q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg
There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 89.
#251 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Oh, see, I still only have the 2 it came with. I didn't know you could DO that. I needed to buy an extra set for Bomberman anyways, so there's another reason! That makes WAY more sense LMFAO.

do you have a pro controller yet..I'd recommend that over a 2nd set of joycons, UNLESS you are going to do the 1-2 switch stuff a lot.

EDIT:
OMG people are playing mario with 1 joycon....no wonder someone didn't like it, THAT WOULD BE HORRIBLE

#252 6 years ago

Just saw that they are working on a new Mario movie (probably several years away at this point) - hopefully that means a Mario pinball machine!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/nintendo-is-finally-making-another-super-mario-bros-mo-1820435189

BTW - love Odyssey and my Switch. I think Odyssey is a 10/10 game, but I still think Zelda BOTW is game of the year. What a killer year for Nintendo fans!

#253 6 years ago

This absolutely killed me: https://twitter.com/RelaxAlax/status/929595893333901312

Oh, and the game is fantastic. It's pure joy to play.

#254 6 years ago

I don't have a pro controller. And I wouldn't buy one over 2 extra Joycons because that still leaves us with someone sitting out for 4-player bomberman. I mean, really...honestly...I kinda feel like they should've been able to have wiimotes be compatible with the stupid thing or sell an adapter. THAT is my only whinge about the system itself.

#255 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I don't have a pro controller. And I wouldn't buy one over 2 extra Joycons because that still leaves us with someone sitting out for 4-player bomberman. I mean, really...honestly...I kinda feel like they should've been able to have wiimotes be compatible with the stupid thing or sell an adapter. THAT is my only whinge about the system itself.

Because Wii Remotes require an IR sensor to work. The Pro Controller is fantastic though, pick one up at some point.

#256 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Because Wii Remotes require an IR sensor to work. The Pro Controller is fantastic though, pick one up at some point.

"require" is a dubious word. Certainly didn't "require" one when I held it sideways to play VC games, and there's no technical reason the nunchuck itself needs the IR camera. Might get real janky for them having to fix certain sections of the game to work well, specifically things that might've been handled with the IR bar (reticles onscreen)

There's nothing in the JoyCons that would need the IR that a wiimote can't already do aside from HD rumble. Might not be as precise as the gyros in a Joycon, but wiimotes did have accelerometers for things like flick/shake detection.

*edit* I guess I should've been more specific. I only wanted to use a wiimote really as a sideways Joycon functions, not as a full replacement for Joycons.

#257 6 years ago

Because the switch is a new experience with HDrumble etc. Wiimotes would not allow the full switch experience. ANd hey you got to use wiimotes on 2 consoles plus a pc...that is pretty good, NO other (recent, ps1/ps2) console allowed controllers from their older unit to the new one.

#258 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

"require" is a dubious word. Certainly didn't "require" one when I held it sideways to play VC games, and there's no technical reason the nunchuck itself needs the IR camera. Might get real janky for them having to fix certain sections of the game to work well, specifically things that might've been handled with the IR bar (reticles onscreen)
There's nothing in the JoyCons that would need the IR that a wiimote can't already do aside from HD rumble. Might not be as precise as the gyros in a Joycon, but wiimotes did have accelerometers for things like flick/shake detection.
*edit* I guess I should've been more specific. I only wanted to use a wiimote really as a sideways Joycon functions, not as a full replacement for Joycons.

One of the reasons Wii U was such a flop is that customers didn't understand it was a whole new console/experience....so, it makes sense that Switch wouldn't have any compatibility with Wii or Wii U peripherals. They want to make it clear that this is 100% it's own thing....and so far that has worked!

#259 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Because the switch is a new experience with HDrumble etc. Wiimotes would not allow the full switch experience. ANd hey you got to use wiimotes on 2 consoles plus a pc...that is pretty good, NO other (recent, ps1/ps2) console allowed controllers from their older unit to the new one.

lulwut....

I use the 360 controller on my PC. I never use a wiimote on the pc (Yeah, I know it's bluetooth, but who gives a f...)

I mean...is Ninty selling replacement battery packs for Joycons yet? No? Then as far as I'm concerned, the Wiimote is a more viable longterm product. Battery wear is real, and things without user-replaceable batteries SUCK. Joycons did everything else right, but ultimately, they're going to be just as usefully limited as PS4 controllers are, and that's garbage.....especially for dingy games that won't really make use of rumble.

