q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg
There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 89.
#3451 3 years ago

This is my first post in this thread. I have been a Switch owner since day one and a huge Nintendo fan my whole life going all the back to the NES. My daughter who is turning 6 is finally getting into video games and she can not get enough of the Switch and all the games we have for it. I blew her mind with all the past consoles that I still have with all the games. She is in heaven right now. Currently her and I are playing Super Mario Odyssey. I purchased Mario Odyssey when it came out almost 3 years ago. I can't believe it has been that long! I will honestly say that I had a good time playing thru it but I was sort of meh throughout the experience. I only got the bare minimum moons that you need and once I beat it I went back for the power cube moons but then life took over and I stopped playing. I believe I had about 200 or so moons. Not sure why the first run thru did not catch me. I was a huge Galaxy fan and hold those two games near to me. I always preach how Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are the best games ever made so when I played Odyssey and saw that it was a different game it sort of went low on my excitement and love of the game. I picked up Odyssey again about 3 weeks ago when my daughter started playing and picked up right where I left off on my profile. I am currently at around 430 moons. Still have a way to go!

I was sitting on the couch last night playing and it hit me right there. I now understand how great this game is. It is a masterpiece in every way possible. I will still say for me Galaxy is my favorite Mario but can honestly agree Odyssey is a better game and I am going to say one of the best games ever made. My mind has changed on it and I am hooked on trying to 100% this game. I really can not see how Nintendo will top this game but knowing them they will. Excited to see what the future holds for Mario but in the meantime I will enjoy this game and will absolutely say that it is magic and one of if not the best game out there! Just wanted to come into this thread and say that. I am just excited about this game! Carry on.

#3452 3 years ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

This is my first post in this thread. I have been a Switch owner since day one and a huge Nintendo fan my whole life going all the back to the NES. My daughter who is turning 6 is finally getting into video games and she can not get enough of the Switch and all the games we have for it. I blew her mind with all the past consoles that I still have with all the games. She is in heaven right now. Currently her and I are playing Super Mario Odyssey. I purchased Mario Odyssey when it came out almost 3 years ago. I can't believe it has been that long! I will honestly say that I had a good time playing thru it but I was sort of meh throughout the experience. I only got the bare minimum moons that you need and once I beat it I went back for the power cube moons but then life took over and I stopped playing. I believe I had about 200 or so moons. Not sure why the first run thru did not catch me. I was a huge Galaxy fan and hold those two games near to me. I always preach how Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are the best games ever made so when I played Odyssey and saw that it was a different game it sort of went low on my excitement and love of the game. I picked up Odyssey again about 3 weeks ago when my daughter started playing and picked up right where I left off on my profile. I am currently at around 430 moons. Still have a way to go!
I was sitting on the couch last night playing and it hit me right there. I now understand how great this game is. It is a masterpiece in every way possible. I will still say for me Galaxy is my favorite Mario but can honestly agree Odyssey is a better game and I am going to say one of the best games ever made. My mind has changed on it and I am hooked on trying to 100% this game. I really can not see how Nintendo will top this game but knowing them they will. Excited to see what the future holds for Mario but in the meantime I will enjoy this game and will absolutely say that it is magic and one of if not the best game out there! Just wanted to come into this thread and say that. I am just excited about this game! Carry on.

I just bought paper Mario origami King and pre-ordered super 3d allstars for my sons birthday later this month.

#3453 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I just bought paper Mario origami King and pre-ordered super 3d allstars for my sons birthday later this month.

All Stars is tempting. I really liked Galaxy and could play Sunshine again. I've played Mario 64 to death and wouldn't touch it. It's really about whether or not I want to play Galaxy on the Switch

#3454 3 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

All Stars is tempting. I really liked Galaxy and could play Sunshine again. I've played Mario 64 to death and wouldn't touch it. It's really about whether or not I want to play Galaxy on the Switch

I ordered Allstars. Having Galaxy in HD and being able to play it portable is enough for me to make the purchase.

#3455 3 years ago

You know what would be great, is a re-do of Skyward Sword to NOT USE THE STUPID WII CONTROLS. That would be awesome. That is all.

#3456 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You know what would be great, is a re-do of Skyward Sword to NOT USE THE STUPID WII CONTROLS. That would be awesome. That is all.

Amazon had a pre-order listed for Skyward Sword on the Switch but pulled it. Hopefully something is on the horizon!

