q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#85 6 years ago

I got a Switch last night and spent several hours playing BOTW and the Octopath Traveler demo. Gotta say goth games are amazing in their own right. Gonna get Odyssey when im done with BOTW, gonna get OT when that gets released, and looking forward to whatever Metroid comes out (assuming they make one). The last Nintendo system I had was a Gamecube and really never felt the urge to buy anything in between but Nintendo really stepped it up with the Switch this time. Looking forward to the games coming out for it!

2 weeks later
#284 6 years ago
Quoted from peaceboy666:

8/10.def not 10/10 game

Quoted from jayhawkai:

Hard to find fault with that well-reasoned argument.

Not COD
1/10

4 months later
#608 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The only problem I have with digital is you shift any value left in the games from the physical media to being permanently locked to your account.
You can never recover any of that value. I suppose it doesn't really matter if you only buy 3 or 4 games a year, but if you go through 4 a month it helps to be able to resell them to friends or share the cost of single player games so we each can play different games at a much lower cost.
Plus you can almost always pick up the physical releases cheaper than the digital ones, which doesn't make sense to me. Use Amazon if you are pre-ordering and you get it on launch day with a nice discount. Best Buy Gamer's Club if it's after launch day for the same discount and the ease of walking into a store to pick it up on the way home from work.

I just preordered Octopath Traveler from Amazon with a nice 20% discount. Have to be a Prime member, but I've been one for the last 10 years. Delivery on release day. Can't beat that!

1 month later
#762 5 years ago

Looks like there will be a paid subscription for online play and classic NES games coming in September. $20/yr. Might be worth it just for the classic NES games if you're not into online play (which I'm not).

Also played BlazBlue Cross Tag over the weekend. Beautiful looking game, but too simplistic fighting system. I'm not really caring for the "one-button-combo" trend that all of the fighting games have moved towards...

#802 5 years ago

Anyone excited for Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night?
Curse gets released on Thursday, i think. Will definitely be buying for $10. Ritual release date is TBA from what I can see, but definitely buying that too. Haven't played a good Metroidvania since SotN.

#804 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

the $10 one looks awesome, might actually have to buy a digital game to play it

I don't believe there will be a physical copy. The game was part of the stretch goals for the kickstarter for Ritual. Looks like an awesome throwback to Castlevania III with the character switching and general gameplay.

1 week later
#878 5 years ago

All this talk about Yoku's Island, I'm going to have to check it out now!

1 week later
#933 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I really hope that the title is a real one (I got it from a leaked E3 list) considering that FFT is the first strategy guide that I authored for prima back in the day

I played the hell out of Tactics back in the day! I remember following guides to get Cloud as a playable character. Good times!

3 weeks later
#1017 5 years ago

Nintendo Switch B/S/T thread?

I'm all for it . I just have trouble letting go of games I buy because I'm too lazy...but if anyone is interested, I'd let go of my Zelda BOTW or Mario + Rabbids.

I'd trade for Mario Odyssey or Mario Kart 8.

#1027 5 years ago

octopath comes out tomorrow, im pretty excited! Have the special edition en route

Was just coming here to post this! I have just the standard edition coming but cant wait either way. I really enjoyed the demo and can't wait to really sink my teeth in. Going to try to enjoy it over the TV and theater system to really get the experience.

#1038 5 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Not sure if it was mentioned already here but did you guys see the flip grip kickstarter?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fangamer/flip-grip
definitely will help with those vertical games.

If you guys listen to the Retronauts podcast at all, the host Jeremy Parish (has also done editorials for lots of video game magazines over the years) is a co-creator of this, if that helps at all. Seems like it would be welcomed for vertical shmups, Pinball Arcade, and the like.

#1040 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For anyone that is a fan of 3D platformers with an RPG twist the game Dead Cells will be released for the Switch on August 7th. The game has been in early access on Steam (PC) with great reviews.

Metroidvania style? Right up my alley!

#1043 5 years ago

I usually don't go for third party peripherals, but does anyone have a good alternative to the Pro controller? I can't justify the $65 price tag on those puppies.

#1046 5 years ago

found this as an alternative. I've got a couple PS4 controllers that I would probably prefer
https://www.amazon.com/Magic-NS-Wireless-Xbox360-Controller-Mayflash-Windows/dp/B079B5KHWQ/ref=sr_1_2

#1054 5 years ago

I've put on about 6 hours into Octopath Traveler, in addition to the 3 hours from the Demo, and if you're a fan of JRPGs, this is a must have. The battle system as awesome! It's not just mash the X button over and over again until you get through the fight. Each fight actually takes thought (with the Break system) and the visuals are some of the best 2.5D pixel art out there. There's also each character's unique action that they can take in the world map when talking to NPCs. This makes for some thought with who to put in your 4 character party to help you with each town map and the side missions available. There's also a Job system that I haven't even unlocked yet! I'm currently working on collecting my last character so I'm not sure if that's when it opens up the Job system. Lastly, one of the reviewers (I think it was IGN) said he's put in 55+ hours, and there are STILL some fights that kick his ass!

Highly recommended! I haven't played a good JRPG in I dont know how long!

#1063 5 years ago

Wow. A good problem for them I guess. I preordered on Amazon and got it on release day. I preordered back in March?? Not sure if they do it by date or how they determine who gets a copy and who doesn't. Maybe I'm a lucky one

#1071 5 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I'm not sure exactly how it works but it's definitely not by when you order it. Because I preordered as soon as the link was up. I was hitting refresh waiting for it to pop because I was going to get the wayfairer's edition. Ended up going standard. I think it depends on where you are in relation to the distribution centers which are carrying the item. I don't have Prime, but I have ordered several games standard and gotten them on release day. but for the last 3 releases I've preordered, I'm 0/3 getting them on time. For the first 2, at least they were in transit by release day. Not so much for Octopath.

It might have been because you're not Prime? I'm a Prime member and there is a distribution warehouse less than 2 hrs away from me, so it might be a combination of both. Plus it sounds like there was a shortage at brick n' mortar stores too.

I typically dont pre order games and usually wait for reviews to come out before buying but the demos for this were so good and I love the fact that they took feedback from their first demo to make improvements.

Seems like the wait is only a couple weeks so that's not too bad at least.

#1076 5 years ago

The Zaccaria Pinball app is available on the Nintendo Switch store. It operates similarly to TPA, where you get one game free, but can sample any of the available games up to a point limit. Some interesting pins. I had not seem many (or any really) of these machines at all. Physics are ok. I would say TPA is a step better.

#1082 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I'm at 24 hours on Octopath Traveller in 4 days, it's not obsessional yet but getting close to it ! That's where the Switch is a fantastic system, Octopath follows me to my couch, to bed, to the bathroom and to "work" (can't say I've done much of that this week!).
It's nothing short from a masterpiece RPG, a tribute to the golden era of the 16 bits machine, while bringing some new and thrilling ideas to the table.
Definitely my killer title of the Switch so far, and of the year all together.

The first boss fight that I'm encountering after collecting all of my members is *killing* me. It's Omar on Tressa's first main quest. I went at it for a good hour before he buffed and wiped out my team in consecutive 2 attacks! Even after grinding up to lvl 25 or so (recommended lvl 18 or something, right....), he's still giving me a hard time. I'm going to have to try Cyrus's quest again in the same town...I've never had an RPG kick my ass this bad since FFVII Ruby/Emerald Weapon fights!

