celeste physical release!
https://nintendosoup.com/celeste-is-receiving-a-physical-release-for-nintendo-switch/

Sweet! I've been waiting for that, or a sale lol

#1007 5 years ago

Night Trap open pre-orders are up on Limited Run Games, if anyone is interested in that culty piece of 80's schlock. I bit, as I just find it really funny that the most controversial Sega CD game of the 90's is now gonna be on a Nintendo cartridge lol. At the congressional hearings, Howard Lincoln said "Night Trap will never appear on a Nintendo console". Hahahhaa!

#1009 5 years ago

i thought about it but then its such a bad game not really worth it lol. the limited edition with the vhs would be cool but not for $70 bucks. it sold out pretty quick anyways

The standard edition is open pre-order and only $30. I could hang with that. I don't need all the other crap & I can still sell this one when I get bored of it.

#1011 5 years ago

yeah, its just not fun and really just a memorization game. if you want to experience the story and see all the scenes then you miss augers and let girls die. if you do everything right you dont get to watch it and see whats going on. neat game but not fun which is what i base my purchases on

Yeah I’m not gonna defend Night Trap’s merits. As a game it has none. I’m buying it out of nostalgia and irony lol.

#1012 5 years ago

If anyone wants my Crash Bandicoot for $30, PM me! Dogs not included.

D503DB54-7C8A-452B-BE84-23012D83EC86 (resized).jpegD503DB54-7C8A-452B-BE84-23012D83EC86 (resized).jpeg
#1025 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Did anyone grab The Pinball Arcade DLC tables on the switch before they were pulled? The classics (TAF, TZ, etc) If so, please PM me. I will make it worth your time!

I got Pack #1, so I still have CC, CP, WH2O, T2, and some others.

#1050 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I usually don't go for third party peripherals, but does anyone have a good alternative to the Pro controller? I can't justify the $65 price tag on those puppies.

The knockoffs always strip way too much...they tend to ditch gyroscopic controls, HD rumble, amiibo support, etc...$65 is an issue on a pinball site!?

#1062 5 years ago
Quoted from thestreetzking:

Ill post my friend code later, need more friends on here.

Boooyah! Let’s splat! Over 400 hours on Splatoon 2 and I had a new first today - I took out an entire team simultaneously with a Rainmaker explosion!!!

#1070 5 years ago

Sonic mania physical edition showed up today, too much awesome on the switch. My fav console since snes

I already had it digital (since it was digital only grumble grumble) ...so I just bought the $5 upgrade to Plus. I was surprised the icon didn’t change. Slime-San has had a new icon every time it got an update. When you put in the Sonic cart, does the icon say Sonic Mania or Sonic Mania Plus?

1 week later
#1078 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

The Zaccaria Pinball app is available on the Nintendo Switch store. It operates similarly to TPA, where you get one game free, but can sample any of the available games up to a point limit. Some interesting pins. I had not seem many (or any really) of these machines at all. Physics are ok. I would say TPA is a step better.

The interesting thing for me about the Zaccaria app is that there are “update” DMD-ified versions of a bunch of games. Thankfully there are demos of every game to try. Frame rate is a bit iffy tho - if they can get it to 60fps like TPA & Zen, it might be worth buying some tables.

#1094 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Paladins is now FREE on switch!!!

Downloaded it, played it, hated it, deleted it.

Back to Splatoon! Lol

3 weeks later
#1142 5 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

We just got one of these a few weeks ago and my wife is now addicted to Splatoon. I'm glad that this thing is portable so that she isn't hogging up the television when I want to play PS4/XBONE

Splatoon is addictive as F. I’ve racked up 445 hours...the people I’m matched with have like 1200-2000 hours. I’ve taken a bit of a break...haven’t played for a couple weeks. Maybe I’ll jump back on for the next Splatfest.

#1153 5 years ago
Quoted from acedanger:

Switch has a couple of amazing games. That's why I purchased it for my trip coming up; sadly I returned it. I felt like it was cheaply made & ran really hot. Went out & got a 3DS way better especially for it being less than half the price of the Switch. I'm much happier now & IMO God of War for PS4 is unbelievable & Spiderman for PS4 looks amazing. I love the nostalgia of Nintendo but I feel in recent years they rely more on gimmicks than actual a decent solid gaming console.

You’re out of the club, traitor! Enjoy God of Pores & Mocap-Man! Your loss.

#1161 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

So many of those indies are already out and at a lower price. How many games are available on competing hardware? All 3rd party titles will be superior on other platforms. Is it so wrong to wish multi platform games were as good on Nintendo as they are on other platforms? I love Nintendo just wish they would get back in the game and out of this little niche market.

If Nintendo hardware did the exact same thing Xbox & PS4 do, why would anyone want or need one? Nintendo stays relevant by offering something no one else does. Not everyone cares about specs. The games & system concept speak for themselves. People keep telling me how great other platforms look. Specs mean nothing when art direction is what I see as a player. All PS4 & Xbox games look like the same exact motion capture mannequins in realistic environments. That bores me. Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, ARMS...THAT’S playable art!

I’ve never bought indie games on other platforms. I have now bought a ton of them because I can take Switch with me and play anywhere. Plus, they feel “at home” on a Nintendo platform. I have like 65 games on my Switch. I never bought that many games for any previous platforms...and it’s only been a year and a half. Not only that, great games CAN can played again ya know. I put 180 hrs on Zelda & started again on the Master mode. I started Mario Odyssey over again, too. Why not? You don’t have to rush thru every game & never touch it again. Savor these works of art.

