q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg
There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 89.
#3751 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, camping shows how this game is kinda fundamentally broken. There really isn't much incentive to getting tons of ghost chains & clearing more stages. You can just chill and let everyone else kill each other.

Right? My strategy was to go around and around the outer rim getting the power pellets and then chaining the ghosts as big as I could over and over till it was huge. So fun to chomp a 50+ snake of ghosts.

1 week later
#3752 2 years ago

Just picked up super mario party brand new for $30. Pretty pleased even though I heard its not the best. I have NO other MPs though. They are all so expensive!

#3753 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Just picked up super mario party brand new for $30. Pretty pleased even though I heard its not the best. I have NO other MPs though. They are all so expensive!

now that online is available, I bet it will be more fun

#3754 2 years ago

MP is pretty fun. It uses the motion aspect of the joycon pretty well. The only other MP I've played was for NGC, with college friends. We had a helluva fun time! I think this one is geared more towards younger players, as the controls and rules are pretty simple. I'm sure getting a few buddies over with drinks would still be stupid fun though lol.

#3755 2 years ago

Only issue is there isn't a lot of boards for it. So it gets old kinda quick.

#3756 2 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Only issue is there isn't a lot of boards for it. So it gets old kinda quick.

I read MP 5 is the best all around? Any one got an opinion on that? Ive been hunting.

#3757 2 years ago

my problem with mario party games is the cheapness of the board area that takes away the skill of the mini games. never really could get into them

#3758 2 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Take a look at Stardew Valley, too. That's $15, and my daughter and I are able to play on the same copy with the PC version (assuming you have a couple of PCs that can handle a pretty low-demand game). I think up to 4 can play in co-op.
I was going to get AC for a bit of escapism, but decided to dig into my owned games before dropping 60 on something new. I'm glad I did, we're hooked, and I much prefer the sprite 16-bit era art style.

Necro-quote from a year ago lol! My wife and daughter were playing Animal Crossing (much like a ton of people last year I'm sure) and in trying to get them to play something else, I looked at and saw Stardew Valley. After seeing my wife and daughter play it for a short time, I half jokingly said that I should start a game....well...65 hrs later, I'm still plugging away at my farm! Never realized how addicting this game was! It's starting to fade now, as it is getting a little samey, but man it's as much time as I've put into other AAA titles in the last year! I say bravo to the one-man-developer for making something so simple yet so addicting!

Quoted from InfiniteLives:

my problem with mario party games is the cheapness of the board area that takes away the skill of the mini games. never really could get into them

MP and Mario Kart are the same in that in the end game, they try to level the playing field for those that are behind. Completely makes sense and perfect for gamers and non-gamers alike. This is why Nintendo is the king/queen of family gaming.

I joke with my family that I don't play with them because I win every time...but I'm kind of not joking either, since I don't want them to get frustrated with me winning all of the time. With that said, it's always fun to dominate in the mini-games

#3759 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

MP and Mario Kart are the same in that in the end game, they try to level the playing field for those that are behind. Completely makes sense and perfect for gamers and non-gamers alike. This is why Nintendo is the king/queen of family gaming.

Blue Shells are the worst, but I still wouldn't put Mario Kart in this convo. The better player will generally come out on top. Mario Party, not so much. Not a fan of MP. The mini games are fun, but the board game part and the enormous luck factor ruin them for me.

#3760 2 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Blue Shells are the worst, but I still wouldn't put Mario Kart in this convo. The better player will generally come out on top. Mario Party, not so much. Not a fan of MP. The mini games are fun, but the board game part and the enormous luck factor ruin them for me.

When I play MP, it's with my kids, and being 7 and 5, they could use the boost at the end of the game. Not a big deal, as it makes it more enjoyable for them, as much as for me. Now, if I were playing with someone in the same skill level, then it's annoying as hell!

#3761 2 years ago

I think Mario Kart and Mario Party are the two worst offenders when it comes to rubber band AI. Mario Party is, what it is, so it's not a big deal. Mario Kart though they really need to put some effort in to create some skill based modes. It could be an eSports king if they just spent a tiny amount on balance.

#3762 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I think Mario Kart and Mario Party are the two worst offenders when it comes to rubber band AI. Mario Party is what it is so it's not a big deal. Mario Kart though they really need to put some effort in to create some skill based modes. It could be an eSports king if they just spent a tiny amount on balance.

