q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg
There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 89.
#3301 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The Switch Labo VR is pretty interesting & immersive ...but it KILLS my eyes after about 5 minuted & leaves them feeling stressed. Not sure if it’s a “me” thing or what.

VR definitely takes some getting used to.

#3302 3 years ago
Quoted from kingfishtr:

Bloodstained:Ritual of the Night, Timespinners, and The Messenger are 3 really good Metroidvania type games. Highly recommend all 3.

kingfishtr
If you like Metroidvanias (and I love them) then Outbuddies DX (https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/outbuddies-dx-switch/) just came out on switch and it is excellent... and very much old school metroid like as it doesn't hold your hand very much (with clues for where to go next).

Oddly it has a M rating but I only noticed one swear word right at the start and then nothing objectionable...

#3303 3 years ago

Anyone got any recommendations on a nice 36” tv for strictly Nintendo switch / home console games? Budget $500’ish. Thinking about seeing what Costco has to offer.

EDIT: Is there even 36” tv’s. Looks like its either 32” or 40”

#3305 3 years ago

The Switch is not a graphical powerhouse by any means, any 1080p TV will be more than enough. Unless you have a Sony Pro or Xbox X there is no reason to go 4K. Then again I think everything is 4K these days.

#3306 3 years ago

I picked up New Super Lucky’s Tale, I love the game. Great if you like those old n65 platformers, however like Minecraft dungeons it suffers some slow stutter and long load times.

Not sure if this is a unity engine thing or just not optimized for switch/android.

#3307 3 years ago

I don't think the "QLED" is anything other than clever marketing. Check this site, there are a lot of really good performers for well below your budget in that size:

https://www.rtings.com/

#3308 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I picked up New Super Lucky’s Tale, I love the game. Great if you like those old n65 platformers, however like Minecraft dungeons it suffers some slow stutter and long load times.
Not sure if this is a unity engine thing or just not optimized for switch/android.

I 100%ed this game...really enjoy the Luckys Tales games as they are fun collectathons. I didn’t notice any distracting stutters but load times aren’t fun.

#3309 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

I 100%ed this game...really enjoy the Luckys Tales games as they are fun collectathons. I didn’t notice any distracting stutters but load times aren’t fun.

On switch, right? When I collect a Letter from LUCKY it goes chop. I am playing in handheld at the moment, forgot if it did it docked.

#3310 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

On switch, right? When I collect a Letter from LUCKY it goes chop. I am playing in handheld at the moment, forgot if it did it docked.

Ya Switch....it’s not on the newer systems yet. I never noticed that myself.

4 weeks later
#3311 3 years ago

made some pins for my twitch stream

link holding up a busch light

thought some of you might think it was cool

this threads been dead for a month so consider this its bump!

IMG_20200714_070613_306 (resized).jpgIMG_20200714_070613_306 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200714_070613_315 (resized).jpgIMG_20200714_070613_315 (resized).jpg

#3312 3 years ago

Just bought Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom. Its on sale now. Good game. I needed a break from Dead Cells

#3313 3 years ago

Neon Abyss is a new rougelike that combines the platforming of Dead Cells, the combat and items of Binding of Isaac and the color palette of Enter the Gungeon.

Pretty good stuff. If you have Xbox Gamepass for Xbox or PC, it is included with your subscription to try out.

#3314 3 years ago

This pretty neat little cabinet. Way too expensive but neat.

9AED51DB-FC7F-48F2-8CFC-BB4DD00DE1B5 (resized).png9AED51DB-FC7F-48F2-8CFC-BB4DD00DE1B5 (resized).png
#3315 3 years ago

So will Nintendo be coming out with a new console like Sony and Microsoft? I like my switch but I'm a little underwhelmed by the game selection on it. I was hoping for a lot more old classics, especially arcade classics like Paperboy, BurgeTime, RBI Baseball etc

#3316 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

So will Nintendo be coming out with a new console like Sony and Microsoft? I like my switch but I'm a little underwhelmed by the game selection on it. I was hoping for a lot more old classics, especially arcade classics like Paperboy, BurgeTime, RBI Baseball etc

No. Not a new console. But you can get a modded version of another console and have all those games for free. I have a modded switch with every game on it from most consoles. It’s possible.

#3317 3 years ago
Quoted from kingfishtr:

No. Not a new console. But you can get a modded version of another console and have all those games for free. I have a modded switch with every game on it from most consoles. It’s possible.

