q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg
There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 89.
#2951 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Cases the game comes with. One has like a Sega genesis case for all the games

Oh I see. thanks.

#2952 4 years ago

it's funny that you posted this right before this happened to me:

I have a friend that works @ target so I was making my way to his store around 9am on friday. as I was walking to the electronics department, there was a young couple walking in the same direction in front of me. they both weren't wearing jackets (it was in the upper 30s outside) and had long nametag lanyards hanging out of their pockets so I attributed this to the fact that they were target employees.

as I reached the electronics department, the employee there if she could help me find anything. I told her that I was there to pick up animal crossing. upon hearing that, the couple in front of me (which were proceeding past the dept.), turned around and informed me that the gamestop in the strip mall next door was open and that they had animal crossing in stock and that I should buy it there.

I respectively told them that I was here and they had the games (and target was giving a free journal with the game), so why would I leave to go to gamestop? their response was that gamestop was open early and that they had the game IN STOCK! again, I replied, why would I go there when I came here to get the game and target obviously had the game in stock?

they continued to argue with me that I should give my business to gamestop. I can't believe their audacity (and the fact that target's security didn't come and throw them out of the store)

this was really a cheap and low down thing to do and makes me view gamestop in even a darker light than before

#2953 4 years ago
Quoted from Gamer85:

Yea sorry, BOTW was a total dud for me. Maybe ill pick it up again down the road if I get bored but imo, thats not Zelda game. Not looking for that kind of grind. From what ive read, it gets better after 10-20 hrs. To me, having to wait that long for a game to be good, isnt a good game.

I felt the same way about BOTW for a while - it seemed SO different from the typical Zelda game. Then my wife and son picked it up. Man, was I wrong!

#2954 4 years ago

Animal Crossing New Horizons:

I got Pears, Cherries, and Coconuts

SW-4617-8089-4497 (Northern Hemisphere)

#2955 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I have a friend that works @ target so I was making my way to his store around 9am on friday. as I was walking to the electronics department, there was a young couple walking in the same direction in front of me. they both weren't wearing jackets (it was in the upper 30s outside) and had long nametag lanyards hanging out of their pockets so I attributed this to the fact that they were target employees.
as I reached the electronics department, the employee there if she could help me find anything. I told her that I was there to pick up animal crossing. upon hearing that, the couple in front of me (which were proceeding past the dept.), turned around and informed me that the gamestop in the strip mall next door was open and that they had animal crossing in stock and that I should buy it there.
I respectively told them that I was here and they had the games (and target was giving a free journal with the game), so why would I leave to go to gamestop? their response was that gamestop was open early and that they had the game IN STOCK! again, I replied, why would I go there when I came here to get the game and target obviously had the game in stock?
they continued to argue with me that I should give my business to gamestop. I can't believe their audacity (and the fact that target's security didn't come and throw them out of the store)
this was really a cheap and low down thing to do and makes me view gamestop in even a darker light than before

Wait, I dont' get it. Were they actually Gamestop employees?

#2956 4 years ago
Quoted from Gamer85:

Yea sorry, BOTW was a total dud for me. Maybe ill pick it up again down the road if I get bored but imo, thats not Zelda game. Not looking for that kind of grind. From what ive read, it gets better after 10-20 hrs. To me, having to wait that long for a game to be good, isnt a good game.

It is a modern day remaking of the first Legend of Zelda with current gen features. Just like the first Legend of Zelda the designers want you to create the story and journey in your head, doing whatever you want, exploring wherever you want. It was remarkably refreshing and bold in an age where many games are so coddling and hold your hand so much you just follow along. I cannot wait for BOTW 2.

#2957 4 years ago

I think its fair that Nintendo should have done more to hand hold players early on. I loved the way it opened but I totally understand it threw a lot of people off. Then you have the idiots that say it took them 10-20 hours to get past that initial section. I don't think they should have changed it to hold everyone's hand but did something like a add some enemies that force you in the direction you need to go after a certain amount of time. There is a tonne of feedback just like Gamer85 from people that never got far enough to even understand the game. It is such a masterpiece and I never had to grind.

#2958 4 years ago
Quoted from Gamer85:

Are you into the old style zelda style? Which zelda games do you like?