#1085 5 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

This game definitely relies on good strategy around the break and boost mechanics. I am about 12 hours in and just collected all 8 travelers. I know that's a slow pace, but I like to explore and talk to everyone. I've run into a couple caves and enemies that just destroyed me. I had a good plan, just couldn't get the breaks fast enough. I'm starting to think I need to make a run on the shrines and get everyone a subjob before moving on to anyone's Chapter 2. That way I won't run into encounters where one or 2 members are worthless.

That was my next plan. This way you get more XP, get at least all of your primary skills, better equipment, then work on at least some of your subjob skills. But man, its decieving when it says recommended level X and you completely get your ass handed to you! Each fight takes several minutes with actual thought, so it's not like the old days where you can just mash the Confirm button. Such a great game. I wish I had more time!

Have you noticed if enemies scaled up with your levels?

#1089 5 years ago

I have H'annit, Ophelia, Tressa, and Olberic.

Tressa's boosted dodge skill is a lifesaver, Olberic is my heavy hitter, Ophelia is my healer. H'annit was my primary character, so I've just kept her around for her Beast Lore. i would need to level up my other characters as they are lvl 12+ only.

#1092 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I started spending all my money on weapons, then realized direct attacks (as in weapon with attack commands) are not what takes down bosses, Cyrus does heavy damages with magic once boosted at Max. So I end up spending most of my money on defense gear and use base weapons to break ennemies then all out on anyone with magic.
Also make sure you upgrade your skills, it brings powerful magic and strong attacks, I totally forgot about doing that while gathering the 8 characters, so I got thousands of points to use at once which make combats way easier.
I haven't been stuck on any boss so far, and come with at least one character at the minimum level shown but when I feel combat is too unbalanced I stop the quest and come back with the proper people or go on another quest to do some grinding.
My base team is Olberic, Cyrus and Ha'anit, the 4th spot goes to whoever quest I take. Otherwise I keep Ophilia to heal, although healing items are not too expensive to buy. Another thing is to take the time to complete side quests they reward you with some great gear and use Therion's steal to get some good healing items.
Boss fights are epic, but there's a clear shift in difficuluty between the first part of gathering the team and what comes next. I just love this game, and definitely aim at a 100% completion

Yeah, I've been checking my skills menu regularly to make sure I can learn new skills when I have the points.

I'm having a hard time understanding the side quests! I think I've completed one by beating them up with H'annit's skill because he kept bothering another NPC or something like that, but otherwise, I've been largely ignoring side quests since they've all been kind of vague on what to do.

#1096 5 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

One of the things about side-quests is there isn't a lot of hand-holding. At least not the ones available immediately after chapter one. You het a journal entry to know it's important and that's about it. So far, I have managed to find the solution to most in that same town or in the near surrounding areas. Occasionally, travel to another town is required, but directions have been clear in that regard.

Yes, no spoilers please! lol

I like figuring things out, so I'll have to keep this in mind while I'm traveling around. Good to know that most sidequests can be completed within the town that they're in. I'm assuming having certain characters in your party so you can perform their specialized action is important for at least some of them. I think my next goal will be to travel around and find all of the sub-jobs. I will tuck my tail between my legs *yet again* and I'll have to revisit Omar and his gang when I'm a bit stronger.

1 week later
#1101 5 years ago

This might be a stupid question, but I'm on the road and tried using a charger for my Samsung Galaxy S8 at the hotel. It had half battery when I plugged it in. When I returned later in the day, the Switch's screen was blank and the battery indicator was drained down to red, with the charging symbol. Any idea if the charger wasn't compatible or if it was the outlet at the hotel for some reason? Im pretty sure I've charged it this way before. I'm confused lol

#1103 5 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Well, OK it's made by Hori but it has so much Nintendo branding all over it you would hardly know.
amazon.com link »

I like Hori but damn...its wired.

#1112 5 years ago

was it docked or straight to the switch?

Straight to it.

#1113 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Different charger for switch than Samsung. It won't work.

Do you know what the difference is?

#1115 5 years ago

I plugged it into the outlet at my brother-in-law's and it's charging. Must have been something with the outlets at the hotel? Strange.

#1120 5 years ago

Anyone play Dead Cell yet? I've been spending a lot of time on Octopath and I'm afraid that if I start a new game, i won't go back to it.

Quoted from adol75:

I'm at the final chapters, and all I can say is make sure you level up A LOT on the way !

How much time have you put in?

#1125 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

45 hours so far, and I haven't spent much time on the sidequests, there's also a bunch of high level caves that I haven't explored and I have 8 final chapters to complete while grinding a lot since the last final boss I encountered killed my whole team with one attack !
So I would say a good 15 hours more to complete at least.

I did some grinding on the front end. I'm at lvl 33 with my main character (H'annit) and most other characters are in the mid-upper 20s. I've just completed a few lvl 2 story lines, rather easily, at this level. Hopefully I can progress through without too much grinding any more! I gained a few levels looking for the 'job shrines' located in the middle-southern portion of the map. Got to find the rest of them now! 60 hrs into a JRPG seems rare these days! Glad to see I've got many more hours of playing this game. I hope it can hold my attention that long.

#1137 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Damn. Your done? I've completed 3 stories. Some of these shrine bosses seem invincible. I'm at 65 hrs.

Quoted from adol75:

59 hours to finish the main stories, but I’m very far behind on the side quests and couldn’t kill any of the shrine bosses they are still too strong. My team is around level 62, so I’m gonna grind while completings the sides. Still a long way to go !

What is this?!?! *Plugs my ears*

1 week later
#1203 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yoku’s Island Express is on sale on the eShop for $11.99!!! Sweeeeet!!!

I was waiting for a sale!

3 weeks later
#1281 5 years ago

Simple question. How does one keep up with all the games hitting the consoles these days? Seriously. If I start a game, I need to finish it without starting another one, simply because I would have moved on to that other game. But to even sit down for 20+ hours on one game before moving to another game hitting the shelves seems impossible to me!

then throw pinball into the mix!

Anyway, good variety for everyone I suppose!

#1285 5 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

This happens to me, too. I bought the Switch for Mario Odyssey, and have spent probably only an hour playing it. It was something I had planned to play through with my wife, but we never get time.
I chipped my way through BOTW and am right at Ganon, and haven't picked up the Switch for months since then...

BOTW was my first game. Spend probably 15hrs or so. Then wen back to Dragon's Dogma on PS4. That game has probably 45hrs or so. Then moved to Mario+Rabbids. Spend like an hour...not feeling the need to go back to BOTW. Now I'm on Octopath Traveler. This is a game I WANT to finish, so I've been avoiding everything else since. And again, add pinball to the mix!

#1290 5 years ago

Hollow knight is another on my queue. But again dont want to start another game until I finish Octopath!

#1293 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

When I see gamers complaining there aren’t enough new games or this game is too short, I’m like “WTF is wrong with people?!?!” There are over 1000 games on Switch & the big ones have such infinite replay value. If I only had BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, ARMS & Mario Kart, I could just play those games forever. But I have 60-something games on my Switch & am backlogged AF! AND - I just got a PS4 for Spider-Man so now there’s that. I haven’t turned on a pinball machine in weeks...lol. Maybe time to sell ‘em all and just be a video game guy again.

After a while, all games are devolved into their basest forms. You either shoot something, find something, or hit AAAAAAA over and over again It all becomes the same after a while.

You'll regret selling your machines

#1297 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You can say the same for pinball. Games like Splatoon 2 and ARMS can infinitely test your skills in online matches...unlike storybased games, a good online game can be fun forever (or until people stop playing).
I won't sell all my pins, but I do want to cull the herd a little. I don't need so many when I never turn them on.

Truth. Hit a metal ball around with flippers to hit targets or make it go into a gobble hole lol.