That would be pretty cool. I looked for BurgerTime the other day and they had a new BurgerTime game on there but not the original..I want the original and I'd like to see Paperboy and many others also. I do have Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr though, they are pretty fun to play.

#3318 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

just search "arcade archives", "aca neogeo", "sega ages", burger time party. There are tons of arcade games on the switch...... tons.

Not sure why you would spend on a console like sony/microsoft for those games. the only games lacking in selection on the switch are games that are specific to PS4 and XBone - those being graphic intensive FPS or RPGs that use heavy heavy graphics power.

If you want to play arcade classics - get a prebuilt mame cabinet......or buy a raspberry pi and a controller to your liking. Pi and a very good arcade controller gonna be <$100 with any arcade game you want.

arcade archives games

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/06/guide_every_arcade_archives_game_on_nintendo_switch_plus_our_top_picks

#3319 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Its only been out for 3 years and it's still selling like hot cakes. My guess is it will be around for quite some time yet. Even if they try to add a dedicated home console as well with improved processing to capture more of the gaming market share, they will still support the Switch platform as a handheld option like they did with the GB/GBA/GBC/DS.

#3320 3 years ago

Nintendo said the Switch will have a longer generation life than other systems when they launched it. I wouldn't expect to see a Switch successor for at least 2-3 more years, possibly longer.

I could see them releasing a 'NEW' Nintendo Switch like they did with the 3DS at some point to generate some more sales.

#3321 3 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Nintendo said the Switch will have a longer generation life than other systems when they launched it. I wouldn't expect to see a Switch successor for at least 2-3 more years, possibly longer.
I could see them releasing a 'NEW' Nintendo Switch like they did with the 3DS at some point to generate some more sales.

Didn't they already do that with the lite?

#3322 3 years ago

Nintendo create their own path and no one even comes close. there is no competition.IMO
Unique , family , fun with total awesome characters.
not the most powerful or tech heavy. just fun

#3323 3 years ago

I could see a switch 2 in a few years, that plays switch 1 and new games...in reality it would just be a new gen nvideo cpu/gpu.... so not hard to do for their technology path.

#3324 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I could see a switch 2 in a few years, that plays switch 1 and new games...in reality it would just be a new gen nvideo cpu/gpu.... so not hard to do for their technology path.

That happened with *new* 3DS...some games were only compatible with the new one, and that splits the user base. If they could come out with an upgrade that runs new games on the original version too, that would be ideal.

#3325 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That happened with *new* 3DS...some games were only compatible with the new one, and that splits the user base. If they could come out with an upgrade that runs new games on the original version too, that would be ideal.

...but then why have a switch 2?

#3326 3 years ago

Just got the email, Shakedown: Hawaii is 33% off! $13.33

#3327 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

...but then why have a switch 2?

In theory, It would be cool “Upgraded games” could still run on OG Switch with reduced textured or framerate....and if OG games got patched with performance boosts if played on the new one.

#3328 3 years ago

I bet they call it the Switch U

#3329 3 years ago

My feeling is Nintendo is transitioning away from the home console market. I don't think they will even pretend to try and compete in that space. They will just go more and more handheld. They are already basically G3, we have had G4, G4.5 and now G5 is right around the corner. They are just out of the race at this point. Covid really helped them out, with all the kids making parents pull their hair out. They will always have their first party titles but they are going to really struggle beyond that.

#3330 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

In theory, It would be cool “Upgraded games” could still run on OG Switch with reduced textured or framerate....and if OG games got patched with performance boosts if played on the new one.

They wouldn't sell consoles then. It is too hard enough to program a game and have backward, but to make a game work on a prior gen, the QA would be too costly for most. Then if it didn't work right, people would flip out. and if I've learned anything from Pinside...people would complain the graphics suck

Quoted from timtim:

I bet they call it the Switch U

hahahha, that is the worst idea best joke

#3331 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

My feeling is Nintendo is transitioning away from the home console market. I don't think they will even pretend to try and compete in that space. They will just go more and more handheld. They are already basically G3, we have had G4, G4.5 and now G5 is right around the corner. They are just out of the race at this point. Covid really helped them out, with all the kids making parents pull their hair out. They will always have their first party titles but they are going to really struggle beyond that.

the indie scene is HUGE on the switch, so not sure how it will or is struggling? The switch is getting some big titles like the Witcher etc. If xbox brings live and gamepass to switch...#$@#$ game over!