I don't give two craps about 'the full experience' past playing a game for the very first time. Beyond that...just working is fine with me. Which reminds me. I need to hook up my Gamecube adapter and see if I can use GC controllers on Bomberman LOL.

Arguing that because something is the norm, that's the way things should be is......well....dumb.

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

NO other (recent, ps1/ps2) console allowed controllers from their older unit to the new one.

No other console had me purchasing so many freakin' different options! That's a gripe of mine with Nintendo that's going to carry forward into Switch: too many controller options

I shouldn't complain, though. Switch is super well priced for what it is and comes with the possibility for 2-player gameplay right out of the box.

Heck, it's dumb that I'll plop down $400 for a mere piece of a pinball machine, but a whole console experience with a few games for that same price and I'm left hesitant to spend more on extras!

#261 6 years ago

It's because the pinball machine actually has labor and manufacturing that's ridiculous and niche involved. Nintendo and Sony produce millions of controllers a year and sell them like they're freakin' unobtanium.

#262 6 years ago

Another vote for the pro controller. Probably the most comfortable controller I have ever used. I even prefer it to the Xbone.

#263 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

lulwut....
I use the 360 controller on my PC. I never use a wiimote on the pc (Yeah, I know it's bluetooth, but who gives a f...)
I mean...is Ninty selling replacement battery packs for Joycons yet? No? Then as far as I'm concerned, the Wiimote is a more viable longterm product. Battery wear is real, and things without user-replaceable batteries SUCK. Joycons did everything else right, but ultimately, they're going to be just as usefully limited as PS4 controllers are, and that's garbage.....especially for dingy games that won't really make use of rumble.
I don't give two craps about 'the full experience' past playing a game for the very first time. Beyond that...just working is fine with me. Which reminds me. I need to hook up my Gamecube adapter and see if I can use GC controllers on Bomberman LOL.
Arguing that because something is the norm, that's the way things should be is......well....dumb.

Battery replacement for the joycon doesn't seem that bad. Once opened they are actually pretty easy to work on.

You know....they don't cater to us DIY, cheap folk that like to resuse things Also Nintendo is a Japanese company...they work very differently then say Xbox/us. They provide you the way they WANT you play/experience, you have to go their way or nothing. All the gaming companies make us buy crap for every console and charge 60 for controllers etc...but we keep paying Hey I saw target may of had some joycon sets on clearance....maybe a fluke though.

Quoted from winteriscoming:

No other console had me purchasing so many freakin' different options! That's a gripe of mine with Nintendo that's going to carry forward into Switch: too many controller options
I shouldn't complain, though. Switch is super well priced for what it is and comes with the possibility for 2-player gameplay right out of the box.
Heck, it's dumb that I'll plop down $400 for a mere piece of a pinball machine, but a whole console experience with a few games for that same price and I'm left hesitant to spend more on extras!

did you get all the colored joycons? those stupid things have me wanting all the colors. :-p Neon yellow looks sooooo goooooood

#264 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

did you get all the colored joycons? those stupid things have me wanting all the colors. :-p Neon yellow looks sooooo goooooood

I've got the neon red/blue, neon green/pink, and neon yellow! Mixing color combos is fun!

#265 6 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Anyone else enjoying the music as much as I am?
» YouTube video

I don't know how much you are, but yes I'm enjoying it a lot. I can't imagine that any other company puts as much effort into their games music.

#266 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I haven't looked into the other colors. I specifically buy the switch with blue and red, passing on the Mario bundle since it just had red.

Ugh... but once you have more than 2 joycons, how do you keep all this stuff charged?

#267 6 years ago

It's just a USB C cable you can charge it in the wall with a USB charger for your phone if you like. I try to keep one charging from the system at all times and charge the other one in the wall if need be. But I mostly play alone.

#268 6 years ago

I'm enjoying the game so far, I am surprised that it has 97% on metacritic though. It's a good game, but lets be real here...its production value as far as voice acting, etc, is about the level of a game made 15 years ago, still no online play, etc. Same thing for Zelda, it was like 97% too but I thought the Witcher 3 was a much better game in almost all aspects (story, visuals, combat, etc). I'm not sure why Nintendo gets a free pass on some of that stuff, if someone else came out with the exact same game under a different brand with basically no story or voice acting, it would get a 7 probably.