#1304 5 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Rouge like games may not be for you then. I personally love them. The possibility of everything coming together for a run keeps me going. Unlocking new blue prints and abilities is a drive for me too. I have several rouge like games on the switch already but this one is my favorite.
Binding of Isaac
Enter the Gungeon
Dead Cells
Into the Breach

Rogue Legacy and Risk of Rain are fantastic for the PS4.

#1309 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I initially hated them, partially because I hated the term (I had never heard of Rogue and now every f-king game on the eShop is roguelike or roguelite lol), and partially because I love great level design and though the idea of randomly generated levels was stupid. I’ve come around though, as I’ve found a few of these games massively addicting & they seem to have more replay incentive than “normal” games. I hated Isaac, tho lol. I love:
Flame in the Flood
Enter the Gungeon
Flint Hook
I’m sure I’ll try Dead Cells once my backlog is a bit less huge or when it goes on sale (that’s my weak point and why my backlog grows).

If you see Dead Cells for on sale, post it up! I check here every day, but I'm not on my Switch every day.

#1342 5 years ago

I'm going to have to get my subscription in the next few days. so it sounds like they will be adding to the classic library in the future and it will be ongoing?

#1344 5 years ago

I also read somewhere that it will be a "Netflix" styled gallery, leading me to believe that they will add in and rotate out classic games. If that's the case, then $20/yr is a complete no-brainer, just for that alone. I don't play online games, so I'd just be getting the subscription for the classic library. Would be awesome to be able to tap into the SNES , N64, and GC library!

2 weeks later
#1465 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I just don’t like seeing things censored to be family friendly. I want the original. The only way I can show my disapproval is to not give them my money, so that is what I will do.

Any classic machine that was even the slightest bit provacative will likely not be included in Zen's arcade due to censorship. Could you imagine what they would do to a game like Paragon? Fathom? Centuar? You likely wont see them at all, or they'd look a mess to try to "cover up" all that skin.

that-season-im-out-meme-1024x639 (resized).jpgthat-season-im-out-meme-1024x639 (resized).jpg
#1482 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Played a little Solomon's Key last night...a game that always intrigued me but I never got a chance to try until now. Love the concept and control, but damn is it hard! I couldn't make it past the third stage, LOL! One hit instadeath is brutal. Definitely a game that I wish had continues.
Also finished VVVVVV this past week. Tough as nails, but very satisfying. Had well over 1000 deaths, but enjoyed it start to finish with minimal rage, LOL. Tons of personality packed into the very simple graphics. Perfect feeling controls. Very clever.

Love Solomon's Key! I remember playing this game when in grade school. Very underrated and not ever mentioned when talking about NES greats.

1 week later
#1531 5 years ago

It's a third person rogue-like. You go through several areas repeatedly and though you eventually die, you end up getting stronger and getting more skills each time through, making it a little deeper after each play. It's a super fun franchise and definitely worth playing if you like that kind of genre. You will die, a lot, but that's almost the point.

There's a 2D side scrolling game called Salt & Sanctuary that is nearly the same.

The player-written-clue-mechanic is cool too. You can leave notes for other players to read to help them out. The catch is that there are only a limited number of preset words you can choose from, which means some messages read more like personalized license plates.

Man, I need to get back into Dark Souls!

#1536 5 years ago

demon souls / dark souls games are soo good.
they keep you on your toes at all times!
some of the best games of all time imo
2 wasnt that great, they made it too easy and too many save spots. 3 is a masterpiece. 1 is fantastic as well. Demon souls is prob my fav still.
game doesnt give you anything, you have to earn it all and figure it out as you go. can kind of use your imagination to make up a story as you go as well.
i think calling it a "rouge like" is a disservice cause a lot of people dont like those style games. this is so much more imo. Isnt part of rouge likes randomizing the levels?
The way these games map takes you really far away from the center node only to unlock short cuts and what not back is really great. The environments are just fantastic.
I just finished Octopath and about to jump into Dark Souls when I have gaming time open up.

I guess calling it a roguelike probably isn't the most accurate. In roguelikes, there is permanent death and randomly generated levels. Maybe a 3rd person Metroidvania is a bit more accurate. You keep the same character, but you can die (a lot) and start from checkpoints but gain upgrades as you go along. I enjoy both genres regardless

#1540 5 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I honestly didn't know Dark Souls was a rogue like. Might actually give it a shot. Love me some rogue like action.

Like I mentioned, it's less roguelike and more metroidvania. You play the same character, there are RPG elements, you build your character to access new areas, or just to get strong enough to defeat stronger enemies (to access new areas). If you don't cash in your souls ("currency" for upgrades) and you die, your stash of souls drops where you last died and you can choose to go retrieve it. If you die before you get your souls back, they disappear. Excellent risk/reward system. You die A LOT, so be prepared for that.

3 weeks later
#1582 5 years ago

picked up the mario party joy con bundle from best buy. its $100 but with gamerclub it was $80 and had a $20 gift card so figured for $60 bucks get a game and a set of joy cons should be a solid pick up.
hopefully get some people playing over the holidays

Considering joy cons alone are $70, I think you did alright

#1585 5 years ago

picked up the mario party joy con bundle from best buy. its $100 but with gamerclub it was $80 and had a $20 gift card so figured for $60 bucks get a game and a set of joy cons should be a solid pick up.
hopefully get some people playing over the holidays

I didnt get anywhere near a good deal like you did, actually ended paying full price, but I picked up the Mario Party/JoyCon bundle, and a Mario and Luigi steering wheel for some local 4P Mario Kart/Mario Party goodness for the weekend.

3 weeks later
#1742 5 years ago

Smash is awesome, took a break and playing salt and sanctuary which is pretty sweet.
It's like a 2d dark souls through and through

Love salt and sanctuary! The sucky thing is that I stopped playing it some time ago and it's hard to pick back up because I cant remember what I'm doing, so im having a hard time finishing it

4 weeks later
#1898 5 years ago

That would be aweseome! The NES collection is ok. There are only a handful of games that are worth playing right now, but having SNES classics will really make that collection a bit more robust.

1 month later
#1950 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Tetris 99 is FREE and on the eShop right now!!!! It's Tetris Battle Royale....Fortris? Total Fortnite killer! WOOO!

Played a few games last night. It took me a game or two to get my brain back into "Tetris mode" I place 36th in my first game, but then 6th on my second game! The game works great with the clicky buttons on the joycons in the grip. Very fun!

#1961 5 years ago

so a bit off topic but my buddy and I are streaming retro games on Mondays nights on twitch at 10PM Eastern. Playing on real hardware with real software streamed through my Sony PVM 20M2U with RGB SCART cables for a great looking retro stream.
twitch.tv/pure_retro_co
first session was Zombies Ate My Neighbors on SNES and I just got it uploaded on youtube now:
We might do some switch streaming as well tho; we did a practice run of Mario Party on switch on my personal twitch before we did our first real stream.
Here is a peak at my collection, more pics on our instagram at https://www.instagram.com/pure_retro_co/
[quoted image]

1 month later
#2009 5 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

I'm so pumped to finally play cuphead.
I love contra(I've beaten most of them) and animation. So this seems like a match in heaven.
This was the only xbox exclusive that I wanted

This is why I've never heard of it before. Looks freaking awesome.

1 week later
#2027 5 years ago

For any fans of Puzzle Quest back in the day, Gems of War is a similar RPG/Match 3 game that's free for download. Good stuff.

#2035 5 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

Mantis burn was a fun one. Reminded me of the old RC Pro Am on NES or ivan stewart off-road with better graphics.

sounds like my kinda game.