#1162 5 years ago

I really just want a better marketplace layout. I hate theres 900 games and I can only see like 30 without digging deep

I have a feeling we’ll see a major update in Sept. when the new online service goes live. They really do need to organize the store into genres and whatnot. They’ve heard the feedback. I think we’ll
see a nicely revamped store soon.

#1164 5 years ago

Quoted from northvibe:I really hope a war craft comes out or wc2 is remastered
I hope d3 sells like bonkers to prove blizzard should bring more games to switch!
Could you imagine a new lost Vikings game???

That and Blackthorne were the last two Blizzard games I played. I dunno what all this PC stuff is all about. Diablo what?

#1174 5 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

You missed out big time. SC2 was one of the best games in recent memory. Well worth the cash. Same for D3 and its expansion.
I'm waiting for another Warcraft 3 type game

I didn’t miss out at all. I don’t like PC style games at all.

#1183 5 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

Ares is tucked into a corner and pulled out when my son wants to play or during parties.

Who is Ares?

#1197 5 years ago

The Amazon discount was what was keeping me from going mostly digital....I might just go that route from now on with certain games (if I know they’ll be keepers).

#1199 5 years ago

Yoku’s Island Express is on sale on the eShop for $11.99!!! Sweeeeet!!!

#1210 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

anyone try the monster hunter demo? I remember playing MH on wii and really liking it. But after playing this demo, maybe I forgot...but it plays really clunky and meh.

Yeah I don’t get it at all. Someone told me that unless you’ve played it since the PS2 era, it doesn’t make much sense. I deleted it pretty quick and have no interest in figuring it out.

#1212 5 years ago

I have been a huge MH fan since Ultimate 3 on the 3ds. I have played them all since and am still pretty active on MH World. It is a very technical game with a steep learning curve but a ton of great videos and tips out there from the community.
I do not know if I wanna buy it for the switch since I have so much time vested on my ps4 now and its pretty much the same game. I guess ill see

It would be nice if the demo told you what this learning curve is. I ran around as an annoying cat thing for 20 minutes hacking at a dinosaur and nothing would happen. Boring AF. If there’s something to it, clearly Capcom doesn’t want new players to know.

#1215 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Hollow Knight is on sale for $9.90 if anyone is on the fence with this one.
South Park is 50% off, but I haven't heard if they fixed all the bugs yet.
Mario + Rabbids is also 50% off.

Ubisoft sale is over.

South Park is awesome & the bugs are fixed. I was pretty annoyed that all the Ubisoft stuff was in sale EXCEPT the DLC. What a slap to those of us who already have SP. I thought about buying the Gold Edition on sale and selling my cart, but I have such a backlog right now I can hold off till they put the DLC on sale.

#1219 5 years ago
Quoted from boslj:

Hollow Knight is no longer on sale.

Dang that was quick. I grabbed it while it was. Pretty cool, but I’ve barely scratched the surface. I got
hooked on Yoku’s! I finished it last nite, but not 100%. I might wanna keep plugging away at that...and I also wanna finish L.A. Noire. Then I think I’ll jump back on Hollow Knight.

#1228 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Does it have a map ? I'm happy to get lost in Metroid's mazes, but hate it without a map !

It has maps. It’s an awesome game. Great 8-bit graphics, but with bosses, animation & FX that go behind what NES could do. Incredible music. Really really cool and unique weapons which puts it a bit beyond most Metroid clones IMO. I got lost a few times and back tracked more than I would have liked - but it’s a legit great game and $10 is a steal.

#1238 5 years ago

if anyone also has an xbox one or playstation 4,
at best buy if you buy a 29.99 xb1 or ps4 game you get destiny 2 for free... but if you add a switch game that is 29.99 or up in your cart and add destiny 2 to your cart it makes the price zero.
so, if you want to get a free destiny 2 and looking to pick up a $30+ game you can

I'm confused - is this a trick to get 2 free Destiny 2's?

#1241 5 years ago

no, just a way to get it free with the purchase of a switch game. the ps4 and xb1 games auto put it in your cart for free but since destiny 2 is not on the switch it isnt listed as part of the promotion but it still works if you follow the simple steps outlined in my previous post.

Oooh oh ohh...gotcha. I'm getting a PS4 tomorrow and want to buy Shadow of the Colossus, and saw the free Destiny 2 deal...although I don't really want Destiny 2 lol

#1244 5 years ago

yeah, may as well take it though if youre getting a $30 game, can trade it in for a few bucks towards something at game stop
guessing youre getting the spiderman ps4 that comes out tomorrow?

Yup, Spidey is the game that made me buckle...I loved the Spider-Man games on PS2 & 3, so I pre-ordered the Spidey Red PS4 Pro. This will be my first "skin 'n pores" game - I'll let it slide cuz it's Spidey hehehe.

#1246 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Excellent choice, Shadow of the Colossus is an absolute masterpiece and this remake takes it to the next step, especially with how each colossi becomes more organic which in turn makes killing them even more emotional.

I have the PS2 and PS3 versions, but never finished them! That will change now with this remake!

#1249 5 years ago

if you missed the first run of the Yooka-Laylee Limited Run Games collectors edition, the second batch goes on sale this afternoon, link shows count down.
first batch sold out in less than a minute, got in right away and scored one. The n64 cart is what sold the collectors edition for me.
https://www.limitedrungames.com/collections/games/products/switch-limited-run-13-yooka-laylee-classic-edition-preorder

Eh, I'll wait till it's on the eShop for $10.

#1254 5 years ago

Yeah this physical edition I might skip although I do enjoy owning the cartridges....not sure this title is worth $50.