#2959 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I think its fair that Nintendo should have done more to hand hold players early on. I loved the way it opened but I totally understand it threw a lot of people off. Then you have the idiots that say it took them 10-20 hours to get past that initial section. I don't think they should have changed it to hold everyone's hand but did something like a add some enemies that force you in the direction you need to go after a certain amount of time. There is a tonne of feedback just like Gamer85 from people that never got far enough to even understand the game. It is such a masterpiece and I never had to grind.

Not sure I agree. I think they could keep it in different games, like Pokemon. Like BOTW is the open world zelda, and they could still make a zelda game that plays old school, just with a different title. Similar to pokemon where the go types are the "easy handhold" and the main line game sword/shield keep the main feel going. I think zelda sold so well because the open world atmosphere. WHich is huge now, gta5, etc.

#2960 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Not sure I agree. I think they could keep it in different games, like Pokemon. Like BOTW is the open world zelda, and they could still make a zelda game that plays old school, just with a different title. Similar to pokemon where the go types are the "easy handhold" and the main line game sword/shield keep the main feel going. I think zelda sold so well because the open world atmosphere. WHich is huge now, gta5, etc.

My point had nothing to do with the games style. What I meant by hand hold is just player engagement, every game has to make sure that as many people as possible get far enough to see what your game has to offer. BOTW clearly failed that for a percentage of players, the old school Zeldas have the same problem. Back in the day plenty of people got stumped right at the start of Ocarina and didn't crawl into the hole and find the sword. It's about making sure people get to the first epic moment. Twilight Princess had a bit of a grind at the start as well. Nintendo should have a helper that kicks in for those that get stuck. Back in the day Nintendo could get away with because people just stuck with it, today there are a million options people just walk away and never look back.

#2961 4 years ago

The original is my favorite. I have always preferred the 2D top down zeldas. I was never got hugely into them later on... Would love to see some of the N64 ones remade...

Ill give it another go down the road...

Would also love to see Goldeneye remade for the N64! (sorry, off topic ha)

#2962 4 years ago

Ive always liked Gamestop.. maybe because I worked there back when it was Funcoland and then merged into Gamestop, or that its one of the few places you can sell and buy used games...

But what are they thinking and how exactly do they feel they are essential? There are a lot of ways they could still be operating, even on the line of curbside pickup with order or simply pushing their online ordering.

I never really understood the hate for the company. From what I gather, most of it comes from people feeling they are getting ripped off on the trade in prices. But to me, its like anything else, if you dont like the deal, dont do it and sell elsewhere. Nobody is forcing you to trade stuff in.

#2963 4 years ago

Gamestop used to be great but the past two years their choice in who they hire has really gone downhill - at least at the one I visit. This store's employees go out of their way to berate your game choices if your preferences differ from theirs. They even berated my kid when he went if for some Fornite stuff, it was really unbelievable and unnecessary.

Also Gamestop is more like a spencers gift store for gamers than a videogame store now. If you don't preorder you can't get a new title on launch day in most cases and you will get berated again for not pre-ordering. You can't find the rare games like you used to, can't get any real recommendations from the employees because they all hate working there, its just not the same place it once was.

That is why I avoid Gamestop now.

#2964 4 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Gamestop used to be great but the past two years their choice in who they hire has really gone downhill - at least at the one I visit. This store's employees go out of their way to berate your game choices if your preferences differ from theirs. They even berated my kid when he went if for some Fornite stuff, it was really unbelievable and unnecessary.
Also Gamestop is more like a spencers gift store for gamers than a videogame store now. If you don't preorder you can't get a new title on launch day in most cases and you will get berated again for not pre-ordering. You can't find the rare games like you used to, can't get any real recommendations from the employees because they all hate working there, its just not the same place it once was.
That is why I avoid Gamestop now.

Oh wow, thats a change for sure and id agree, those employees sound horrible.

It is certainly a much different store now. Its filled with all sorts of crap now besides games. Back when I worked there, it was mainly just games. People would always come in to chat about the games and we were happy to do that and of course offer recommendations.

For your situation, I would do the same! And to be honest, I dont visit them too often either myself. I feel like an old man going in there these days ha.

