q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg
There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 89.
#3801 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

There has long been talk of them using a video card with AI Upscaling, I think nvidia was the front runner. It's a way they can pretend to be on par with new generation consoles but not take on any of the cost. It's classic Nintendo I would not expect much more than that out of Switch Pro.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/sliders/ai-upscaling/
P.S. Keep in mind that lizard is real. The horsepower you need to do the reflections in it's eye don't exist on a switch so you can't upscale what isn't there. It's probably a good move for Nintendo as I don't think their demographic really cares.

Oh wow. That's pretty cool. I could notice a subtle difference between the 2. If they couldn't upres the currently library, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker. Kind of what the PS4 Pro did with the standard PS4s, even though I didn't upgrade my standard PS4 when the Pro came out, but then again, I didn't have a 4k TV that could have fully taken advantage of the Pro's capabilities either. But now that I do...

Quoted from Rarehero:

Did you play Zero Mission & Fusion on GBA? Fantastic 2D Metroids. Samus Returns on 3DS is very good & Dread is by the same developer & looks to have similar mechanics like parrying.

Sadly no. I've got RetroPi that I could emulate it on though...so if anything I'd go that route. Super Metroid is definitely considered one of the all-time greats and would be thrilled to have a similar experience again. I would probably get a remastered version of it.

#3802 2 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

And I'm just over here waiting for Hollow Knight: Silksong

LOVE Hollow Knight! My only gripe with Metroidvania games though is that I tend to put them down, then forget what I have to do next after picking them up again some months (even years) later.

They need to put in some "previously on..." feature in games that will give you a quick reminder of what has happened, a quick tutorial, and what you need to do next to get going again. I've done this on so many games....

#3803 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Fusion is original but Zero and Samus Returns are both remasters/remakes

They’re still great. As much as I loved NES Metroid as a kid, I’d rather play Zero Mission. It looks like Super Metroid & has maps! I never played thru Metroid 2 on GB, as monochrome just seemed too limiting for such an epic. Samus Returns is an excellent way to play it. Plus, it has totally new aiming & parry mechanics, great use of 2nd screen/touchscreen, amazing music, and it’s in gaddamn 3D!!!!

#3804 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

LOVE Hollow Knight! My only gripe with Metroidvania games though is that I tend to put them down, then forget what I have to do next after picking them up again some months (even years) later.
They need to put in some "previously on..." feature in games that will give you a quick reminder of what has happened, a quick tutorial, and what you need to do next to get going again. I've done this on so many games....

Absolutely. Thankfully I was able to figure out what I needed to do in Samus Returns even though I haven’t played it in 3+ years. Hollow Knight though? I’m screwed if I ever try to go back and finish it lol

#3805 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Sadly no. I've RetroPi that I could emulate it on though...so if anything I'd go that route. Super Metroid is definitely considered one of the all-time greats and would be thrilled to have a similar experience again. I would probably get a remastered version of it.

Check em out on your RetroPi! If you loved Super, you’ll totally love Zero Mission & Fusion.

#3806 2 years ago

Here's hoping that whatever "Switch Pro" model that comes out eliminates the lag when playing on an external display. Current model seems to be not much more than a tablet with gaming controls, without much optimization. When you grew up on CRTs and currently play most games with gsync, Switch lag is pretty annoying.

#3807 2 years ago

Crusin blast trailer now on you tube. Looks good, bigger game than the arcade version

#3808 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Here's hoping that whatever "Switch Pro" model that comes out eliminates the lag when playing on an external display. Current model seems to be not much more than a tablet with gaming controls, without much optimization. When you grew up on CRTs and currently play most games with gsync, Switch lag is pretty annoying.

Make sure your display has low lag or has a game mode. Turn off post-processing like smooth-o-vision, adaptive contrast, etc.

Switch doesn’t have any lag inherent to the system. I’ve played precision games like Celeste & other platformers on my display without any discernible lag.

#3809 2 years ago

I don't notice any real lag either. I played a ton of Hades and Dead Cells that require some twitchy reflexes and haven't noticed anything.

#3810 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Check em out on your RetroPi! If you loved Super, you’ll totally love Zero Mission & Fusion.

Great...2 more Metroidvania games (except actually Metroid this time!) for me to start, put down, then never pick up again lol. I will certainly check them out though.

#3811 2 years ago

I think the thing that got me the most excited was the 3 Cave shooters coming. Mushihimesama is up on the eshop now.
This was in the Japanese direct, but game is out here.