I mean I guess the nice thing about having the cart is being able to sell it later if you get bored or don't like it...but when a digital game is cheap enough, I don't mind biting. It's kinda the same difference at that point.

#1259 5 years ago

Paypal Digital Gift Cards has $50 eShop cards for $45 right now!!

Also, Rive: Ultimate Edition is on sale for $8 ...it’s an amazing shooter/platformer that’s really a love letter to classic games while looking insanely modern and gorgeous. A very funny & fun game. Total steal at that price.

#1261 5 years ago

I am a big platformer and shmup fan but didn’t like Rive at all. It felt overly complex, repetitive, and I wasn’t having fun playing it.
Great price yeah.

Complex? Wow, I found it to be just a buttery smooth gameplay experience...it guides you everywhere you need to go. You shoot, you hack, you buy power ups, you shoot some more. What was complex about it? I loved every second of it.

#1270 5 years ago
Quoted from insx:

I might have to get that and Yoku's Island is on sale again too!

Word is that all GameStops converted their new Yokus to used & selling them for $16. Pretty sweet if you want it physical.

#1271 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I'm not quite sure about this. it makes it sound that once you've linked your user account to a system, you can't unlink it.

I don’t think it has anything to do with the system - I think it’s for the cloud saves. Your profile becomes part of your account, so your profiles saved are the ones saved to your account and no one else’s.

#1291 5 years ago
Quoted from Spinape:

That just summed up my life. Tons of incomplete projects / games / etc. It’s too easy to get distracted by the next exciting thing

When I see gamers complaining there aren’t enough new games or this game is too short, I’m like “WTF is wrong with people?!?!” There are over 1000 games on Switch & the big ones have such infinite replay value. If I only had BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, ARMS & Mario Kart, I could just play those games forever. But I have 60-something games on my Switch & am backlogged AF! AND - I just got a PS4 for Spider-Man so now there’s that. I haven’t turned on a pinball machine in weeks...lol. Maybe time to sell ‘em all and just be a video game guy again.

#1296 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

After a while, all games are devolved into their basest forms. You either shoot something, find something, or hit AAAAAAA over and over again It all becomes the same after a while.
You'll regret selling your machines

You can say the same for pinball. Games like Splatoon 2 and ARMS can infinitely test your skills in online matches...unlike storybased games, a good online game can be fun forever (or until people stop playing).

I won't sell all my pins, but I do want to cull the herd a little. I don't need so many when I never turn them on.

#1298 5 years ago

Hey guys, this cool game is on sale for only $2.99 right now! It's pretty good if you like sci-fi puzzle/platformers like Flashback and Out of this World!

#1301 5 years ago
Quoted from Spinape:

I’m having a hard time getting into dead cells. Great fluid combat and music. Also, a neat idea... but the starting over thing drives me nuts!!

Even tho you start over, it allows you to keep some powers and weapons, right? Enter the Gungeon & Flinthook are also hard as F & death is permenant, but you get to keep what you collected which helps each time you go back in.

#1306 5 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Rouge like games may not be for you then. I personally love them. The possibility of everything coming together for a run keeps me going. Unlocking new blue prints and abilities is a drive for me too. I have several rouge like games on the switch already but this one is my favorite.
Binding of Isaac
Enter the Gungeon
Dead Cells
Into the Breach

I initially hated them, partially because I hated the term (I had never heard of Rogue and now every f-king game on the eShop is roguelike or roguelite lol), and partially because I love great level design and though the idea of randomly generated levels was stupid. I’ve come around though, as I’ve found a few of these games massively addicting & they seem to have more replay incentive than “normal” games. I hated Isaac, tho lol. I love:

Flame in the Flood
Enter the Gungeon
Flint Hook

I’m sure I’ll try Dead Cells once my backlog is a bit less huge or when it goes on sale (that’s my weak point and why my backlog grows).

#1311 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Splatoon 2 for sale - PM me. $38 shipped. Thanks

This is not a reality I can remotely comprehend.

SPLATFEST THIS WEEKEND!!!

Retro Vs. Modern. You know what side I’m on.

#1317 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yes, that may be a better match for me. Do they have wireless controllers and headphones? Does the SNES mini look okay on a modern television?

It’s HDMI, it’s made for modern television. Looks great. You can choose a CRT scanline mode if you want it to look more retro.

Headphones would be up to you and your audio system.

Wireless controls are made by 3rd parties.

#1340 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

BTW, this game is hard to get used to. The variable distance jumps are killing me

Two things that might help. You can use X instead of B, and that makes controls way more comfy. If you're playing on TV, make sure you're using a "GAME" or "FAST" mode...turn off all shitty post-processing modes like soap-opera-vision and dynamic contrast. All that stuff adds LAG that makes retro gameplay SUUUUUUCK.

#1341 5 years ago

I was playing NES on Switch last nite, and set up an online room - a friend eventually joined me, and it was pretty fun. You can use the right analog to move a little finger around, and click it to applause. This was a fun way to react when we did something cool, or for him to tell me what game we should play next.

I gotta say, I'm disappointed in the color palette they're using for NES. It's wonky as F. Look at the Switch colors compared to the same games on 3DS:

SMB.jpgSMB.jpgYoshi.jpgYoshi.jpgZelda.jpgZelda.jpg
#1343 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm going to have to get my subscription in the next few days. so it sounds like they will be adding to the classic library in the future and it will be ongoing?

Yeah, I think I read that they're adding 3 games per month? Right now the NES batch is it's own app, so I'm guessing a SNES app will launch soon as well...and who knows, maybe N64, Gamecube after that? I hope?