#3457 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Agreed. While they're at it a port of the DS version that made you use the stylus where I don't have to use the stylus would be nice. Although I don't even know if that game is any good because I bailed on it real early because of the stylus.

#3458 3 years ago

That mariokart live looks neat. I wonder what the track size limit is. Would be cool it you can dart in and out of different rooms and no be limited to doing a loop or squiggles in the same room.

#3459 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's been so long, but I enjoyed Twilight Princess and Resident Evil 4 on the o.g. Wii, especially aiming and shooting bow and guns. Is the complaint about swinging the nunchuk for sword slashes?

#3460 3 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

It's been so long, but I enjoyed Twilight Princess and Resident Evil 4 on the o.g. Wii, especially aiming and shooting bow and guns. Is the complaint about swinging the nunchuk for sword slashes?

Twilight was great its Skyward Sword that had waggle issues. That and the flying over world, I think its the only console Zelda I actually just got bored and stopped playing.

#3461 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I did like using it when flying and using the beetle tool. There were some great things that worked with the wii motion plus but I agree the fighting was a little frustrating.

#3462 3 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I was kinda joking - we just don't have the Wii set up anymore, and we had a hard time getting it going when my son was little, and I'd like to play Skyward Sword again! Nintendo has to rework SS to use regular controls for it to work on the Switch.

#3463 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Nintendo has to rework SS to use regular controls for it to work on the Switch.

Not necessarily... Switch joycons have motion sensors. Skyward Sword switch port will come with Nintendo Labo 2: cardboard swords, shields, boomerangs and bombs

#3464 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Not necessarily... Switch joycons have motion sensors. Skyward Sword switch port will come with Nintendo Labo 2: cardboard swords, shields, boomerangs and bombs

Oh right! good point

#3465 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Totally underutilized. Super sad we don’t have gun games making a bigger appearance on switch

#3466 3 years ago

Is the Pro controller worth the money?

#3467 3 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I think it's overpriced but it is a good controller. We've had 2 fail (drift issues) in our household just outside the warranty period but taking them apart and cleaning them fixes them.

#3468 3 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Yes. The pro controller is a great controller. I’ve never had an issue but I get I only play a few hours a week.

There are good knock off controllers for ~$25 but they are missing the vibration or the amiibo scan. Not a huge deal.

Also there are adapters so you can use an Xbox controller is you prefer

#3469 3 years ago

I use mayflash adapters with ps4 controllers, but they're laggy and worthless on games that need quick inputs. I stopped using them on ACNH because they kept screwing up my fishing. I don't recommend them at this point.

I'm currently using the joycons on everything, but I still end up with a lot more synch issues with them than I think I should. Does anyone else have joycons losing synch relatively frequently?

#3470 3 years ago

I love my pro controller. I have had it since launch and still works great. Battery lasts forever too.

#3471 3 years ago

Ok thank you I ordered a Pro controller now I just hope it works with the upcoming 3D all stars

#3472 3 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Ok thank you I ordered a Pro controller now I just hope it works with the upcoming 3D all stars

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't.

The Pro controller is a good purchase, you won't regret it.

#3473 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Totally underutilized. Super sad we don’t have gun games making a bigger appearance on switch

Have you seen this? Havent looked into it yet just saw the preorder ad last night

Edit: wow i watched a video of this game, probably one of the worst games ever lol. might be worth getting as it will be rare in the future cause it is complete trash.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/chicken-range-bundle-nintendo-switch/6427114.p?skuId=6427114

#3474 3 years ago

These came yesterday

20200911_184603 (resized).jpg20200911_184603 (resized).jpg20200911_184607 (resized).jpg20200911_184607 (resized).jpg20200911_184616 (resized).jpg20200911_184616 (resized).jpg20200911_184628 (resized).jpg20200911_184628 (resized).jpg20200911_184632 (resized).jpg20200911_184632 (resized).jpg20200911_184639 (resized).jpg20200911_184639 (resized).jpg20200911_184645 (resized).jpg20200911_184645 (resized).jpg20200911_184647 (resized).jpg20200911_184647 (resized).jpg20200911_184649 (resized).jpg20200911_184649 (resized).jpg20200911_184710 (resized).jpg20200911_184710 (resized).jpg
#3475 3 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Have you seen this? Havent looked into it yet just saw the preorder ad last night
Edit: wow i watched a video of this game, probably one of the worst games ever lol. might be worth getting as it will be rare in the future cause it is complete trash.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/chicken-range-bundle-nintendo-switch/6427114.p?skuId=6427114

Oh no! I didn’t. Dang the joycon gun holder looks alright. I really had high hopes for big buck hunter and that I don’t think supported using the joycon like that :/ super sad

#3476 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Oh no! I didn’t. Dang the joycon gun holder looks alright. I really had high hopes for big buck hunter and that I don’t think supported using the joycon like that :/ super sad

The gun look pretty awesome, the game looks like a flash web browser game made for a school project

#3477 3 years ago

Own Mario64, Sunshine and Galaxy - all boxed. Bought by me on their original releases

Still just pre-ordered Allstars 3D. It’s a disease.