Love warioware, not sure how I feel about the gameplay in this one but I’ll still get it like every other Wario game.

#3812 2 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

I think the thing that got me the most excited was the 3 Cave shooters coming. Mushihimesama is up on the eshop now.
This was in the Japanese direct, but game is out here.

Haven't heard of this, but it looks like a bullet-hell SCHMUP from a quick google search. What makes this game different/special/fun from others?

#3813 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Make sure your display has low lag or has a game mode. Turn off post-processing like smooth-o-vision, adaptive contrast, etc.
Switch doesn’t have any lag inherent to the system. I’ve played precision games like Celeste & other platformers on my display without any discernible lag.

I’ve had some issues with Portal Knights when playing with my daughter. It’s so laggy that it’s almost unplayable. Maybe because it’s two player. Anyway that’s the only game I’ve had issues with.

#3814 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LG CX in game mode. Switch doesn't do gsync so I can forgive that, but yes there is definitely extra lag beyond no gsync. I can play Cave Story+ on a DSi and then on my Switch connected to TV and the difference between the two is plain as day. Mario Odyssey I actually stopped playing because the lag in the little side-view areas pissed me off. 3D action tends to hide the lag a little due to character acceleration, but 2D stuff shows it badly.

#3815 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You're also the one who thinks an OSCC is comparable to a CRT, so yeah.. leave us lag-hating folks to our own. Yes I know how to setup a modern television

#3816 2 years ago

I wasn't surprised Nintendo didn't show anything at E3 about the rumored Switch Pro. It would of taken away from many of the great games they shown. They will likely show the reveal sometime in Q3/Q4 2021 with a release in early/mid Q2 2022. Along with the Switch Pro release we'll get BotW2 at launch the same day as the new console. Just like when the Switch was released the same day as BotW.

#3817 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You're also the one who thinks an OSCC is comparable to a CRT, so yeah.. leave us lag-hating folks to our own. Yes I know how to setup a modern television

I hate lag, too. But cool story.

#3818 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Haven't heard of this, but it looks like a bullet-hell SCHMUP from a quick google search. What makes this game different/special/fun from others?

It's hard to describe what makes Cave shooters so unique that's why the original arcade PCBs sells for fortunes.
First, they are hard, extremely hard even but somewhat playable with a Souls like spirit that just gets you to keep going at them with immense satisfaction once you pass a stage.
Soundtrack and graphics are always beyond beautiful apparently misplaced but blend perfectly
And then they always find a unique gameplay trick in how it shoots to add some strategic layer in a score versus risk approach.

Overall I will say Cave makes the best shoot'em up on earth and playing one will likely get you to want to play them all.

#3819 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

It's hard to describe what makes Cave shooters so unique that's why the original arcade PCBs sells for fortunes.
First, they are hard, extremely hard even but somewhat playable with a Souls like spirit that just gets you to keep going at them with immense satisfaction once you pass a stage.
Soundtrack and graphics are always beyond beautiful apparently misplaced but blend perfectly
And then they always find a unique gameplay trick in how it shoots to add some strategic layer in a score versus risk approach.
Overall I will say Cave makes the best shoot'em up on earth and playing one will likely get you to want to play them all.

As much as I like schmups, they all tend to play the same after a while (which was why I asked). Aside from different visuals and different skins, they all tend to be pretty similar imo. For a quick arcade experience, they're great. I wonder if there is something that is deeper, with RPG elements. Gaining XP, which increases stats when you level up, having currency to buy different permanent upgrades. the linear aspect of schmups would be limiting, but that could be a cool and unique mechanic to breath some life into the genre.

One horizontal schmup that I really like is Progear by Capcom. Just a quick google search shows that CAVE was involved too Didn't know that.

Going back to Nintendo, I really enjoy UN Squadron on the SNES. I guess that style of gameplay matching up with a longer formatted shooter vs 1 shot kills.

#3820 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

As much as I like schmups, they all tend to play the same after a while (which was why I asked). Aside from different visuals and different skins, they all tend to be pretty similar imo. For a quick arcade experience, they're great. I wonder if there is something that is deeper, with RPG elements. Gaining XP, which increases stats when you level up, having currency to buy different permanent upgrades. the linear aspect of schmups would be limiting, but that could be a cool and unique mechanic to breath some life into the genre.
One horizontal schmup that I really like is Progear by Capcom. Just a quick google search shows that CAVE was involved too Didn't know that.
Going back to Nintendo, I really enjoy UN Squadron on the SNES. I guess that style of gameplay matching up with a longer formatted shooter vs 1 shot kills.