1 week later
#2050 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Who gets phsyical copies anymore? Turn on tv/console, pick game, play. No cartridge hassles, no container mismatches; easy peezy plug n play.

It's nice to be able to resell a physical copy once you're done playing it, if you're not the collector type that keeps every game you buy.

#2080 5 years ago

So there arent any power ups, different weapons, etc in Cuphead? Is there an ability tree or anything else?

#2085 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Just the power canon you build up while shooting. It is just straight pattern recognition, in true all or none fashion.
My game typically goes like this..... none, none, none, none, all, excitement builds, none, none, throw controller....

Hmmm. The one thing I love about side scroll shooters is the variety of weapons or power ups you can get ala Contra or Mega Man. If there's a demo, I may have to try it before I buy it. It does look beautiful though, but my kids will undoubtedly want to play it but then ultimately get frustrated.

#2090 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There are a lot of weapons and specials you can get by collecting coins in the Run ‘n Gun levels. Right now I have a boomerang type shot & a hiking shot. You can go into a level with 2 weapons to switch between. I also got a dash upgrade that lets you teleport...very handy...and 2 Super Arts attacks (saving up 5 supers lets you use a Super Art).
It’s an extremely frustrating game if you’re not used to super hard NES/retro games. You get one life/3 hits per stage. That’s it. You die, you start over.
I’m finding it tough, but not impossible. Just depends how patient of a gamer you are. Def not a kids game unless they like the challenge of hard retro games.

This sounds like a little more of the style that I'm into. I'll definitely check it out!

1 month later
#2170 4 years ago

I got 100% completion on Yoku. I looked up 2 things after completing the main story to get to completion, but overall, most things weren't too difficult to figure out.
I didn't realize this until late in the game: you can jump off the bee line at every stopping point.
Anyway, it was a pretty fun game.

I'm really trying to get into this game, but it seems like it's just a lot of errand running. Collect this, find that, go here then come back. Does it pick up? I don't know exactly how many hours I've played it, maybe 6? But it's not something that is pulling me in. Hollow Knight on the other hand...

#2171 4 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I just downloaded RE4 Friday. Having a great time with it! Lots of good memories.

I played the shit out of RE4 when it was on the Gamecube. I've been tempted over and over again for all the different systems. I might have to go with the Switch though for the portability aspect.

#2173 4 years ago

I only have the "Grip" (No pro controller). Wondering if that'll make a big difference.

#2177 4 years ago

pro controller will be the best switch purchase you make man! best controller ever!

"I buy pinball machines but I'm a cheap bastard." LOL

#2180 4 years ago

I only found out today that Youtube is on the Switch. Cool!

#2190 4 years ago

That's about regular price on Amazon, so not "on sale" per se.

1 week later
#2226 4 years ago

The physical copy of Bloodstained Ritual of the Night was released on the Switch today. I've been following this for a while now. Going to pick up a copy at my local Wally World!

#2231 4 years ago

get it at best buy and get the free steel book case
[quoted image]

They didnt have it at Walmart so I ordered on Amazon as I was walking out. It said In stock-ready for pickup online too.

#2236 4 years ago

yeah, its cross made for the disc games. when you open it up its a dvd steelbook with a plastic flap added in for the switch cartridge. nice thing about being bigger is more art tho i guess. no reason not to get it when its free tho haha

I've always thought that having the steel book adds value to the game, but in reality no one is going to pay more for it than a game without one

Saves me a trip out to Best Buy when I have Amazon Prime and it gets delivered tomorrow. I can pick it up from my mailbox in my underwear. Can't do that at Best Buy

Plus I'm cheap and it's $32 on Amazon right now.

2 months later
#2350 4 years ago

They've released 20 SNES games today. Cool! Wireless SNES controllers coming soon. I've only played SNES games on an emulator. I might need to get a set of controllers for a "real" experience.

#2366 4 years ago

Yeah I know. I had a Genesis at the time, so I've played a ton of Genesis games. After that, it was Playstation and so on until I could get a computer good enough to run emulation through my college years. That was the only feasible way for me to play any of the SNES games. For me, it did a plenty fine job and I got to experience all the goodness (and then some) that the SNES had to offer.

#2371 4 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

This game is really cool - hack and slash pinball!
https://www.creatureinthewell.com/

Looks really awesome! Someone called it a "Pinbrawler." gonna have to check it out!

3 weeks later
#2442 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Thanks, that looks right up my alley (being an a-hole).... I just pulled the trigger. For $15 its worth a shot.

Come back with your full review. Seems like a novelty game for me to get a few laughs, but beyond that...maybe a bit too shallow?

#2470 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Your 5 year old is clearly more coordinated than mine.

Your 5 year olds are clearly more coordinated than me. I get smoked in this game.

#2472 4 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I have Ori on the PC and it is one of the best metroidvania type games I have ever played. Beautiful too. I would say it is closer to a mix between Hollow Knight and Celeste.

Definitely a beautiful game. Looks like it's more platform heavy vs combat heavy. I like some upgrade/weapons/magic combat type metroidvanias. Does it lean more on platforming?

1 month later
#2582 4 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

I'm confused about the purpose of this game....

I especially love the part where the side of the cabinet folds down and he throws a welder underneath all willy-nilly without even looking. 3 completely wrong things in a span of 2 seconds. Can't wait to watch a review.

How much time (read: zero) did these devs even spend on an actual machine? It's clear they spent none. Laughable.

#2593 4 years ago

What grips are people using for portable mode? The angle of the buttons annoy me, and I play in that mode more often. I think it's time to grab something, but there are a ton of options..

This is what I'm using. I can't play without a grip. My thumbs start falling asleep after about 10 minutes. This is a must-have (or at least something like this).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FNJJG5V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

2 weeks later
#2634 4 years ago

If you want to hear a good interview with the guys that founded Limited Run Games, Retronauts just did a podcast and they talk about some interesting topics that cover why they started the company to manufacturing issues etc.

1 week later
#2691 4 years ago

Looks like a fancy pong?

#2696 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Mario Odyssey is one of the best games ever made.

I've owned my copy for about a year now. I haven't given it earnest gameplay, but it's also a game that I don't find myself wanting to load up either. I can't be the only one, right. What am I missing out on?

#2706 4 years ago

I had a good bunch of physical games. I put all the cartridges in a single case to make carrying them around easier. Now I can't find that case. Total bummer, and I really hope it turns up so I don't have to replace them. For now I guess I'll just play the digitals until I get a real chance to tear the house apart, but shit.

I've got a few games I can lend you in the meantime if you want. Just don't lose them

#2710 4 years ago

Thanks! I appreciate the offer, but I've got a pretty good collection of digital stuff to keep me busy anyway, just going to bother me to no end until I find them is all.

It would bother me too lol. But the offer stands regardless if you find your case or not

1 week later
#2725 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

anyone try Safari Pinball? At $1.50 I figured someone would of
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/safari-pinball-switch/
Mario Odyssey is great! Finding all the secrets is challenging and fun. 100%'ing the levels is challenge, the main game is just medium to hard. Being a cappy expert like Rare said is the hard part but ultra awesome when you can zoom through things fast.

I will have to play it some day. Problem is, I just bought a few other games, and already have some games that I've bought but haven't played yet! I'm at various stages of completion of about a half dozen games now and it doesn't seem like it'll let up any time soon. Such awful problems to have...

#2728 4 years ago

I tried to do that as well, for a time. Then I found myself buying 5 yr old games (just bought Dragon Age: Inquisiton GOTY for PS4 for $10 lol) so that I could play all the good ones that I missed. It's definitely the cheaper way to go! But buying everything new, it's impossible to keep up! Especially with kids! And pinball!