#1348 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I also read somewhere that it will be a "Netflix" styled gallery, leading me to believe that they will add in and rotate out classic games. If that's the case, then $20/yr is a complete no-brainer, just for that alone. I don't play online games, so I'd just be getting the subscription for the classic library. Would be awesome to be able to tap into the SNES , N64, and GC library!

Playing the NES games online with a friend is pretty neat though - last nite I played Dr. Mario, Balloon Fight, Ice Climber and Mario Bros. w/ a friend online.

#1350 5 years ago

[quoted image]
whoops dyslexia'd two numbers

I added you nerds If you see Greg ©, dats me.

#1353 5 years ago

Gotcha this time!!
I accepted the super nerd Greg too!!

Yeeeah! Fire up Splatoon 2 and get in on the Splatfest this weekend!!!

#1360 5 years ago

I own the game buuuut never got into it...I will at some point though. I’m not exceptional at FPS gamrs.

I hate FPS games. Love Splatoon tho. 3rd person, colorful, awesome music and style, and it’s about inking turf, not just killing!

Go to the lobby and pick a team - even if you don’t play the Splatfest you’ll get some snails from your side.

#1361 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Just bought a yr. Subscription. This will be sweet. Hope the do uniracers for snes lol. I've added anyone who I saw provided user tags I left mine as well in case I missed anyone. Always down for some ice hockey or techmo bowl!!!

You’ll never see an official re-release of Uniracers. Pixar sued over its likeness to one of their shorts.

#1363 5 years ago

They did lots of shorts and commercials before Toy Story, like those Listerine Tarzan song commercials.

#1370 5 years ago

You always see gamers in internetland bitching about Nintendo's approach to voice chat and whatnot...but clearly it isn't a deal breaker, as the Switch is selling great and provides what it promises: A great Nintendo gaming experience at home or on the go. They're NEVER going to try to be a PS/Xbox/PC clone, so people will enjoy things a lot more if they stop trying to will that into existence.

I've been playing Nintendo games online since the DS, and have enjoyed it. I never used voice chat or wanted to. I can't imagine wanting to hear people screaming and yelling and swearing over the game's music & sound FX. However if you want voice chat, you can do it on the app....and again, I see people complain, but I don't see what the big deal is. Everyone has a phone. If you're playing Switch docked, the controller doesn't have a headphone hack...so, you put your phone next to you and chat that way.

Even though the internet is super loud about this topic, I think the majority of Switch players really don't care about it. I just got a PS4 and it has billions of features...it's overwhelming and cluttered - I'm never going to use any of those things. I love that the Switch is just gaming boiled down to the essentials...for me, anyway. Nintendo = gaming. I've always loved Nintendo home & portable systems...now I have both in one. Perfect.

#1373 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I could care less about voice but you're not defending the use of friends codes to connect to people vs an additional auto match option so I'm not responsible for keeping a log of numbers so I can connect to people right?
I know you're a die-hard Nintendo fanboy but certainly you couldn't defend this 1993 internet connectivity approach.... Right?

You can link a Switch to you FB & Twitter accounts & you can make friends that way as well.

Splatoon, ARMS, Mario Kart connect you to randoms...then you can search people you played with and add them as friends. There are way more ways than friend codes to connect with people. It’s a non issue.

Do you honestly use the capture button? This has nothing to do with gaming to me, and ends up being more of an annoyance due to the placement. PS4 has a capture button that I've rarely pressed on accident (it has happened).

All the time! I post pics and vids of Splatoon on Facebook like a 12 year old. Lol

#1375 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Binding of Isaac and Cave Story + are both half off today.
These are both fun but expensive switch games, so a great deal at this point. I paid $40 for Isaac when it came out, and have played it more than most of my games (although I am still absolutely terrible at it).

Ooh lots of Nicalis games are on sale. Ikaruga (I can’t see the price cuz I bought it already), Tiny Barbarian is awesome esp for $10 (I have it on cart), VVVVV is worth $5 (I have it on 3DS). Knight Terrors is even worth $2!

#1379 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I was talking about the online NES games. I don't believe you can connect to randoms.
and I don't post on social media. It's the poison of society.

Yeah, I suppose with NES they're going for a more "intimate" experience with real friends, since it's not really a "ranked" style online play like Splatoon, ARMS, or Mario Kart.

I don't use much social media, but I have FB set privately & 95% only interact with real life people I actually know. Some of them also have Switch, and if you link to FB you can become Switch friends. Since you don't use social media, Friend Codes seems perfect for you.

#1381 5 years ago
Quoted from SpiffyRob:

Welp, that'll do it. 120 hours of Binding of Isaac already on PC, and I tried desperately to not buy it again, but it's out of my hands now.
For any rhythm game fans, take a look at Old School Musical. Pretty straightforward in terms of gameplay (hit a face button or shoulder button as the corresponding icon approaches the center of the screen) but a really cool tribute to retro games and music. Each level has you playing over top of the two main characters walking through a scene inspired by a classic game. Music matches the scene, and the soundtrack is great!
The first few levels have tributes to Mega Man, TMNT (the NES one), Out Run, Metal Gear and more!

Old School Musical's on my list, but I'll prob just wait till its on sale. Seems like everything I buy goes on sale soon after, so why not wait.

#1383 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

This is starting to hold me back buying new stuff. Some of them seem to go on sale pretty quickly.