#269 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I'm enjoying the game so far, I am surprised that it has 97% on metacritic though. It's a good game, but lets be real here...its production value as far as voice acting, etc, is about the level of a game made 15 years ago, still no online play, etc. Same thing for Zelda, it was like 97% too but I thought the Witcher 3 was a much better game in almost all aspects (story, visuals, combat, etc). I'm not sure why Nintendo gets a free pass on some of that stuff, if someone else came out with the exact same game under a different brand with basically no story or voice acting, it would get a 7 probably.

That's their "style". It makes the player feel more like they ARE the character, rather than a passive part of the experience. I love that they make games this way. Games with tons of cut scenes and voice acting honestly bore the shit out of me. Gameplay is constantly interrupted. Nintendo games have more flow, more whimsey, more charm. Their games are highly reviewed because they're pure gameplay and unapologetic VIDEO GAMES.

#270 6 years ago

I haven't looked into the other colors. I specifically buy the switch with blue and red, passing on the Mario bundle since it just had red.
Ugh... but once you have more than 2 joycons, how do you keep all this stuff charged?

Quoted from V_piscopo:

It's just a USB C cable you can charge it in the wall with a USB charger for your phone if you like. I try to keep one charging from the system at all times and charge the other one in the wall if need be. But I mostly play alone.

Yeah you have to swap them onto the switch while docked OR get a joycon charging dock.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/powera-joy-con-charging-dock-for-nintendo-switch-black/5729904.p?skuId=5729904&cmp=RMX&extStoreId=43&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=1f44c0eb-2105-4e0e-a63e-08698c673e19&ksprof_id=15&ksaffcode=pg236067&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

I guess amazon even has charging hand grip things
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J8BP7K/ref=asc_df_B071J8BP7K5266686/

However....BE WARNED, the non licensed docks for the switch have been breaking switches. So you are taking a big chance with non licensed things dealing with power on this console.

#271 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

What the heck would you want online play for with Mario?

There are a few companies that consistently score high marks on their core franchises. Companies like Nintendo and Blizzard start with gameplay and perfect that first. Everything else is viewed as peripheral. You'll never find a platformer that controls better than Mario does. Ever. It's the outright gold standard for the genre. Usually the same goes for level design. For Zelda, find me an open world that feels even half as compelling to explore. It's not out there. There's a reason why there were scores of articles about how Zelda ruined traditional open world gaming for many people. They totally raised the bar on what the expect in a world. They made a true sandbox that is as focused or as open as you want it to be, but it never lags or drags along.

The Witcher 3 was a great game, but it lacked the polish to match its ambition. And man, that game can really drag through sections. The pacing isn't nearly as even as it could be.

#272 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

What the heck would you want online play for with Mario?
There are a few companies that consistently score high marks on their core franchises. Companies like Nintendo and Blizzard start with gameplay and perfect that first. Everything else is viewed as peripheral. You'll never find a platformer that controls better than Mario does. Ever. It's the outright gold standard for the genre. Usually the same goes for level design. For Zelda, find me an open world that feels even half as compelling to explore. It's not out there. There's a reason why there were scores of articles about how Zelda ruined traditional open world gaming for many people. They totally raised the bar on what the expect in a world. They made a true sandbox that is as focused or as open as you want it to be, but it never lags or drags along.
The Witcher 3 was a great game, but it lacked the polish to match its ambition. And man, that game can really drag through sections. The pacing isn't nearly as even as it could be.

Let me state, I didn't play Zelda as a kid, so I have no nostalgia for it like a lot of people. I'm not sure how it ruined open world gaming for people. Zelda is a great game if:

you want little direction to do anything
you want to wander around aimlessly searching for things
you want to solve a ton of puzzles

Compared to the Witcher 3 though (or even something like Horizon Zero Dawn, which is also awesome),

story is 100x better in the Witcher and Horizon
sidequests are better
you can wander anywhere just like zelda except for the climbing thing
Horizon had better combat than the other two
obviously the graphics are better on Witcher 3 and Horizon

I just can't figure out what Zelda offers that makes it better than those games except for there were unique solutions to some puzzles. Maybe I just don't care about that. But I can say that I easily had 10x more fun in those other two games than Zelda, Zelda I felt like I was just running around aimlessly looking for shrines, trying to find weapons to replace mine that would break constantly, etc. Maybe it's because I'm older and like games to give some sort of guidance rather than 'do whatever you want, good luck'. Probably the same reason I can't play minecraft, I don't 'get it', lol.

