3E4B40AB-0F78-4403-97CC-6E3671908ECF (resized).jpeg
D20C2714-F4BE-4BE6-932D-11A5B72F7355 (resized).jpeg
F0F88B07-E6FE-4F19-9C64-7FD884066AE2 (resized).jpeg
oled switch kickstand (resized).jpg
67316182-D9D5-4ED8-8C7A-3DEF2DC10BCA (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
raiden (resized).png
20210701_205348 (resized).jpg

There are 4060 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 82.
#3951 63 days ago
Quoted from j_m_:

[quoted image]
reminds me of the microsoft surface's kickstand

Not bad considering how bad the original one is.

#3952 63 days ago

monster hunters 2 any good?

2 weeks later
#3953 48 days ago

1 week for cruisin blast!!!

1 month for dread

F0F88B07-E6FE-4F19-9C64-7FD884066AE2 (resized).jpeg
#3954 48 days ago

New Trailer, have to admit had me very nervous. The opening cinematic looks complete shit, textures, lighting, shadows and reflections are all really bad. Then it does a complete one eighty and everything from the gameplay camera looks fantastic. Can not wait to play it but those are some low budget cinematics.

#3955 48 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

New Trailer, have to admit had me very nervous. The opening cinematic looks complete shit, textures, lighting, shadows and reflections are all really bad. Then it does a complete one eighty and everything from the gameplay camera looks fantastic. Can not wait to play it but those are some low budget cinematics.

Maybe they’ll offer you a paid DLC texture & lighting pack.

There’s got to be a reason cinematics look different than the game. Farmed out to different studio? Maybe the game started as a 3DS game?

#3956 48 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It looked fine to my pedestrian eyes. I'm hyped to play this game!

#3957 48 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There’s got to be a reason cinematics look different than the game. Farmed out to different studio? Maybe the game started as a 3DS game?

It being a 3DS game seems likely, I actually laughed out loud at those dead flat surprised anime eyes at the end. That was clearly meant for much lower resolution on a smaller screen.

#3958 48 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It being a 3DS game seems likely, I actually laughed out loud at those dead flat surprised anime eyes at the end. That was clearly meant for much lower resolution on a smaller screen.

I have to keep watching it again to notice these things you’re noticing. You see technical things, I see stylistic/artistic choices. On that note, I’ve felt this game looks slightly “off” due to its artistic choices & color. I’m sure it’ll be fun and all - but it’s kind of hitting me like Megaman 11…just seems kind of indie/lower budget. Maybe it’s tech, maybe it’s art, maybe both.

#3959 48 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I have to keep watching it again to notice these things you’re noticing. You see technical things, I see stylistic/artistic choices. On that note, I’ve felt this game looks slightly “off” due to its artistic choices & color. I’m sure it’ll be fun and all - but it’s kind of hitting me like Megaman 11…just seems kind of indie/lower budget. Maybe it’s tech, maybe it’s art, maybe both.

It will still be an amazing experience to play. Those cinematics are budget for sure and the contrast is jarring. It makes me want to pop in Metroid Prime, I wonder if it will look 20 years older than this?

P.S. I looked up some footage of Prime damn it still looks so good. I am going to replay it.

#3960 48 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It will still be an amazing experience to play. Those cinematics are budget for sure and the contrast is jarring. It makes me want to pop in Metroid Prime, I wonder if it will look 20 years older than this?
P.S. I looked up some footage of Prime damn it still looks so good. I am going to replay it.

I want to replay Prime, but I'm holding off for an HD Trilogy on Switch. I finished it back on the GC, it was awesome. I never finished Prime 2...I got lost and confused well into the game and never came back to it. For some reason, every time I start Prime 3, I only get about an hour into it....I've restarted it like 3 times lol.

#3961 48 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I want to replay Prime, but I'm holding off for an HD Trilogy on Switch. I finished it back on the GC, it was awesome. I never finished Prime 2...I got lost and confused well into the game and never came back to it. For some reason, every time I start Prime 3, I only get about an hour into it....I've restarted it like 3 times lol.

Yeah I had the same experience. The original on Gamecube was a masterpiece. Even if they remaster them I will only ever play the first one.