I know people say MK8 has no skill due to blue shells and whatnot...but, whenever I race online, there's always 1 or 2 people who just blow everyone else away...so even with blue shells and whatnot, they know all the tricks to stay in first. Meanwhile I get slammed with every f'ing attack and lose mostly lol

#3763 2 years ago

A simple thing they could do for Mario Kart is to just add an option to turn off those items. Then you can play with similar skilled players and it wouldn't be a problem.

#3764 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

A simple thing they could do for Mario Kart is to just add an option to turn off those items. Then you can play with similar skilled players and it wouldn't be a problem.

I think you actually can do that...I'm pretty sure you can create a room and your own settings like turning off power ups.

#3765 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I think you can turn off some items now, but even still the difference between the characters is so big and there is always exploits like crazy. Does anyone else hate the whole snaking thing. Just destroyed the game for me, it changed it from a racer to who can enter the Konami code the fastest.

#3766 2 years ago

I got home late from a gig last night and plopped down for some binding of isaac. I still love this game sooo much and I havent beat mother yet! I got really close last night. I love the diversity in the power ups, enemies, etc. It always feels fresh even though I am playing the same game over and over.

I bought enter the gundgeon but I am not going to open it until I can finally beat mother once in isaac.

Anybody in to that sick shit?

#3767 2 years ago

I got home late from a gig last night and plopped down for some binding of isaac. I still love this game sooo much and I havent beat mother yet! I got really close last night. I love the diversity in the power ups, enemies, etc. It always feels fresh even though I am playing the same game over and over.
I bought enter the gundgeon but I am not going to open it until I can finally beat mother once in isaac.
Anybody in to that sick shit?

I couldn't stand more than 5 minutes of Isaac. Seemed unplayable...like, all he shoots is a slow single ball at a time? Not sure what the hook is.

Enter the Gungeon is awesome, though! Love that game!

#3768 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I couldn't stand more than 5 minutes of Isaac. Seemed unplayable...like, all he shoots is a slow single ball at a time? Not sure what the hook is.
Enter the Gungeon is awesome, though! Love that game!

That's how Isaac starts but fairly quickly you get random add ons, some make your life easier, others ruin it, but you still have to go with it until the next ones.

It's a part of the gameplay, overall I really enjoyed the game, finished it multiple times, I will confess being slightly biased as I'm a lifelong fan of twin stick shooters.

#3769 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

That's how Isaac starts but fairly quickly you get random add ons, some make your life easier, others ruin it, but you still have to go with it until the next ones.
It's a part of the gameplay, overall I really enjoyed the game, finished it multiple times, I will confess being slightly biased as I'm a lifelong fan of twin stick shooters.

I love twin stick shooters, too...but I'm used to more rapid fire.

#3770 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I love twin stick shooters, too...but I'm used to more rapid fire.

You would have loved my run last night then. I had double tears and my fire rate was insanely fast. I was slaughtering rooms.

You gotta give it some time. Play it a few runs and see if you like it more.

I use left stick to move and the buttons on the right to fire. Something feels laggy to me about about firing from the stick. Directions dont change as fast.

#3771 2 years ago

You would have loved my run last night then. I had double tears and my fire rate was insanely fast. I was slaughtering rooms.
You gotta give it some time. Play it a few runs and see if you like it more.

Problem is that it's an expensive game that never goes on sale cheap. If it was on sale for like $3, I'd give it another chance lol

#3772 2 years ago

BoI is still one of my favorites. Problem is if I don't play all of the time I forget what the items are and have to end up looking them up which I have always found annoying. Playing on PC with mods is better since you can have a mod that tells you what stuff does.

#3773 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Problem is that it's an expensive game that never goes on sale cheap. If it was on sale for like $3, I'd give it another chance lol

Ya, I had to hunt it on mercari for $30. Worth it!

Quoted from Gov:

BoI is still one of my favorites. Problem is if I don't play all of the time I forget what the items are and have to end up looking them up which I have always found annoying. Playing on PC with mods is better since you can have a mod that tells you what stuff does.

I have an app that I use. I really just dont give an F most of the time and if the power up looks cool, I will grab it and learn the hard way, lol.

#3774 2 years ago

Anyone play Risk of Rain 2? It's on sale in the eShop right now. I've played the first game, which was an 8-bit 2D side scrolling rougelike, but has been changed to a 3rd person shooter in the sequel. I really enjoyed the first game, the music was great, and I'll occasionally jump back into it.

#3775 2 years ago

Just picked up a sealed odyssey down the road for $30. Pretty stoked. I love a good deal!

#3776 2 years ago

I bought and played a handful of binding of isaac but man I couldn't get into it. Hades....now that for some reason I like...