#273 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Let me state, I didn't play Zelda as a kid, so I have no nostalgia for it like a lot of people.

That's a shame, you missed out on a phenomenal series. It's not just about nostalgia, they're mostly amazing games. Link to the Past on SNES is still one of my all time favorites and often seen on best game lists.

Quoted from taylor34:

I just can't figure out what Zelda offers that makes it better than those games.

Art direction, animation, music, freedom, pure joy, I dunno lol

You seem like a PC/PS4/realism gamer...it's possible Nintendo's charm is lost on you.

#274 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's a shame, you missed out on a phenomenal series. It's not just about nostalgia, they're mostly amazing games. Link to the Past on SNES is still one of my all time favorites and often seen on best game lists.

Art direction, animation, music, freedom, pure joy, I dunno lol
You seem like a PC/PS4/realism gamer...it's possible Nintendo's charm is lost on you.

It might be lost on me. I've been playing games since the Apple II days, and really like RPG's like Baldur's Gate II, KOTOR, Mass Effect, Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Divinity, etc. so I think I've gotten so used to games with stories that when they don't have one I just have a hard time staying motivated to play it. It's like asking me to watch a 100 hour movie where I know the ending with almost no voice acting, at least with the other games I didn't really know what was going to happen so there was this anticipation of story to keep me going. Finding a shrine for the sake of finding a shrine isn't super motivating, especially when you about fall asleep trying to run around finding them, lol.

#275 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

It might be lost on me. I've been playing games since the Apple II days, and really like RPG's like Baldur's Gate II, KOTOR, Mass Effect, Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Divinity, etc. so I think I've gotten so used to games with stories that when they don't have one I just have a hard time staying motivated to play it. It's like asking me to watch a 100 hour movie where I know the ending with almost no voice acting, at least with the other games I didn't really know what was going to happen so there was this anticipation of story to keep me going. Finding a shrine for the sake of finding a shrine isn't super motivating, especially when you about fall asleep trying to run around finding them, lol.

I just think maybe it isn't for you. I personally think BotW was one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had and I have been playing since the Apple II days as well

#276 6 years ago

anyone else get rocket league for switch?

I never played it on ps4 since i don't have PSPlus but damn that game is fun. ]

I suck but I'm getting the hang of it, I did get back to back goals last night. I was pumping my fist like an idiot last night, almost like if i really did something meaningful, glad my wife had work early and was already asleep.

the game does take me back to Excitebike 64's Soccer mode. What a underrated game when it came out... not sure if its aged well at all.

#277 6 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

anyone else get rocket league for switch?
I never played it on ps4 since i don't have PSPlus but damn that game is fun. ]
I suck but I'm getting the hang of it, I did get back to back goals last night. I was pumping my fist like an idiot last night, almost like if i really did something meaningful, glad my wife had work early and was already asleep.
the game does take me back to Excitebike 64's Soccer mode. What a underrated game when it came out... not sure if its aged well at all.

I'm going to snag RL, but I think i'll wait until after xmas to see if I get it as a kid. I just got doom and need to calm down with the number of games I keep buying

EDIT: see, and now Worms WMD comes out Nov 27!!!

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

See, I'm the opposite. Those brown/drab computer style games with realistic boring/creepy character designs and hours of blabbing away bore the everliving shit out of me. Nintendo's games bring you into living worlds of color, beautiful music, rewarding design and fun exploration. It's pure art & zen for me. I always hated computer games, but loved console games.

Zelda's brilliant because you can play it any way you want. Don't wanna do shrines? Go right to Gannon and try to kill him! Solving the shrines allows you to level up your stamina & life, which allows you to live longer and explore more.

#279 6 years ago

Def gonna score worms. We will battle! I'm a roper

#280 6 years ago

I’m hearing Rocket league has some great online play with friends (menu and function wise)

#281 6 years ago

This thread reminded me to show my 9yr old daughter the switch online. 2 hours on YouTube later it’s #1 on her Xmas list now. Gonna have to buy me one too.

She is most interested in Zelda so far.

#282 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I’m hearing Rocket league has some great online play with friends (menu and function wise)

Yup, just got done playing some online with TSSKINNE and it works great.

#283 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've got the neon red/blue, neon green/pink, and neon yellow! Mixing color combos is fun!

No one is interested in ur underwear.

#284 6 years ago
Quoted from peaceboy666:

8/10.def not 10/10 game

Quoted from jayhawkai:

Hard to find fault with that well-reasoned argument.