#3332 3 years ago

"Most" people buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo published games. I know I do. I love their charm and gameplay. If I want cutting edge, I have a gaming PC for that. I might pick up a Playstation during some generations b/c I like some of the Sony exclusives as well, but that will always be in addition to whatever Nintendo has out at the time.

The Switch kind of broke the mold a bit for Nintendo with the portability with the fidelity of last generations systems. It was a good bet and it paid off.

#3333 3 years ago

I’m not saying it’s doomed or anything just that it’s niche and going to stay that way. As far as hardware They will just do minor iterations like they always have with the handheld market. There is really no point to them upgrading. They will upgrade based on price point, when the new chips are cheaper than what they are using they will drop a Switch plus or whatever they call it but there hasn’t even been a hint of it yet. I just meant struggling for content beyond that, it’s not like anyone is going to port G5 games to it.

The indie scene is far from huge, it’s enough for some small studios to squeak out a living.

#3334 3 years ago

interesting stuff

Top-Three-Game-Console-Players-Sales-Forecast-in-million-units (resized).pngTop-Three-Game-Console-Players-Sales-Forecast-in-million-units (resized).png
#3335 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I’m not saying it’s doomed or anything just that it’s niche and going to stay that way. As far as hardware They will just do minor iterations like they always have with the handheld market. There is really no point to them upgrading. They will upgrade based on price point, when the new chips are cheaper than what they are using they will drop a Switch plus or whatever they call it but there hasn’t even been a hint of it yet. I just meant struggling for content beyond that, it’s not like anyone is going to port G5 games to it.
The indie scene is far from huge, it’s enough for some small studios to squeak out a living.

Niche ? I would surely be happy to get a niche this big !

Unlike most AAA studios that sells record numbers once every 5 years (Naughty Dog typically) for games that now exceeds 100 million Dev cost excluding marketing (usually in the same amount), Nintendo consistently sells similar amounts every year on every game they produce with smaller production cost and much lower marketing costs.

At a time where studios are wondering how to manage the next gen rise in development costs while the sales prices is capped at 60$, Nintendo has no issues dealing with that, they barely spend more on dev today than they did on the 2 previous generations.

#3336 3 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

interesting stuff
[quoted image]

2021 is in the reverse order to which I prefer them. Xbox, Switch, Ps4 for me. I don't even own a PS4. The determining factor to me was mostly my friends, but I didn't even put up a fight because of the controllers. The Ps4 controllers feel like they were built for my daughter rather than me. Xbox controllers are the best of all time, and it's not close.

#3337 3 years ago

I leave you experts to it, I love the graph

#3338 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

They wouldn't sell consoles then. It is too hard enough to program a game and have backward, but to make a game work on a prior gen, the QA would be too costly for most. Then if it didn't work right, people would flip out. and if I've learned anything from Pinside...people would complain the graphics suck

hahahha, that is the worst idea best joke

Isn't Rarehero suggesting exactly what the new Xbox Series X is going to do? You'll still be able to play all new released games that are intended for the new Series X, but you'll be able to play them at a lower resolution on a current Xbox One X. It's basically how PC gaming has been for ages. Sure you can play the hot new release, but not on "ULTRA" settings!

#3339 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

The Ps4 controllers feel like they were built for my daughter rather than me. Xbox controllers are the best of all time, and it's not close.

Most people say the opposite and hate the XBOX controllers including me. PlayStation sold 64 million more consoles than XBOX also so i think that pretty much tells the story right there.

#3340 3 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Isn't rarehero suggesting exactly what the new Xbox Series X is going to do? You'll still be able to play all new released games that are intended for the new Series X, but you'll be able to play them at a lower resolution on a current Xbox One X. It's basically how PC gaming has been for ages. Sure you can play the hot new release, but not on "ULTRA" settings!

I am not aware of xbox 1 playing series x games, only that series x will try to fully support all old xbox games.

To support new games on old consoles is going to be WAY to complicated. the hardware changes in video, memory calls etc. it would require something like wii and wiiu or ps2/ps3. And that is not worth the time or effort. Having the new console support old games is easier to support..why do tech support for old consoles. and you're forcing your game devs to support it too.

#3341 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Almost 3k games on the switch today.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Switch_games_(A%E2%80%93L)

and now Crysis is coming to swtich.... I don't think the switch is niche...it has out sold the other two consoles... :shrug:

#3342 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

and now Crysis is coming to swtich....

But why?