#2740 4 years ago

You have good taste!

Screenshot_20191219-182518_Email (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191219-182518_Email (resized).jpg
#2770 4 years ago

We bought the Labo vehicle kit for my son (read: for me as well) and I've been working on it for a few hours now. Holy crap! I never expected this to take so long! And I feel like I have a ton more to do! Still not really done with the steering wheel yet.

20191225_162930 (resized).jpg20191225_162930 (resized).jpg
#2778 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not too much into the older content from the NES Super NES.
I like the user made levels on Mario Maker tho.
I may get Link to the past for my next title.

You're missing out if you haven't played some of the NES/SNES games.

1 month later
#2919 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

My discovery of the day : Golf Story. It’s a fun golf game blended with some rpg elements that reminded me of Mario Golf but with a more adult approach to the storyline.
The golf parts are well put with a lot of technique ingredients and still relying on the good old time press for power and precision.

Will have to check this out. I always liked a good (not too serious) golf game. Anyone remember Hot Shots Golf? One of my favorites.

#2922 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

This is not Hot Shots Golf, much more RPG than arcade golf. Still, it is a really good game. I don't like RPGs and I enjoyed this. Physical copies are still available at Best Buy.

Yeah, after looking at some videos of it, it is definitely more RPG than golf. Which is good because I like RPGs more anyways so win-win for me!

1 month later
#2949 4 years ago

I also lost interest in BOTW some time ago...but I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn and am very much into it...which reminded me that BOTW has a similar structure, so I'm going to have to get back into it and hopefully not take too long to pick up where I left off.

#2965 4 years ago

Jackbox games is "giving away" Drawful 2 on the Switch for $.09. They are actually giving it away on Steam. Very cool of them!

https://jackboxgames.com/were-giving-away-drawful-2-for-free-for-three-weeks/

#2986 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Anyone have any recommendations on a game that is similar to BOTW in terms of open world and puzzle dungeons? I'm trying to find something to hold me over until BOTW2. For reference, I'm not a fan of the anime style games. Is Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim close?

I had mentioned Horizon Zero Dawn in a previous post that made me want to pick up BOTW again. Very similar in terms of open world roam and do as you please, while still having main and side quests that do a much better job than BOTW does.

#2998 4 years ago

Is the normal price $400+ on these? There are several on ebay right now at that price.

#3000 4 years ago
Quoted from sjf2112:

i know. i just added it again, it let me get to the payment screen then told me sorry, sold out.
Normal price is $299

Just checked my local FB marketplace and some people are selling their used ones for $200-250 and there are some selling them new for $450. Might be a way to go, just wipe it down clean when you get it.

#3041 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Sharing this so that others can learn from my experience. I’ve tried a wide assortment of controllers in an effort to not spend so much on a pro controller. Everything from knock-offs to amazon high-rated. Just buy a pro controller. Nothing else feels as good and you’ll end up spending more due to a lack of satisfaction.

Thanks for this post because I am one of those people, which is weird because I never buy 3rd party stuff. Good to know that I should just spend to money on a licensed controller.

#3044 4 years ago

What are you guys using for Smash Bros controllers? I'm the only one in my family of 4 to actually play games on the switch. My wife, 4, and 6 yr old only play casually. Not wanting to buy "good" controllers for them. Wireless preferable, but with rechargeable batteries, not the ones that use AA.

Right now I have 2 pairs (4) joycons. One of them has stick drift, which has already been replaced once...smh...

#3046 4 years ago

To keeps costs a little bit down, since I already have 2 sets of Joycons, and 2 PS4 controllers, I'm getting 2 adapters to connect my PS4 controllers, and another drip for the 2nd set of joycons.

That'll give me 2 sets of joycons and 2 PS4 controllers for just around $50. I'm getting the Mayflash adapters since the 8-bitdo adapters aren't shipping for at least a month.

#3049 4 years ago

I'll be getting everything next week some time. Can't wait as my kids have been stuck home and going crazy! lol i'm sure yours are too. My son has never played more pinball or video games in his life lol

#3084 4 years ago

We just bought Box Align and Watermelon Party for wife/kids. They still might be on sale.

Quoted from Gamer85:

So my wife isnt into games much but has always liked simple puzzle games like Tetris. The problem I see is a lot of these games are head to head with other players or the computer. She doesnt like that. She likes original Tetris and similar. Been looking for something like that to get her.
Anyone have any suggestions? I saw Lumines but wasnt sure if any others..

#3091 4 years ago
Quoted from Gamer85:

Showed my wife a video of Box Align and she got excited! haha. Its $0.19 on the eshop. Perfect! Thanks for the suggestion.

It's a pretty neat game. Simple to understand, but very chill and puzzle-like. I've only started working through a couple of the simple levels, but wanted to save the rest for my wife when it started to require a bit more thinking. And at $.20, you can't go wrong. Watermelon party was like 3 cents or something. Haven't played with the fam yet, but looks like it's right up our alley with a 4 and 6 yr old.

#3102 4 years ago

I just downloaded Invisigun Reloaded for $.99. Seems like a fun local/online multiplayer with lots of characters and pixelart graphics. It's basically a 4 player shooter where each of the characters as a unique ability, and all of you are invisible except for when you shoot your gun, walk into an obstacle or through water, bushes, snow, etc. Haven't had a chance to really dig in yet, but looks fun.

#3117 4 years ago

Just started to dig into Smash last night. Going through the Spirit Adventure to unlock characters. I gotta say though, playing with the analog stick is not my preference, but slowly getting used to it. I had no idea the roster would be so scant from the beginning, and oddly enough, I'm preferring the Mii Swordsman right now.

#3123 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My custom Mii Swordsman is my main!!! I wanted to get good with a fan fav like Pac-Man...but for some reason I really gelled with Mii Sword lol.
I never really understood Smash all these years, but the Spirit Adventure was really fun to me & helped me learn the game. I 100%’d it! [quoted image]

yeah, I've barely scratched the surface as far as playable characters go. I think I only have around 15-18 right now? Was expecting there to be a bit more of the roster from the get-go that I can play with my wife and kids, but playing with only 12 characters from the beginning is a little sparse.

i really like the moveset for the Mii Sword so far. His Up Special and Forward Special have saved my ass a few times lol

#3125 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You can unlock them by playing any of the various modes. You don’t have to do it all in Spirit. I’ve got everyone unlocked...including DLC. It’s like 80 characters or so, and more are coming.

I need to get the DLC pass as well. It seems like it's random when "a new figher appears," as I've gotten a couple of them while exiting Spirit to the main menu. Also still not sure what the hammer and breaking the "glass" does. Seems like it's more stuff to unlock, but it's not obvious to me what they are? It also was hard for me to get used to the button configs on the joycons. Not used to the South and East buttons as my attack and the West and North buttons as jump. I might need to get GCN controllers afterall lol.

#3127 4 years ago

Is there a matrix or something to show what modes may unlock what characters? I haven't played in a while, but I remember there being some really specific things for unlocks in Melee.

This is what I found on IGN. Looks like chugging through Classic Mode is they way to go, or do the "cheat" method that some other sites have described.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/super-smash-bros-ultimate/How_to_Unlock_All_Characters_in_Smash_Bros._Ultimate

#3131 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You can remap your buttons & save it to your profile so it’s the same every time you play. Because Smash kinda plays like a platformer, I started playing much better when I changed Jump to B, attack to Y and special to X. To my brain, the stock controls are backwards.

