q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg
There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 89.
#202 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Nobody is perfect

My brain just glazes over. I just wanna run and shoot and do all the action in real time. I don't get turn based stuff at all.

#203 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Also looked it up. Looks super interesting. Never played xcom but am super into turn based games like FFT, dragon warrior, chrono trigger, etc...... What would you compaired it to for older games?

#204 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Also looked it up. Looks super interesting. Never played xcom but am super into turn based games like FFT, dragon warrior, chrono trigger, etc...... What would you compaired it to for older games?

FFT isn't terribly different other than this is a cover shooter. So the use of cover is paramount to winning.

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Do not overlook Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. Probably my overall favorite game on the system, and yes that includes BotW and SMO.

It should be on sale on BF!

Quoted from Rarehero:

My brain just glazes over. I just wanna run and shoot and do all the action in real time. I don't get turn based stuff at all.

You need doom!

#206 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

You need doom!

I generally don't like first person shooters, I hate the original Doom, but I have to admit this new Doom looks pretty slick. I do like Bio Shock & Metroid Prime - I might actually like this version of Doom.

#207 6 years ago

I️ figured since you wanted a run n gun. It is a fast paced run shooter. Good game to tide you over until Metroid.

Otherwise wolf2 is coming next month? I forgot when.

#208 6 years ago

Yeah, I'm at like 135 after last night with my 5th world not sucked dry of extra 'easy' moons yet. No spoilers needed, but I'm having a hard time fathoming that this game still has like 800 moons lying around. Doing some simple math, either the later worlds are stupendously massive in size (2x Tostarena size) or there's an awful lot of them.

some of the advanced jumping tricks required to get to some of these things is beyond ludicrous. Props to the design team for making things that are difficult but achievable... I just have to wonder if *I'll* ever 'get gud' enough to get to them all. =\

#209 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I️ figured since you wanted a run n gun. It is a fast paced run shooter. Good game to tide you over until Metroid.
Otherwise wolf2 is coming next month? I forgot when.

I don't necessarily want a run and gun. I just like action based not turn based. It's why I love Zelda but won't play Final
Fantasy. As far as shooting goes, Splatoon 2 pretty much has me covered. That's the perfect shooter for my sensibilities.

#210 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't necessarily want a run and gun. I just like action based not turn based. It's why I love Zelda but won't play Final
Fantasy. As far as shooting goes, Splatoon 2 pretty much has me covered. That's the perfect shooter for my sensibilities.

I would highly suggest you check out FFXV, it's amazing. FF hasn't been turn based for the last few iterations (although you can turn on turn based fighting in the options for those that prefer to play it the old school way).

#211 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, I'm at like 135 after last night with my 5th world not sucked dry of extra 'easy' moons yet. No spoilers needed, but I'm having a hard time fathoming that this game still has like 800 moons lying around. Doing some simple math, either the later worlds are stupendously massive in size (2x Tostarena size) or there's an awful lot of them.
some of the advanced jumping tricks required to get to some of these things is beyond ludicrous. Props to the design team for making things that are difficult but achievable... I just have to wonder if *I'll* ever 'get gud' enough to get to them all. =\</blockquote

it makes more sense after you complete the story.

#212 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

it makes more sense after you complete the story.

Getting there. About to just blow through it because there doesn't seem to be any benefit whatsoever to collecting more than the needed number up front.

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Getting there. About to just blow through it because there doesn't seem to be any benefit whatsoever to collecting more than the needed number up front.

There really isn’t, just get enough to move on and continue forward. 5th world? Mmm you got a lot of game left!

There are hidden moons that are in plain sight and some are super hidden. I love it. I crushed some more out last night in the sand kingdom. Man I’m using a guide but I never would of found a handful without. Pretty fun even using a guide!

#214 6 years ago

Not using a guide until I absolutely have to.

Still in shock that someone already 100%'ed this in one sitting, and it was only 17 hours and 20 minutes.

#215 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Not using a guide until I absolutely have to.
Still in shock that someone already 100%'ed this in one sitting, and it was only 17 hours and 20 minutes.

The speed runners probably can beat it in 30-40 min now so I could see that once they know where all the moons are.

There are so many moons that you just idk how you’d find them. If you don’t use the guide, just make sure to go everywhere and inspect everything

#216 6 years ago

My daughter has started rumbling that she wants a switch for Christmas, so I think I'm out of excuses.

#217 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

The speed runners probably can beat it in 30-40 min now so I could see that once they know where all the moons are.
There are so many moons that you just idk how you’d find them. If you don’t use the guide, just make sure to go everywhere and inspect everything

I have friends who make fun of the DK64 game because all you do is collect map pieces and bannana for no reason. Those same people love Super mario Odyssey. I dont under how one sucks, but when mario does it.. its ok.

#218 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

There are so many moons that you just idk how you’d find them.

Someone did? I mean...even at 135, we've found moons in the most retarded places imaginable. I know where one is that I just *CAN'T* GET TO because I'm not good enough with manipulating the hat yet to cross a giant poison pit.. I can't see it, but I know it's over there because:

Every internal moon location has two moons, and the only place I haven't been to, is the far side of that one room. I made it across the middle room on a few attempts, but this other one basically requires me to make that perfect jump series three times to get across? FML.