Not COD
1/10

#285 6 years ago

Decided I didn't care, enjoy ur games.

#286 6 years ago

Any indie game recommendations?

I started playing Flame in the Flood and it's interesting. It's a survival game where you and your dog ride a raft down a river, making stops along the way to get supplies. Readily available water is polluted and food is in short supply. So far I've died of starvation several times and I've even been gored to death by a wild pig... .

#287 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

For Zelda, find me an open world that feels even half as compelling to explore. It's not out there.

It WAS out there...it was called Asheron's Call. It was online for 9 years, shut down right before TPF in March. You missed an amazing boat. Maybe someday there will be another game that has enough depth to claim *3 full months of ACTUAL PLAYTIME* from me, but I doubt it.

Quoted from taylor34:

running around aimlessly looking for shrines, trying to find weapons to replace mine that would break constantly

Weapon breakage in Zelda is absolute dog-turd level trolling by Nintendo. Even if the durability of weapons was doubled, it still would've been annoying, but not insanely so. What kind of retarded monsters and thieves carry around weapons that break after 5 hits? The game desperately needed some kind of forging system to create more durable weapons.

#288 6 years ago

Any indie game recommendations?
I started playing Flame in the Flood and it's interesting. It's a survival game where you and your dog ride a raft down a river, making stops along the way to get supplies. Readily available water is polluted and food is in short supply. So far I've died of starvation several times and I've even been gored to death by a wild pig... .

Tumbleseed is like Ice Cold Beer on acid. Overcooked is hilarious if you play multiplayer. Shovel Knight is 8-bit throwback platforming perfection. Snake Pass is a good twist on platforming with a unique control mechanic. Stardew Valley will consume your life if you are into Animal Crossing / Harvest Moon type "life" games. Fast RMX will scratch the itch for a new F-Zero. Infinite Mini-golf is pretty cool...kind of a mini-golf Mario Maker with some cool level styles (the haunted levels are as close to Nightmare Before Christmas as possible without getting sued). I haven't played Steamworld Dig 2 yet, but heard it's awesome. Lots of others I haven't played but hear great things about...Golf Story, Hollow Knight, Mr Shifty, Binding of Isaac, Axiom Verge (I really need to play this...it's basically old school Metroid), etc. So many great indies out already...I need more gaming time!

#289 6 years ago

Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap is on sale now if you don't have it! Absolutely GORGEOUS remake of the cult classic Sega Master System game. Beautiful hand drawn animation, painted backgrounds, and real live recorded music. You can even toggle the graphics and/or music from 8-bit to remake live as you play. It even has various CRT & and FM audio option. They covered their bases. A must have for retro game lovers.

#290 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Weapon breakage in Zelda is absolute dog-turd level trolling by Nintendo. Even if the durability of weapons was doubled, it still would've been annoying, but not insanely so. What kind of retarded monsters and thieves carry around weapons that break after 5 hits? The game desperately needed some kind of forging system to create more durable weapons.

I really liked that aspect of the game. It added a whole strategy as far as what weapons to hold, how to spend your seeds to increase your storage capabilities, etc. It also makes sense that a stick is not as durable as forged sword.

#291 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Yup, just got done playing some online with TSSKINNE and it works great.

Yeah we sucked pretty bad but it was still a blast, I played a few more games as soon as I got home last night on it, love the short matches so when I've just got a few minutes in between the day to day I can squeeze in some fun. Only had my Switch a week now but I have been super impressed. Spent more time playing it this week than I have played my xbox one S in the last year. Also, love the thought of being able to bring it with me to shows and tournaments to pass the downtime.

#292 6 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

I really liked that aspect of the game. It added a whole strategy as far as what weapons to hold, how to spend your seeds to increase your storage capabilities, etc. It also makes sense that a stick is not as durable as forged sword.

It made sense that a stick would break and maybe some other wooden items. Metal swords constantly breaking is not realistic nor enjoyable. Maybe getting dull sure. There's a reason why almost everyone abandoned that concept long ago, it's super annoying, lol. The Witcher's system was also super annoying with your swords getting dull but at least it was realistic.