#3962 48 days ago

With this talk of Dread, if any of you happen to notice the Special Edition or the amiibos come back in stock anywhere (Best Buy preferred, but will not be choosy), please post! Unfortunately missed them for preorder so fingers crossed can snag them when released like I did with the Loftwing Zelda amiibo!

#3963 48 days ago

I got all the way to the end of 3, but that last level where it's basically timed just pissed me off after a bunch of tries. Never played 2, I played 1 but can't remember if I beat it or not, I got pretty far.

As far as the graphics, to be honest the old gamecube versions are going to be on par with Metroid Dread, Nintendo hasn't really advanced graphically in 20 years. I'm planning on getting it eventually here.

#3964 48 days ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

With this talk of Dread, if any of you happen to notice the Special Edition or the amiibos come back in stock anywhere (Best Buy preferred, but will not be choosy), please post! Unfortunately missed them for preorder so fingers crossed can snag them when released like I did with the Loftwing Zelda amiibo!

For Loftwing, check Target. I just checked the app, and it said I could order one & have it delivered to my closest store. Another store showed stock.

#3965 48 days ago

Another new game that looks neat

Ultra age

#3966 44 days ago

This has to be one of the worst voice overs ever. At first I thought it was someone making fun of voice overs. At one point she literally says you can use your morph ball ability to morph into a ball. It's just so Captain Obvious and over the top they just spell out exactly what a Metroid game is. I am hyped for the game but man that voice over is a parody.

#3967 44 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

This has to be one of the worst voice overs ever. At first I thought it was someone making fun of voice overs. At one point she literally says you can use your morph ball ability to morph into a ball. It's just so Captain Obvious and over the top they just spell out exactly what a Metroid game is. I am hyped for the game but man that voice over is a parody.

It may be just me but I don’t get the hype for this game. It feels like a 2021 version of Donkey Kong Country, which came out 27 years ago. Not trying to hate as, believe me, I need a game to hold me off until BotW2, so interested to see what others find appealing in this one. Is it the Metroid brand, or what am I missing?

#3968 44 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Another new game that looks neat
Ultra age

This does look sweet.

#3969 44 days ago
Quoted from maffewl:

It may be just me but I don’t get the hype for this game. It feels like a 2021 version of Donkey Kong Country, which came out 27 years ago. Not trying to hate as, believe me, I need a game to hold me off until BotW2, so interested to see what others find appealing in this one. Is it the Metroid brand, or what am I missing?

Have you ever played a Metroid game? If not, that’s what you’re missing.

No counting the 3DS remake of Metroid 2, the last true new 2D Metroid was Fusion on GBA in 2002. Over the last 2 decades, the indie scene has made the “Metroidvania” genre pretty huge…this is the real deal from the franchise that started it all.

If it’s not your thing & you don’t like 2D, skip it. Donkey Kong Country is a linear platformer. Metroid is a large quest where you power up with new abilities which let you explore new areas.

#3970 44 days ago
Quoted from maffewl:

It is 100% the Metroid brand for me, I was going to pre-order but the price tag is a monsoon on my parade. I just can not pay that, I will pick it up used down the road. The got me on the nostalgia with full priced Links Awakening.

#3971 44 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It is 100% the Metroid brand for me, I was going to pre-order but the price tag is a monsoon on my parade. I just can not pay that, I will pick it up used down the road. The got me on the nostalgia with full priced Links Awakening.

Once you’re a pinball guy, what’s $60 for a video game? …unless you plan to shelve it and not play it for a while.

Wal Mart will prob have it for $50 on launch day, if that helps.

#3972 44 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

…unless you plan to shelve it and not play it for a while.

If ever. That's how I roll.

#3973 44 days ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

If ever. That's how I roll.

LOL...I definitely have a stupid backlog...but I don't buy new games unless I want to play it today. I've been pretty good about it lately. Finished Skyward Sword! WOOO! My body is ready!

#3974 43 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Once you’re a pinball guy, what’s $60 for a video game? …unless you plan to shelve it and not play it for a while.