I'll have to take a look at that remapping. I agree. My brain is wired for the West button to be attack and the South button to be jump for most games. Problem is, is that right now I've put in maybe 4-6 hours playing so i'm finally starting to get used to the layout even though during "panic" moments, my brain is configured correctly enough to hit jump or do a special when I need to lol

#3132 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Animal Crossing is just good wholesome fun. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I've never had any interest in AC. What's your elevator pitch for this game?

#3136 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I never did either. It’s a game where you just do normal real life stuff & decorate your town & house. Pick weeds. Plant flowers. Talk to neighbors. Sounded like a waste of time...now that we can’t do normal real life stuff, it’s kind of the perfect game of the moment. Plus, my wife loves it.
It’s crazy though, almost everyone I know is playing it. So, it’s just fun to have people visit your island or visit theirs, run around and be stupid & get items and clothes.
It’s just relaxing and cute.

Might be something that my wife and kids might like. My daughter would like it for sure. I play games to escape real-life things

#3165 4 years ago

I just got a Mayflash Magic-ns and the ps4 controller seems to work quite well in Switch pro mode. It's a nice option if you've already got ps4 controllers. My wife likes using it on AC multiplayer vs a single horizontal joycon.

I have the same with old PS3 controllers and they work very well. We've been using 2 PS3 controllers and 2 sets of joycons on grips and it works well enough for Smash. You'll need one per controller though, and can only fit 2 on the dock.

#3168 4 years ago

Does it allow piggybacking the adapters for 2 of them in the dock?
Edit: I didn't notice the dock has 2 external USB ports on the left. I have my adapter in the one internal port, so I guess 3 could be plugged up with no hubs, assuming piggybacking from one adapter into another doesn't work.
PS4 controllers allow gyro movement. Not sure if motion sensing is in even in the PS3 controllers, or supported by the adapter. Also not sure how important it is. I have been using joycons exclusively up to this point and am used to shaking the controller, like in NSMB to do a jump spin or AC to switch main player. I'm still able to do the few things I'm used to with the PS4 controller, so that's a plus in my book.
If anyone gets one of these adapters for PS4 controller use with gyro support, the adapter has to be in purple Switch Pro mode and Pro controller has to be enabled in the settings menu on the Switch. I wasn't aware of that setting initially, so the purple mode wasn't working at all until I changed that.

You can only fit one on the external USB ports as the ports are spaced too close together/the adapters are too bulky. If you used USB Male to Female extension cords, then you should be able to fit 2 standard sized plugs into the external ports and fit the adapters onto those. I do not believe the PS3 controllers offer motion sensing. If I were playing a game that used it (like Odyssey) I would use the Joycons. For games like BOTW, I prefer non-motion sensing, as I would rather aim with the analog stick, vs using both. I've not tried piggy backing, but I don't think you could.

1 week later
#3193 3 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

I was looking for a new game after finishing BOTW. I didn't know that Hollow Knight was on the Switch. $15. I decided to give it a try.I always heard it was awesome. I just never got around to trying it. I've played tons of metroidvania games, but this one really stands out. Great game

Hollow Knight is a BLAST! The combat is fun and frenetic, the visuals and score are top notch. I still haven't finished my run yet, and at this point, it'll be a while before I get back to it, but it's sooooo good!

1 week later
#3225 3 years ago

Anyone who likes Overcooked should check out Moving Out. It's a co-op game where you're a moving crew who goes to different buildings and loads up a truck. Some items require 2 people to move. There's a demo. My family is enjoying it.

There's another game that might be similar called Good Job! Basically, you're an office employee that has to perform "mundane" tasks like moving furniture, but trying to find the most creative way to do it in the quickest time, regardless of how much damage you cause. It's on my wishlist right now, but I'd like to get it down the road sometime.

1 week later
#3236 3 years ago
Quoted from TheGiggler:

Paper Mario: The Origami King announced for Switch with a July 17th release. I’ve enjoyed other PM titles; this one is definitely on my buy list.

I played PM: The 1000 yr door on GC and loved it. This looks like more action/platformer and less RPG though?

#3238 3 years ago

the last two the battle system was garbage and i feel they purposefully only showed like 1.5 sec of the battle system in the trailer... they also dont reveal this game until really close to its release date. i just have a bad feeling about it, hopefully im wrong

I didn't own a Wii or WiiU. Was there anything else between the GC and the Switch? I don't know much about any PM games since then. I really loved the aesthetic and the turned based "timing" action of the 1000 Yr Door. I usually wait for reviews to pop up before buying most games anyway.

1 week later
#3252 3 years ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

Should I get Nintendo branded Joy Cons or do you recommend an aftermarket set?

I didn't even realize there were 3rd party joycons available. I see there is one that has GC like buttons. Very interesting!

https://smile.amazon.com/Wireless-Nintendo-SADES-Controller-Compatible/dp/B07Y4NZQNQ/ref=sr_1_15

#3255 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I’ve had 8 Joy Cons for 3 years (I like all the colors lol) & none have drift problems.
I did however have an issue where the “nub” on a few Joy Cons that locks onto the Switch wore down & they would slide off easily. I got a cheap repair kit online with metal replacement nubs, and now they lock in great.

You're lucky! My OG set that I've had for only about 1.5 years started seeing drift a while ago. I replaced it, which isn't a big deal at all. Remember to recalibrate it afterwards!

#3256 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Anyone know of a source that sells the OEM Joyce's for normal prices? I've been wanting to pickup a second set but prices seem outrageous right now.

https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-switch-joy-con-l-r/-/A-80130508?preselect=77333077#lnk=sametab

1 left on the east side! Get it quick!

#3259 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Send me a pair ! I have 6 joy cons all of them had drift issues.
At some points I thought it was because the kids were mistreating them so I kept a pair of myself, but no luck either.
But at 5$ a replacement stick and 10 minutes of work I start seeing the job like pinball maintenance.

Did you recalibrate the controllers after replacing them?

2 weeks later
#3293 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Over 1200 games on sale on the eShop right now! Summer sale! Lots of great stuff cheapie cheap!!!!

So many games on my wishlist that I want to buy, but realistically, probably won't play...So sad

1 month later
#3354 3 years ago

Anyone here play Deadly Premonition? I've been hearing about how it's a good game and a lot of thought went into it, but that it is plagued by bugs and bad mechanics, but still worth the play for the story.

2 months later
#3536 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Thanks for the Hades recommend. I'm on travel for work and I downloaded it before I left. It's been a great way to pass the time. Just beat Meg for the first time after getting owned by her like 10 times. Fun game for sure.
So is Dead Cells similar?

Just learning about this game here. I played the hell out of Dead Cells and now it looks like I would play the hell out of Hades too. Will be putting this in my wishlist for sure. Looks amazing.

Been spending a ton of time on my PS4 recently, catching up on titles that I've missed out on. My kids have been playing AC most of the time when they're not schooling or working...so yeah, need to "re-take" the Switch back

5 months later
#3726 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Reminder this is out now
[quoted image]

One of the best rogue-likes out there if you haven't played it yet and are into rogue-likes.

3 weeks later
#3735 3 years ago

My 7 and 5 yr old just finished the main game in Mario Odyssey. Any suggestions for other games in a similar vein where they can play couch co-op together?

#3738 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

3d mario world and bowsers fury
toad treasure tracker
yoshi's crafted world
kirby star allies
luigis mansion 3
New super mario brothers

I was thinking along these lines. Kinda leaning towards LM3 right now. They don't have precision platforming skills (yet) and not really looking for anything that requires too much puzzle solving. Have you played any/all of these? what are your thoughts? It should be something my wife and I could play too, but i'm not opposed to getting something just for the kids.