#2965 4 years ago

Jackbox games is "giving away" Drawful 2 on the Switch for $.09. They are actually giving it away on Steam. Very cool of them!

https://jackboxgames.com/were-giving-away-drawful-2-for-free-for-three-weeks/

#2966 4 years ago
Quoted from Gamer85:

Oh wow, thats a change for sure and id agree, those employees sound horrible.
It is certainly a much different store now. Its filled with all sorts of crap now besides games. Back when I worked there, it was mainly just games. People would always come in to chat about the games and we were happy to do that and of course offer recommendations.
For your situation, I would do the same! And to be honest, I dont visit them too often either myself. I feel like an old man going in there these days ha.

Gamestop is in terrible financial trouble, I think because so many people are buying games online, and they have competition from Target, Walmart,etc. That's also why they have all the other crap in there -figures and whatnot. Nobody cares about the artwork or packaging of a game enough to drive out to the store, and hiring jerk employees is only going to make people stop going entirely. Same thing happened with CDs & music stores. I wouldnt' be surprised if Gamestop goes out of business during this shutdown

#2967 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

yep

#2968 4 years ago

i only get something from gamestop if they have a pre-order bonus that is way better than anywhere else. i think the last time was the metroid 2 remake on 3ds that came with a samus keychain.

or if they have a crazy deal going on. occasionally they do a nice retro game sale and i pick up a few things

#2969 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This reminds me of one of my favorite Ken Ms:

Daniel Stern (resized).jpgDaniel Stern (resized).jpg
#2970 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Gamestop is in terrible financial trouble, I think because so many people are buying games online, and they have competition from Target, Walmart,etc. That's also why they have all the other crap in there -figures and whatnot. Nobody cares about the artwork or packaging of a game enough to drive out to the store, and hiring jerk employees is only going to make people stop going entirely. Same thing happened with CDs & music stores. I wouldnt' be surprised if Gamestop goes out of business during this shutdown

Yea I hear ya on that. I often visit Best Buy for my purchases as well. But I do like how they trade games. Not sure if they are still doing the older system stuff still..

Personally, I will always buy physical media over digital so I like to see stores staying in business for this. But yes, Gamespot has a lot of competition these days.

#2971 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

My point had nothing to do with the games style. What I meant by hand hold is just player engagement, every game has to make sure that as many people as possible get far enough to see what your game has to offer. BOTW clearly failed that for a percentage of players, the old school Zeldas have the same problem. Back in the day plenty of people got stumped right at the start of Ocarina and didn't crawl into the hole and find the sword. It's about making sure people get to the first epic moment. Twilight Princess had a bit of a grind at the start as well. Nintendo should have a helper that kicks in for those that get stuck. Back in the day Nintendo could get away with because people just stuck with it, today there are a million options people just walk away and never look back.

but they bought it :-p and sales were huge. What about too many games doing handholding? Part of the experience is to just explore and figure it out on your own, and again, I think botw did it well.

#2972 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

but they bought it :-p and sales were huge. What about too many games doing handholding? Part of the experience is to just explore and figure it out on your own, and again, I think botw did it well.

They also dumped it used quickly and that is something all gaming companies want to avoid. BOTW did well but telemetry doesn't lie and there was a significant percentage of users with the exact same sentiments as Gamer85. As I clearly stated I didn't believe they should hand hold everyone, but they should have detected the users that where just aimlessly wandering around the starting area and did something to crank up the engagement and push them forward. The rest of BOTW did a really good job with the dynamic AI and it was a nice even ramp until you started bitch slapping the Lynels. Then it pretty much fell apart.

#2973 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

They also dumped it used quickly and that is something all gaming companies want to avoid. BOTW did well but telemetry doesn't lie and there was a significant percentage of users with the exact same sentiments as Gamer85. As I clearly stated I didn't believe they should hand hold everyone, but they should have detected the users that where just aimlessly wandering around the starting area and did something to crank up the engagement and push them forward. The rest of BOTW did a really good job with the dynamic AI and it was a nice even ramp until you started bitch slapping the Lynels. Then it pretty much fell apart.

I think this was mainly my problem. Most open world games will give you bit of direction at first and then let you go off. For me, it was a bit aimless, no information on weapons and such, so I was faced with enemies and no weapon at all. I still am not a fan of the weapons breaking like that... I still had the question of what to do when a weapon breaks and you dont have another one. Seemed the answer was just run away. So running away from enemies until I find a weapon that will break very shortly after and then having to repeat that cycle seemed not fun in the least.