#3478 3 years ago

So with All Stars leaking out last night I thought I would just take a quick peek at Mario 64 compared to the fan port. The results are so embarrassing for Nintendo. The fan port is so much better, widescreen, updated models, improved camera, texture packs... I knew the fan port existed but had no idea it was so good with such polish. As some one in the industry this just kills me.

#3479 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

So with All Stars leaking out last night I thought I would just take a quick peek at Mario 64 compared to the fan port. The results are so embarrassing for Nintendo. The fan port is so much better, widescreen, updated models, improved camera, texture packs... I knew the fan port existed but had no idea it was so good with such polish. As some one in the industry this just kills me.

I wonder if Darscot is in the industry...it's possible, perhaps one day he might tell us.

Ahem...as "someone in the industry", you of all people should understand who the target demographic is. My friend has a 6 year old son who is obsessed with Mario, and clearly he didn't exist when these original games came out. He LOST HIS MIND when he saw the reveal for this. That's really who this game is for...kids who never got to play them...kids who don't know anything about emulation, computers, etc. They just want to turn on their Switch and play some Mario games they never got to play. It's also for nostalgic Switch owners who don't have their N64, Gamecube or Wii anymore & want to play these game again. Only the tech-obsessed "industry" people will look at this collection as "embarrassing". Meanwhile, Nintendo is printing money. Can't wait to play it when my cartridge arrives tomorrow!

#3480 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I wonder if Darscot is in the industry...it's possible, perhaps one day he might tell us.
Ahem...as "someone in the industry", you of all people should understand who the target demographic is. My friend has a 6 year old son who is obsessed with Mario, and clearly he didn't exist when these original games came out. He LOST HIS MIND when he saw the reveal for this. That's really who this game is for...kids who never got to play them...kids who don't know anything about emulation, computers, etc. They just want to turn on their Switch and play some Mario games they never got to play. It's also for nostalgic Switch owners who don't have their N64, Gamecube or Wii anymore & want to play these game again. Only the tech-obsessed "industry" people will look at this collection as "embarrassing". Meanwhile, Nintendo is printing money. Can't wait to play it when my cartridge arrives tomorrow!

I'm fully aware of the demographic, I'm not saying its not great to have these games on switch. My point is I work in the industry (if you believe that or not is of no consequence to me), video games put food on the table. I can't play the absolutely fantastic Mario 64 port on switch that is based on a leak/hack of the source. I'll buy the legit version from Nintendo and just be disappointed with how terrible it is. It's a sad state of affairs when amateur fans are releasing better versions of your games on your hardware with a budget of zero.

The texture pack around 1:47 is so sweet.

#3481 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I really do not understand this view and others who have complained about Nintendo not "remaking" these games. The point is to play the game as it was. It's bringing these games to people who either played them a long time ago and want to revisit or others who have not played them. If you want to play a redone Mario 64 play the one that went to the DS. I still have these games from when they first came out. I bought 3D Allstarts for I want access to all 3 of them on my switch. I want the games as is. Not redone.

#3482 3 years ago

I really do not understand this view and others who have complained about Nintendo not "remaking" these games. The point is to play the game as it was. It's bringing these games to people who either played them a long time ago and want to revisit or others who have not played them. If you want to play a redone Mario 64 play the one that went to the DS. I still have these games from when they first came out. I bought 3D Allstarts for I want access to all 3 of them on my switch. I want the games as is. Not redone.

Why not both? If I want to play the original I can dust off my N64 I even have an old CRT it is not actually 4x3 though. Is it really too much to ask that they give us the option of widescreen? I'm not asking for a full remake but it would be sweet, just the bare minimum is all I ask.

#3483 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

My point is I work in the industry (if you believe that or not is of no consequence to me)

I never said I didn’t believe you. I believe you because you tell us 40 times a day.