All the Cave shooters are on Mame, if you want to try them, Deathsmiles is the one I would encourage you to start with. On the Switch if you liked UN Squadron, I would recommed Darius Cozmic collection, different setting but same kind of gameplay.

#3821 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

All the Cave shooters are on Mame, if you want to try them, Deathsmiles is the one I would encourage you to start with. On the Switch if you liked UN Squadron, I would recommed Darius Cozmic collection, different setting but same kind of gameplay.

Thanks for the recs! I'll check them out. I probably have them all loaded up already, just don't know it

#3822 2 years ago

just pre-ordered the Limited Run - Zombies Ate My Neighbors & Ghoul Patrol

#3823 2 years ago

Man I was really looking forward to Mario Golf, but the reviews are not good. That franchise has really fallen. I think I will give the GBA version a play it was a masterpiece.

#3824 2 years ago

I forgot about Tony Hawk coming out on the Switch. Definitely buying that tomorrow!

#3825 2 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

I forgot about Tony Hawk coming out on the Switch. Definitely buying that tomorrow!

Me too, I'll pick that up instead!

#3826 2 years ago

yeah surprised at the mario golf reviews, looked like it was gonna be a winner

#3827 2 years ago

I mean, it's golf, the most boring sport of all time. I'm shocked they still make video games of it. As much as I love Mario, I don't think I've ever bought a Mario sports title. Easy pass.

#3828 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I mean, it's golf, the most boring sport of all time. I'm shocked they still make video games of it. As much as I love Mario, I don't think I've ever bought a Mario sports title. Easy pass.

You are missing out if you don't try Golf Story. Great game and pretty cheap.

#3829 2 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

You are missing out if you don't try Golf Story. Great game and pretty cheap.

Not an RPG fan...2 strikes on that one lol

#3830 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Man I was really looking forward to Mario Golf, but the reviews are not good. That franchise has really fallen. I think I will give the GBA version a play it was a masterpiece.

I got Mario Golf yesterday, and haven't stopped playing it since then. I don't get the negative reviews about it, I think the base golf gameplay has an interesting twist to it with a real risk/reward approach where the strong shot has a random precision aspect to it that makes you hesitate to play it safe or shoot hard, it adds some variety to the play as you don't end up with the classic boring shot mastered and the ability to get the ball exactly where you want it to go.

I'm 2 hours into the story mode, and so far so good (I will agree far from the golf story masteripeice), it has some variety, the fun Mario twists, different modes.

All together I like this episode a lot, like every Mario Golf entries, it's exactly what I needed for the summer.

#3831 2 years ago

Thinning the herd if anyones looking for some switch games. NIB = sealed new in box, CIB = complete in box but opened. About 150 games

Sell less than eBay sold / price charting
100% feedback on eBay if ya need reference
https://ebay.com/usr/sweetdave40

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1acdmBAEp7QC_JSIBpLJXUoEDGOruIF_2seYXEdelrQc/edit?usp=drivesdk

#3832 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I got Mario Golf yesterday, and haven't stopped playing it since then. I don't get the negative reviews about it, I think the base golf gameplay has an interesting twist to it with a real risk/reward approach where the strong shot has a random precision aspect to it that makes you hesitate to play it safe or shoot hard, it adds some variety to the play as you don't end up with the classic boring shot mastered and the ability to get the ball exactly where you want it to go.
I'm 2 hours into the story mode, and so far so good (I will agree far from the golf story masteripeice), it has some variety, the fun Mario twists, different modes.
All together I like this episode a lot, like every Mario Golf entries, it's exactly what I needed for the summer.

Weird I’ve heard ppl had bugs… been meaning to grab it as it looks fun

#3833 2 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Thinning the herd if anyones looking for some switch games. NIB = sealed new in box, CIB = complete in box but opened. About 150 games
Sell less than eBay sold / price charting
100% feedback on eBay if ya need reference
https://ebay.com/usr/sweetdave40
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1acdmBAEp7QC_JSIBpLJXUoEDGOruIF_2seYXEdelrQc/edit?usp=drivesdk

Man! Wish super blood hockey wasnt so pricey…

Looking for any trades?