Looks like it's coming in at $30, so might be fun to see. I don't remember how many years ago I struggled finding a balance of concessions in settings to get it to run on my gaming pc, so I have a hard time imagining switch running it well unless they've done some crazy optimizations. I also wonder if it has aged well. It was the bees knees when it was originally released in 2007, but 3d games don't often age well, in my opinion.

#3343 3 years ago

Guys your looking at data of a slice of time. Nintendo has sold like 50 million switches compared to 100 million PS4. The PS4 has hit market saturation. Also the PlayStation Network alone not including hardware or packaged goods had 12.5 billion in revenue compared to all of Nintendo at around 10.9 billion. That doesn’t include all the monsters of the industry making games. In the video game industry Nintendo is a beloved niche market. It’s not an insult there is nothing wrong with loving indies. Just like in movies there are amazing indies but compared to studio pictures there niche.

#3344 3 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

But why?
Looks like it's coming in at $30, so might be fun to see. I don't remember how many years ago I struggled finding a balance of concessions in settings to get it to run on my gaming pc, so I have a hard time imagining switch running it well unless they've done some crazy optimizations. I also wonder if it has aged well. It was the bees knees when it was originally released in 2007, but 3d games don't often age well, in my opinion.

look how pretty it is

While most "gamers" or hardcore gamers have played these big titles. Most nintendo people have not, and with younger generation picking up gaming, they missed the cool games from back then.
I remember having the beta/alpha builds of far cry, crysis, HL etc... man...when I had free time

#3345 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Guys your looking at data of a slice of time. Nintendo has sold like 50 million switches compared to 100 million PS4. The PS4 has hit market saturation. Also the PlayStation Network alone not including hardware or packaged goods had 12.5 billion in revenue compared to all of Nintendo at around 10.9 billion. That doesn’t include all the monsters of the industry making games. In the video game industry Nintendo is a beloved niche market. It’s not an insult there is nothing wrong with loving indies. Just like in movies there are amazing indies but compared to studio pictures there niche.

I think we all agree nintendo is the underdog and ps/ms are the monsters, but saying Nintendo's switch doesn't have lots of indie titles or it is a niche...how can it be a niche when the switch is has sold more than xbox which you say is a monster.

Ps4 has just under 3k games out, just about the same as switch.

I don't think the market is saturated technically, but why would people buy a ps4 when the ps5 is coming this year? The one reason would be because it is on sale and you cant afford a ps5.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3346 3 years ago

What is that?

If it's not couch co-op 4 player, it won't get played at my house. I just don't get the time to play games on my own anymore.

#3347 3 years ago

What is that?
If it's not couch co-op 4 player, it won't get played at my house. I just don't get the time to play games on my own anymore.

I just did a podcast about coop and 2-4 player games! AAAHHHHH I miss the n64 days. Cardboard on the tv, so we can play goldeneye hahahhah. dang...just isn't the same anymore :/ I was hoping streets of rage 4 and minecraft dungeons would change that some, but no cross play yet and none of my switch friends have purchased those games as they are on xbox gamepass

#3348 3 years ago

What is that?

Same here. I stopped playing online games when I had kids. I used to play a lot of Call of Duty, but you can't go on a killstreak with an infant crying for a bottle.

#3349 3 years ago

Maybe read some news on that Crysis port. It literally looked so bad they delayed it on all platforms excepts Switch. On Switch they said well that’s just as good as it gets and release it. I do think it’s cool they managed to get it ported as Crysis was a landmark. It is 13 years old though and many of the Crysis hard core feel the downgrade to switch is tarnishing it’s legacy. Crysis was a special game with a cult like following.

I never said Xbox is a monster it took a serious beating this generation a shadow of its former self.

I also never said switch doesn’t have a lot of indies. Just that indies is a niche market.

#3350 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Maybe read some news on that Crysis port. It literally looked so bad they delayed it on all platforms excepts Switch. On Switch they said well that’s just as good as it gets and release it. I do think it’s cool they managed to get it ported as Crysis was a landmark. It is 13 years old though and many of the Crysis hard core feel the downgrade to switch is tarnishing it’s legacy. Crysis was a special game with a cult like following.
I never said Xbox is a monster it took a serious beating this generation a shadow of its former self.
I also never said switch doesn’t have a lot of indies. Just that indies is a niche market.

You're right, my bad. You didn't call out xbox. I clump the ps and ms boxes together in my head as they are the juggernauts even if x1 didn't sell well.

I suppose indies are niche, but some go bonkers huge...probably a small % though.

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/page/67?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.