Yup. I’ve got such a backlog, I might as well wait. Still waiting for Celeste to go on sale. That one is stubborn lol

#1393 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Has anyone played Ittle Dew 2? It is Zelda like, but I haven’t heard much about it. Reviews seem really good though. At half off, it is still $15, which is on the higher end of what I have been paying for games lately, so I am trying to get some more info.
These sales the last couple of months are making me cheap, but I am spending way more on switch games overall now. Lol

I haven’t played Ittle Dew, but Blossom Tales is a great little Zelda clone...that’s been on sale for about $10 (or less?). Check that out next time it’s up on sale.

1 week later
#1403 5 years ago

This would kind of piss me off i think, i dunno maybe not. Nintendo has always released new versions of their handhelds a million times, but this would feel different.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10/04/new-version-of-nintendo-switch-reportedly-planned-for-2019

I've had like 10 different 3DS's lol ...I'm used to minor Nintendo upgrades by now.

#1406 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I would love to see fixed joycons with a real D-pad on the new version. I am never going to use the joycons separately, so that would be a perfect solution for me. I read a while back that they want to stretch the switch out for at least a decade, and I wouldn't mind a few performance bumps along the way. I just think being able to play these same games for a long time on a current system is a great thing. I am 47 now, and it would be really cool to be able to just keep adding to my library for the rest of my life. That is probably too much to ask, but a decade o more is great.

Even if they had a model w/ fixed Joy-Cons, you'd prob still be able to connect extra joycons to it for situations that need it.

I need separate Joy-Cons for ARMS!!!

#1412 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I also got Splatoon 2 because a friend wanted me to so we could play it online but im just not feeling that game at all, seems stupid AF to me.....maybe im missing something i dont know but its just not fun at all so far to me..

It's literally the greatest game ever made....so, figures you wouldn't like it lol.

Watch some competitive play and weapon tutorials on Youtube. Splatoon 2 is deep deep deep. There's a lot to understand to git good.

#1414 5 years ago

Speaking of Splatoon...HAPPY SPLATOWEEN!

If you open Splatoon 2 through an article that just appeared in the newsfeed, you get 4 new free Halloween masks to wear in the game!

You can also pick Team TRICK or Team TREAT for the upcoming worldwide Splatfest! WOOOMY!

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 11.24.03 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-03 at 11.24.03 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-03 at 11.24.18 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-03 at 11.24.18 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-03 at 11.24.29 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-03 at 11.24.29 AM (resized).png
#1416 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

You can play those online. You can buy the arcade version of Donkey Kong for $8. No online, but definitely a better version. I like tropical freeze, but suck at it. Even in funky mode, I find ways to die way too often.
If you like Zelda at all, breath of the wild is a must play.
My PS4 has not been used since I bought the switch at launch. I am considering selling it. I play mostly indies, and really like the option to play them portably.

I bought a PS4 for Spider-Man but haven't touched it since I finished the game. I'll go back when the DLC drops, but I'm back on my Switch 100%!

#1418 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I am probably missing the same thing as you are... I just don't get this game at all. I have splatoon 1 and splatoon 2, and don't get the appeal of either of them.

What don't you get? I'll help you out.

What I love about Splatoon:

-The entire aesthetic...the colors, the world, the incredible music.
-I hate first person games, so having a shooter than's 3rd person is great, and I love that you get shooter gameplay without it being about war and murder.
-Turning into a squid rules, and hiding/swimming in ink is super fun.
-Tons of way to play...with all the weapons, subs and supers, anyone can come up with crazy strategy.
-MOTION AIMING! This takes gameplay to another level...the precision of motion aiming makes gameplay so satisfying.
-Special events: SPLATFEST! Splatfests are a fun way to compete & get prizes...and each one has a special custom level only for that time period.
-Multiple modes: Turf War is fun, but getting competitive and rising in the ranks with Clam Blitz, Tower Defense, Splat Zones & Rainmaker mixes up gameplay and strategy, forcing you to try new weapons and playstyles.
-Salmon Run: A great co-op mode, working together with friends and earning prizes.
-Great 1p modes: The stock 1p mode is super fun, with great boss fights and allows you to learn the game mechanics offline...and the Octo Expansion DLC is a great "hardcore" 1p mode that'll really test your skills!

#1423 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Those all sound great, I still don't get it..... LOL....There isn't one thing I can place my finger on where I can identify why I don't like it, it just doesn't jive with me at all. Same deal with Arms..... I can't get into that one either. I don't usually play FPSs, so i don't think that is swaying why i don't like this game, in theory I should like it more becasue I don't gravitate towards FPSs.

Maybe you just don't like fast paced competitive games? ARMS and Splatoon are very fast paced and if you don't think and act very quickly constantly, you're boned. It's weird tho, cuz I never really liked competitive games, but I loved the graphics and music of these games so much, I totally got into the gameplay & got pretty good at them! ARMS with motion controls is the most fun I've had with fighting games since the 90's. Splatoon is the only shooter I'll play. After Splatoon's 60fps, motion controls, and great music, Fortnite just feels like garbage. I can't play it.

#1425 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

What I have seen from Fortnite I really like (not the graphics, they are garbage), but I really like the goofiness of it. (A shooting game where you bust out awkward dance moves? Riding around in a shopping cart for no damn reason? You have my attention)....
I get where you are coming from with your background, enjoying the visual appeal of these games, but in general, I am a 14 year old jackass that loves stupid/random crap....

Then you should like Splatoon! A kid turning into a squid!? Shooting ink everywhere and swimming around in it? Yelling "BOOYAH!" to your friends? Crazy music with it's own fake squid language for lyrics? Splatoon is Random AF!