My point was, sometimes people in the industry are too close to their own workflow, work goals, pipeline & office culture ...just cuz you’re “in the biz” doesn’t mean you understand Nintendo’s biz decisions.

#3484 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I never said I didn’t believe you. I believe you because you tell us 40 times a day.
My point was, sometimes people in the industry are too close to their own workflow, work goals, pipeline & office culture ...just cuz you’re “in the biz” doesn’t mean you understand Nintendo’s biz decisions.

Dude you clearly have an issue with me, just put me on ignore.

#3485 3 years ago

Oooh! Will of the Wisps is coming for Switch. I bought it for PC and used my PS4 controller to play it because they A: wouldn't say whether a Switch port was coming and B: I didn't want to wait.

I highly recommend both the original as well as the sequel.

#3486 3 years ago

Listen, that Mario pack is what it is, a $60 money grab from people desperate for content. Nothing more. They'll make some enhanced version down the road I'm sure. For what it's worth, most of the feedback on gaming forums I've seen on the pack isn't great, so it's not just Darscot.

#3487 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Dude you clearly have an issue with me, just put me on ignore.

Lol sure, it’s just me. But nah, it takes a special kind of evil for me to ignore someone. We’re just lightly butting heads about nerdy game shit. It’s all good.

Quoted from taylor34:

Listen, that Mario pack is what it is, a $60 money grab from people desperate for content. Nothing more. They'll make some enhanced version down the road I'm sure. For what it's worth, most of the feedback on gaming forums I've seen on the pack isn't great, so it's not just Darscot.

Do I wish 64 & Sunshine were 60fps? Yes. Do I wish they were all heavily remastered using the Odyssey engine? Yes. Do I wish it had Galaxy 2? Yes.

Will I still enjoy the F out of it because these are great games & great games are forever? Yes.

#3488 3 years ago

I completely forgot that sunshine took advantage of the analogue triggers on the original gamecube controllers for controlling how much pressure to use when shooting the water cannon. it's kind of a shame that the switch port suffers in that regard.

#3489 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I completely forgot that sunshine took advantage of the analogue triggers on the original gamecube controllers for controlling how much pressure to use when shooting the water cannon. it's kind of a shame that the switch port suffers in that regard.

Sunshine was a really hard game to play even on the GameCube controller. I beat it, but I don’t think it’s really that great of a game. I think galaxy was a much better game overall.

Sounds like a 4K switch is coming out here sometime too. I’m actually surprised as I don’t think their core audience cares about that at all, that’s more of a pc/Xbox/PlayStation thing.

#3490 3 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Sunshine was a really hard game to play even on the GameCube controller. I beat it, but I don’t think it’s really that great of a game. I think galaxy was a much better game overall.
Sounds like a 4K switch is coming out here sometime too. I’m actually surprised as I don’t think their core audience cares about that at all, that’s more of a pc/Xbox/PlayStation thing.

I haven't played sunshine much but did play galaxy 1/2 a lot. I think Galaxy is just easier and smoother? where sunshine is just unique and cool with nostalgic blinders on. I'm sad galaxy 2 was not put in, it would not of been a huge stretch however I bet they sell it separate for a chunk of change.

I don't care for a 4k switch, but my daughter is sort of getting into video games now and I wouldn't mind having her use the normal switch if I got a Pro...however she may be better off with a lite with a nerf case

#3491 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I haven't played sunshine much but did play galaxy 1/2 a lot. I think Galaxy is just easier and smoother? where sunshine is just unique and cool with nostalgic blinders on. I'm sad galaxy 2 was not put in, it would not of been a huge stretch however I bet they sell it separate for a chunk of change.
I don't care for a 4k switch, but my daughter is sort of getting into video games now and I wouldn't mind having her use the normal switch if I got a Pro...however she may be better off with a lite with a nerf case

Sunshine is known for being one of the hardest Marios ever, and Galaxy dialed it back a bit to be a bit more friendly. Galaxy also runs at 60fps, so it is smoother.

As far as a 4K Switch, I wonder if they could just put that power in a new dock, so you could still use your normal Switch & turbo boost it. I don’t think anyone cares about 4K in portable mode.

#3492 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Why not both? If I want to play the original I can dust off my N64 I even have an old CRT it is not actually 4x3 though. Is it really too much to ask that they give us the option of widescreen? I'm not asking for a full remake but it would be sweet, just the bare minimum is all I ask.

I think that the majority of people just dont care. I am one of those people. I played them on N64 back in the day. And having it now on switch is awesome and i could care less if they polished it or not.