Going back to the comments above that it's probably not for me, it's probably that I don't like open world games that don't have a story (or have a mediocre story). Hence why I don't really like GTA5 either but loved Red Dead Redemption. Also, I think critics and users are sometimes not in the same ballpark as far as reviews go. So like on Metacritic:

Critic score:
BOTW 97%
Horizon 89%
Witcher 3 92%

User reviews:
BOTW 84%
Horizon 83%
Witcher 3 92%

The user reviews mirror more of what I feel except for I'd have horizon higher. For me, being from Nintendo does not equal 'free pass' on lack of story and other things standard in 2017 because I wouldn't cut any other game slack for it. Maybe I've played way too many games too, my xbox gamerscore is like almost 50,000.

#293 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

It made sense that a stick would break and maybe some other wooden items. Metal swords constantly breaking is not realistic nor enjoyable. Maybe getting dull sure. There's a reason why almost everyone abandoned that concept long ago, it's super annoying, lol. The Witcher's system was also super annoying with your swords getting dull but at least it was realistic.
Going back to the comments above that it's probably not for me, it's probably that I don't like open world games that don't have a story (or have a mediocre story). Hence why I don't really like GTA5 either but loved Red Dead Redemption. Also, I think critics and users are sometimes not in the same ballpark as far as reviews go. So like on Metacritic:
Critic score:
BOTW 97%
Horizon 89%
Witcher 3 92%
User reviews:
BOTW 84%
Horizon 83%
Witcher 3 92%
The user reviews mirror more of what I feel except for I'd have horizon higher. For me, being from Nintendo does not equal 'free pass' on lack of story and other things standard in 2017 because I wouldn't cut any other game slack for it. Maybe I've played way too many games too, my xbox gamerscore is like almost 50,000.

I just don't think you like Nintendo. Sell your Switch. Play all the newest "Mocap Mannequins In Realism Land" games on the other consoles. I'll continue to enjoy this brilliant art and gameplay Nintendo is killing it with.

Also - SPLATFEST STARTS TONIGHT!!!!!

#294 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Critic score:
BOTW 97%
Horizon 89%
Witcher 3 92%
User reviews:
BOTW 84%
Horizon 83%
Witcher 3 92%

I don't think there are any right or wrong answers. The scores sometimes annoy me too and I get why you could feel like there is a bias. Witcher 3 looks cool as hell though. I think I'm going to get it.

#295 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I just don't think you like Nintendo. Sell your Switch. Play all the newest "Mocap Mannequins In Realism Land" games on the other consoles. I'll continue to enjoy this brilliant art and gameplay Nintendo is killing it with.
Also - SPLATFEST STARTS TONIGHT!!!!!

I've owned the gamecube, wii, wii u, and bought the switch day one...yep, don't like Nintendo. But I also own dreamcast, ps2, ps3, ps4, ps4 pro, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one, xbox one x. I just don't cut them a free pass on things like lame online play setup, just because "it's Nintendo" doesn't mean they should absent of criticism. I also feel like maybe you haven't played any of the newer RPG's of the past 5 years so maybe you don't understand my perspective?

#296 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I also feel like maybe you haven't played any of the newer RPG's of the past 5 years so maybe you don't understand my perspective?

I don't play RPG's period cuz I hate turn based gameplay & long boring stories.

Zelda's never been an RPG, it's always been an action/adventure/puzzle/quest....maybe that's what's not connecting? Expectations that don't match what you thought it was supposed to be?

Quoted from taylor34:

I just don't cut them a free pass on things like lame online play setup, just because "it's Nintendo" doesn't mean they should absent of criticism.

All I know it's their games are fun as fuck, and the things PC/PS4 gamers complain about have never bothered me. My DS, 3DS, and Wii U have had online play that works perfectly for me....and I'm playing online ARMS and Splatoon 2 on Switch all the time and it's awesome. So, they do get a pass, cuz they make the only stuff I want to play.

Quoted from taylor34:

User reviews:
BOTW 84%
Horizon 83%
Witcher 3 92%

My reviews:
BOTW: 80,000,000,000,000% One of the most amazing games I've ever played & the Zelda I've put the most hours into (175 hrs so far), and I'd totally play through the entire thing again
Horizon: The robot monsters look cool, but those creepy mannequin humans ugh
Witcher: WTF is a Witcher?

#297 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

All I know it's their games are fun as fuck, and the things PC/PS4 gamers complain about have never bothered me. My DS, 3DS, and Wii U have had online play that works perfectly for me....and I'm playing online ARMS and Splatoon 2 on Switch all the time and it's awesome. So, they do get a pass, cuz they make the only stuff I want to play.