#1429 5 years ago

The pro controller is so on point !
I wish it had a head phone jack and a way to turn on the system like ps/xb do tho

You can turn on the system w Pro or Joy-Cons...just press the home button, it’ll connect to the system in a sec & turn it on.

#1456 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I rarely play it. Friends played it nonstop during the prelaunch weekend, and I just haven't caught up, so I just suck at it. I can't get anyone I know to play simple rules.
I am actually hoping that rumors of dreamcast games coming to the switch are true so I can play virtua tennis again. lol

The pre-launch demo was so intensely frustrating, I didn't buy the game. Simple rules are probably better....I just couldn't wrap my head around the mechanics of all the special stuff. If you have the mindset to figure it out, it's probably super fun to dominate.

#1458 5 years ago

Zen Pinball FX3 has been updated with the Bally/Williams games! Fish Tales is free with the update, and the pack of MM, JY, and HS2 are $10! Wheeee!

#1459 5 years ago

Well, it's always something...the Zen B/W games are censored for some reason. These games were in public arcades...now they have to be censored in digital form? Why!?!?

They play pretty great, but how annoying.

Zen_censored.jpgZen_censored.jpg
#1462 5 years ago
Quoted from fumbleflippers:

Why are folks so up in arms on the censorship,

Cuz why do it? In 2018, there's nothing in these games that warrant censorship.

Quoted from fumbleflippers:

You’re losing out on a great simulation

No I'm not, I bought the pack already lol

#1471 5 years ago

wtf is even censored at the top of the castle? its just the tops of the towers as far as I can remember...
edit: or is that the DMD screen animation and something on it is censored? super weird, 100% out. wild world we live in, in 2018 you cant even show the dmd images from a pinball machine from the 90s?

It's the DMD. They're playing the "family friendly" rom. The "kill" scenes of the dragon are censored. I think some of the callouts are removed. Someone on FB said that the video modes have been changed (not sure if that's how the family rom was or if it was a further Zen change).

Apparently this is because Zen has an "E" rating. I don't see why it would be a big deal to just change it to a "T" rating. The SNES Classic has a "T" rating, and that hasn't stopped parents from buying it for their kids.

#1472 5 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Also have on PS4 and the physics of PFX3 suck. It is just off.
Pinball Arcade while a little less visual play soooo much better IMO.

They have new physics for the B/W tables. They play much better than PA ever did, IMO.

#1476 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Was playing FT briefly last night and thought it played pretty good. I’ll probably get the B/W pack. I have my controls setup for the flippers to be on the top L and R buttons but when you change the orientation to the long view up and down those buttons don’t work anymore. It’s ackward using those anyways so how do I change the controls in that view?

If you're in handheld mode and playing vertically, you can detach the "top" Joycon...then you use the touch screen for flippers.

If you are playing in vertical mode and have the Switch on a tabletop or a stand, you can hold a Joycon in each hand and still use the L and R buttons for your flippers.

#1485 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Also finished VVVVVV this past week. Tough as nails, but very satisfying. Had well over 1000 deaths, but enjoyed it start to finish with minimal rage, LOL. Tons of personality packed into the very simple graphics. Perfect feeling controls. Very clever.

VVVVVV is awesome, and the music is just phenomenal. There's a ton of extra content in it, too! Check out the Player created levels! It's like 18 sequels!

#1488 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I will be sure to check them out when I'm ready for the abuse...LOL! Then again I'm a couple levels in to Mega Man 11 and it isn't like that is much less abusive...

Yeah I've been playing MM11 pretty slow...I dove into Hollow Knight pretty hard and didn't wanna stop, cuz on a game like that - if I put it aside, I'll come back and forget everything. But yeah, MM11 is hard AF...and for some reason I'm being stubborn and not playing the easier mode. The shop items help a lot, though...I definitely make use of the energy tanks and whatnot.

#1490 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Hollow Knight is awesome.
I really enjoyed everything about that game.
Playing Mark of the Ninja now which is great too.

I've got 10 hrs into Hollow Knight...I've seen some of my friends with 100+ on it...is there THAT much in the game?!!?

#1495 5 years ago
Quoted from TheBrewhouse:

Yes it is a common problem. It came up in reviews a lot when the Switch first came out. Blows my mind Nintendo has not acknowledged it considering the nintendo DS systems had great wifi.

It depends on the router. With my old router, the Switch would get to 1 bar where all my other stuff had full bars. That router broke, and I set up an Apple Airport, now my Switch gets full bars. It's still not as good as other stuff if I take it further, but it doesn't have to be right next to it, and I've been playing online Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario Kart flawlessly without dropouts or errors. The Capcom games like Street Fighter Collection play like absolute garbage, though...and I'm not sure if that's a router thing or an issue with the actual game & its netcode.

#1498 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

So is Luigi's Mansion going to be any good?

I really like it on 3DS...I'll miss the 3D effects, though! They really enhance the game!

#1503 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I am playing DK Tropical Freeze right now and its pretty good so far but its kind of hard at times. Hopefully i will be able to get through it on the normal mode and move on to another game.soon.

It's a hardcore platformer. That's why they added the Funky Mode...so people can enjoy it if it's too hard in regular mode.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

I seen there was a review for it on the 3DS but its suppose to be on the Switch also i think? Ive never played Luigis Mansion before but it looks like maybe it could be fun?

Luigi's Mansion 3 has only been teased so far..it's supposed to come out sometime next year. It's basically a Ghostbusters type of game with Luigi...you sneak around a creepy mansion looking for various trinkets and keys, and you encounter and battle various types of ghosts that you have to suck up with your vacuum.