Obviously from reading on here, seems i was playing it wrong I guess.

#2974 4 years ago

What's crazy about BOTW to me is that I have always hated open-world/RPG type games. I'm more of the "look, a bunch of enemies (charge into them head first)" FPS type guy. Before BOTW, Goldeneye was my favorite game of all-time. I hated Ocarina of Time. Can't remember much about it, but I remember not liking it at all. I can see how BOTW seems slow at first, but once you get past the initial opening land area (I forget the name), holy-cow. I also absolutely loved the puzzle shrines. I couldn't, and still can't, get enough of those. I've almost 100%'d the game, and am still playing a few hours a week to just try to find the last 4 shrines. That said, I can understand the sentiments that some don't want to put hours into a game to determine if they will like it moving forward, but this one is definitely worth it. The first few hours are somewhat of a grind, but the gameplay rewards you for staying with it.

#2975 4 years ago
Quoted from Gamer85:

I think this was mainly my problem. Most open world games will give you bit of direction at first and then let you go off. For me, it was a bit aimless, no information on weapons and such, so I was faced with enemies and no weapon at all. I still am not a fan of the weapons breaking like that... I still had the question of what to do when a weapon breaks and you dont have another one. Seemed the answer was just run away. So running away from enemies until I find a weapon that will break very shortly after and then having to repeat that cycle seemed not fun in the least.
Obviously from reading on here, seems i was playing it wrong I guess.

Yeah, if they detected uses that were kinda lost and kicked off a little mini mission, small quest that you had to do some little task and exchange for a half way decent weapon I think the game would have changed significantly. Nintendo is still kinda living in the old days that once you spent money on a game your were going to play it through. All that data is tracked and we know the exact percentage of players that played less than X minutes and those players have a almost no chance of buying the next iteration of the franchise or at best will buy it used. No company just goes, the game sold well that is all we care about, they study every lost user.

#2976 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

What's crazy about BOTW to me is that I have always hated open-world/RPG type games. I'm more of the "look, a bunch of enemies (charge into them head first)" FPS type guy. Before BOTW, Goldeneye was my favorite game of all-time. I hated Ocarina of Time. Can't remember much about it, but I remember not liking it at all. I can see how BOTW seems slow at first, but once you get past the initial opening land area (I forget the name), holy-cow. I also absolutely loved the puzzle shrines. I couldn't, and still can't, get enough of those. I've almost 100%'d the game, and am still playing a few hours a week to just try to find the last 4 shrines. That said, I can understand the sentiments that some don't want to put hours into a game to determine if they will like it moving forward, but this one is definitely worth it. The first few hours are somewhat of a grind, but the gameplay rewards you for staying with it.

Ugghhh, I sold my game and now im feeling that I need to give it another chance.

But first, I am going to play Link's Awakening. I love the visuals on that but hate the blur!

#2977 4 years ago
Quoted from Gamer85:

Ugghhh, I sold my game and now im feeling that I need to give it another chance.
But first, I am going to play Link's Awakening. I love the visuals on that but hate the blur!

That blur drove me crazy too, but I did eventually get over it and enjoy the game. BOTW is the better game and once you get rolling you will spend way more time just adventuring, it really is a masterpiece. Link's Awakening is a really great gameboy game with a little polish sold at full console game price. You should be able to score it used for the right value. It was not worth the launch sticker price compared to other games of that price point.

#2978 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

That blur drove me crazy too, but I did eventually get over it and enjoy the game. BOTW is the better game and once you get rolling you will spend way more time just adventuring, it really is a masterpiece. Link's Awakening is a really great gameboy game with a little polish sold at full console game price. You should be able to score it used for the right value. It was not worth the launch sticker price compared to other games of that price point.

Ive always loved the 2D Zelda games and I hope for more of them in the future. I already have it but didnt pay full price.

#2979 4 years ago

On another note.. Can they please release something similar to Wii Bowling!!??

#2980 4 years ago

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/03/rumour_new_info_about_the_legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_2_emerges

The video in the article is from June 2019, but I'm eagerly waiting any info regarding BOTW2.

#2981 4 years ago

Anyone have any recommendations on a game that is similar to BOTW in terms of open world and puzzle dungeons? I'm trying to find something to hold me over until BOTW2. For reference, I'm not a fan of the anime style games. Is Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim close?