Just picked up a sealed odyssey down the road for $30. Pretty stoked. I love a good deal!

That is a great deal! 1st part stuff barely goes on sale

1 month later
#3777 2 years ago

What did everyone think of all the E3 news. Metroid Dread and Advanced Wars both look really good, but I just can't do it at that price point. I just picked up a Rift Apart it was hard to justify it's price but it is the cutting edge of console gaming. I'll be day one for BotW 2 everything they showed looks amazing. Warioware was a bit of a one hit wonder for me so not really interested in it but at least it's a cheaper price. I am going to resist buying the damn Zelda Game and Watch, but its fucking Nintendo kryptonite. I still have a the Wii Skyward Sword and never finished it so I won't double dip it for an HD version.

What are you guys looking forward too?

#3778 2 years ago

we spend thousands of dollars on pinball machines, we've waited how many years for a new 2D metroid, and you're complaining about $20?

I will buy Dread and Warioware with nary a smidgen of regret.

#3779 2 years ago

E3 is so unnecessary now, too many leaks, too much real time information. Sony is right to skip it, and Nintendo Direct's always give timely updates. Time to bury it in the history of gaming.

Looking forward to most everything Nintendo announced, they probably had the most surprises of the show.

#3780 2 years ago

Yeah E3 is kinda silly but back in the day it was insanity. Now it's just the time of year that everyone announces stuff. I do look forward to Nintendo dropping bombs though they have had some epic reveals.

#3781 2 years ago

Eagerly awaiting Metroid Dread. There is a good YouTube video from producer Sakamoto Yoshio about its development history.

#3782 2 years ago

E3 for nintendo was pretty fun. although it's the only console I actively use.

Cruisin blast!!!! yesssssss
Strangers brigade looks kinda fun
still need to get the game build garage
Advanced wars 1/2!! looks pretty neat as an upgrade
I may be the minority but Im looking forward to skyward sword.
the zelda game and watch!!! saaaweeetttt!!! just ordered the mario one the other day on sale.
Man I feel like Im missing something, besides metroid.. I feel like i suck at the old metroids so not sure how I feel about the new dread but I'll probably buy it.

OMG warioware!!! YESSSS!!!!!

EDIT:
here is the direct via YT

#3783 2 years ago

I drooled all over my keyboard during that Direct, and pre ordered a Zelda Game and Watch. Nintendo nailed it, plain and straight. And then pulling a Metroid 2D where everyone was expecting a new Prime, only Nintendo pulls that kind of things.

#3784 2 years ago

Things I miss

splatoon 3 info
f-zero
star fox
arms 2?
a new mario game w/ bowsers fury mechanics/gfx/3dworld OR a new odyssey

#3785 2 years ago

Absolutely cannot wait for BOTW sequel. Hope it’s early 2022. Unlikely but I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

#3786 2 years ago

Very excited about Metroid. I love the Prime series, but grew up with the 2d games, and am super happy they are continuing that series. Very different environment here, but that's not a complaint. It almost has the feel of a survival horror game. Can't wait!

Related note, I was on top of it, and still wasn't able to get a preorder for the special edition or the Amiibo. This forced scarcity from Nintendo is really starting to piss me off. It's like they WANT to support the scalpers. It's worse than pinball toppers.

I was able to snag a Zelda G&W though...which looks great. I love my Mario one. It stays plugged into the USB on my work computer, and makes for a fun little desk clock through the work day.

I never got around to playing Skyward Sword, so I'm definitely looking forward to it. Always loved the art style, and am glad it will now have an HD remaster. I know they claim there will be no more announcements for the 35th, but I am still guessing we see additional remasters once SS is released. They do not want to take SS's thunder by dropping OoT and MM or TP and WW. Not sure we will see all four of those yet this year, but I have a good feeling we might.

And...of course...MONKEY BALL! As rolling ball affectionados, everyone on this site should be pumped for this! LOL The remaster of Banana Blitz was a good news/bad news situation for sure (why did they pick that one?!), but this one being the first few games is awesome. Looks like all the mini-games will be back, including the REAL Monkey Target...not that watered down version from BB! That is good stuff.

Someday F-Zero will be back. I hope.

#3787 2 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3788 2 years ago

Also really bummed at not being able to score the metroid amiibo or special edition. Preorders used to exist so they could see how many to make... If they are only going to make x amount regardless of demand why wouldnt stores want them in their brick and mortar locations so consumers need to go in to pick them up and perhaps buy other items while there?