#1515 5 years ago

I see they're going to re-release New Super Mario Bros U on Switch. Couldn't they have just made an all new version? I don't much care for their trend at re-releasing games I already bought... but I might have to get NSMBU again.

I would have preferred an ultimate compilation of the "New" series. HD remasters of New SMB1 & 2 from DS, HD remaster of New SMB Wii in addition to the already HD New SMB U. I've double dipped on a few games...not sure if I will on this one. I have too much backlog at this point. ....but it's great for people who never played it or want it on the go.

#1524 5 years ago

Happy Halloween! ...and watch out for Satan worshipers on the slaughter in Splatoon hehe

09AB4678-AF79-4EAC-812F-33D7B48DF5E5.jpeg09AB4678-AF79-4EAC-812F-33D7B48DF5E5.jpegBC2BC67C-F54F-4FF7-A94E-FD2B5F40308E.jpegBC2BC67C-F54F-4FF7-A94E-FD2B5F40308E.jpegD575E9AF-37D9-45D8-8E4E-DB339AFAB3A8.jpegD575E9AF-37D9-45D8-8E4E-DB339AFAB3A8.jpeg
#1526 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Has anyone played the messenger? Worth buying?

It had a lot of hype but it seems to have fizzled. I was excited for it, but watched some videos and the music is really obnoxious. That killed it for me.

#1529 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I'm haven't played an RPG in a long time, but I am considering picking up Dark Souls: Remastered for the Switch. Any thoughts on this game? Download or physical?

Dark Souls is an RPG? I thought it was a super difficult action game.

#1534 5 years ago

I had never heard of a “roguelike” until a year ago. I ended up liking a lot of the indie ones line Flame In The Flood, Enter the Gungeon, Flinthook...but Dark souls doenst appeal to me. It’s too ugly and dark...not my style.

#1546 5 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I want to hook up my Switch in the theatre room. Doing so for me will be a 30 minute endeveour to move the AMP unit around. But before I do all of that I was wondering if the switch console needed to be infront of the players if we played Just Dance? Right now all my amps, players and connections or behind the coutch in the back wall. Can we play just dans and will the console figure out the location of the individuals even if the console is behind them and not in front of them?

That’s how mine is set up. All my equip is to the side of my couch & it works fine. Sometimes the right Joy-Con likes to lag or disconnect if I’m too far....but if I pull the dock out a bit it’s fine. Pro controller seems to hold a more stable connection....that’s never had an issue while playing far.

#1548 5 years ago

Just got an email from Limited Run Games saying they are partnering with Best Buy for certain switch releases including Golf Story and Yooka Laylee
Best Buy is ordering them the same time as when pre-orders are opened up but will have a different cover
Thought a big part of LRG was to get away from traditional retail hah

Maybe that means they didn't sell as many as they thought they would & they need to "dump" the carts?

#1550 5 years ago

said Best Buy ordered 5,000 Yooka Laylees out of the print run under 25,000 units.

I'm just waiting for it to be $20 or less on the eShop. Its like $16.99 on PSN right now...I can wait it out lol.

1 week later
#1558 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I have not been following or keeping up with anything Switch related. However I have a few 12 year olds asking for them for Xmas.
What’s the best deal out there or coming up?
Any do’s or don’ts?
Any other advice?

I keep an eye on the Switch Deals Reddit for deals.

There are various bundles if your kids want some kind of special edition & a game included. (Pokemon, Smash Bros)

I’d recommend a glass screen protector. They’re pretty cheap on amazon. Multipack for like $7. It’ll keep the screen from getting scuffed if they travel with it.

1 week later
#1564 5 years ago

Usually I hate trolls in Splatoon2, but this was kind of funny in a performance art sorta way. Two players named "God" and "HisFollwer" just stood on the spawn and rubbed their heads together.

Splat Troll.pngSplat Troll.png
1 week later
#1578 5 years ago

Splatoon made me geh.

Splatted.jpgSplatted.jpg
#1596 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

How good is super mario odyssey? I like games like donkey kong tropical freeze but for some reason when i look at the mario odyssey game it seems very kiddish. I mean i realize its for kids but is it also fun for adults? I dont want it if its for a 5 year old. Im not being a dick either, seriously wanting to know if adults can like this game also. Amazon has it for 43 dollars right now i noticed.

It’s one of the greatest games ever made. It’s pure art. It’s not “for kids”.

#1606 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Great info but this is one of the things that drives me nuts about Nintendo. Why do we have to pay so much more for games, it takes a pricing error to get the same product at the same price. Actually portability aside, the other console versions are typically better.

Nintendo doesn’t make Diablo or Doom. For the publisher it’s a new game. For the Nintendo audience it’s a new game. So, they launch at new game prices.

#1618 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

There's no way in hell that you will see something like that on the Switch because Nintendo definitely has kids in mind as their target audience. You can probably get it on the PC though.

Um, Skyward Sword is a Zelda game. You’ll never see it on a PC.

Also kids aren’t their target audience. Watch a Switch commercial. It’s usually 20-somethings.

I’ve been playing the South Park games & LA Noire on my Switch. Not exactly kids stuff. Switch’s target audience: EVERYONE.

#1622 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Are you playing the fractured butt whole? I've been wondering how good it is? Enlighten us.

Fractured But Whole is amazing - I think you just missed the sale though. I don’t even like turn based games at all, but it’s so fun and funny I played through the whole thing. It’s truly an interactive version of the show. I bought Stick of a Truth on sale for $15, so now I’m playing that (even tho that one came out first). Also very fun, but I think Fractured expanded and improved upon the concept in every way.