Literally: Look EVERYWHERE, even places you think should be impossible to go. I haven't found any benefit to it YET, but like for example...(ERMAGERD MINOR SPOILERS HERE) when you go back to the very first tutorial stage, and can take over the paratroopa goombas, you can actually APPARENTLY fly *under* the hats that are down in the mist. I've only checked one so far, no idea if there's a hidden moon under one of the others, but hey...now I have to go check them all. >_<;;

#219 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Someone did? I mean...even at 135, we've found moons in the most retarded places imaginable. I know where one is that I just *CAN'T* GET TO because I'm not good enough with manipulating the hat yet to cross a giant poison pit.. I can't see it, but I know it's over there because:
Every internal moon location has two moons, and the only place I haven't been to, is the far side of that one room. I made it across the middle room on a few attempts, but this other one basically requires me to make that perfect jump series three times to get across? FML.
Literally: Look EVERYWHERE, even places you think should be impossible to go. I haven't found any benefit to it YET, but like for example...(ERMAGERD MINOR SPOILERS HERE) when you go back to the very first tutorial stage, and can take over the paratroopa goombas, you can actually APPARENTLY fly *under* the hats that are down in the mist. I've only checked one so far, no idea if there's a hidden moon under one of the others, but hey...now I have to go check them all. >_<;;

The guide book shows them all, and places like ign and others are getting video/walk throughs on how to.

A handful of them took me 20+ tries. I’m enjoying the challenge! Almost 100% wood kingdom then continuing the next to 100%.

Tip: shaking the controller can do moves/abilities not able to be done by just buttons.

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I have friends who make fun of the DK64 game because all you do is collect map pieces and bannana for no reason. Those same people love Super mario Odyssey. I dont under how one sucks, but when mario does it.. its ok.

I couldn't get until DK64 because it's so confusing where the hubs end and the actual levels begin. It's really convoluted - in a platformer, I just wanna jump into the levels and go. DK64 takes me like 45 min just to find a level! Mario's design is tight. There are a lot of hidden moons but you're never confused as to the overall progress and goals. I love that there is NO hub world. Just giant levels to explore and play in.

#221 6 years ago

Yeah, I haven't played with the controllers in the shell or attached to the system, feels very unnatural. 2 player co-op is like "ludicrous challenge mode" as well. Like just the lack of camera rotation without holding down a button kills 2 player for me. Over 200 after my New Donk City run last night. =P

I guess that's part of my complaint. If I need to use any kind of guide to find more than..oh... 5% of the moons, I'll be surprised. The game gives a lot of hints, at least on the inital runthrough. I have three amiibo that I was cycling through on the hint bot when trying to get extra moons, but I've stopped doing that until I finish the story. Typically getting the 3 from the hints takes long enough that the 5 minute timer is reset before I get back, but I've also made terribly inefficient use of the map warp. Heh. =)

#222 6 years ago

590 moons!!! Almost to the magical 600!!!!

The game only gets harder the more you complete.....

Tip of the day. Collect as many coins as you can! They come in useful dying and buying stuff

#223 6 years ago

Getting all the moons is going to be a massive chore. Sorry, I like the game but I can't see why everyone thinks it's so perfect. Ah well, I'll just buy moons 10 at a time in the shop.

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from insx:

l, I'll just buy moons 10 at a time in the shop.

Good luck with that....

I'm sitting around 3k coins right now. Heard you need something like 10x that to buy everything, but I haven't run into any money issues yet.

#225 6 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Getting all the moons is going to be a massive chore. Sorry, I like the game but I can't see why everyone thinks it's so perfect. Ah well, I'll just buy moons 10 at a time in the shop.

those moons don't mark them off your list though. You just need those after you collect every one, to meet the 999 task

#226 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

those moons don't mark them off your list though. You just need those after you collect every one, to meet the 999 task

but they do power up the Odyssey.

#227 6 years ago
Quoted from insx:

you do what is fun for you.

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Quoted from Gov:

you do what is fun for you.

Yup, whatever allows you to enjoy the game.

#229 6 years ago

I now have 1 moon!

Rock & Roll.

#230 6 years ago

I bought the Switch and Mario over the weekend. Having a toddler who goes to the shelves and pulls down all my disc-based games and opens them, I decided this was going to be a digital download only console for me.

POTENTIAL SPOILER BELOW:
I didn't look up much about the game prior to buying, and I was super surprised and excited to see the T-Rex!

#231 6 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I bought the Switch and Mario over the weekend. Having a toddler who goes to the shelves and pulls down all my disc-based games and opens them, I decided this was going to be a digital download only console for me.
POTENTIAL SPOILER BELOW:
I didn't look up much about the game prior to buying, and I was super surprised and excited to see the T-Rex!

Not a spoiler, the T-Rex was the first thing shown in the trailer & he's on the box art too.

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not a spoiler, the T-Rex was the first thing shown in the trailer & he's on the box art too.

Ah, cool. I didn't see the box since I bought it digitally.