#2982 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Anyone have any recommendations on a game that is similar to BOTW in terms of open world and puzzle dungeons? I'm trying to find something to hold me over until BOTW2. For reference, I'm not a fan of the anime style games. Is Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim close?

curious about this too.. I have not seen a lot of games like BOTW lately. Shadow of the Colossus on PS3/4 is pretty awesome, but far more about the experience than the "stuff"

#2983 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

witcher 3? I haven't played it, so I don't know if it is full of puzzles, but it has the open world mission stuff, skyrim would be close too

#2984 4 years ago
Quoted from Gamer85:

On another note.. Can they please release something similar to Wii Bowling!!??

Sort of.... 1:02m in

#2985 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Skyrim doesnt have puzzles like that really.

Guys, if you have never played Skyrim, you are really missing out. One of the best games ever made.

Witcher 3 is pretty good also. To my memory, it doesnt have puzzles really either.

#2986 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I had mentioned Horizon Zero Dawn in a previous post that made me want to pick up BOTW again. Very similar in terms of open world roam and do as you please, while still having main and side quests that do a much better job than BOTW does.

#2987 4 years ago

Hi,
Does anyone know where i can buy a Switch (not lite)? I'm in SE michigan if that makes a difference, but i'd prefer to order it. And I'd like to pay the normal retail price if possible.
Thanks!

#2988 4 years ago
Quoted from sjf2112:

Hi,
Does anyone know where i can buy a Switch (not lite)? I'm in SE michigan if that makes a difference, but i'd prefer to order it. And I'd like to pay the normal retail price if possible.
Thanks!

is there a switch shortage now too? I would think any of these stores: target, walmart, bestbuy, gamestop...

#2989 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

is there a switch shortage now too? I would think any of these stores: target, walmart, bestbuy, gamestop...

as far as i can tell, they're all sold out. you can find the lite out there, but i need the regular one.

#2990 4 years ago
Quoted from sjf2112:

as far as i can tell, they're all sold out. you can find the lite out there, but i need the regular one.

wow thats crazy. maybe gamestop or a pawnshop would have a used one, or craigslist/facebook marketplace

#2991 4 years ago

wow thats crazy. maybe gamestop or a pawnshop would have a used one, or craigslist/facebook marketplace

game stop shows they have on near you (used)

Main Place of Royal Oak - GameStop
Closed Until CL:OS
450 S MAIN ST ROYAL OAK, MI 48067

not sure if you are on lockdown of if they are closed in michigan tho

website generically says they have a curb side pickup but not sure which stores that works for

#2992 4 years ago

Yes, its been on the news that there are shortages and pricing is going up.

#2993 4 years ago

I just ordered Shadowgate and RealMYST from Limited Run Games.

Excited for those...

#2994 4 years ago
Quoted from Gamer85:

I just ordered Shadowgate and RealMYST from Limited Run Games.
Excited for those...

i scored a copy of super rare games Mechstermination Force right before it sold out today, like probably got one of the last 10 copies. stoked for that one.

#2995 4 years ago
Quoted from sjf2112:

Hi,
Thanks!

In stock as of right now at Best Buy, at least for shipping and my local pick-up. Good luck!

#2996 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

In stock as of right now at Best Buy, at least for shipping and my local pick-up. Good luck!

Just looked. sold out but thanks. appeared they were in stock for a bit.

#2997 4 years ago
Quoted from sjf2112:

Just looked. sold out but thanks. appeared they were in stock for a bit.

Crazy...was literally available 4 minutes ago. Sorry man. I would keep refreshing their page. Stock fluctuates often.

#2998 4 years ago

Is the normal price $400+ on these? There are several on ebay right now at that price.

#2999 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Crazy...was literally available 4 minutes ago. Sorry man. I would keep refreshing their page. Stock fluctuates often.

i know. i just added it again, it let me get to the payment screen then told me sorry, sold out.

Normal price is $299

#3000 4 years ago
Quoted from sjf2112:

i know. i just added it again, it let me get to the payment screen then told me sorry, sold out.
Normal price is $299

Just checked my local FB marketplace and some people are selling their used ones for $200-250 and there are some selling them new for $450. Might be a way to go, just wipe it down clean when you get it.

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/page/60 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.