#1623 5 years ago

i think he meant to quote my post above it about the Peach Ball game

Ah. Well there’s already those weird Japanese porn games, Gal Gun 2, and DOA Volleyball was just announced. Weird Pervy shit comes out in the US for Switch.

#1627 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I thought he meant the pinball game. You will never ever see that on a Nintendo system ever i guarantee it. We can agree to disagree but I still think that Nintendo is geared toward kids mainly. Im not saying thats a bad thing either, but its just how i feel. I am glad that they have started getting some games like Diablo and Dark Souls and stuff though, thats pretty awesome.

That Peach Ball video is from the Switch version. Soooo....yeah.

Again, South Park games are hard R. LA Noire is hard R. Gal Gun 2 is about shooting girls with an orgasm gun. DOA Volleyball is about jiggly boobs and butts. The “Kids” Nintendo you’re thinking about ended in the 90’s when they gave up their censorship rules and allowed Mortal Kombat 2 on SNES with blood and fatalities. Ever see Conker’s Bad Fur Day on N64? One of the bosses is a giant piece of shit who sings about wiping his ass with you & calls you a twat.

Check this out - the Nintendo 64 version is unbleeped while the Xbox version was censored! LOL

#1631 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well thats great then. Im a little shocked but im glad to see it.

How can you be shocked? Uncensored games on Nintendo platforms since SNES lol.

#1633 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Because i haven't had a Nintendo system since the very first one that they made lol. I just always thought they were very clean G rated games.

Well, now you know. Welcome to 1994

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
#1638 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I cant even Remember when the first console came out, must have been mid 80's? We played mario, duck hunt, RBI baseball, Techmo Bowl and Mike Tysons punch out and stuff on it. We had some good times.

1985, Brotendo!

(And it’s Tecmo)

#1639 5 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

I can't remember for sure but I think you could turn off the censorship on the Xbox version.

Nope.

#1640 5 years ago

That boss had me in stitches on the N64! As did the bit when you walk about pissing on the little fire demon dude.
On balance, the N64 was my favourite console. The controller, good RARE games, Nintendo in-house games, no stupid loading times, plus the critical time to play and enjoy those games that i lack in older years. Blast Corps, GoldenEye, PDark, DK64, Banjo, Mario64, Ocarina, Majora, Star Fox, Jet Force Gemini, F-Zero X, Diddy Kong, 1080, Pilot wings, Conker’s, MKart 64... plus others! (Wrong thread, i appreciate, but such a good time).

At the time, I kinda hated the N64...I moved away from Nintendo and became a Playstation guy (and Sega Saturn). While I loved Mario 64, I found most of the games samey & blurry. All the best Nintendo 3rd parties moved to Sony, and they were just killing it in every genre...plus CD sound, cutscenes, cheaper games. On PS1 I loved the Ridge Racer series (that’s where Rare Hero comes from), Oddworld games, Wipeout series, Brave Fencer Musashi, Megaman continued on PS1, Castlevania SOTN, Metal Gear Solid, etc etc. The music genre started on PS1 with Parappa The Rapper, Um Jammer Lammy, Bust-a-Groove, and import DDR & Beatmania. I bought N64 when Conker came out...that’s the game that turned me onto the system.

#1643 5 years ago

if you are into physical games of digital releases...
super rare games has some copies of N++ left as well as Snake Pass
about $32.5 usd each
made 4,000 copies of each (32% stock left of N++ and 2% of Snake Pass as of this post)
https://superraregames.com/collections/products
I guess they have 1% of stock left of the Mutant Mudds Collection as well, says last 20 copies remain

Physical is tough when they’re so cheap on the eShop. Mutant Mudds was just $7.50. I’m getting Katamari physical since it’s $30 on eShop and cart.

#1645 5 years ago

yeah, they are really aimed at collectors. if you are just in it to play the games digital is probably the way to go.

Yeah, collecting doesn’t mean anything to me. If a game is under $10, digital is a no brainer. Expensive games I get physical “on principal”....and games I’m not sure I’ll like or want to keep, I always buy physical so I can sell later.

#1648 5 years ago

Traded my SNES with loads of top games - all mint, boxed, for a PS1. Initially felt right, it was the cooler console, but BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER (apart from C&C Red Alert). Never clicked with the PS1. Got fed up with Snake constantly taking phone calls mid-game - worse than modern parents! Didn't like the controller, and it put me off buying any future Sony consoles. RE: Ridge Racer - played that in the arcades only, like Virtua Racer and Daytooooooooooooooonaaaaaaaaaaa.
By "cheaper games", i am sure we're not talking about copies here

No, games on disc were cheaper than cartridge. PS1 games were $50 new & went on sale pretty quickly, N64 games were $60-70 & rarely price dropped.

PS1 had some amazing Ridge Racer titles that weren’t in the arcades. Rage Racer & R4 were phenomenal.

#1657 5 years ago

I loved the RR titles as well. That’s what got me into racing games. The original RR disc would allow you to pull the disc out during a race and add a music CD to play your own tunes during the race...really neat feature that was never used again that I can recall.

Some games let you do that if the whole game fit in the system's memory & the audio was redbook. The Ridge Racer sequels were much bigger, had tons more music, and had lots of loading between races for this and that.

#1658 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Anyone in this thread down for some Unreal Tournament action?

SPLATOON 2, biiiitches!!!!

#1660 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I meant doing an old school PC tournament, haha. Not the switch version. Won't have a switch until Christmas, so maybe after that I'll check out Splatoon 2!

This is Switch Club! Members play games on Switch...we all know PC's are for Email and porn.

634 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Rarehero. You are on page 1 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.