Do you not have any friends you want to play with online and like talk with them? Because the Switch is awful for that, lol. That's what I'm talking about as far as lackluster online play. No achievements, no coherent network, no integrated voice chat, etc. I like their games like Splatoon 2 online but it would be a lot better if friend integration was better. I mean it's not even at the level of the original xbox from 2002, lol.

Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't play RPG's period cuz I hate turn based gameplay & long boring stories.
Zelda's never been an RPG, it's always been an action/adventure/puzzle/quest....maybe that's what's not connecting? Expectations that don't match what you thought it was supposed to be?

My reviews:
BOTW: 80,000,000,000,000% One of the most amazing games I've ever played & the Zelda I've put the most hours into (175 hrs so far), and I'd totally play through the entire thing again
Horizon: The robot monsters look cool, but those creepy mannequin humans ugh
Witcher: WTF is a Witcher?

Turn based RPG? When was the last time you played a modern RPG? I can't even think of a major turn based AAA one on the Xbox One/PS4 outside of Divinity and Persona 5. I'm not sure I would classify Zelda that much differently that other modern games, it's in same category as like the new Tomb Raider games and current action RPGs, has elements of those kind of games. Like compared to the Witcher and Horizon:

both have full loadout for inventory
both have crafting/cooking
both have puzzles
both have huge open worlds
both you level up
both have sidequests
both have combat action that relies on strategy more than mashing buttons
Zelda and Horizon have regenerating enemies, which Witcher doesn't have
Witcher and Horizon have a story driven narrative, which zelda doesn't have
both have tons of secrets to discover
zelda is family friendly, Witcher is definitely not, Horizon is somewhere in between.

I mean, they're pretty close overall as far as game category. What was the last non-Nintendo RPG you played? You're describing things from like 20 years ago, lol, as if the last RPG you played was the original Fallout on PC. All the turn based stuff kind of disappeared in the early 2000's (except for jrpg's) until Divinity kind of brought it back recently.

#298 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Do you not have any friends you want to play with online and like talk with them? Because the Switch is awful for that, lol. That's what I'm talking about as far as lackluster online play. No achievements, no coherent network, no integrated voice chat, etc. I like their games like Splatoon 2 online but it would be a lot better if friend integration was better. I mean it's not even at the level of the original xbox from 2002, lol.

The last thing I ever want in gaming is hearing people yelling in my ear. I'm so happy you don't need voice chat to play Splatoon...you can accomplish everything you need from your team in that game by tapping the d-pad to "yell" "THIS WAY!" or whatever.

Achievements are overrated. I don't need the game to tell me I did this or that. I have a PS3 and Xbox 360, those have achievements...I never cared about them at all. The satisfaction of fun gameplay, leveling up, getting new weapons and gear is all I need.

ARMS just added achievement badges, tho...lol

Quoted from taylor34:

Turn based RPG? When was the last time you played a modern RPG? I can't even think of a major turn based AAA one on the Xbox One/PS4 outside of Divinity and Persona 5.

I told you, I don't play RPG's. RPG's = Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, stuff like that. Turn based, lots of talking. ZZZZZZ

Quoted from taylor34:

What was the last non-Nintendo RPG you played? You're describing things from like 20 years ago, lol, as if the last RPG you played was the original Fallout on PC.

We're just speaking different language. I would never play games on a PC and don't know what Fallout is. They still make turn based RPG's today....I don't play them because I never liked the genre.

Quoted from taylor34:

All the turn based stuff kind of disappeared in the early 2000's (except for jrpg's) until Divinity kind of brought it back recently.

I don't know what Divinity is. Turn based stuff never went away. On Switch there's Disgaea 5, Octopath Traveller, Golf Story, etc. Traditional Japanese style console RPGs. I don't like anything turn based or games with more story than gameplay. OK, this is going back aways- but I remember how I wanted to rip my head off while playing Metal Gear Solid 2....cut scene after cut scene....ZZZZZZZ I never played a Metal Gear game after that.

#299 6 years ago

Getting my 10 year old daughter a Switch for Christmas. Looking for game recommendations? I figured Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart would be the first two games I would buy. Not sure what to get after that? Zelda, or is that too much for a 10 year old?

#300 6 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

Getting my 10 year old daughter a Switch for Christmas. Looking for game recommendations? I figured Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart would be the first two games I would buy. Not sure what to get after that? Zelda, or is that too much for a 10 year old?

Thats what i got for the 11 year old.

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/page/6?hl=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.