#3834 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Man! Wish super blood hockey wasnt so pricey…
Looking for any trades?

maybe retro game stuff for my twitch stream (nes,snes,genesis) but trying to get some cash for some other things hah. figured id offer places like this before going to feebay

#3835 2 years ago

mail call yesterday

20210628_131047 (resized).jpg20210628_131047 (resized).jpg
#3836 2 years ago

Nice ! I'm a huge fan of everything Suda 51 does

#3837 2 years ago

Nothing fancy but I’m excited to relive my ps1 days and my wife also remembers playing so it could be fun 2player.

Didn’t see Mario golf at bb :/ but I’ll probably get it soon ish

9428112F-21B1-47B6-8ACB-96874BB4BEE2 (resized).jpeg9428112F-21B1-47B6-8ACB-96874BB4BEE2 (resized).jpeg
#3838 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Nothing fancy but I’m excited to relive my ps1 days and my wife also remembers playing so it could be fun 2player.
Didn’t see Mario golf at bb :/ but I’ll probably get it soon ish
[quoted image]

wow your best buy still shows the games... mine just has photos of them and not the back so you cant even really browse and make an impulse buy

#3839 2 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

wow your best buy still shows the games... mine just has photos of them and not the back so you cant even really browse and make an impulse buy

Oh, weird, I do live in a random small town. I bet BB’s in the two cities do what yours do. I guess all that locks that case is a magnet?

#3840 2 years ago

I'm pretty excited about losing more hours to Advance Wars and the Mario v Rabbids follow up.

#3841 2 years ago
Quoted from sixgill:

I'm pretty excited about losing more hours to Advance Wars and the Mario v Rabbids follow up.

Did you beat the first Mario v rabbids?
I made it a few levels in but this made me wanna pick it back up!

#3842 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I did! I even beat the DK DLC mode! …and I’ve never played more than 5 minutes of a strategy game - I usually hate ‘em! Mario Rabbids really hooked me after I picked it back up again. I had about 3 hours on it…but then gave it another go & it just became a great “dad game” for me. Knocked out a few stages here and there when baby was sleeping. Before long I had like 30 hrs on it & beat both stories! There are still extra challenges to play and more collectibles to find, but I’m pretty happy with getting bit endings!

#3843 2 years ago

Mario + Rabbids is in my top 3 Switch games. Absolutely loved it. Excited for the follow up.

#3844 2 years ago

Alright, gonna look into it. It wasn't even on my radar.

#3845 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I did! I even beat the DK DLC mode! …and I’ve never played more than 5 minutes of a strategy game - I usually hate ‘em! Mario Rabbids really hooked me after I picked it back up again. I had about 3 hours on it…but then gave it another go & it just became a great “dad game” for me. Knocked out a few stages here and there when baby was sleeping. Before long I had like 30 hrs on it & beat both stories! There are still extra challenges to play and more collectibles to find, but I’m pretty happy with getting bit endings!

Quoted from Gov:

Mario + Rabbids is in my top 3 Switch games. Absolutely loved it. Excited for the follow up.

Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Alright, gonna look into it. It wasn't even on my radar.

I like the idea of rpg's etc, but really never got into them. I've played FF1 and FF2 on my old iphone 3 when I had time, otherwise I like diablo style or boarderlands where you have some but its a very active non turn based style. However mario vs rabbids some how makes it fun and easy to play that type of game. Also lots of humor of course with the rabbids. Yeah, totally worth a play, wonder if there is a demo available?

#3846 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Quoted from Rarehero:

Quoted from Gov:

Like @rarehero, I beat both the main and DK add-on. This is pretty amazing for someone who regularly leaves games unfinished. I particularly enjoy the turn based approach meaning if attention is directed elsewhere for a sec, it doesn't ruin a game.

I'll be playing it again from the start pretty soon in anticipation.

#3847 2 years ago

I'm pretty easily persuaded into buying more games

20210701_205348 (resized).jpg20210701_205348 (resized).jpg
#3848 2 years ago

I'm pretty easily persuaded into buying more games[quoted image]

Ya!!!! Let us know how you like it

#3849 2 years ago

I'm pretty easily persuaded into buying more games[quoted image]

Excellent buy ! This game is in my all times top 3 and came as a very unexpected mashup of my 2 favorite universes !

Can't wait for the second one next year

#3850 2 years ago

I know it will never happen, but I hold onto hope that somebody will bring Skies of Arcadia to a modern console such as the Switch. I loved the Dreamcast and that game was my favorite.

Both Ori games very pleasant diversions, but could be a bit challenging at times, that’s for sure.

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/page/77?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.