Really bummed as the scalpers always win these days

#3789 2 years ago

I’ve got Alex Kidd on order & I’m excited for a new 2D Metroid

#3790 2 years ago

I hope they make a modern Kid Icarus game for the switch. I never got to play uprising because of stupid prices.

A new star Fox game would be nice or f-zero… As much as I love Nintendo they’re sitting on so many properties… I’m all for Mario and Zelda games but make a special team to do experimental styles of gameplay… throw some crazy ideas at the wall and see what sticks

#3791 2 years ago

Metroid Dread is pretty exciting, looks like it’s trying some new things with the horror-alien robots. I never finished Metroid Samus Returns on 3DS, so I fired that back up & have been playing that for the last few days. Man, I love 3DS…feels really nice playing it again!

The rest of the announcements, eh. I love WarioWare on GBA, but since then they haven’t been great. We’ll see.

BOTW2 & Splatoon 3 are what I really want…I can wait till next year. My prediction is the Switch Pro will launch next year & Zelda, Splatoon & others will take advantage of the new hardware.

#3792 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Metroid Dread is pretty exciting, looks like it’s trying some new things with the horror-alien robots. I never finished Metroid Samus Returns on 3DS, so I fired that back up & have been playing that for the last few days. Man, I love 3DS…feels really nice playing it again!
The rest of the announcements, eh. I love WarioWare on GBA, but since then they haven’t been great. We’ll see.
BOTW2 & Splatoon 3 are what I really want…I can wait till next year. My prediction is the Switch Pro will launch next year & Zelda, Splatoon & others will take advantage of the new hardware.

yup. I bet they want their "next" big titles to have super graphics release with the new switch and they'll do autoscaling to maintain the "less" graphic on the current switches. Great Idea and ability to keep both versions going compatibility wise.

#3793 2 years ago

Looking forward to Metroid Dread also. I'm glad that they are returning to the 2D sidescrolling format. I haven't played a real Metroid since Prime so many years ago. Fun game, but I needs my 2D sidescrolling!

I don't know what the specs are for the Switch Pro, but I really do hope they make the jump to 4K resolution. I love my Switch, but playing docked on a 4K screen is a bit of a letdown at times. Hope they can make that next-gen jump!

#3794 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Looking forward to Metroid Dread also. I'm glad that they are returning to the 2D sidescrolling format. I haven't played a real Metroid since Prime so many years ago. Fun game, but I needs my 2D sidescrolling!
I don't know what the specs are for the Switch Pro, but I really do hope they make the jump to 4K resolution. I love my Switch, but playing docked on a 4K screen is a bit of a letdown at times. Hope they can make that next-gen jump!

that is the rumor.... hoping so!

#3795 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

that is the rumor.... hoping so!

Hope so! I'm not sure if they can up-res the existing library (assuming that the games are backwards compatible) but that would be a launch day buy for me. We spend enough time playing the Switch that it would be worth it!

#3796 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Hope so! I'm not sure if they can up-res the existing library (assuming that the games are backwards compatible) but that would be a launch day buy for me. We spend enough time playing the Switch that it would be worth it!

There has long been talk of them using a video card with AI Upscaling, I think nvidia was the front runner. It's a way they can pretend to be on par with new generation consoles but not take on any of the cost. It's classic Nintendo I would not expect much more than that out of Switch Pro.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/sliders/ai-upscaling/

P.S. Keep in mind that lizard is real. The horsepower you need to do the reflections in it's eye don't exist on a switch so you can't upscale what isn't there. It's probably a good move for Nintendo as I don't think their demographic really cares.

#3797 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Did you play Zero Mission & Fusion on GBA? Fantastic 2D Metroids. Samus Returns on 3DS is very good & Dread is by the same developer & looks to have similar mechanics like parrying.

#3798 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Did you play Zero Mission & Fusion on GBA? Fantastic 2D Metroids. Samus Returns on 3DS is very good & Dread is by the same developer & looks to have similar mechanics like parrying.

Fusion is original but Zero and Samus Returns are both remasters/remakes. There has been a long rumored 2D remake of Super Metroid in the works, they seemed pretty tight lipped if it turned into a new game that is Dread or if Dread is in fact a remaster.

#3799 2 years ago

And I'm just over here waiting for Hollow Knight: Silksong

#3800 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I would think old games could have a patch from dev's if their assets support it. Or the hardware could do some upscaling, but then you have potential issues there too. Be nice if it was a setting that could be enabled ala ps2/ps3 used for doing things like that.

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/page/76 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.