#3740 3 years ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

LM3 does require some puzzle solving. Not crazy but some had me go "what do I do now?". I would def go for Super Mario 3d World that way the whole family can play. It's a great game and wont require too much platforming skills earlier on. Even on the later stages the kids can use special power up suits that allow them to not lose a life and what not. I had it for the Wii U and bought it again for the Switch because of how good it is. My daughter was around 5 when her and I beat the main game.

With them just finishing Odyssey, I was thinking of changing it up from Mario...but I'd have to ask them if they want more Mario or not. My little guy has asked me for LM3 when he saw ads for it, but then again, he asks for any game that interests him

Some light puzzle solving is fine. Find a thing to insert into the proper shaped hole, move this statue over here to open a door, that kind of stuff they can figure out.

#3745 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

In regards to LM3, be aware that coop isn't immediately available. You have to play some of the game single player to unlock it.

I've read that it's early on? My daughter would probably get to that point then let her little brother play

Quoted from northvibe:

I personally own all of those and have played them all. However my oldest is 3yr old.....sooooo she can't really play them that well. usually she can get the first level or two, then it becomes too hard.
If they can play odyssey, and are into mario, the 3d mario world w/ bowsers fury has 1-4 player, is "easy" for a mario, but hard to 100%, and bowsers fury is coop (more like mario odyssey) and is a great mario sunshine mixed with 3d world. I'd probably recommend that game first. You get 2 games in one, I have this on wiiu and bought it again and am very much enjoying it on switch again, and my daughter loves to watch and try to play.
I also think yoshi's crafted world has more of a basic platformer that can be hard ish but you can enable an always able to fly button. Which is helpful for the younger kids. Demo is available.
Kirby star allies is nice as it takes LOTS of hits to kirby to "kill" him. Demo is available.
Toad treasure tracker is a slow paced puzzle game. I enjoy, not sure kids unless they are into puzzles
LM3 - sooo there are a few spots in this game that SUCK even for an adult to figure out. I had to use a guide on those to know what I was supposed to do or go, however the basic play is not toooo bad. Big puzzles are the boss fights. I don't know if I would put this at the top of the list unless they didn't like the above game/demos.
the new super mario bros is hard, it's a good update to the original mario games but is 1-4 player.
For sure get the demos and have them try those, otherwise I hands down, suggest the 3d mario game. Watch some gameplay and see if your kids would dig it.

Thanks for the write-up! They've played the Demo for Kirby, but not for Yoshi. I'll have to DL it to see if they like it. They really like Kirby, but that was before they had any real coordination with running and jumping. I'll re-DL it and let them have a go at it.

2 weeks later
#3754 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Just picked up super mario party brand new for $30. Pretty pleased even though I heard its not the best. I have NO other MPs though. They are all so expensive!

MP is pretty fun. It uses the motion aspect of the joycon pretty well. The only other MP I've played was for NGC, with college friends. We had a helluva fun time! I think this one is geared more towards younger players, as the controls and rules are pretty simple. I'm sure getting a few buddies over with drinks would still be stupid fun though lol.

#3758 2 years ago

Take a look at Stardew Valley, too. That's $15, and my daughter and I are able to play on the same copy with the PC version (assuming you have a couple of PCs that can handle a pretty low-demand game). I think up to 4 can play in co-op.
I was going to get AC for a bit of escapism, but decided to dig into my owned games before dropping 60 on something new. I'm glad I did, we're hooked, and I much prefer the sprite 16-bit era art style.

Necro-quote from a year ago lol! My wife and daughter were playing Animal Crossing (much like a ton of people last year I'm sure) and in trying to get them to play something else, I looked at and saw Stardew Valley. After seeing my wife and daughter play it for a short time, I half jokingly said that I should start a game....well...65 hrs later, I'm still plugging away at my farm! Never realized how addicting this game was! It's starting to fade now, as it is getting a little samey, but man it's as much time as I've put into other AAA titles in the last year! I say bravo to the one-man-developer for making something so simple yet so addicting!

my problem with mario party games is the cheapness of the board area that takes away the skill of the mini games. never really could get into them

MP and Mario Kart are the same in that in the end game, they try to level the playing field for those that are behind. Completely makes sense and perfect for gamers and non-gamers alike. This is why Nintendo is the king/queen of family gaming.

I joke with my family that I don't play with them because I win every time...but I'm kind of not joking either, since I don't want them to get frustrated with me winning all of the time. With that said, it's always fun to dominate in the mini-games

#3760 2 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Blue Shells are the worst, but I still wouldn't put Mario Kart in this convo. The better player will generally come out on top. Mario Party, not so much. Not a fan of MP. The mini games are fun, but the board game part and the enormous luck factor ruin them for me.

When I play MP, it's with my kids, and being 7 and 5, they could use the boost at the end of the game. Not a big deal, as it makes it more enjoyable for them, as much as for me. Now, if I were playing with someone in the same skill level, then it's annoying as hell!

#3763 2 years ago

A simple thing they could do for Mario Kart is to just add an option to turn off those items. Then you can play with similar skilled players and it wouldn't be a problem.

#3774 2 years ago

Anyone play Risk of Rain 2? It's on sale in the eShop right now. I've played the first game, which was an 8-bit 2D side scrolling rougelike, but has been changed to a 3rd person shooter in the sequel. I really enjoyed the first game, the music was great, and I'll occasionally jump back into it.

1 month later
#3793 2 years ago

Looking forward to Metroid Dread also. I'm glad that they are returning to the 2D sidescrolling format. I haven't played a real Metroid since Prime so many years ago. Fun game, but I needs my 2D sidescrolling!

I don't know what the specs are for the Switch Pro, but I really do hope they make the jump to 4K resolution. I love my Switch, but playing docked on a 4K screen is a bit of a letdown at times. Hope they can make that next-gen jump!

#3795 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

that is the rumor.... hoping so!

Hope so! I'm not sure if they can up-res the existing library (assuming that the games are backwards compatible) but that would be a launch day buy for me. We spend enough time playing the Switch that it would be worth it!

#3801 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

There has long been talk of them using a video card with AI Upscaling, I think nvidia was the front runner. It's a way they can pretend to be on par with new generation consoles but not take on any of the cost. It's classic Nintendo I would not expect much more than that out of Switch Pro.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/sliders/ai-upscaling/
P.S. Keep in mind that lizard is real. The horsepower you need to do the reflections in it's eye don't exist on a switch so you can't upscale what isn't there. It's probably a good move for Nintendo as I don't think their demographic really cares.

Oh wow. That's pretty cool. I could notice a subtle difference between the 2. If they couldn't upres the currently library, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker. Kind of what the PS4 Pro did with the standard PS4s, even though I didn't upgrade my standard PS4 when the Pro came out, but then again, I didn't have a 4k TV that could have fully taken advantage of the Pro's capabilities either. But now that I do...

Quoted from Rarehero:

Did you play Zero Mission & Fusion on GBA? Fantastic 2D Metroids. Samus Returns on 3DS is very good & Dread is by the same developer & looks to have similar mechanics like parrying.

Sadly no. I've got RetroPi that I could emulate it on though...so if anything I'd go that route. Super Metroid is definitely considered one of the all-time greats and would be thrilled to have a similar experience again. I would probably get a remastered version of it.

#3802 2 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

And I'm just over here waiting for Hollow Knight: Silksong

LOVE Hollow Knight! My only gripe with Metroidvania games though is that I tend to put them down, then forget what I have to do next after picking them up again some months (even years) later.

They need to put in some "previously on..." feature in games that will give you a quick reminder of what has happened, a quick tutorial, and what you need to do next to get going again. I've done this on so many games....