Here's hoping Switch gets a New Super Mario Bros variation. My wife and I loved playing through the Wii and Wii U versions.

#233 6 years ago

8/10.def not 10/10 game

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from peaceboy666:

8/10.def not 10/10 game

Hard to find fault with that well-reasoned argument.

#235 6 years ago
Quoted from peaceboy666:

8/10.def not 10/10 game

I give it a 46 billion out of 10. So there.

#236 6 years ago

Some possible good news (for me at least), Jeff Kaplan (the director of overwatch) has confirmed that, "I'm loving the Switch! My second favorite gaming platform of all time is the 3DS. Getting OW on the Switch is very challenging for us. But we're always open minded about exploring possible platforms." How do you all feel about this and other big title games possibly getting ported over to the switch?

#237 6 years ago

Can't wait for a smash Bros release!

#238 6 years ago

Just got Odyssey.... amazing best Mario since N64

#239 6 years ago

Anyone playing it multi-player?

I'm not enjoying multi-player as much as I had hoped. That alone lowers it from a perfect score for me. I don't know. Maybe I went into it with the wrong expectations of a robust 2-player experience. After playing as the hat last night, I just found myself frustrated trying to direct my wife where to go with Mario. I might as well just watch her play. A few times I tried directing the camera and she walked Mario right off a cliff...

Super Mario 3D World had some good multi-player, but was way too easy.

The best multi-player Mario seems to be the New Super Mario Bros series.

#240 6 years ago

I'm not enjoying multi-player as much as I had hoped. That alone lowers it from a perfect score for me. I don't know. Maybe I went into it with the wrong expectations of a robust 2-player experience. After playing as the hat last night, I just found myself frustrated trying to direct my wife where to go with Mario. I might as well just watch her play. A few times I tried directing the camera and she walked Mario right off a cliff...

Mario's coop. mmm. Nintendo is good at throwing coop into games for families and playing with kids. It will not be the "BEST" way to play frustration free, however it is a great way to enjoy the game with someone. Similar to Galaxy series, but Odysseys is more involved. If you want a real coop game, get snipper clips, overcooked, 1-2 switch, mario kart, bomberman or even rayman. There are tons of indie games on the eshop with good/decent coop.

NSMB/3dmw was good as you had your own players...the use of the cap can be pretty hard as coop.

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from Avi8er:

Some possible good news (for me at least), Jeff Kaplan (the director of overwatch) has confirmed that, "I'm loving the Switch! My second favorite gaming platform of all time is the 3DS. Getting OW on the Switch is very challenging for us. But we're always open minded about exploring possible platforms." How do you all feel about this and other big title games possibly getting ported over to the switch?

I already have 3 copies of Overwatch so....nope.

#242 6 years ago
Quoted from Avi8er:

The reason I like Nintendo is for Nintendo games. I'm not a fan of PC games, their "scene", or their aesthetic. If I wanted to play those games I'd just get a PS4.

#243 6 years ago

Have a switch. Beat Zelda and I bought Odyssey and the guide book for my daughter and I to play together soon. Very excited

#244 6 years ago

Anyone else enjoying the music as much as I am?

#245 6 years ago

the multiplayer is fantastic for playing with a young child, but I could see it being pretty boring if playing with 2 capable players.

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from resipsa:

the multiplayer is fantastic for playing with a young child, but I could see it being pretty boring if playing with 2 capable players.

Fantastic if it's 2 young kids, maybe. Playing with your own kid? Frustrating as hell, and my 7 year old is a pretty competent Overwatch player. The camera is dumber than a sack of bricks. The game isn't designed for that. They need options to change the camera distance from Mario, or to have it be static facing the direction Mario is, in order for 2p co-op to be viable, IMO. Having to stop, hold down a button, then use the stick to rotate the camera sucks. :\

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Fantastic if it's 2 young kids, maybe. Playing with your own kid? Frustrating as hell, and my 7 year old is a pretty competent Overwatch player. The camera is dumber than a sack of bricks. The game isn't designed for that. They need options to change the camera distance from Mario, or to have it be static facing the direction Mario is, in order for 2p co-op to be viable, IMO. Having to stop, hold down a button, then use the stick to rotate the camera sucks. :\

I use a set of joy-cons and my son plays as Cappy with one single joy con. Eliminates most problems except when he throws crappy and forgets to reel him back in.

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from Staythirsty:

I use a set of joy-cons and my son plays as Cappy with one single joy con. Eliminates most problems except when he throws crappy and forgets to reel him back in.

Oh, see, I still only have the 2 it came with. I didn't know you could DO that. I needed to buy an extra set for Bomberman anyways, so there's another reason! That makes WAY more sense LMFAO.

#249 6 years ago

Trying to play with one joy con was horrid!

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from resipsa:

Yep, my son is 4 1/2 and has a good time with the game. I'm surprised its not more frustrating actually. From what I can tell player 1 still has full control over Mario so if your extra player is eating candy instead of doing what he's supposed to in the game you can still play just fine.

I play with the two joycons detached and my son uses the Pro Controller for cappy.

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/page/5?hl=staythirsty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.