I just want to be able to play the game again regardless of how it looks.

#3493 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I think that the majority of people just dont care. I am one of those people. I played them on N64 back in the day. And having it now on switch is awesome and i could care less if they polished it or not.
I just want to be able to play the game again regardless of how it looks.

For real. Its bonkers to me that people are expecting Mario 64 to be redone. I can guarantee you if they redid Mario 64 and made it look like Odyssey people would just say "you know I would rather just play Odyssey". Mario 64 is a great game but its great for what it was at the time. Its meant to be played how it was played and looked.

#3494 3 years ago

For those of you looking for an awesome rogue like with tons of depth and replayability, Hades releases yesterday and is on sale for 20 (full price will be 25). Same people that made Bastion and Transistor. I played it for about 30 mins last night and I can see myself dumping a ton of hours into it over the next few weeks.

#3495 3 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

For those of you looking for an awesome rogue like with tons of depth and replayability, Hades releases yesterday and is on sale for 20 (full price will be 25). Same people that made Bastion and Transistor. I played it for about 30 mins last night and I can see myself dumping a ton of hours into it over the next few weeks.

I'm about to pick it up. Also, Dragon Ball Z Fighters is $9.59 today

#3496 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

Oh I forgot about that.. wouldn't that pretty much break the game?

#3497 3 years ago

For real. Its bonkers to me that people are expecting Mario 64 to be redone. I can guarantee you if they redid Mario 64 and made it look like Odyssey people would just say "you know I would rather just play Odyssey". Mario 64 is a great game but its great for what it was at the time. Its meant to be played how it was played and looked.

Did you even look at the video I posted. It has been remade it has the Odyssey player model and people are loving it. Sadly Nintendo has unleashed their legal team to try and stop it. You can’t stop the internet. The people have already spoken so fans gave them what they wanted. If your a fan of the original do yourself a favour and check it out. Your guarantee about what would happen is false this already did happened. This is not a hypothetical you can’t speculate what would happen.

#3498 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Did you even look at the video I posted. It has been remade it has the Odyssey player model and people are loving it. Sadly Nintendo has unleashed their legal team to try and stop it. You can’t stop the internet. The people have already spoken so fans gave them what they wanted. If your a fan of the original do yourself a favour and check it out. Your guarantee about what would happen is false this already did happened. This is not a hypothetical you can’t speculate what would happen.

I did not and I apologize. I will give it a view..........Ok I gave it a view. It is cool. No doubt and I am sure fans would love it but seriously why would Nintendo care to put resources on this and other games? These are also super fans who have probably already played 64 a 1,000 times so of course something that looks newer will be in their favor. I'm in the camp of leaving them alone. It's art and should stay like it was. Just port it so new fans and old fans (who haven't played it to death) can enjoy them again as it was. If you want a game that plays beautifully and looks amazing play Odyssey. Take nostalgia away and 64 doesn't even stand close to Odyssey. I would love for Galaxy to get remade in Odyssey style graphics but it just doesn't make sense to have Nintendo spend the time and resources to do it. I would rather them spend that effort on making Galaxy 3....which would be awesome if that is the next Mario. Where do you go from Odyssey? Hard to say. I would think the next Generation of Nintendo they will still be making 2d and 3d Mario games but eventually they will have to start experimenting with VR. Can't wait for that.

#3499 3 years ago

I've never played any of these re-released Mario titles the first time around. I didn't have any of the Nintendo systems between NES and Wii. Do they have two player cooperative mode? If not, I'll just stick with Odyssey (I do not consider playing the hat a two player option).

#3500 3 years ago

So I will play the "works in the industry" card and then drop the Ace with I actually worked at Nintendo for quite sometime so I will provide a little insight without breaking my NDA.

1) Nintendo focuses on new experiences, not updating the past games to bring them up to current graphical standards. When that was done for Super Mario 1, 2 and 3 in the SNES All Stars cart, the majority of feedback received was that players preferred the original graphics they remembered so fondly.

2) Nintendo is now a nostalgia company and creates new ways to increase your nostalgia for their products. In contrast Disney is currently in the process of destroying the nostalgia they relied on for years with their remaking Lion King, Aladdin, Mulan etc.

3) Nintendo voraciously protects all its IP, as would you if you had billion dollar franchises. Some fans decided it would be cool to do a Super Mario 64 remake, and yes it is neat. But Nintendo 100% did the correct thing in shutting it down.

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/page/70?hl=wolffcub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.