#3809 2 years ago

I don't notice any real lag either. I played a ton of Hades and Dead Cells that require some twitchy reflexes and haven't noticed anything.

#3810 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Check em out on your RetroPi! If you loved Super, you’ll totally love Zero Mission & Fusion.

Great...2 more Metroidvania games (except actually Metroid this time!) for me to start, put down, then never pick up again lol. I will certainly check them out though.

#3812 2 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

I think the thing that got me the most excited was the 3 Cave shooters coming. Mushihimesama is up on the eshop now.
This was in the Japanese direct, but game is out here.

Haven't heard of this, but it looks like a bullet-hell SCHMUP from a quick google search. What makes this game different/special/fun from others?

#3819 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

It's hard to describe what makes Cave shooters so unique that's why the original arcade PCBs sells for fortunes.
First, they are hard, extremely hard even but somewhat playable with a Souls like spirit that just gets you to keep going at them with immense satisfaction once you pass a stage.
Soundtrack and graphics are always beyond beautiful apparently misplaced but blend perfectly
And then they always find a unique gameplay trick in how it shoots to add some strategic layer in a score versus risk approach.
Overall I will say Cave makes the best shoot'em up on earth and playing one will likely get you to want to play them all.

As much as I like schmups, they all tend to play the same after a while (which was why I asked). Aside from different visuals and different skins, they all tend to be pretty similar imo. For a quick arcade experience, they're great. I wonder if there is something that is deeper, with RPG elements. Gaining XP, which increases stats when you level up, having currency to buy different permanent upgrades. the linear aspect of schmups would be limiting, but that could be a cool and unique mechanic to breath some life into the genre.

One horizontal schmup that I really like is Progear by Capcom. Just a quick google search shows that CAVE was involved too Didn't know that.

Going back to Nintendo, I really enjoy UN Squadron on the SNES. I guess that style of gameplay matching up with a longer formatted shooter vs 1 shot kills.

#3821 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

All the Cave shooters are on Mame, if you want to try them, Deathsmiles is the one I would encourage you to start with. On the Switch if you liked UN Squadron, I would recommed Darius Cozmic collection, different setting but same kind of gameplay.

Thanks for the recs! I'll check them out. I probably have them all loaded up already, just don't know it

2 weeks later
#3858 2 years ago

Switch OLED just dropped.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/oled-model/

No mention of what the output in docked mode is, only advertised the new OLED screen, improved speakers, and 64 GB of internal storage.

1 month later
#3905 2 years ago

Metal Slug Tactics!

I've always enjoyed the Metal Slug franchise. Great aesthetic and super fun arcade run n' gun style game play. I've always been a huge fan of tactical RPGs. FF Tactics, Disgaea, Shining Force, have been my favorites over the years. And now I get a mash-up of Metal Slug and a tactical RPG!

#3907 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I love the Metal Slug games probably the most played on my MAME cabinet. That being said run and gun and turn bases tactics are like polar opposites. The art style is amazing but just give me a new Metal Slug game. There are plenty of great Tactic games leave the great slide scrolling shooters as arcade style shooters. I'll probably play this but I would be way more excited for just a new Metal Slug.

For sure. I'm thinking along the lines of Advance Wars with the Metal Slug mashup. Valkyrie Profile was a really good "war" tactical RPG. Great hand-drawn aesthetic with that game too.

#3914 2 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

For whatever reason, the Metal Slug discussion made me think of a game I haven't thought of in decades: Desert Strike (and the rest of the series), which I loved playing on Sega Genesis. I've been out of the loop on video games for decades (though just got a Switch last winter)...has there been anything like Desert Strike since then?
Unrelatedly, I've been really enjoying the Switch and have avoided turning into an addict. Been through a few phases: Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Tetris99, Rayman Legends, and Ori and the Blind Forest. I've loved them all!

It's a much cheaper addiction than pinball! I don't have any specific recommendations for games similar to Desert Strike, but it sounds like you've hit some of the best games the Switch has to offer, but barely scratched the surface

1 week later
#3928 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

[quoted image]

I've never played Warioware. My kids love Mario Party with all the mini-games. I bet they would enjoy Warioware as they are at that age where picking nose hairs on a giant cartoon head would be funny (let's be honest, I would find it funny too)

Gonna have to try this demo out.

#3936 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Im not sure why people want only an upgraded screen and not 4k output, buuuut whatevs.

I'm sure for some, they primarily use it for its portability. I know I didn't get a 4K TV until early this year, so there's that. Plus people might just be getting into the Switch. Maybe as a birthday or Xmas gift.

On the manufacturing side, maybe Nintendo can get a source of OLED panels for cheaper or at a more consistent rate. I think there are a lot of factors into this decision. They've done similar with Nintendo DS, with small incremental changes that may or may not be what consumers wanted.

I've accepted that they are going to hit the next generation with 4K output, so we'll just have to be a bit more patient

#3938 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

If you have any kind of deadline as far as B-Day or Xmas just grab a regular switch. The difference is negligible we are talking 3/4 inch. If you stand a 65" 4K OLED next to a 65" 1080p LCD the difference is going to massive. Three quarters of an inch and the identical resolution the smaller screen is actually going to look crisper as its more pixel dense. The OLED screen will just have bigger pixels and marginally better blacks. Realistically though playing on the go in various lighting conditions you are getting nothing out of that OLED. OLED in a home environment with proper lighting and calibration can be a thing of beauty. At 7 inches on the bus or train with the sun shining in a window it makes no difference. To a kid playing in there room a switch is a switch. This variation is just for the hardcore and collectors.

I was under the impression that the OLED Switch was replacing the current model Switch, not being sold side by side? if side by side, I'm not sure what the cost difference would be, but I doubt it would be worth it. I haven't been paying much attention to it since it doesn't have 4K output. I was just speculating the reasons why someone would want an OLED switch to begin with, with the assumption that it was the only model that was going to be available.

#3940 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

No its just another model in the lineup $50 more for the OLED model. There are more than 10 models/colors listed on the official Nintendo site ranging from $199-$350.

Gotcha. Then I suppose if you're one of those "gotta have the best" kind of person, then yeah, the $50 upgrade might be an easy choice.

#3943 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm totally happy with my Switch, so I really don't need the OLED one....buuuut, I ordered it, cuz I like the idea of the bigger screen & the white Joy-Cons look cool....buuuut, I really don't need it, and I'm sure the "Pro" version will come out next year so I should just wait. I just bought the Zelda Joy-Cons, so I'm already swimming in waaaay too many Joy-Cons. Oh well, I'll decide what to do with it when it shows up lol

They gotcha! lol

2 weeks later
#3956 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

New Trailer, have to admit had me very nervous. The opening cinematic looks complete shit, textures, lighting, shadows and reflections are all really bad. Then it does a complete one eighty and everything from the gameplay camera looks fantastic. Can not wait to play it but those are some low budget cinematics.

It looked fine to my pedestrian eyes. I'm hyped to play this game!

#3975 2 years ago

That's what pinball has done to me... What? A new console and a few games its going to cost me a few hundred dollars? What a deal!
$60 is an impulse buy for me now...

Even with pinball, I'm still a cheap-ass and will wait for games to go on sale or buy it used. $40 or less for a 2 month old game is where i'm at lol.

New PS5 games are $70 now, and honestly for what you're getting in some of these games, it's probably worth it. People buy new, play it, then sell it for 60% or more off the original price. I don't have any problems waiting a couple months, especially since more often then not, I'm already working through a game or four at any given time lol.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey?tu=FatPanda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.