That's what pinball has done to me... What? A new console and a few games its going to cost me a few hundred dollars? What a deal!

$60 is an impulse buy for me now...

#3975 43 days ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

That's what pinball has done to me... What? A new console and a few games its going to cost me a few hundred dollars? What a deal!
$60 is an impulse buy for me now...

Even with pinball, I'm still a cheap-ass and will wait for games to go on sale or buy it used. $40 or less for a 2 month old game is where i'm at lol.

New PS5 games are $70 now, and honestly for what you're getting in some of these games, it's probably worth it. People buy new, play it, then sell it for 60% or more off the original price. I don't have any problems waiting a couple months, especially since more often then not, I'm already working through a game or four at any given time lol.

#3976 43 days ago

I've definitely gotten better about it. Steam and Nintendo sales are where I drop most of my gaming money these days. I opted for the gamepass for Xbox, and that suits me pretty well.

All that, and I still catch myself playing Super Mario World at least once a year.

3 weeks later
#3977 19 days ago

Gonna be a good weekend

3E4B40AB-0F78-4403-97CC-6E3671908ECF (resized).jpegD20C2714-F4BE-4BE6-932D-11A5B72F7355 (resized).jpeg
#3978 19 days ago

Let us know the time breakdown.

#3979 19 days ago

Wanted to get Metroid Dread but BF2042 and a PS5 came my way and sadly have not picked up the Switch for a while.

#3980 18 days ago

At Disneyland now but I will definitely be cracking into metroid when I return!

#3981 18 days ago

Played about an hour of Dredd last night. It is Metroid, in a good way. Gonna be fun. Plays similar to the Samus Returns remake on the 3DS with the parry ability.

#3982 18 days ago

Dread is good, I am enjoying it. That being said it is very old school, indie and has some quirks that get a free pass with the Metroid fever. If this was made by an indie studio on a budget it would deserves all the 9-10 reviews it is getting. As a AAA Nintendo franchise that spent 15 years in "development", its good but its not, that good. Here is the page out of the June 2005 Game informer. It was scheduled for an 06 release on DS. It would have been talked about as the greatest handheld game of all time if it came out as planned. The good news is they made a lot of improvements to the lighting from trailer to release so it looks way better.

June05 (resized).jpg
lSjnMCJ (resized).jpeg

#3983 15 days ago
Quoted from Gov:

Gonna be a good weekend
[quoted image][quoted image]

wth?!? I didn't receive any decals with my bestbuy pre-order.

#3984 15 days ago

OK guys, need some game recommendations. Just picked up an OLED…this will be the first console for my 5 and 8 year old. They are used to playing the 2 button nes games on my playchoice and that’s it other than some lame tablet games.

Right now my list is below. Anything else for new young gamers I’m missing out on? Anything too involved like a BOTW may lose them.

Super Mario World 3D + Bowser’s Fury
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Splatoon 2
Carnival Games

#3985 15 days ago
Quoted from jalkelly:

OK guys, need some game recommendations. Just picked up an OLED…this will be the first console for my 5 and 8 year old. They are used to playing the 2 button nes games on my playchoice and that’s it other than some lame tablet games.
Right now my list is below. Anything else for new young gamers I’m missing out on? Anything too involved like a BOTW may lose them.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Carnival Games

Splatoon is pretty hardcore…they might be too young for it. Can’t go wrong with Mario Odyssey & New Super Mario U Deluxe. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is great & has an easy “Funky Kong” mode for kids. Untitled Goose Game is really funny…I could see kids liking it and laughing.

#3986 15 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Splatoon is pretty hardcore…they might be too young for it. Can’t go wrong with Mario Odyssey & New Super Mario U Deluxe. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is great & has an easy “Funky Kong” mode for kids. Untitled Goose Game is really funny…I could see kids liking it and laughing.

Thanks! I’ll check those out too, I feel Mario heavy but I guess it is Nintendo after all and I’m trying to keep it younger.

Are there any good marvel or dc games worth picking up?

#3987 15 days ago

I own stardew valley on pretty much every platform. I love it. My kids love it.

#3988 15 days ago

The Nintendo online sub would be good too. Some good NES and SNES games, and soon they'll be releasing some n64 and Genesis(???) games (for a TBD price).

#3989 15 days ago
Quoted from jalkelly:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Carnival Games

The Kirby game might be a good fit for that age pairing. (I don’t recall the full title) it was pretty easy IMO but still engaging enough for the younger crowd. The Yoshi game is good too.

#3990 15 days ago

Word of warning on Mario Odyssey…the final level is rage inducing. I have a fundamental problem with the game designers over this. It’s exponentially more difficult than anything you encounter in the rest of the game. I gave up as did both my kids, 12 and 14 at the time. It really mars an otherwise exceptional game.

#3991 14 days ago

Good games for kids

Yoshi crafted world
Kirby star allies
3D mario world
New super Mario bros
Animal crossing
Cruisn blast
Mario kart
Warioware

There’s some free/cheap kid games I’ll have to check. They were recommended to me from someone else.

#3992 14 days ago

+1 Yoshis crafted world
Mario Odyssey

#3993 14 days ago
Quoted from investingdad:

Word of warning on Mario Odyssey…the final level is rage inducing. I have a fundamental problem with the game designers over this. It’s exponentially more difficult than anything you encounter in the rest of the game. I gave up as did both my kids, 12 and 14 at the time. It really mars an otherwise exceptional game.

My friend’s 5 year old son finished Mario Odyssey

Are you talking about the final boss? Or the post game extra levels? That’s a tradition to have ultra hardcore bonus levels at the end of a Mario game.

#3994 14 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My friend’s 5 year old son finished Mario Odyssey
Are you talking about the final boss? Or the post game extra levels? That’s a tradition to have ultra hardcore bonus levels at the end of a Mario game.

The post game extra levels. Not completing them left a feeling of not having finished the game.

The final boss was fine.

#3995 14 days ago

Speaking of video game gripes, here’s my list based on nearly 40 years of playing them:

- asymmetrical difficulty across the game, especially exponential difficulty that is out of place with the rest of the game

- hidden pixels. I hate game designers that think game difficulty is making a switch that opens a door impossible to see or locate.

- puzzles that make no sense in the context of a game

- horrible camera angles that prevent you from completing some difficult move, Epic Mickey comes to mind

- controls that make it nearly impossible to complete a move, Ecco the Dolphin on Dreamcast had controller smashing moments.

- menu and inventory screens that are difficult and cluttered, Bards Tale 4 is my current annoyance

Then you have games like Breath of the Wild that are nearly flawless in their execution.

#3996 14 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

As a AAA Nintendo franchise that spent 15 years in "development", its good but its not, that good.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

There were Metroid DS releases over the last 15 years, Dread was definitely not in development for 15 years.

#3997 14 days ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

There were Metroid DS releases over the last 15 years, Dread was definitely not in development for 15 years.

Dread was conceived and spoken of publically in 2005 for Nintendo DS..... and never came out obviously... That is what Darscot is referring to

https://lostmediawiki.com/Metroid_Dread_(lost_early_Nintendo_DS_build_of_Switch_action-adventure_game;_mid-2000s)

#3998 14 days ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Quoted from northvibe:

Dread was conceived and spoken of publically in 2005 for Nintendo DS..... and never came out obviously... That is what Darscot is referring to
https://lostmediawiki.com/Metroid_Dread_(lost_early_Nintendo_DS_build_of_Switch_action-adventure_game;_mid-2000s)

Yes that is why I put "development" in quotes. I also posted the magazine page with the name and expected release date in 2006. It has not actually had people actively working on it for 15 years. It has gone through several hardware changes and been on and off the shelf several times. Once you get the morph ball and suit it is a lot more fun to play. I am genuinely hating the EMMI sections. I just can not be bothered to use stealth or strategy, I just die 1000 times and eventually manage to run and parry my way through. Anyone remember the movie Saturn 3, those sections always make me think of it.
Satrun3 (resized).jpg

#3999 14 days ago

Anyone else had a moment like this yet?

#4000 14 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Anyone else had a moment like this yet?

Currently stuck right now... again. Just have to find that pesky hidden block.

There are 4060 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 82.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside